Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Archivers closing....what does our hobby future hold?

I am sad to see them go. It is the closest thing I have to a LSS an it's almost 2 hours away. The only place I could take class and buy certain vendors like October Afternoon, Unity, Webster's Pages, Authentique, LYB, full line of Ranger/ TH, etc. While I'm an active online shopper, there are some things, such as paper that I prefer to see in person. So, my next closest place is 3 hours away.

It's a shame what's happening to the industry. While I agree that Archiver's certainly could've done better with their pricing, there more to ongoing diminution of our hobby, with so many closings of stores, direct sales companies, manufacturers w/designers, magazines, conventions, etc.

I don't have the answers, but online and digital isn't the option...and who'll teach our children? There's something about getting your hands dirty in the hobby with the paper, glue, etc. that's missing in the digital world. I don't think I could do digital if I hadn't started out with the hard stuff.

Just my two cents and curious to hear your thoughts.
mob
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

It is very sad about Archivers. But I must say they are very expensive. Yes they sell items that Hobby Lobby, Joannes and Michaels don't sell, but they were very "stingy" with their coupon until they started closing some of their stores. Then I was bombarded with coupons in my email all the time!

Archivers will be sorely missed as I would find many products there before having to internet shop. But that is where this hobby is going. It is a "Specialized" Hobby. You pretty much go to the Stamp Company you want to purchase from and do your shopping there. Sad but true.

I pretty much wait till I want more than a "few" thing to place an order to "even" out the cost of shipping. But some companies if they are small and not a big corporation have good shipping costs.

Plus the economy, hobby spending is the first expense that gets cut. It took me months to save up for 2 Stampin Up orders in 2013 and I really don't think I will be able to make a Saleabration order. Just don't see that happening at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobrien207View Post

I don't have the answers, but online and digital isn't the option...and who'll teach our children?
Why can't you (the general you, not you specifically) teach your children? That's how skills were handed down in the olden days, no?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
Why can't you (the general you, not you specifically) teach your children? That's how skills were handed down in the olden days, no?
You would think, or still hope the school system would do this. But I have a little story.

I was a room mom from k-6 grade for both of my children classes. Back in 2004 when my son was in Kindergarten I was helping the children finger paint. More then half if not 3/4 of the class Never finger painted.

They thought it "felt gross" and did not know how to wash their hands to get the paint off.

It was just sad.

Grant you, I was never into art anything until I had children. But by the time my daughter was 2 years old we had our first Stampin Up Christmas set to stamp together.

Then came rolling out sugar cookies and finger painting all before age 3. With little brother watching in the swing ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2014, 08:14 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by holtzfanView Post
Allegedly, Archivers bought a ton of product knowing they were going bankrupt and left their unsecured creditors holding the bag.
This is not true. When Archiver's filed for Ch. 11 last year, a bankruptcy committee was appointed by the court to oversee the company's progress as it restructured to try to remain in business. The owners could have originally filed for Ch. 7 without notice and left their vendors holding the bag but did not do so. The owners are ethical and tried hard to make a go of it. There is a misperception that Archiver's is a large company but it is actually a small company with a lot of remote locations. Behind the scenes, it feels like a smaller family business. I am losing much more than just my favorite shopping spot and I sure will miss it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Aw, that's too bad. I don't have an Archiver's here, but I remember when Ben Franklin closed years and years ago. But we still have Michael's and JoAnn's. Oh! And a new Hobby Lobby opened up. And my sister in another state has Michael's and AC Moore. But... perhaps online CAN be part of the solution... the younger kids have never known a time when there was no internet. Nowadays one can go to YouTube or Google to learn how to do a lot of things, including stamping and colouring. And there are some online stores that sell merchandise from a variety of companies.

Although I still don't see myself EVER going digital, until the price of printer ink drops to below the price of inkpads and re-inkers, AND until a printer which uses such cheap ink can take thick cardstock AND until this cheap printer ink will not smear with water-based or alcohol-based markers and will not smear with sponging (with dye inks from inkpads). So... I will in all probability never go digital.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

In response to the comments about teaching future generations, I do spend time with my daughter on crafting, baking and other things. But, there may not be others for them to share the hobby with or items to support it. Even for me, I have a hard time finding people IRL to scrap with. It's not real popular in my area I guess.
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

That is a sad tale! Because I love to scrapbook and stamp, my three girls all were using scissors at 18 months old and had a pile of art stuff to do with as they pleased. I gave them my scraps and they would just sit in a chair at the table and cut, cut, cut. In the summers, I gave them paint and packing paper from my SU! orders and they went outside and painted huge murals. To contain the messiness of small children crafting, I had a designated table for them to work at. If I was cooking, they crafted in the kitchen with newspapers laid on the counter. When they got older, I taught them to clean up their craft messes so that it looked like they had never been there, right down to sweeping the floors. My girls are now 13, 11, and 8. My oldest sews and bakes on her own. My younger two love to craft things for their Littlest Pet Shop toys. All my craft supplies are open to them, as long as they clean up and let me know if they use the last of something. I am thrilled to see them being creative! it definitely spills over into other areas of life (like problem-solving).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am really saddened stores like Archivers are closing. I loved the store! It was so convenient for me! It is very close to where I live, so a jump in the car for a quick paper/tool/punch/die was always an option for me. No waiting! I loved their designer papers the most! Graphic 45, Authentique, My Mind's Eye, and so many more! I will really miss it. I think I did a lot to support it! However, I did have to cut down on my purchases due to the economy this past year. The craft is changing, and perhaps even though I am an avid card maker, and I do some scrapbooking, and paper altering, I have slowed down due to economy, work issues, and life issues with family. I will never, ever, ever stop the craft. I may slow down and speed up from time to time, but it is changing. Not at a pace where I notice it so much, but a store like Archivers would definitely notice it. I wonder if the current Health Insurance issues have also made a mark on industries like this one? So many small businesses are affected by the changes in healthcare laws. Don't want to be political, but who knows? All I know is that I will miss this store very much!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I don't get to Archiver's often, but when I do, I am delighted! I just shopped there this past November……It's sad to see them closing! I am an avid scrapbooker and Creative Memories took on BIG changes this past summer and now Archiver's……what's next?? :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill with a GView Post
I wonder if the current Health Insurance issues have also made a mark on industries like this one? So many small businesses are affected by the changes in healthcare laws. Don't want to be political, but who knows? All I know is that I will miss this store very much!
I would be very disappointed in Archivers if they used this as an excuse. The law only states they have to provide it if they employ over 50 employees. It doesn't state the employee has to take it. If the costs are too high a percentage of their wages the employee can apply direct to the system.

There has been a definite downturn in this hobby generally. That happens all hobbies go through phases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

When I got married in the early 80s, everyone was doing counted cross stitch. There were stores with nothing but pattern books, DMC floss, needles, and accessories. Craft stores were half full of counted cross stitch. I dont know anyone who does it now.
I fear that scrapbooking and cardmaking are going the same route. The independent stores are going fast (none left in my part of the country) and now the big players like Archivers are going away. People here comment on losing customers and how hard it is to gain new customers (especially those who spend freely).
There are less and less scrapbooking and cardmaking magazines.
I hate to see a hobby I love die out. I have enough product to last a while but I like having others to share my hobby with......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by westiemomView Post
When I got married in the early 80s, everyone was doing counted cross stitch. There were stores with nothing but pattern books, DMC floss, needles, and accessories. Craft stores were half full of counted cross stitch. I dont know anyone who does it now.
I fear that scrapbooking and cardmaking are going the same route. The independent stores are going fast (none left in my part of the country) and now the big players like Archivers are going away. People here comment on losing customers and how hard it is to gain new customers (especially those who spend freely).
I hate to see a hobby I love die out. I have enough product to last a while but I like having others to share my hobby with......
I agree! I think it is more than just the sagging economy. It is true people don't have as much discretionary income, but the hobby is not attracting many new people and those who still enjoy it are not buying as much as they once did. The prices have become too high and many of us have a mini store that is over flowing.

So many of the products or equipment are starting to look alike . How many matching markers and ink pads will we use? How many fence, butterfly or flower dies can we use?

The new people who get involved can buy tools , equipment and supplies at a fraction of the retail prices when they shop on e-bay, Craigslist or the B/S/T here

Every hobby I have enjoyed in the past has had a time of wild popularity only to see that diminish.
I believe there will always be people who make cards or scrapbooks, and stores that sell the products, tools & equipment , but I think it's time in the sun has passed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

TBH it doesn't bother me if card making is the popular craft anymore. Unlike other hobbies I was doing this before it was popular. I made my own high school graduation thank yous from an image I had drawn way back in the 80s. And I had a high school art teacher who made her own notecards too.

I will keep on because that is what I do and maybe I will bag some bargains as other people leave and have more success in contemplating sales when the market is less saturated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

I agree that this hobby maybe losing popularity.
I have crafted my life. I have been involved with many
Popular crafts that have since gone by the
wayside. Try to find a Ceramic store these days.
There were a lot of stores back in its hay day.
I really think it's run it's course. I'm really sad about
Archivers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Do people really think that scrapbooking and cardmaking are dwindling down as a hobby? That it has nothing to do with the economy and people not having extra spending money for hobbies and such.

I know that I can't place a Stampin Up Selabration order this year. First time in like....Ever. I haven't been in Archivers in months, Micheals in my area is sad. They have cut back tremendously in scrapbbook/cardmaking area. My Joannes is worthless for any supplies. And Hobby Lobby is fine and I do have a Wonderful local Scrap/Stamp Store.

I over spent on Christmas for hubby and kids(plus a little extra Unity Stamps shopping for myself ;)) , which I got a roll of the eyes from hubby, but all is well, because I normally don't over spend so I got a pass.

But when I said I hope the snow does not come tomorrow as predicted, because I wanted to go to Archivers. Hubby asked why, I said because they are going out of business and I wanted to see what was on sale. First time ever he said, um, and how much do you think you want to spend hun? Oh crap I thought, he thinks I want to buy the whole store
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

The market potential is saturated right now. Those of us that are really into paper crafting, most likely have a lot of tools and enough supplies to last years.

And...

Entry level can be intimidating. Think of the first cards or scrapbook pages you made. You look back and probably chuckle. A lot of people that may be interested could be intimidated by the level of talent that's now matured in this hobby.

My theory is that it will take about 10 years before we see a resurgence in paper crafters. It may take that long for a pool of new potential customers to mature and for us to use up our stash. And maybe by then some of the crafters that have moved onto other hobbies might be ready to come back. In the meantime, I'm sure there will be enough of us die hards to keep the hobby going and hopefully off of life support.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

The Archivers in Austin TX area seemed to be doing pretty well. I'm so sad. I worry about some of the companies they carried that Hobby Lobby and Michaels don't. I'm sure Archivers was a big wholesale account for companies like Lawn Fawn, Hero Arts, October Afternoon. I just wonder if they'll be a trickle-down affect to them. I hope not!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeyes9View Post
I agree that this hobby maybe losing popularity.
I have crafted my life. I have been involved with many
Popular crafts that have since gone by the
wayside. Try to find a Ceramic store these days.
There were a lot of stores back in its hay day.
I really think it's run it's course. I'm really sad about
Archivers!!!
The 90's until about 6+ years ago had a resurgence of All areas in crafting

Anyone teaching or selling anything craft related had a gold mine.

However, Life has changed. People are being forced to work longer hours and have less free time for hobbies . Our personal lives have gotten more demanding . We spend more time straightening out billing issues, resolving issues with flawed products , and a variety of snafus that require our attention.

Incomes have not kept up with the increases in the cost of living so there is less discretionary money for hobbies and recreation .

Parents of school age children are being stretched to the limit with all the things they are expected to do from helping with home work every night to driving their kids to daily activities. They have less time.

People are living longer . After raising their children many find themselves being the care givers to their parents and contributing toward their financial support .

It is little wonder that pursuing hobbies had taken a hit .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley QueenView Post
The market potential is saturated right now. Those of us that are really into paper crafting, most likely have a lot of tools and enough supplies to last years.

And...

Entry level can be intimidating. Think of the first cards or scrapbook pages you made. You look back and probably chuckle. A lot of people that may be interested could be intimidated by the level of talent that's now matured in this hobby.

My theory is that it will take about 10 years before we see a resurgence in paper crafters. It may take that long for a pool of new potential customers to mature and for us to use up our stash. And maybe by then some of the crafters that have moved onto other hobbies might be ready to come back. In the meantime, I'm sure there will be enough of us die hards to keep the hobby going and hopefully off of life support.
Very good reasoning!

And really, while I'd freak out, probably most of have enough supplies to last a lifetime if all the stamp companies went out of business. I'd only need adhesive, glue dots, and whites/creams or other really basic colors! I have enough of everything else to last a long time. I don't know if I've ever used up anything except basic colors, rhinestones and a bottle of stickles!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 01-05-2014 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley QueenView Post
My theory is that it will take about 10 years before we see a resurgence in paper crafters. It may take that long for a pool of new potential customers to mature and for us to use up our stash.
For me, the stash is the problem. I have more than some stores down in my craft room. I dropped out (well, didn't sign up again) of an SU hostess club last spring because I couldn't find enough to buy even just to meet the $25 monthly commitment. I have all the inks and cardstock and embossing powders and glitters and embellishments that I need. I have more stamps than I can ever possibly use. I've been 'collecting' stamps since 2000 and was seeing designs repeat themselves. I couldn't justify buying yet another floral, snowflake or snowman set even if it was really nice. So my spending has definitely tapered off. But I still love the hobby, and I still create.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2014, 12:43 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by westiemomView Post
I still cross-stitch. It is making a comeback. Craftster's Needlework forum is always active. A lot of younger girl's are getting into cross-stitching.

Teaching Our Kids- The younger generation loves You Tube. I love polymer clay, resin & drawing manga. I am not part of the younger generation. ;) I do watch a lot of the videos made by the younger crafters. I am so inspired by the raw talent & excitement on their videos. They want to learn everything the new young crafters. Lately, I have noticed that many of the younger popular crafters that I follow on You Tube are starting to watch a lot of card making video's especially on Copic's since many of them draw manga.

I am noticing the younger generation are more into the coloring techniques of paper crafting than all the tools which was so popular a few years ago. I don't think the industry is waning. It's going through a great exciting change. I know I feel more inspired now to paper craft than five years ago when it was all so overwhelming with all the tools and supplies on the market.

I am sorry about Archiver's closing. It was the one crafting store I wish my area would have gotten. I always wanted to go to one but sadly that wish won't come true. :( Hugs to everyone that worked at Archiver's. I hope you are able to find new employment quickly that is rewarding and fun.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2014, 04:58 AM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

I got an email mail this morning that their going out of business sale starts today. 25% off, 30% off $100 or more.

Free cat hair with every card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2014, 07:15 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

we have one locally owned stamp shop that rivals what I can get online. other than basic supplies that they carry, rarely do you find a stamp that you can find in michaels or hobby lobby. I didn't stamp for years because frankly the stamps seemed hokey to me. than I started looking online and this whole other world opened up.

I think the economy is the real killer. I have been so lucky to only have to work part time these last seven years, but helping two kids thru college, one with 18 months left and one that went 8 years, one wedding, I need to get my butt back out there full time. that in and of itself has been a challenge. and it brings me to tears literally to think of how little time I will have in my art room. time spent there has truly replaced the therapist couch for me.

ps. I think the reason none of us cross stitch anymore is because none of us can see anything that small anymore! oh another sad truth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lori92760View Post
we have one locally owned stamp shop that rivals what I can get online. other than basic supplies that they carry, rarely do you find a stamp that you can find in michaels or hobby lobby. I didn't stamp for years because frankly the stamps seemed hokey to me. than I started looking online and this whole other world opened up.

I think the economy is the real killer. I have been so lucky to only have to work part time these last seven years, but helping two kids thru college, one with 18 months left and one that went 8 years, one wedding, I need to get my butt back out there full time. that in and of itself has been a challenge. and it brings me to tears literally to think of how little time I will have in my art room. time spent there has truly replaced the therapist couch for me.

ps. I think the reason none of us cross stitch anymore is because none of us can see anything that small anymore! oh another sad truth.
I still cross stitch and couldn't do it with my Mageyes Amazon.com: MagEyes #4 Magnifier: Arts, Crafts & Sewing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Diane,
I wear multi focals with prisms and I still need some help when using my sewing machine. I bought a highly expensive Ott light with an attached magnifier but its as if I am watching someone else's hands at work. I wonder if those magic thingys would work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Hugs to everyone that worked at Archiver's. I hope you are able to find new employment quickly that is rewarding and fun.
Thank you so much for thinking of us. I love working at Archiver's and will miss it terribly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glitter GypsyView Post
Thank you so much for thinking of us. I love working at Archiver's and will miss it terribly.
Thank you and your colleagues so much for your work. Never had a bad experience in Archivers. Great service. I hope all the workers find jobs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2014, 06:27 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Diane,
I wear multi focals with prisms and I still need some help when using my sewing machine. I bought a highly expensive Ott light with an attached magnifier but its as if I am watching someone else's hands at work. I wonder if those magic thingys would work.
Lori,

For me the best thing about the Mageyes is that you can move what you're stitching to the best place for you to see. I tried the magnifiers that you wear around your neck and that didn't work for me but I've been using the Mageyes for 20 years for both stitching and the few times I've used my sewing machine, especially to thread the needle! My husband uses his for his model railroad crafting: buildings, fences, lights, etc. Neither of us could craft without them. They come in different magnifications too so you can always get them stronger if needed. I wear contact lenses but they are made for driving or watching TV, and I wear "reading glasses" when reading but need the extra strength of the Mageyes when stitching. Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #30  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobrien207View Post
In response to the comments about teaching future generations, I do spend time with my daughter on crafting, baking and other things. But, there may not be others for them to share the hobby with or items to support it. Even for me, I have a hard time finding people IRL to scrap with. It's not real popular in my area I guess.
mob
I have the same problem finding people in my area. I can't find anyone close by me to scrap or stamp with.

I don't have kids but I remember a lot of hands on time with my mom. Digital just isn't the same, not wrong, just not the same. I remember my mom holding my hand teaching me how to finger paint and make shrinky dinks, etc, etc. You can't get that same experience being digital.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #31  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

we have one locally owned stamp shop that rivals what I can get online.
Lori, where is the stamp shop by you? I'm thinking Road Trip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

I hate to think that papercrafting is on its way out, but I do remember my cross stitching phase and my tole painting phase. There were lots of magazines and specialty shops at that time. Since that was before the internet, they faded in popularity without online sources to give them competition. Maybe papercrafting has done well considering. Had to laugh about the MagEyes. I have some that used to belong to my mother. I used them yesterday to cut out an intricate stamped image! And, yes, stitching on hardanger cloth is in my past now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

I think the LSSs have to have been vigilant in keeping up with current trends and movements in the craft industry overall, coupled with great business skills.

I live a block from one that's been around for 15 years now (started just as scrapbooking) that has steady business. There are normally 4-5 cars in front, they offer classes that are varied, have make & takes, garage sales and more. They keep a small stock of lots of things, so that many people can go in and find things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

wendy,

I do love paper for cards, but all my pages are digital. I think I did two regular paper albums. I make too many mistakes and it was too costly. my son (22) is my crafter and my daughter (26) is the self proclaimed visionary---grand ideas that the rest of us scramble to make happen for her!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

I do love paper for cards, but all my pages are digital.
Oh, now that I think about it, I DO use digital as well! But only for fliers announcing workplace potlucks. I do enjoy searching and downloading free-for-personal-use scrapbooking kits and using them to make a flier, and then printing six of them (to place in various places at work). But my printer is so crappy that I have to wait five minutes between each full-page printing or else the ink will start to have lines of non-colour in it.

But fliers and cards are soooooo extraordinarily different from each other in my mind that I didn't even think of fliers when I earlier said I would never go digital.

Also, we only have potlucks once every few months, so not very often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #36  
Cardstock Collector

There is a store in Sevierville, TN that reminds me of Archivers. It is Your Scrapbook Superstore. They also have a Clearance Center next door that has everything 50% off. I try to go there every time I am in the area, which will probably be more often, since Archivers is closing. They have another store in Destin, FL. They have a web site - yourscrapbookstore.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #37  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by holtzfanView Post
Archivers wasn't a national chain, so its closing won't have a significant effect on the fading scrapbooking hobby. It was a big deal only in a few parts of the Midwest and South where their cushy stores were located. The rest of the country remains starved for comparable LSS's.
I was not aware that Idaho, Utah, and Colorado were in the Midwest or the South.
Reply With Quote Likes