Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blog: 8 reasons why homemade cards suck

Has anyone else seen this blog?

8 Reasons Why Homemade Cards Suck | Blogmella's Handbag Of Wisdom

Oh.... too bad we don't have their address :twisted:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #2  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow. So glad they are not someone I know. I not only give handmade cards, I give handmade gifts. Don't think they'd be getting anything from me.
How sad really.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Good thing that blog date was three years ago...someone probably sent her a homemade card and she it sent her over the edge...hahaha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hard to believe people actually write stuff like that! I did scroll through the comments, though. This one is really worth reading:

"I hope you crochity old bags go through the rest of your lives never getting another card, homemade or from the store. Hopefully anyone who thought of you enough to send you a card, because you are having a bad day, or your another year older with more to complain about! One day when you are really old and no one calls you and your grandchildren stop calling you and they have already stopped visiting, remember that someones thoughts for you weren�t enough, or the ones you wanted, and you couldn�t be bothered opening the thick card that basically meant that someone was thinking about you!

You can relax and just live alone and get older, and you should now be happy, cause nobody thinks about you anymore, and when you are alone and wish someone would think of you, hopefully they got the message, You don�t want anyone thinking of you! Good luck when you are to old to drive, and it is snowing, and you have no milk, don�t call the person that did care about you (you know the horrible person, who thought of you but didn�t give you the card you wanted) because she is helping another older person, you know the one who cries happy tears when she gets any kind of card, cause she knows someone is still thinking about her!!"

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I think they should be grateful someone took the time and effort to make a card for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I read a few of her other posts and she seems to me to be a self-involved b**** that hates a lot of things - too sad, really... I read the comments, too, and the last one basically said, "too bad you'll be all alone in the world, eventually, since you disapprove of anyone showing that they care unless it's in a way that you approve of..." Good for her, I say! Reminds me of the Dr. Seuss quote: "Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind..."

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

LOL... I went through some of the comments but I missed that one. I don't know, I guess some people are just unhappy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Hard to believe people actually write stuff like that! I did scroll through the comments, though. This one is really worth reading:

"I hope you crochity old bags go through the rest of your lives never getting another card, homemade or from the store. Hopefully anyone who thought of you enough to send you a card, because you are having a bad day, or your another year older with more to complain about! One day when you are really old and no one calls you and your grandchildren stop calling you and they have already stopped visiting, remember that someones thoughts for you weren�t enough, or the ones you wanted, and you couldn�t be bothered opening the thick card that basically meant that someone was thinking about you!

You can relax and just live alone and get older, and you should now be happy, cause nobody thinks about you anymore, and when you are alone and wish someone would think of you, hopefully they got the message, You don�t want anyone thinking of you! Good luck when you are to old to drive, and it is snowing, and you have no milk, don�t call the person that did care about you (you know the horrible person, who thought of you but didn�t give you the card you wanted) because she is helping another older person, you know the one who cries happy tears when she gets any kind of card, cause she knows someone is still thinking about her!!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2013, 04:38 AM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I read the blog post and the comments, although I wish I didn't. (I hate to give it anymore hits!!!) Obviously they wrote the post to get a reaction and they know very little.....NOTHING about crafting....who the heck makes cards out of construction paper???
I really need to look at the author of that post......Could this be my mom??!!!!!!
LMAO!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. I decided not to rile myself up by going to her actual blog. I read quite enough from what you girls posted! She is most likely a very unhappy woman and how sad that the littlest gestures don't give her pleasure....

Good thing we know better
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Sue. Her blog seems to be all about being snarky and superior.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

at first I was upset by the replies that agreed with her but after thinking it over I think a lot are her friends sort of like on facebook. If she's as snarky as she sounds they probably wouldn't want to cross her as a friend! I knew where her blog was headed the minute I saw the abbreviations ***. Not a nice word!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
at first I was upset by the replies that agreed with her but after thinking it over I think a lot are her friends sort of like on facebook. If she's as snarky as she sounds they probably wouldn't want to cross her as a friend! I knew where her blog was headed the minute I saw the abbreviations ***. Not a nice word!
Oh.... see what I mean! The abbreviations aren't fit for us here! LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Location: 40ft. Holiday Rambler Ambassador RV (we call her Bad Assador)
Smile

I read through the entire blog and comments. It turns out the author was trying to be tongue-in-cheek, going for a little humor. See comments below:

dragon | August 12, 2013 at 8:34 am | Reply
This post is hilarious! Great read! I love making handmade cards and will laugh and enjoy it more thinking of this post� i may print it off and send it in my cards � my friends will get a kick out of it�. my cards are pretty good � i get crap when i laze out and buy one�. so my friends must like em�. i loved #5 and #7 � can�t wait to use kidnapper style on my next card�lollol Thanks for the laughs!

blogmella | August 12, 2013 at 10:33 am | Reply
You�re welcome Dragon! That was what I was going for � my friends who make cards just laughed at this too. I�m currently making papier mache pots and I think it would be entirely possible for someone to write a (tongue in cheek) less than flattering post about them. In fact I keep making fun of them myself, on Twitter. I even made a pot then noticed it was covered in ripped up bits of an article about rape! UGH! Thank goodness I paint them!
Anyway, I�m glad you aren�t offended. xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by WindscapeView Post
I read through the entire blog and comments. It turns out the author was trying to be tongue-in-cheek, going for a little humor. See comments below:

dragon | August 12, 2013 at 8:34 am | Reply
This post is hilarious! Great read! I love making handmade cards and will laugh and enjoy it more thinking of this post� i may print it off and send it in my cards � my friends will get a kick out of it�. my cards are pretty good � i get crap when i laze out and buy one�. so my friends must like em�. i loved #5 and #7 � can�t wait to use kidnapper style on my next card�lollol Thanks for the laughs!

blogmella | August 12, 2013 at 10:33 am | Reply
You�re welcome Dragon! That was what I was going for � my friends who make cards just laughed at this too. I�m currently making papier mache pots and I think it would be entirely possible for someone to write a (tongue in cheek) less than flattering post about them. In fact I keep making fun of them myself, on Twitter. I even made a pot then noticed it was covered in ripped up bits of an article about rape! UGH! Thank goodness I paint them!
Anyway, I�m glad you aren�t offended. xx
I read the whole thing too but it sounds more like an excuse after realizing how bad it made her look. Either way I won't be following her blog! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

there is a lady who loves getting my cards. One time she made the remark that I must save a lot of money making my own! she was not being nasty, she honestly thought I saved money. Lol lol lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't like this kind of thing, not cute at all, and yes I have a sense of humor

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just ignore people like this and go about doing what I like. In my life, she (and her blog) are inconsequential and I probably won't think about her or her post 5 minutes from now. She doesn't deserve our time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I just ignore people like this and go about doing what I like. In my life, she (and her blog) are inconsequential and I probably won't think about her or her post 5 minutes from now. She doesn't deserve our time.
Maybe she wanted some hits on her blog and that was the only way she could think of to get them! LOL

My friend, Lynn, just sent me a handmade card and let me tell you...it definately does NOT suck! Woo Hoo......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Well....there's one thing she got right...I hate "time release glue" too!

Otherwise...
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Well....there's one thing she got right...I hate "time release glue" too!

Otherwise...
Yeah - nothing quite like a card that looks like "it blowed up real good"! I keep finding bits that have fallen off of some card or another into the box they were stored in before I passed them on. Somewhere, someone must have a mangy-looking lot of cards Maybe they have better glue that they can do some repair work with. Thank goodness I upgraded to an ATG!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I agree.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess her viewpoint doesn't bother me. I didn't see it as a funny or cute post, but rather as a vent or rant. If I had a friend or relative like her, I would not be offended; I would just buy her Hallmark cards, which I also like. I would also make sure to tell her I wouldn't mind if she throws away any handmade cards I might have given her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3,394 Likes on 1,170 Posts

My BIL once asked if I make cards now we don't work to save money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
I guess her viewpoint doesn't bother me. I didn't see it as a funny or cute post, but rather as a vent or rant. If I had a friend or relative like her, I would not be offended; I would just buy her Hallmark cards, which I also like. I would also make sure to tell her I wouldn't mind if she throws away any handmade cards I might have given her.
I have a friend who says she has every card I've ever made her! I told her I do not expect her to save them! I just enjoy making them and I love knowing she appreciates them so much. I hope she soon starts tossing them or she will need a separate room for storage! LOL I tell everyone that I don't expect them to save them forever, just enjoy them a while and then do whatever they want, including tossing them. I also have people tell me that I should sell them. They think I am creative, but I let them know I am NOT creative, I CASE a lot from SCS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

I remember when I first started making cards my cards fell apart too.. In an effort to be frugal I bought inexpensive products not knowing that more expensive meant better quality. I think the "crappy cardmakers" she's talking about (or was talking about 3 years ago) are probably the occasional cardmaker and probably uses "ripped up pieces of wrapping paper" and cheap glue. I choose to believe she is not talking about us....

And if she is - then she's just another person on my "do not send a handmade card to this person" list!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Been thinking a lot about her post and this thread. I think it is a universal experience that if you are part of a group, you can criticize that group, but if you are outside the group, the same criticism stings. (I can criticize something about my country/religion/school but if someone outside that group says the same thing I get upset.)

So I am going to go out on a limb and say that her post -- written to get attention and which was quite mean to her cardmaking "friends" -- contains some grains of truth.

I've had friends tell me that the ribbon I so lovingly tied came through the post office all crushed. Or that the flat pearl poked through the envelope. Or I looked at what I made even a year ago and shudder. I think that what we crafters love may not be so appealing to those outside the cult! But that is ok with me.

What the blogger missed ,though, is the love and care and enjoyment that her card making friends put into the effort to make the card and send it. She took a pot shot at her friends just to get a laugh.

ps. I checked and she is no longer blogging. Maybe she took up a hobby???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 03:56 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

If, as someone else mentioned, this person was going for tongue in cheek - she needs to take some writing classes. I've authored two books and sent a link to this post to my agent asking her if SHE, in anyway, believed this this could be taken as humor. She agreed that there were none of the earmarks of humor in it. To me - she just sounds like a frustrated, sad person.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 04:47 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

I use to work for Hallmark in the card dept. of a few stores...even their cards lose bits and pieces here and there. So even though they are "pros" they can't seem to find the glue that sticks either!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

People, you have to stop posting comments on her blog. She is going to "think" she is a big hit in the stamping community now.

I just had to read the article, but then when I saw the comments by stampers and then she actually replied.......piece of work is all I can say.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
People, you have to stop posting comments on her blog. She is going to "think" she is a big hit in the stamping community now.

I just had to read the article, but then when I saw the comments by stampers and then she actually replied.......piece of work is all I can say.
I don't think any of us here are posting comments to her blog...I only looked to read what was being discussed and someone already mentioned that she is no longer blogging....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

I don't think any of us here are posting comments to her blog...I only looked to read what was being discussed and someone already mentioned that she is no longer blogging....

Yes she is no longer blogging, but people are posting comments to the post above. The blog is still open and posting is still active to the blog too.

Then another card crafting site must have posted to the blog, because there are posts commenting as of Aug 12th & 13th 2013 from card makers. Sorry I thought it was from here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

I did post a comment (as Crankysophie, 'cause I used to have a blog on Wordpress as crankysophie) so at least one comment did come from here. I just like posting comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #33  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

I did post a comment (as Crankysophie, 'cause I used to have a blog on Wordpress as crankysophie) so at least one comment did come from here. I just like posting comments.
Oh, that's funny! I would have never guessed....you don't seem cranky to me! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Oh, that's funny! I would have never guessed....you don't seem cranky to me! LOL
Oh, you BET I'm cranky - once a month!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #35  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Oh, you BET I'm cranky - once a month!!!
LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #36  
Kookie Creator

What an unpleasant person!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
ps. I checked and she is no longer blogging. Maybe she took up a hobby???
Maybe she took up card making! LOL
Or maybe she's knitting ill fitting sweaters for all of her friends.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

OK - hold onto your ATG's I'm going to defend this blogger.

Why?

I checked out her headings and she is/was based in Britain. I know that whilst there are some brilliant cardmaking supplies in Britain there is a plethora of card kits by QVC and HSN and some really crap cardmaking supplies from the news agents and bookstores. I know because that is how I got started. They are also HEAVILY influenced by Tim Holtz (and thus the card thud).

Maybe it is time to purge because I have just enough of some of these "brilliant supplies" that I think I might use one day! LOL!

To be honest, I thought the whole rant was a bit TIC because there was just enough of an element of truth in every point that I was nodding my head in agreement. I love the fascination with Hallmark as if handmade cards aren't where it all started.

And maybe I still remember too well sitting at my desk in England and one of the other offices girls coming desk to desk selling her cards and not leaving until you bought one... :p

BTW the blogger is right about funny cards - sometimes a British store bought funny card just can't be beat. Still remember Purple Ronnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2013, 02:18 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3,394 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Very interested to read your opinion of US British card makers RiverIsis.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2013, 03:32 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jan31View Post
Very interested to read your opinion of US British card makers RiverIsis.
So how many peel off "Happy Christmas"'s can I sign you up for? :razz:

Yeah, I think this blog is "serious" but very Monty Python/Fawlty Towers/Blackadder humour (notice the u) serious. I never found British rants to be like American rants; most people I came into contact with knew the difference between a rant (a bit of fun no matter how much truth there is in it) and a complaint (valid and should expect more) in their culture.

And there is a reason, I still have all that "construction" paper cardstock, which isn't construction paper but what the heck is it and there is something about it that I want to make it look better than I think it does... :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes