Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-22-2012, 01:33 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blogs all ending

Hi is it just me all my fav blogs are taking a break.Can someone please explain.I had no idea where to post this .I really dont understand so if someone knows why most of my fav blogs are having a break I would appreciate knowing.Thanks Junee
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 01:49 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

It might help to know what blogs you subscribe to, and how you receive notification? I know that we all go through busy patches and can't always post regularly, but I can't imagine that that's happened to all your favourite bloggers at once . If you get email notification, maybe there's a problem with that - I know that for Mac users, a recent upgrade caused problems along those lines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 02:02 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I know a lot of my Stampin' Up! demo friends are taking blogging (and work in general) breaks this summer to recharge. I don't know what blogs you subscribe to, but maybe that's it? I however really try not to miss a single day in the blog world, so if your 'other cyber friends' have left you hanging, come check me out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 02:27 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I agree with Sabrina - it would be useful to know how you usually see the updates and whether there might be a technology problem rather than something else.

Otherwise, I think things online often quieten down over the summer. People have kids at home over the summer break from school, take their vacation, have house guests etc etc - those all mean less time for crafting and therefore less to blog about. It could be as simple as that.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 04:28 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm one of those people that ended her five year old blog this week. There were a number of factors in my decision, but here are a few of my reasons.

For starters, I feel that blogging and blog viewing, in general, are on the decline. There are a few people out there that have wildly successful blogs, but they tend to be linked to some design team. I had to ask myself, "Why am I putting time and effort into something that is getting nothing in terms of feedback?"

A lot more people are using other forms of social media like Facebook and Pinterest. It's faster and easier and takes very little in the "thought and preparation" category.

There really aren't that many blogs out there with an original concept anymore. Lifestyle blogs, cooking blogs, paper crafting blogs...seriously, it's all been done, and overdone at that.

I originally began my blog because I was part of a design team. I had hopes that the blog would turn into something "more" in terms of reward for time and effort. A business, perhaps? After several attempts, that went nowhere.

It seemed that I was always trying to procure the latest and greatest things to show on my blog, and really, who can keep up with that level of conspicuous consumption? I was becoming burned out on the craft all together.

In the end, I decided it was time to do some pruning in my life of the things that weren't producing fruit, and the blog was the first to go. I always enjoyed writing on my blog more than the actual craft producing aspect, so I'm spending my time on some writing goals instead.

Do I think that paper crafting has peaked? Yes, definitely. You just have to look at the companies that are still around who are churning out the same product with every release. I'm taking a less is more philosophy now, and being a lot choosier with my time and money.

Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 06:33 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Mary Rose, those are the same reasons I've been thinking about for ending my blog as well. I have 25 followers, but most of them don't bother to comment. (Thank you to those very few who do. ) Sometimes I'll get a decent amount of views, but usually not more than a dozen or so. I don't think it's worth putting all that time and effort into it if no one is really appreciating it. I've been using it more for personal things now, and I'm considering adapting it to be a memory keeping blog for myself and my family/close friends/anyone who cares about my life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I am sure that it is all a personal decision as some here have explained, but keep in mind, when there are people leaving blogs, there are people starting blogs all the time. I started a blog in June and am having a lot of fun with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a couple of blogs. Which are sitting and waiting for someone to post on them.

I left mine like this because I was burned out...Posting something everyday or week. Just a few people were posting on it. I grew discouraged.

However I am thinking about deleting those blogs and starting a new one.

I'm just now sure what I'm going to do at this point.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a blog and have been posting for over 4 years, the comments have gotten down a bit but I do still get a lot of views to it, I dont mind, I do it for fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
I'm one of those people that ended her five year old blog this week. There were a number of factors in my decision, but here are a few of my reasons.

For starters, I feel that blogging and blog viewing, in general, are on the decline. There are a few people out there that have wildly successful blogs, but they tend to be linked to some design team. I had to ask myself, "Why am I putting time and effort into something that is getting nothing in terms of feedback?"

A lot more people are using other forms of social media like Facebook and Pinterest. It's faster and easier and takes very little in the "thought and preparation" category.

There really aren't that many blogs out there with an original concept anymore. Lifestyle blogs, cooking blogs, paper crafting blogs...seriously, it's all been done, and overdone at that.

I originally began my blog because I was part of a design team. I had hopes that the blog would turn into something "more" in terms of reward for time and effort. A business, perhaps? After several attempts, that went nowhere.

It seemed that I was always trying to procure the latest and greatest things to show on my blog, and really, who can keep up with that level of conspicuous consumption? I was becoming burned out on the craft all together.

In the end, I decided it was time to do some pruning in my life of the things that weren't producing fruit, and the blog was the first to go. I always enjoyed writing on my blog more than the actual craft producing aspect, so I'm spending my time on some writing goals instead.

Do I think that paper crafting has peaked? Yes, definitely. You just have to look at the companies that are still around who are churning out the same product with every release. I'm taking a less is more philosophy now, and being a lot choosier with my time and money.

Just my two cents.
I'm not so sure about blogging/blog viewing being on the decline. I've seen a dramatic increase in my traffic recently - and I'm gaining followers by the day. I think it depends on the content you post, how regularly you're posting, and how much marketing you do of your blog. You can't just have a blog and expect people to find it, you have to work and promote it. Facebook pages, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I do it for my own enjoyment. Mine is techically a website, because it's not done through something like blogspot or wordpress, but I compose it just as a blog would appear. It's hosted on my daughter's server, so I don't have any idea whether anyone looks at it or not (although I can get hit numbers from her, but I don't bother with that). There is no way a viewer can post comments, but there is a link to send me email. I've gotten a couple of messages, but as I said at the top, I keep my "blog" mostly as a record for myself of the cards and other papercrafting projects that I've made. I'm not on a design team, not selling anything.

If it makes you happy to keep a blog, do it. If it doesn't, don't! If the blogs you've been enjoying go away, there are plenty of others to enjoy. Go through the SCS gallery, and when you find an artist whose work you admire, you can usually track down her blog from her watermark and/or her post.

Enjoy!
SCS Fan Club Member
Color Challenge Team Member
QFTD215
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswhittaker23View Post
I'm not so sure about blogging/blog viewing being on the decline. I've seen a dramatic increase in my traffic recently - and I'm gaining followers by the day. I think it depends on the content you post, how regularly you're posting, and how much marketing you do of your blog. You can't just have a blog and expect people to find it, you have to work and promote it. Facebook pages, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.
Personally, it seemed like a LOT of work to "market" something that wasn't making me one thin dime.

I've been a professional writer in the past, and I've decided I'm going to stop selling myself short. My small thinking serves no one, least of all me.

As the Joker said in the Dark Knight, "If you're good at something, never do it for free." ;)

The part about blogging that has truly saddened me is how it has managed to water down the community feeling here at SCS. Back in the days before member companies and thousands of blogs, Splitcoast used to be a very active group of daily posters. In a recent thread here (Who are the SCSers you miss?), I was quite surprised by the number of people who used to be a really vital part of the SCS community, but gave up posting to either serve solely on design teams or personal blogs. SCS used to be the central source for all things paper crafting. It was one stop for inspiration. Now, it seems as though you'd have to devote hours of every day to keep up with the company and blog posts alone. Companies have their own forums, which does detract from the forum here.

Everything changes, sometimes for the better, and sometimes not so much. No doubt the next big thing in social media will debut, and five years from now it will be completely different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, I've started blogging more than ever!!! I must be on the opposite side of this trend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Personally, it seemed like a LOT of work to "market" something that wasn't making me one thin dime.

I've been a professional writer in the past, and I've decided I'm going to stop selling myself short. My small thinking serves no one, least of all me.

As the Joker said in the Dark Knight, "If you're good at something, never do it for free." ;)

The part about blogging that has truly saddened me is how it has managed to water down the community feeling here at SCS. Back in the days before member companies and thousands of blogs, Splitcoast used to be a very active group of daily posters. In a recent thread here (Who are the SCSers you miss?), I was quite surprised by the number of people who used to be a really vital part of the SCS community, but gave up posting to either serve solely on design teams or personal blogs. SCS used to be the central source for all things paper crafting. It was one stop for inspiration. Now, it seems as though you'd have to devote hours of every day to keep up with the company and blog posts alone. Companies have their own forums, which does detract from the forum here.

Everything changes, sometimes for the better, and sometimes not so much. No doubt the next big thing in social media will debut, and five years from now it will be completely different.
I totally agree with you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I totally agree with the "if you enjoy blogging, do it; if you don't, then don't" idea. I was posting regularly for a long time, but have let my blog sort of "wither on the vine" this year. It was just so far down the list of priorities that I chose to not let it bother me. Ditto with keeping up with challenges, etc. There's just so many hours in the day, and my days have been so overly full with high-priority things that blogging has been the least of my worries. I've also found that many of the blogs that I used to enjoy and look forward to reading every day now hold no interest for me, and others have taken their place.

I guess all of this is just a long-winded way to say that lives - yours, mine, ours, theirs - change and all kinds of things come and go in them...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of my favorite bloggers has been MIA for awhile, Greenbean (Greenbean's Crafterole). Makes me kind of sad not to see updates because she is SO talented!!! I rarely left comments but not for lack of trying!! I actually had to set up either a Yahoo or Google account (can't remember it's been so long) in order to post and even then I had to post 3-4 times before it would show up. Mostly my fault because I truly do not know the protocol...some things need to be checked by the owner before they are posted I think; that and since I only set up that email account to be able to post, I could never remember the correct address or password so I would just get frustrated and not comment at all. That being said...Greenbean, if you are out there, I sure do miss seeing your posts!! I hope you are ok and just busy having a fabulous life!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I blogged and it was fun for a while, and then I got lazy. It was taking away time that I could've been using to actually make cards. Sometimes it was faster to make cards (and each card takes me hours sometimes days!!) than to photograph it and write about it! Now I just upload to SCS.

As to why all the bloggers you are viewing now are disappearing - if it's not a tech-related problem, maybe there's something going on in the crafting community?? Maybe they all left for a CHA-similar event or went on a scrapping cruise??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

I am sure you are not following me, but I mostly just use the blog so I have some place to post projects I've made for challenges and things. I could just use photobucket but at least with a blog, I can get two comments from the challenge moderators.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

How funny that you say the bloggers are leaving. I've been toying with the idea of starting a blog. I'm just not sure who would want to read my thoughts or look at my cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 02:14 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

CraftyMel- Didn't GreenBean take a break due to all the Cricut drama? I think I remember one of my Cricut friends telling me that. I hope she wasn't involved in all that because she's just an angel.

MaryRose- I loved your comments. I keep getting asked to start a blog. I made one over a year ago and never posted on it. I feel the same way you do.

I have favorite bloggers that don't post hardly because they have gone on too new things like Pinterest, Facebook, YouTube, Tumblr. I know Tumblr is kind of like blogging. I see kind of a decline too. I don't read a lot of stamping blogs. I read a lot of frugality, Pullip, Blythe and Kawaii type blogs. I have seen a decline. Kawaii & doll girls tend to hang out at Flickr more. I know how much I love Flickr. I am thinking of doing my photos there because I have my online photo album which is better for me than an online diary.

I am scared I will get burned out on crafting too if I start blogging. I don't plan to join design teams but blogs seem like it would be a chore for me. Craft my item, take pictures of my item, upload my pictures, write the blog post. I am tired thinking about it, lol. I have so much admiration for those who share their blogs with us because I know how time consuming it can be. I always try to comment on blogs I sub too. I have learned so much from bloggers. They are just true gems.

Good luck with your writing career. I hope it's successful and brings you a lot of happiness.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 02:56 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Mary Rose, those are the same reasons I've been thinking about for ending my blog as well. I have 25 followers, but most of them don't bother to comment. (Thank you to those very few who do. ) Sometimes I'll get a decent amount of views, but usually not more than a dozen or so. I don't think it's worth putting all that time and effort into it if no one is really appreciating it. I've been using it more for personal things now, and I'm considering adapting it to be a memory keeping blog for myself and my family/close friends/anyone who cares about my life.
My blog has been getting more views the more I've been posting on it and although I'm on Pinterest and Facebook more than I should be I still enjoy looking at blogs.

Janny, I'm not sure if you know this... I just took a look at your blog and the first thing that came up on your sidebar was an ad for Filipino singles with photos of girls in skimpy bikinis. Probably something that would turn off crafting ladies. I refreshed the page and a car ad came up, no problem there but refreshing again and the girls in bikinis singles ad came up again. I hope you don't mind me pointing that out Janny - I'm only saying it because if it was my blog then I'd want to know if there was an ad that might be turning away readers.

Angela

Last edited by Pretzelgirl8; 08-23-2012 at 03:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Interesting discussion here!

Quote:

To measure success you need to know what you wanted to achieve in the first place. If your objective is high traffic and generating income then I can see that the descision to stop blogging makes perfect sense if that goal looks to be out of reach.

Personally, I started my blog as a place to share creations with a group of like-minded online friends and particpants in challenges I took part in. I achieved that. I also improved my stamping as I thought more about my creations because of the wider audience. That resulted in an invitation to do a guest DT slot, I then joined a different DT long-term and got published in paying markets. I don't look at my viewing stats, I don't attract huge numbers of comments and I have never felt the slightest temptation to "monetise" my blog. I still count my blog a success because I achieved what I set out to achieve and much more besides.

I guess that's a long-winded way of agreeing with Barbara - only do it if it makes you happy!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 05:56 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
Interesting discussion here!

To measure success you need to know what you wanted to achieve in the first place. If your objective is high traffic and generating income then I can see that the descision to stop blogging makes perfect sense if that goal looks to be out of reach.

Personally, I started my blog as a place to share creations with a group of like-minded online friends and particpants in challenges I took part in. I achieved that. I also improved my stamping as I thought more about my creations because of the wider audience. That resulted in an invitation to do a guest DT slot, I then joined a different DT long-term and got published in paying markets. I don't look at my viewing stats, I don't attract huge numbers of comments and I have never felt the slightest temptation to "monetise" my blog. I still count my blog a success because I achieved what I set out to achieve and much more besides.

I guess that's a long-winded way of agreeing with Barbara - only do it if it makes you happy!
Couldn't agree more.

My blog goes neglected for long periods - heck, TBH I have probably about ten posts loaded into drafts waiting for words. I blog for me and if anyone else cares to look that is fine too. It was never anything I thought I could make anything out of, just a personal outlet to catalog my creations.

At one point I got disappointed with blogging because I thought I could compete for DT and crafting kudos. Then I took a step back and reassessed what I really wanted out of my hobby. When I decided that my blog was like a child, full of projects I loved doing but they weren't perfect and that I didn't need someone else's approval to continue to parent my blog, my blogging life got better. And just like parenting I am sure there are critics that think I could have done better, but then again they are only looking at the published/public presence, they don't see all the love and tears behind the scenes.

FWIW I have 9 followers. LOL! Most which came recently. I'm hoping to work on my blog next week when I know I have some scheduled down time!

For me, to paraphrase the Kaiser Chiefs (they covered Pinball Wizard in the Olympics closing ceremony) "Blogging's Not A Competition, But I'm Winning".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 06:09 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just wanted to add that I embrace some of the blog closures. Some crafters that did amazing work were so competitive and enthusiatic over every little release put me off. I think what we are seeing is that level of competitiveness can not be sustained and people are taking a step back and reassessing their commitments. More than likely blogs that will survive are those doing it for love and that use it as an outlet to share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 06:16 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pretzelgirl8View Post
My blog has been getting more views the more I've been posting on it and although I'm on Pinterest and Facebook more than I should be I still enjoy looking at blogs.

Janny, I'm not sure if you know this... I just took a look at your blog and the first thing that came up on your sidebar was an ad for Filipino singles with photos of girls in skimpy bikinis. Probably something that would turn off crafting ladies. I refreshed the page and a car ad came up, no problem there but refreshing again and the girls in bikinis singles ad came up again. I hope you don't mind me pointing that out Janny - I'm only saying it because if it was my blog then I'd want to know if there was an ad that might be turning away readers.

Angela
Angela, I appreciate your letting me know that. I don't get those ads when I open my blog. I always get crafting ads. I'll have to check on that. Thanks.

ETA: I've been refreshing and re-connecting to my blog, and still all I get are craft and dog ads. I think the ads are determined by the websites you visit frequently. Are there men using the same computer you are? It sounds like those ads are geared toward what men might want to buy. Just a thought, but I'll ask my husband to give it a try later and see what he gets.

Last edited by Scrapjanny; 08-23-2012 at 06:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Angela, I appreciate your letting me know that. I don't get those ads when I open my blog. I always get crafting ads. I'll have to check on that. Thanks.

ETA: I've been refreshing and re-connecting to my blog, and still all I get are craft and dog ads. I think the ads are determined by the websites you visit frequently. Are there men using the same computer you are? It sounds like those ads are geared toward what men might want to buy. Just a thought, but I'll ask my husband to give it a try later and see what he gets.
Google ads is based on whatever a person has been looking at on the internet prior to coming to your site. So, if I am looking and searching for crafty thing, crafty ads will appear for me.

I am NOT saying the the previous poster was looking for a dating service in the Phillipines, however, if someone was searching for vacation spots in the Phillipines and then went to your blog, they may not get crafty ads. They may get whatever google ad words is thinking is appropriate for them at the time. No two people will see the same ads since it's based on what you general look for on the internet.

I was looking at furniture on Ikea's website and then for the next week, all I got were ads from Ashley furniture on every site I visited...

If for example someone is searching a term that is totally innocent, i.e. vacation spots in the Fiji Islands but there are not ads available that chose those keywords, then they may see ads for Fiji water even if they are not interested in that.

And some nasty companies choose keywords that aren't really relevant to try to get their ads on sites that wouldn't want them.

ScrapJanny- you can go to google adsense and block ads from that website if it continues... the person seeing them will have to send you the link.

Okay, back to blog talk...
Hugs,
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

This chick...is way to lazy to try and keep up a blog...lol
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
This chick...is way to bizzy to try and keep up a blog...lol
blessings.
Corrected that for ya Amber!;) With the pure volume of work you do I definitely wouldn't call you lazy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
CraftyMel- Didn't GreenBean take a break due to all the Cricut drama? I think I remember one of my Cricut friends telling me that. I hope she wasn't involved in all that because she's just an angel. .
Honestly? Not blogging or crafting because of CRICUT DRAMA? Holy mother! If I stopped because of what goes on at that chat site I would have stopped a week after I started :p :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
Honestly? Not blogging or crafting because of CRICUT DRAMA? Holy mother! If I stopped because of what goes on at that chat site I would have stopped a week after I started :p :lol:
Forgive me, I haven't been around here long enough. What Cricut drama?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

I love cruising through blogs and my "daily check-it-out" list keeps getting longer. I devote a bit of time every morning while drinking my lattes.

One thing that drives me batty are all the advertisements between posts. I'm pretty sure not many click on the ads and are the bloggers really making any money off this? Plus, some of the ads are downright offensive. No control over what type of ad is posted (even though blogspot tells you differently!).

One other thing that drives me crazy about some of the Stampin' Up blogs is the repeated posts of the same thing - like photos and information about the mini catalog.

I use to post a link to a supply list and after doing a survey, most said they'd like the supply list just below the photo or project. It's less work this way, but I don't care for that format!

One last thing that I find irritating (lol) on blogs is when posting a project to include a list, with photos, of every item used in a project, and by clicking on the photo, you go to a link for that item. Not sure why this is necessary.

Also, I know SU demos keep busy, but I get very disappointed when every post on a blog is a challenge or somebody else's idea. I find it disappointing because many of them are in the same group so for a week's time all the cards on different blogs are the same colors or same stamp sets! I find myself spending less time on these blogs.

Finally, I've stopped checking some blogs because they've switched from sharing great ideas to selling, selling, selling. I tried selling tutorials, lost viewers and comments, and stopped! I find many people will email with comments rather than post them on my blog. I do enjoy seeing those emails!

Funny thing happened this week: I got a few emails from ladies asking where the link was on my blog to purchase SU products from me. I had to laugh because although I use alot of SU products, I am not a demo, I just live a long distance from craft stores and ordering from my demo, Pam, is easy! Thank you Pam!

(sorry this post is long!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sew It SeamsView Post
One last thing that I find irritating (lol) on blogs is when posting a project to include a list, with photos, of every item used in a project, and by clicking on the photo, you go to a link for that item. Not sure why this is necessary.
This is a new thing and I'm all for it. I used to just list my supplies in a link list, but a lot of blogs I follow started using the inlinkz link manager, and I think it's way prettier.

The benefit over a link list by using this free program, is that it saves all your supplies in your account and you can easily drag them to your new supply thumbnail chart without having to search for the links over and over each time you post a project. It saves a LOT of time.

Edited to add that the inlinkz manager also can display just a list rather than the thumbnails if you don't like them. Still a handy tool even if you don't like the images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswhittaker23View Post
This is a new thing and I'm all for it. I used to just list my supplies in a link list, but a lot of blogs I follow started using the inlinkz link manager, and I think it's way prettier.

The benefit over a link list by using this free program, is that it saves all your supplies in your account and you can easily drag them to your new supply thumbnail chart without having to search for the links over and over each time you post a project. It saves a LOT of time.

Edited to add that the inlinkz manager also can display just a list rather than the thumbnails if you don't like them. Still a handy tool even if you don't like the images.
I'm glad you like them! I just personally don't care for it. I'd rather see content - I only list supplies because my subscribers asked for it! Of course everything in my post above is just my opinion - I don't want to offend anybody!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #34  
Glitter Guru

Thanks, Gina. I did that earlier today. I blocked ads that I thought might not be interesting to potential readers and ads that I feel might be inappropriate for my blog. Unfortunately, I can't completely control the ads. I'm starting to accumulate a little revenue, so I'm going to keep them for awhile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
Google ads is based on whatever a person has been looking at on the internet prior to coming to your site. So, if I am looking and searching for crafty thing, crafty ads will appear for me.

I am NOT saying the the previous poster was looking for a dating service in the Phillipines, however, if someone was searching for vacation spots in the Phillipines and then went to your blog, they may not get crafty ads. They may get whatever google ad words is thinking is appropriate for them at the time. No two people will see the same ads since it's based on what you general look for on the internet.

I was looking at furniture on Ikea's website and then for the next week, all I got were ads from Ashley furniture on every site I visited...

If for example someone is searching a term that is totally innocent, i.e. vacation spots in the Fiji Islands but there are not ads available that chose those keywords, then they may see ads for Fiji water even if they are not interested in that.

And some nasty companies choose keywords that aren't really relevant to try to get their ads on sites that wouldn't want them.

ScrapJanny- you can go to google adsense and block ads from that website if it continues... the person seeing them will have to send you the link.

Hugs,
Gina K.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

:lol:no. I'm the only one who uses this laptop and mostly it's used for my stamping business, so it's Splitcoast, Stampin' Up!, Pinterest, Facebook - that sort of thing. Worst thing I look at is TMZ for a bit of Hollywood gossip.

Odd.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post

Hugs,
Gina K.
Makes total sense Gina but I'm still stumped. I even went through my history for the past few days to see if I visited anything remotely relevant (e.g. holiday even though I knew I didn't) and there's nothing there other than the usual Facebook, Pinterest, stamping blogs. I did check out some technical websites re: wordpress and blogger, but that's it (oh and TMZ). I'm in Australia though so maybe it picked an ad that they thought was on my side of the world. Very weird.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #37  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pretzelgirl8View Post
the first thing that came up on your sidebar was an ad for Filipino singles with photos of girls in skimpy bikinis.
haha, I am always telling DH "Hey, baby, hot Asian babes want ME! Do you believe it? Lil old me!! How cool is THAT?!?!!?!...I guess that Local mom is 53 but looks 25 stuff is working " hahaha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #38  
Crimping Master

I'm still trying to blog 4-5 times a week when life doesn't get in the way , lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
haha, I am always telling DH "Hey, baby, hot Asian babes want ME! Do you believe it? Lil old me!! How cool is THAT?!?!!?!...I guess that Local mom is 53 but looks 25 stuff is working " hahaha
:lol:

Janny I'm a bit obsessed now with your blog :lol: I just went in and refreshed 10 times and the ad I keep getting now is Groupon Restaurant Vouchers. Then I went to TMZ to check out the Hollywood Gossip (slow news day today by the way) and back to your blog but I'm still getting the Restaurant Vouchers ad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm not a prolific blogger myself but I do tend to take a break during the summer when we have family visiting - plus I neglect house projects most of the year due to the amount of time I spend in my craft room so I have to make up for it in the better weather months. I also tend to take a little break after Christmas (but I'm blogging a lot in December because Christmas projects are my favourite!). I only just started popping back on to SCS this week (and my blog) so the timeliness of this thread is actually quite appropriate from my perspective.

Incidentally, I only blog for myself - it started out as a way to make myself do a few projects every week so I'd have some content for my blog. I was becoming more of a collector than a creator. Starting my blog did cure that issue for me.

Great thread!
Reply With Quote Likes