Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BLOGGERS What made you decide????

Hi all of you Blogging gals! My million dollar question to you is WHAT made you decide to start and blog? HOW did you get started? HOW MUCH TIME do you devote to it and last but not least WHAT SHOULD EVERY NEW BLOGGER KNOW?
I want you all to know I personally love the blogs out there. They are all full of talent, and inspiration! I am very grateful to you all!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 11:19 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I originally started my blog thinking that I would offer May Arts Ribbon Shares and Prima Flower shares. Haven't sold anything, however it has become a way for me to share my passion for paper crafting, and on a personal level, it has enabled me to meet new friends who share the same passions. I try to post once a day...getting traffic to visit takes more time. I hope this is what you were looking for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I began my blog when I was chosen to be on The Saltbox Studio design team. It's pretty much a prerequisite when you are designing for a stamp company.

It's very easy and not really that time consuming. Some weeks I'll post almost daily, other weeks only 2-3 times. I really enjoy blogging! It's a great way to share your craft creations, recipes, book recommendations, and funny stories.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I love my blog. Most of my customers are spread out across the US since my DH's job moves us a lot. I offer tutorials for my customers just like they would have at my workshop. I just started about a month ago and it is pretty easy and a lot of fun. I use typepad. My blog is not a fancy as some, but I am learn and feel like I have FINALLY entered the 21st century!
Nancy
http://crazystampinwomen.typepad.com/crazystampinwomen/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I started a blog when I felt I was good enough to offer something new to the blog world. I don't have a tonne of readers, but someone reads my blog, so i keep doing it! ;) haha

i too am on a design team so i'll post pics of creations, and link them to the Elzybells blog etc... I post 1-3 times a week. I don't have enough time to post daily like some people, but i just do what i can!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I started my blog as a place to share my crafting creations and thoughts with my family, friends and other crafters.

I love getting feedback and comments, especially as I often work alone, (DH is away a lot with work). It means I feel I am out there in the world rather than creating in isolation.

Also other people's blogs often inspire me so it would give me great pleasure to inspire others.

Come & visit my BLOG: http://elizabethscraftroom.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 12:07 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I love looking at other people's blogs---you are all VERY talented and I appreciate the posts.
Nancy
http://crazystampinwomen.typepad.com/crazystampinwomen/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I started my blog to share what I do with other people who might appreciate it, and also because I would talk to myself on the way home from work, and I figured I needed an outlet. ;-)

The good thing about a blog is it is YOUR blog, and there is no obligation to post if you do not feel like it. Some people will tell you that a post for the sake of posting should not be done. Post if you have something to say or something to share!

I have met a lot of blog friends over the few years I've done this, and I find it helps my creativity, too, and who doesn't need that once in a while? ;-)
My blog:
The Crooked Stamper
Dear spell-checker, "bling" is SO a word. Pffth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

It actually took me a long time to start a blog because I had a lot of questions and insecurities about it....finally I decided to start one because
1. is was a good way to show my family (who lives far away) what I do and share some humerous kid stories they miss
2. it was a way to add all of the verbage that I did not feel comfortable adding here and also it allows me to go into detail about my cards and projects when I think a simple description is not enough
3. it is another avenue of exposure--so if you are on a design team (or thinking that you would like to be on one)..having a blog is another way for stamp companies to get their images out there.

Yes...it does take a lot of time but it is fun too! The best thing about it is that if you don't have time to post (like I didnt pretty much for the month of July!!!) then you dont have to...because it is your space.

Good luck with your decision!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
... It's pretty much a prerequisite when you are designing for a stamp company. ...
I'll second that. The majority of design team calls list a blog as a requirement now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have TWO blogs. I started the first one a few years ago as a way for my family and friends to keep up with me, show photos, etc. I'm from Dallas, TX but live in England, so it just made sense. I started the second one this year when I became a Stampin' Up demo. The idea was to keep it strictly SU and updated with SU news, project ideas, online catalog, etc. Although I've managed better lately, I've found it extremely difficult to keep both of them updated regularly.

I also love to write and have kept a daily diary for years and found it invaluable. I use blogger, which is free. If you do start one, I highly recommend that you try it for at least six months before you give up. It takes awhile to get in the groove!
Old 09-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

I started mine in January, just for fun really - my kids thought it hilarious that mum was a blogger. However, it has changed my life! I post almost every day and have made loads of blogging friends. I was approached by Papercraft Inspirations magazine in the UK and asked to do a commission of 10 cards for them (in print this month) and since then I have done work every month for them. I am also on 3 design teams, and it's all down to blogging. It certainly is making retirement a happy place to be. Try it, it's fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I started my blog because i didnt think my work was good enough,so a friend said start a blog and see what other crafters think of your work,,,,I now have more confidence in myself thanx to all you lovely crafters!!!!!!! xxx jo xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

What's really the difference between a blog and a website?!:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 03:15 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I originally started my blog as an online journal...just to write about what I was doing and an easy way for friends and family all over to catch up without all the phone calls and emails.

Then once I started crafting...I started to just post my artwork for fun. And now I post nearly almost every day. But mines a combo of my real life and my artwork.

It doesn't really take more time then it does uploading a card here. Unless you ramble...and yes, some days I do.

I think the biggest thing is...blog for yourself...because its something you like, enjoy etc...not because you feel pressured to do it because alot of others do. And good photography skills...its hard to look at great artwork when the pictures aren't that good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

We started our blog when we had a major remodeling project in our house. We live away from all of our parents and siblings so it was a chance for them to see what was going on. Since that's been finished, we've blogged every day stuff. What is of interest at the moment. It's fun and I think the few readers we have (friends and family) enjoy reading it. When I was the only one in our house writing, I would only get a couple entries on per week. Now that my husband writes as well, we have something new almost every day. Blogger lets you prewrite and save your entries to post on the date of your choice so sometimes a write several and have it set to post one a day.
If you're starting one, you might want to put a hit counter on it. It's fun to see where people who read your blog are from and when they read it! I use www.blogpatrol.com for my counter and www.blogger.com for my blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I started my blog when my upline gave out the information to get it free. I love sharing my artwork as well as the artwork of the swaps I get into. It's fun and I update when I have time between the kids naps or mine.

Mid-Minnesota Shoebox Card Swap....come join us! Check out the link here:
Forums at Splitcoaststampers
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #18  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I didn't start my blog until I was ready to commit to spending a bunch of time working on it daily. I knew that I wanted a blog that even advanced stampers would enjoy and be inspired by.
I spend 2.5 to 3 hours a day updating mine with tutorials. I work full time but we are empty nesters so I can spend the time if I want to.

One thing to always keep in mind, it is your blog and you decide what to put on it. Don't let the readers dictate the content of your blog or you will stop enjoying it and it will feel like a chore to update it.

Lastly, enjoy yourself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

I started a blog because I found I could write about the story behind the card (which I don't do here on SCS). I'm also able to write about swaps I'm in, RAKs I receive, shopping trips for stampin' goodies, and anything else craft-related that strikes my fancy.

I've found that it really doesn't take much time to blog. I try to post daily, but as a full-time teacher, I don't always have time. Definitely post at least a few times a week. It gives your readers a reason to come back often.

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' AnnieView Post
I started a blog because I found I could write about the story behind the card (which I don't do here on SCS). I'm also able to write about swaps I'm in, RAKs I receive, shopping trips for stampin' goodies, and anything else craft-related that strikes my fancy.

I've found that it really doesn't take much time to blog. I try to post daily, but as a full-time teacher, I don't always have time. Definitely post at least a few times a week. It gives your readers a reason to come back often.
I *love* a good back story - exactly why I started blogging...

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the voices in my head demanded I start one!!

Sometimes I write every day, other times 1-2 times a week. It is a way to let out the demons.................and a few cards.............and "talk" to other stampers.
Reply With Quote Likes