Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question beginner here

Hi,
I was looking to see a tutorial on how to use 3 step stamping ; like with SU Simple Sketches. I have looked at the tutorials on line here but they are mostly over my head.

Also people use abbrev. that I don't know. I figured out SU but none of the others yet. Is there a glossary for abbreviations?

And, the gallery has pictures of cards but not the instructions; that maybe because others look and understand. But I wondered is there more instructions for these projects somewhere and I just haven't found them?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

Hi as far as abbreviations go in this thread here there is a post about that

(after that opens scroll down there are different threads read me first, abbreviations etc)

I just after many years have become honest enough with my self to realize that two and or three step stamping is not my thing. ( I much prefer to color line images) so, I may not be the best person to answer your questions but, I am thinking its something along the lines of you need to pick ink colors in various shades ( light to dark) and then the ink goes on the lightest color first the base stamp, then a mid shade, then a dark shade for the shadows would be my best guess off the top of my head.

up across the top of the page you see the button that says tutorials next to forums? ( which is where you are now on the site) that is where the nitty gritty how to things hide. a lot of them have video's and a list of things needed to complete the design as shown. ( you can make adjustments using what you have)

hope this helps a little & Welcome here.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2020, 04:53 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,381 Likes on 515 Posts

Hi and welcome to SCS! I found this list of acronyms in the Start Here forum:

What do all those acronyms mean? HELP? - Splitcoaststampers

The list is rather long, but I've seen just a few of those that come up repeatedly.

Because I have heard time and again people asking for more details and instructions on cards posted, I've made up instructions for quite a few of my cards. Sometimes I post the links to them in my card description and other times I figure people can see my site on my watermark and will head there if they want to know more. When I do write up instructions I make it a pdf so you can save it to your computer.

The tutorials section here is AMAZING! It has step-by-step instructions and videos. I've made SO many projects from the tutorials section here. It is an incredible resource and you can't go wrong with that! It's not instructions for specific cards in the galleries, but it's fantastic for learning something new!

Welcome again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2020, 09:01 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishoutofwaterView Post
Hi,
I was looking to see a tutorial on how to use 3 step stamping ; like with SU Simple Sketches. I have looked at the tutorials on line here but they are mostly over my head.

Also people use abbrev. that I don't know. I figured out SU but none of the others yet. Is there a glossary for abbreviations?

And, the gallery has pictures of cards but not the instructions; that maybe because others look and understand. But I wondered is there more instructions for these projects somewhere and I just haven't found them?
Several other members have explained the common abbreviations, but there are still some that come up that I'm not even familiar with either. Are the 2 step SU stamps that you're using wood mounted or clear? I had some of the old 2 step stamping sets that were wood mounted and always had a little bit of trouble lining up the images. However I like to think that's part of the charm of handmade cards...they aren't perfect. You start with the solid shape first and then add the stamped detail image over that. The layered stamps that I've used are all clear stamps, which were easier to line up as you can see through them, but they are also trickier because of the additional layer. I have about 4 layered stamp sets and I always use a Misti stamping platform but the results, on one set especially, are not to my liking.

You can always Google search for the technique you're looking at, and find any number of written and video tutorials. You'll find the ones that work best for you..good luck!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2020, 11:07 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I would expect most companies who produce layering stamps to have a tutorial on their own website.
The site posting rules (link at the bottom of the forum page) do advise that
Quote:

Gallery creations should ideally contain basic instructions and supply lists and we encourage our members to share these details. Gallery creations without details will be ineligible for promotions we run at SCS, and will not be showcased on our Facebook and Twitter pages. Our community loves getting a crafty education about products and techniques, and so we encourage members to share their expertise for the benefit of our community
, but as you have discovered, it's not always the case. However, you will find some people do give great descriptions, which I find very helpful and have learnt a lot from.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2020, 06:57 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Welcome to Splitcoast! I went looking for some tutorials and decided Altenew (which is known for their layered stamps) may have some, so that's what I searched. There are YouTube videos from the company itself, as well as Jennifer McGuire and others here: altenew layering stamps - YouTube

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2020, 07:26 AM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Hi
What I did was print out the abbreviation list so I could just look at it whenever I needed to. Before you know it, you will be fluent! Or feel free to just ask.

Ok so there are a couple things (IMHO-in my humble opinion) about the gallery.

I LOVE the gallery. Not only I learn, but honestly it makes me happy, including when I am down for some reason. So I say this as a big fan.....
I love when people give you the directions, and esp an interesting back story, etc. But I really minimally want to at least see a materials listing. It is just my thing/pet peeve, but I get annoyed if people use the gallery to "blog drive"- meaning they link you to their blogs to have to get the directions. (or worse, to pay for them) If I see that, I tend to just move on and not leave a comment even if I love the card. SCS is supposed to be a place for us to share and lift each each up. There are limits to self promotion here, but that one is allowed. aka you are not alone. I rarely ever mention this btw. I am not waiving a banner, but since you brought it up.

And btw...even if you have been making cards for years...if something is new to you, it's new. You very well may need detailed directions. Plus not everything come to us easily. That is not you.

There is a techniques board and if you are struggling-ask and help will come just give it a day as people are busy. If you are having a problem with a tool or product/dont know what to buy-there is a board for that too. If you hit the forum up there ^^^ it shows you all the threads

Newbie tip: There are a lot of SU demos/ex's (demonstrators) here and long time users as this site was years ago set up for them but since expanded greatly.... I know I don't/cant keep track of SU product, so often there is casual talk about it and I will have no idea. Like a stamp name/ink color...(shrug) that doesn't bother me. There is actually a gallery site that has the images of various SU sets. They don't mean to be clique-ish-feel free to ask anything. Really nice people. I don't think I have ever even heard of or seen a mean spirited SU demo.

Psst--another one: Cook22 up there-she gives incredible directions and since she is always doing multiple things on a card, you will learn A LOT from her! I have. I pin stuff for future reference with her often. Even if you dont like the style of a person (just saying), the technique works across different ones. There are a bunch of people like that here too. 

Are you starting out on your own or you have people to play with? Via zoom or whatever...if you plug into search beginner tips threads will come up where we talk about what top things we think beginners should know or get to start with. There is the incredible huge video library here and also YT (you tube) has a bazillion. If you don't understand try a couple. Different people "reach us" differently.

For example-the multi step stamps. I think it is super duper helpful for you to have a stamping tool/platform...like a MISTI or other ones out there. It really helps to line the stamps up for you. And yes-typically one uses a family color group in increasing darkness as you move towards the last step/detail one. You can build your own group...but for an example...Altenew, who does a lot of multi step stamps, has created color families for us. That could act like an example for you.

See you around!! You wont be a fish out of water forever! Promise!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2020, 09:32 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to SCS (splitcoast stampers). You will love it here, lots of helpful people to answer most of your questions. Don’t be afraid to play and experiment, there are two sides to each piece of card stock. 😁
As for multi-layer images. On the newer sets there is usually some type of marker on the stamp, when you line them up with the same orientation you’re golden. As someone above mentioned there is beauty in the imperfectness of these images. If you tend to be a perfectionist, don’t buy this style stamp, it will drive you crazy and take the joy out of this wonderful craft!
One thing I’ve noticed recently, you don’t have to layer all the images. Some are beautiful on their own. One example is the inspiring iris set by SU. The line images alone are fun to color and the “filler” images give a nice watercolor look.
Mostly, have fun creating and come here often for inspiration and a lift up.
PS The tutorial section here is awesome. They usually have both written and video instructions. We all have different ways we absorb info. If you particularly like a card you can always pm (private message) the creator for help on any part, or give a general shout out. Someone is bound to point you in the right direction if they can’t help.
Youtube also has some wonderful tutorials. SCS has a channel (which I recently learned.) The beauty with a video is you can rewind, pause, and watch numerous times. 😉
Welcome, have fun, and visit often!! 🤗🤗🤗
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2020, 07:59 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Simple Sketches was my first 2 step stamp set, and I still love it.

If it's already on its wood blocks, a handy tool to consider is a Stampamagig. There are YouTube videos to show you how it works. It made me a much happier stamper with 2 step stamping. In time I graduated to a MISTI and pulled all my red rubber stamps off their blocks and haven't looked back, but the Stamp a magig was a good friend for a very long time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2020, 12:48 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
Simple Sketches was my first 2 step stamp set, and I still love it.

If it's already on its wood blocks, a handy tool to consider is a Stampamagig. There are YouTube videos to show you how it works. It made me a much happier stamper with 2 step stamping. In time I graduated to a MISTI and pulled all my red rubber stamps off their blocks and haven't looked back, but the Stamp a magig was a good friend for a very long time.
I've found it's still hard to line up unmounted rubber stamps, even with my Misti, as you can't tell where the image is when it's not clear. However, what I often do in those situations, is to stamp on scrap paper to figure out the positioning and only stamp my final image after it's lined up. Takes more time, but otherwise I've been so far off that you can't even recognize the image!! Wish I knew an easier way to line up unmounted rubber stamps on the Misti.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2020, 01:06 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same trouble with red rubber and my MISTI Karen, till I added a sheet of acetate between my stamp and the cardstock to be sure it's right where I want it. The sheet of acetate fits snug and exactly into the 'well' of the MISTI.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2020, 01:23 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
I had the same trouble with red rubber and my MISTI Karen, till I added a sheet of acetate between my stamp and the cardstock to be sure it's right where I want it. The sheet of acetate fits snug and exactly into the 'well' of the MISTI.
I thought about adding a sheet of acetate, but I still can't line it up, without doing test stamping since I can't see through the rubber. The invention of clear stamps has made such a difference! I still keep my old rubber stamps because the images are crisper, but for layered stamps I'll chose clear every time. Same goes for sentiments. I have a lot of rubber stamped sentiments and resort to stamping them on cardstock and cutting out a sentiment strip.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2020, 01:32 PM   #13  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

If you don't have your cardstock butted up into the corner, but pushed out an inch or so from the edges, then you can use an acetate sheet to stamp on as a guide (this should be butted into the corner), and move your card under the acetate till you can see it's in the right place. Easier to do than to describe. If you think you might need to stamp more than once for a good image, obviously you would have to make sure to secure the cardstock in place with magnets/tape/your preferred option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2020, 01:36 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
If you don't have your cardstock butted up into the corner, but pushed out an inch or so from the edges, then you can use an acetate sheet to stamp on as a guide (this should be butted into the corner), and move your card under the acetate till you can see it's in the right place. Easier to do than to describe. If you think you might need to stamp more than once for a good image, obviously you would have to make sure to secure the cardstock in place with magnets/tape/your preferred option.
Oh yes, why didn't I think about not butting my card up against the edges! I'm not used to moving the card to line up because I always move the stamp. However, now that you mentioned this technique, I realize that I don't always have to move the stamp if I just leave room around my card before I stamp. Thanks for the tip!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 09:22 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

I don't have a video on this blog post, but maybe all the photos over there will be helpful. For each layer I position my stamp on the MISTI and stamp the image onto a piece of heavy acetate using black dye ink.

I used the acetate to position the image onto my cardstock/base image. Holding the layers together, I position the corner of the acetate into the corner of the MISTI and then flip up the corner of the acetate and put a magnet down on the cardstock to hold it in place. With the cardstock in place, I can remove the acetate and then stamp.

Dina Kowal Creative: Impression Obsession DT Thursday - Peony stamps
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 12:16 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I don't have a video on this blog post, but maybe all the photos over there will be helpful. For each layer I position my stamp on the MISTI and stamp the image onto a piece of heavy acetate using black dye ink.

I used the acetate to position the image onto my cardstock/base image. Holding the layers together, I position the corner of the acetate into the corner of the MISTI and then flip up the corner of the acetate and put a magnet down on the cardstock to hold it in place. With the cardstock in place, I can remove the acetate and then stamp.

Dina Kowal Creative: Impression Obsession DT Thursday - Peony stamps
Thanks for the tutorial. I have some acetate and am going to experiment a little to get the hang of it. By the way, your peony card is beyond gorgeous, wow!!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 01:52 PM   #17  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

The dye ink bit matters! I've semi-permanently stained more than one piece of good thick acetate by using Ranger's Archival as that is what I was going to use for the final stamping. I try to remember to use Versafine on the acetate now.
Reply With Quote Likes