Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Baby Shower Gift for New Mom

Hi Ladies!
I was hoping you could help me out...A good friend of mine is having a baby in March. For her baby shower gift I wanted to make a basket of stamped items for her and her husband to enjoy (not so much for the baby). I have already made two sets of thank you cards (for the shower gifts she receives) but was wondering what else I could add to the basket.

Since I've never had a baby myself I'm not sure what an expecting mother likes or could use just before or just after the birth. Any ideas? Anything you wish someone had given you at your shower? How about some gift certificates for local restaurants, movie theatres, etc? Or is going out the last thing a new mom wants?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - thanks!!

My blog: aCASEofArt
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

How about a new nightgown, robe or slippers that the new mom can take to the hospital for after the baby is born?

How about a gift certificate to one of the places (sorry not sure of the name) where she could go make up some meals before hand and put in the freezer so she just has to heat it up instead of cooking a meal?

How about a gift certificate to a local resturant that does delivery or has carry out where her husband could pick up dinner and bring it home?

A small book that she could write in at the hospital listing visitors, gifts received or other odds and ends.

How about small snacks that her or her husband could eat when they are not able to get food from the cafeteria?

Change for the pop machines.

Can't think of anything else right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Is she a good enough friend that you know her style and what she likes?

Maybe a scrapbook kit??

It's hard to pick stuff that you know they would use...and if she is not a scrapper, maybe do a pre-made book where she just trims the photos and sticks them in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 01:06 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

after just having a baby myself...

if she is a scrapper- a 6 x 6 or 8x8 book that she can just add her pictures to.

you're idea for thank you's is awesome!!!!

meals- not nec. a gc to a place but one or two that you have made that are easily put into a crockpot. this will help a lot when she won't have time to cook or feel like going some place before she has the baby to make them especially if this is her first or even second.

diapers and wipes are also a fantastic gift (size 1 for diapers since they grow out of the newborn ones quickly)

if you have craft ink pads- make (stamp) her some onsies (in different sizes), since you can go throught quite a few of these due to leaks, spit up and blow outs.

if she has a film camera- film, if digital see if you can get her a gc for her online sorce

chocolate is a MUST!!!!!

most importantly: offer her your help. even if she doesn't take you up on it she will be thankful that you offered!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

My friend was my maid of honor in my wedding so I know her tastes pretty well. She is not a scrapbook person by any means. I do have a baby scrapbook that I made using one of the SU! kits but I can only give it to her if she has a boy!! I like the idea of chocolates and small notebook for notes at the hospital.

Thanks for your ideas and keep 'em coming!

My blog: aCASEofArt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

How about gift card to Blockbuster and micro popcorn? Make them both pretty! I know when I was a new mom, I didn't want to go out to a movie (and leave the baby--gasp!), but staying home and watching something was fun. ;-)
TAC Demonstrator #1484/Manager, Smilin' Stampers
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm not the best person to give advice since I'm not a mom yet but I am a godmom to twins (boy/girl) that are 7 months old! For their shower I premade the thank you notes, just like you did but I took it a step further and had everyone at the shower fill out the envies before they left (this way she didn't forget anyone and had the correct addresses) and I also included a pack of stamps for her.

I also like the earlier post about the change for pop/candy machines. Even if she doesn't use this, her husband most likely will. It was a pain to be at the hospital for almost 2 days straight and not have change and I was just a friend, LOL!

Another idea was to get one of those kits to do the babies footprints and/or handprints in. She can opt to do this right after the baby is born, a couple weeks later or a couple of months...a nice memory to have. You could also include a nice shadow box to display it in too!

To the world you may just be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 02:57 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

How about stamping some cards the new mom could just add a photo of the baby to? Family and friends always want to see new pictures, and a new mom would really appreciate how easy it would be to add a photo and put a card in the mail to grandma!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One of the nicest gifts I ever received was a complete lasagna dinner, with a side dish, a salad, and breadsticks, for our family, when my 2nd child was born. I had to have lots of "repair work" done when he arrived, and I was physically exhausted, and anemic. :(

I was so grateful for that gift . . . for me, it was the most thoughtful thing anyone could have ever done . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 03:06 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

Default Baby gifts

I just bought for a friend a 13 month sticker baby calendar from Hallmark (Hallmark has cute baby gifts). I had one for each of my babies. It makes it so easy to keep track of the first time moments.

Plus I was thinking of getting her a gift certificate from Target's photo center for making a scrapbook on line that will be a hardcover book. I think the birth and the first few days home would make a great book.

The best gift of all is an ear thermometer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Get a blank book and cover it and embellish as a journal for the mom & dad to write in over the years...it then makes a great gift for the baby when they grow up as a wedding gift or at the birth of their first child....

You could put the name of the baby on the front (if they know what it will be) and a frame for sliding in a newborn pic.

You could also look for quotes/advice for new parents, helpful hints, encouragement sayings, etc. on the web, print them out and put them in a cute container (a large plastic baby bottle?? or ?) for the parents to pull a saying out each day or when they feel the need....You could stamp/decorate the container.

You could stamp/embellish/decorate something for the baby's room (if you know the decor to match) and frame it...even a different frame for each letter of the baby's name if you know what it will be) to hang side by side, with different stamped things in the frame as well.

You could stamp some onesies (spelling ??) for the baby.

Maybe something here will trigger something else in your head!

Have fun!

My GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Maybe you could give her the gift of helping her scrap the baby's first year or so... My first was quite ill so I didn't really get to do that and if she isn't crafty she might appreciate the girl time to do it with you rather than be intimidated to do it herself?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

You've gotten lots of great ideas so far! I'll just add my 2 cents. : )

I have to say if you're wanting something for the Mom, I love getting pedicures. : ) I'm currently 35 weeks (almost 36 weeks) and making sure my toes stay pretty is something I've done for myself this pregnancy. While every part of me was getting bigger, at least my toes could stay pretty. And it feels great to have someone massage my swollen feet.

I also have to say IOUs for meals right after the baby was born would be wonderful too. I've had a few friends bring me dinner during my pregnancy (it's been rough - contractions since Halloween, 4 visits to the hospital, bedrest, etc.) and it has been a fantastic gift! Bringing items over to her that can be eaten that night or frozen and served later are wonderful. One friend brought a meal hot/already cooked so all I had to do was put it on a plate and eat and that was wonderful!

I also think offering to help her scrapbook the baby's first year would be neat idea.

And thank you notes are always a wonderful gift!! I tend to give those on various occasions too and they always go over well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 05:10 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blake's MomView Post
You've gotten lots of great ideas so far! I'll just add my 2 cents. : )

I have to say if you're wanting something for the Mom, I love getting pedicures. : ) I'm currently 35 weeks (almost 36 weeks) and making sure my toes stay pretty is something I've done for myself this pregnancy. While every part of me was getting bigger, at least my toes could stay pretty. And it feels great to have someone massage my swollen feet.

I also have to say IOUs for meals right after the baby was born would be wonderful too. I've had a few friends bring me dinner during my pregnancy (it's been rough - contractions since Halloween, 4 visits to the hospital, bedrest, etc.) and it has been a fantastic gift! Bringing items over to her that can be eaten that night or frozen and served later are wonderful. One friend brought a meal hot/already cooked so all I had to do was put it on a plate and eat and that was wonderful!

I also think offering to help her scrapbook the baby's first year would be neat idea.

And thank you notes are always a wonderful gift!! I tend to give those on various occasions too and they always go over well.
Ahhh, good luck with your little one!:-D

To the world you may just be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 09:46 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I have given away onesies that I stamped on and that I have used iron ons on. The iron on sheets can be bought at Michaels/HL/WalMart. People claim they love them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 11:56 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

I would definitely say some sort of food source. I know when I first had my daughter we never went out or left her with anyone (the first time I did, I cried pathetic I know) for like the first 2 months of her life. A robe would also be an awesome gift. I never thought that I would need one but when we were in the hospital it's the one thing I kept thinking I needed. Sounds like you have some great ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 12:08 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was going to suggest a pre-made scrapbook - I give those as gifts at baby showers all the time, and they are always very appreciated, I usually do 6 x 6, but for my sister in law I did a 12 by 12, more work, but I wanted it to be extra special. Another thing, I thought, depending on how close a friend, you could create a little handmade coupon book of sorts - something to be used within the first two months of baby's arrival, like 2 hrs of babysitting, so mom can take a nap, or a grocery shopping trip, stuff like that, that is hard to do with a newborn.

The meals is another great idea, after my daughter was born, a close friend planned our dinners out for two weeks, different people brought us dinner every night, it was awesome - and something else I greatly appreciated - my MIL came over a few afternoons during the first couple of weeks and watched the baby so I could nap - it was wonderful - at the time, just about the best thing anyone had ever done for me :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #18  
Glitter Queen

I went to a shower were the hostess had index cards labeled with milestones that would be upcoming in the baby/child/teenager's life. I can't remember them all but some were - all the birthdays, first day driving, first day of school, potty training, first smile, etc... You wouldn't have to go through out the child's life, maybe just their first year.

As guests, we were to write a note to the parents or the child, or a prayer, quote, any thing we felt would be significant for them to read on each particular occasion.

As a stamper, you could prepare the cards by adding a stamped image to go with each milestone or use a similar theme throughout all the cards. Also, maybe a cute stamped container for the cards.

I thought this was a unique shower idea. Good luck!

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 01:09 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

how about a journal or maybe a name frame.

i did both for my niece and she loved them.

my desteni by momis mama at Splitcoaststampers
welcome desteni by momis mama at Splitcoaststampers

Last edited by momis mama; 12-31-2008 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 02:10 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by swain78View Post
I was going to suggest a pre-made scrapbook - I give those as gifts at baby showers all the time, and they are always very appreciated, I usually do 6 x 6, but for my sister in law I did a 12 by 12, more work, but I wanted it to be extra special. Another thing, I thought, depending on how close a friend, you could create a little handmade coupon book of sorts - something to be used within the first two months of baby's arrival, like 2 hrs of babysitting, so mom can take a nap, or a grocery shopping trip, stuff like that, that is hard to do with a newborn.

The meals is another great idea, after my daughter was born, a close friend planned our dinners out for two weeks, different people brought us dinner every night, it was awesome - and something else I greatly appreciated - my MIL came over a few afternoons during the first couple of weeks and watched the baby so I could nap - it was wonderful - at the time, just about the best thing anyone had ever done for me :-D
My MIL came over and watched the baby so I could do my housework - not nearly so appreciated in postpregnancy hormonal life :rolleyes: especially as the child was ill (not life threatening but the illness kept him from sleeping more than a couple of hours at a time up until 8 months old) and I would have cut off my arm for five minutes sleep at the time. So make sure whatever you suggest fits what mommy actually needs.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 03:11 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I have been making altered clothespins for the nursery. I usually give them with the birth announcement inserted, and a lot of times people just leave them like that and display it in the nursery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi!
There is a product available that will record a short message, and you can stamp and decorate it before putting it in the basket. The new mom can use it to record the baby's first cry, or first laugh...I saw it used in a card on the "Scrapbook Lounge". If you are interested, I will search it out for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a mom of 2 (3 in April), I can say that I did not feel like going out with a new baby right away. I think the meals idea is great. The scrapbook idea is wonderful, too...I would've loved that gift!
Maybe you could offer to go to her house (sounds like you are good enough friends) and offer to help with laundry or just watching the baby at the house while mom rests. Maybe some nice lotions from Bath and Body Works for mom? Pretty nail polish?
You sound like such a thoughtful friend! She is lucky to have you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

i like to give wall decor for the nursery. It is long lasting, used everyday and I always think of the person that gave me mine. I always try to include something specifically for Mom, since the baby is so much focused on. I know that when I was in the hospital, the most touching gift I got was a bag of Hershey Kisses and my favorite beverage. Small comforts like these are hard to come by with an overwhelming newborn. Your instincts are right if you think a restaurant gift card is something you want to give. It will be a good prompt for a much needed outing, that new parents put off. A babysitting offer would be a great companion to that. Sometimes, time for a shower is hard to come by, so maybe your presence after the grandparents fade away, to play with baby while she showers or washes dishes, etc. would be appreciated, too. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

When I had my daughter meals brought to the house were great! My MIL brought me a neat arrangement, it was a glass bowl filled with hershey's chocolates with a rose in a bud vase stuck in the center. I have no clue where the pictures of it are but it was really cute! My other fav baby shower gifts were the diapers, wipes, onsies and baby swing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2009, 07:45 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

One of my friends took the time to make homemade cookies and bring them to the hospital - its the thought that counts! I received tons of great gifts but what is what I remember the most were the cute cookies with bows on them.
When our friend had her baby in Oct after having twins in August the year before - we took turns and each brought a meal for a few weeks after the birth so at least she could have one good meal a day. Now it would be easy to fill the freezer with the "Lets Dish" type meals she could just warm and enjoy.
Something for the foot prints is a great idea - they no longer make footprints at the hospital where my second child was born so we never got one of his baby feet.

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

Question altered clothespins

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpharisView Post
I have been making altered clothespins for the nursery. I usually give them with the birth announcement inserted, and a lot of times people just leave them like that and display it in the nursery.
:confused: What are altered clothespins
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

One gift given to us - while I was in hospital - but could be before -- is a plastic baby bottle filled with the pastel mints. There was curly ribbon wrapped around it and all curly in front. That was 24 years ago, so before stamping craze - could add a stamped tag or something I suppose. I thought it was so pretty I didn't eat the mints and didn't use the bottle - I used it as a decoration in the baby's room. Some persons I have given it to in the hospital eat the mints though.

Something I did - again, this was before stores started doing them I think -- is I made covers to go over Hershey bars and had them ready for my husband to give out at work, etc. Don't remember exactly how I did it - maybe I made two (this was before you could tell sex of baby before birth) -- Both said "It's a" and then one would have rectangle cut out so that the HER showed if it was a girl and if it was a boy, the rectangle would be smaller so that just HE showed. (Or maybe it was one size rectangle but you slide it to the left to have some space before the H if it was a boy or slide it to the right to show HER if it was a girl. I'd have to play with it to see what would work.) This was alternative to giving out cigars - cigars go just to guys -- Hershey bars can go to both guys and girls! You could stamp the "It's a" and also stamp little babies or other baby stuff on the Hershey bar cover.

Rather than a robe, I wished I had had a bed jacket, especially since I was breastfeeding. You need to have the robe for when people come to visit, but it's hard to get it positioned comfortably when you're lying in bed because of it's length. Later, after my mother was in the hospital and my sister gave her a bed jacket, I ended up with it. I still wear it as a jacket over my nightgown sometime when I'm cold.

Little notebook and pen is a great idea I think - so while you're in the hospital you can write down questions so you can remember them when the doctor comes by. I don't know about you, but I got flaky while pregnant and right after baby was born and couldn't remember stuff - all those hormones being dumped into system I guess.

"Parent's" magazine?

I know I got subscriptions to a couple of free baby magazines - I must have gotten the sign up info from magazines at the doctor's office. Anyway - I'm thinking you could put the subscription card to them in the basket.

Something funny - I haven't seen this done -- New Parents Survival kit K(wonder if we could google it?) -- I'm thinking a clothespin for Dad's nose; rubber gloves, little tiny address book with phone numbers of who to call when baby won't stop crying, etc, etc. ... Off to google to see if I can find anything.

Coupon, if they wish to use it - (i.e., if Dad doesn't want to go get bow himself), that you would go to florist and get bow for mailbox and put it on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #29  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Parent's Survival Kit ideas

I googled "Parents Survival Kit" and found:

http://www.budget101.com/recipes/id34.htm
There was another one for Parents of Twins

http://www.sawyers-specialties.com/s...new-father.php
There were about 6 under parents and parents to be here.

And some things that you could put in basket that are for both parents and baby - like CDs of lullabies.

And that prompted the memory of this need: Words to songs to sing - you may have to ask mom-to-be though or do songs to lullabies and then coupon for whatever other songs she might realize she needs words for - that you'll go find the words! (Well - I guess in today's world new mom could find them on the computer. 25 years ago couldn't look up words to songs on computer! One thing I needed as new parent -- I couldn't remember all the words to songs. I needed a bigger repertoire than How Great Thou Art, Just as I Am, Jesus Loves Me, and America the Beautiful. Although I must say, my daughter still talks about the thunder song ("I hear the rolling thunder") as she fondly remembers me singing How Great Thou Art to her (How Great Thou Art and Just as I Am are only two songs I could remember more than one verse to). I was finally able to get hold of a hymnal and maybe some books that had the words to songs my Mom had sung to me. Hey -- words to songs is a MAJOR need at 3 a.m. when nobody is up but you and the baby and you're trying to sing them to sleep! It was a happy day when I got a song book together!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helen CashonView Post
Something I did - again, this was before stores started doing them I think -- is I made covers to go over Hershey bars and had them ready for my husband to give out at work, etc. Don't remember exactly how I did it - maybe I made two (this was before you could tell sex of baby before birth) -- Both said "It's a" and then one would have rectangle cut out so that the HER showed if it was a girl and if it was a boy, the rectangle would be smaller so that just HE showed. (Or maybe it was one size rectangle but you slide it to the left to have some space before the H if it was a boy or slide it to the right to show HER if it was a girl. I'd have to play with it to see what would work.) This was alternative to giving out cigars - cigars go just to guys -- Hershey bars can go to both guys and girls! You could stamp the "It's a" and also stamp little babies or other baby stuff on the Hershey bar cover.
Plain Hershey's for girls & with almonds (Nuts!) for Boys...;)

My GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 06:40 AM   #31  
Embossing Fanatic

LOL!!! : ) Kay --- LOVE the additional thought about the Hershey bar idea!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 06:55 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Default such wonderful ideas!

All of you have given such wonderful ideas!! Here's one of mine....

I buy a paper-mache box and paint it with a sponge brush and latex craft paint. Then decorate it as you would a any other paper-craft item. You can decopauge (sp?) the paper items on it (docorative paper, sayings, stamps, etc.), which seals the surface and makes it sturdier, or you can seal it with a spray sealer. Embellish with 3D items like ribbon, flowers, charms, etc.

It makes a nice box to keep things in that won't fit in a scrapbook.... first shoes, etc. The box could be used to give her the certificates and cards you are making.

My son just left for military service, and I made one for my daughter-in-law to keep her love letters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Just a thought but even a gift card to a baby store would be appreciated. I ended up having my daughter 3 weeks early and didn't have any premie clothes or diapers. Also my daughter was finicky about which bottles she would use and I had to purchase several different brands before finding ones she liked.
Reply With Quote Likes