Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:42 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 312 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Is anyone else worried??

I keep looking at the rising gas prices- and they just keep going UP- i am worried i will have to cut back on my "extras" stamping/cards/scrapping.

I am in Ohio and gas is 3.55-3.60 locally...I just keep thinking that extra money i put each month to stamps and such will have to go into a gas tank...

Plus- Oil per barrel has broken records for 6 days straight now- 117.00 a barrel.
My dad is in oil and I remember during the 90's it was 8.00 a barrel! When i first started driving- gas was between .99 cents a gal maybe to 1.25 or so...(of course- that was slim times for the oil field guys back then)

Is anyone else worried about this?? :confused:
nothing is hidden that will not become evident, nor anything secret that will not be known and come to light. Luke 8:17
~Sara~
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep. I'm with you...I was looking at a new job but decided not to take it, it would cost 374/mo in gas alone to drive there. Scary! That's a lot less stamps every month, and I'm not into self sacrifice, this is my therapy =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. The rising oil prices are going to effect much more than gas. Overall I think a lot of things are going to increase in price. It is a bit scarey and worrisome. Since our gas budget has gone up yes we do need to make cuts in our budget. Usually those cuts are from the unnecessary things (stamps, entertainment, etc.). I am about ready to trade my car in for a horse and Amish buggy.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 08:51 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Stampaholic - we must have been posting at the same time. Got a horse you can sell to me? JK

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 08:54 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I just heard how rising gas prices will affect food prices, as most food is transported by truck to the local grocery stores...it just doesn't end. If this doesn't bring about effective fuel-less transportation, though, I don't know what will--necessity IS the mother of invention!
TAC demo #2239
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 08:55 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Yep I am in that boat too! I am in pending with Stampin'Up! even cause I can't keep up anymore. I will just buy stuff here and there when I can cause I am not giving up my stamping. Lucky for me I have a room and lots of stuff. Heck I even stay home all the time so I don't waste money on gas. How sad is that? I think most of America is going to have to rethink how they do things. It is scary! Maybe that horse idea isn't such a bad one. Hmmmmmm....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 08:55 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

I'm with you. It just sucks. Dh works an hour from home and that gas is killing us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Gas prices around in my area of the Fox Valley (Illinois) starts at $3.55 - $3.74

And Diesel goes anywhere between $4.09 to $4.35.

I stay at home as much as I can, And not drive everywhere. Cause the truck I drive uses Deisel. And right now all I can put in is 20 gallons. Well this is what I can afford.

I'm not really worried, Just thinking about the future. I have cut back a little bit, But not as much as I should.

I still purchase my stamping supplies. and when the Paper has a Coupon for 40% off somthing. And I need or want it. The I get it!

Train's are also being used to haul in Semi-trailers in from all over the US.
Which can be cheaper.

Food prices have gone up. And I am using more and more coupons for things.

Like this last week. I Saved $60.00 with coupons. Which is Super!!!

I like hitting the stores by me that offer buy one get one free. This can be a BIG savings.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I live in Folsom, CA and drive a full size PU, buy my gas at Costco and it costs almost $80 to fill up. Normally I work from home but I start a new job tomorrow and its going to be close to 50 mi./day. I'm going to take light rail and save on gas and $10/day parking. Plus I can read on the train.

Food is cost have really gone up $4.86 for 1 1/2 dz. eggs - sheesh!!

If need be, I'll give up mochas, muffins, and clothes before I'll give up stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Smile oh yes for sure

it's in the back of my mind all the time.

today gas prices are up to $3.69 a gal (Michigan)

and it does effect everything from driving to food to utilities. We have to cut back ......

One good thing is stamping is a relaxation for me so it tends to de-stress me......

Hope it doesn't go up much more!!!

hugs,

lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Gas in my area costs $3.83 on an avg and is cheaper by 10-15 cents at Costco. My work is 25 mi away so that is 50 mi/day and I'm glad I got used to using the light rail long back. When I started using it, it was as expensive as driving but with the rising fuel prices it's becoming way cheaper.

I was always in favor of public transportation as it helps keep our planet green and I hope now that more people will try it out. The more we use mass transit, the better it'll become. I'm not a spokesperson for public transport but a supporter of saving natural resources.

So save money using public transport and use that money to buy stamping supplies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 09:28 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I think we're all right there with ya! I'm really trying to coordinate all my shopping to once a week & stick with stores that are close together. I'm trying to eat in more & not out ~ saving food $$ & gas $$. I had been toying with the idea of moving ~ however we are just across from the school & my rent didn't go up too much ~ so for at least a year I'm staying put ~ I volunteer at the school a lot & the girls participate in a lot of the schools afterschool activities~ so if I can just walk well, that's a little savings ~~~

I really have way more stamping stuff then I could ever use. So, I guess my biggest money savings thing would be to just buy things when I absolutely need it ~ and not when I see some new fabulous thing here on SCS & end up ordering it... although those dang Copics are calling my name & they are soooo loud!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 09:29 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

The economy stinks, to say the least! My husband used to drive 1 hour to work, but in Novemenber took a job that is 5 miles from our home He took a $5000 pay cut, but in the end, it will be worth the small pay cut due to the money he will save in gas and less miles on the car! I have definitely been more aware of my purchases the past month! Groceries have gotten ridiculous, and will probably only get worse!

I design for Heartfelt Creations,
The Stamps Of Life
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 09:30 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just looking at history of the economy, there are always ups and downs. The ups way back when wasn't as high now because the value of the dollar was lower than it is now. If that makes sense. I do feel that we will see an improvement within time. It could be months or a couple of years. But it will happen.

Although I do hope SOONER than later.

I do worry about independent truck drivers though. :(

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 09:43 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

It most certainly effects us. My DH and I both drive in separate directions each day to work. I have a Trailblazer that I get 15 miles to the gallon and I drive 17 miles one way. My DH drives about 25 miles one way. I have tried to trade my SUV off but nobody wants it. Technically I am not supposed to get rid of it yet because we also have a boat (it is advertised everywhere for sale) and the Trailblazer pulls it. We have only received one call on our boat. We will probably be stuck with it because of the gas prices.

We live in a small town and we have to drive to do anything. So, just one of us has been going to grocery store or Walmart during the week instead of going together on a weekend. My husband says unless it is necessary or a planned event, no going anywhere on the weekends, so I have to find a way to stay active in stamping.

And yes, food is just about as bad. To top it off, I have two growing boys at age 15 and 11 1/2. They are eating us out of house and home and then still get mad when they can't frequent McDonalds every other day. They are in the fridge and the cabinets about every hour it seems.

We both have good paying jobs but it still affects the checkbook. It costs me $90 a week now to fill up. The strange thing is where my DH works, gas is $3.39/gallon and where we live and where I work, gas is $3.59/gallon.

I don't understand the huge difference between towns that are 40 miles apart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm feeling the "pinch" of gasoline prices lately. It took $75 to fill up my Hyundai CAR the other day. I nearly choked when I saw that number! I recently took a part-time job and luckily it is less than a mile away so I could choose to walk there except I usually get off work when it is dark and while the town I live in is fairly safe, I do have to walk past some apartments on the way to my neighborhood.

But I don't think it will mean I won't create anymore if I can't afford to buy all the latest and greatest. I mean, if we all admit it, we could probably "make it" for quite a long time without buying something new...if we had to. hehe!

Do I feel the pinch? Yes. Will it affect my abilities to create things? No.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 10:02 AM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Hopefully this will get more employers to do what has needed to be done for a long time .... increase the "work from home" opportunities AND/OR telecommuting... good for the environment, saves gas, saves us money, etc!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 10:03 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniesmomView Post
Stampaholic - we must have been posting at the same time. Got a horse you can sell to me? JK
I wish I could tell you a horse & buggy would be cheaper...but rising gas prices affect the cost of hay and grain too! Not to mention parking would be a pain...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

This has been on my mind a whole lot in the last couple of months. I just became a SU! demo in February, strictly as a hobby demo. I thought, no problem, I can make the minimums. Then the gas prices continued to rise dramatically, and everything around us from food to shipping costs rose right along with it! We live in the San Francisco area, home of the highest gas prices in the nation. Some stations have hit well over $4.00 a gallon in South San Francisco. We have a full size SUV that we're trying to downsize, as well as a much smaller more economical 4 door sedan. My hubby commutes 15-20 miles each way for work, and lately we've been having him drive the SUV because he travels only freeway miles and the gas in the SUV goes a lot further than my driving all over one end of town to the other schlepping children in it. My parents live about 20 miles from me and we're very used to going over there regularly, but lately I've been questioning the cost to go there. So sad! I know that my crafting habit is going to be affected very soon, with the cost to fill the SUV at 90+ dollars a tank. I'm sorry, that's just ridiculous!! But, I too will go without my special coffee, conveneince foods (eating out), and even some of the date nights with my hubby before I give up collecting stamps. This is so much cheaper than a therapist, and productive to boot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

We currently live in Germany...gas prices on the ecomony here are about 6 euro - over $9/gallon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 10:24 AM   #21  
Glitter Queen

I live in Canada and our fuel prices are ridiculous. We are now paying 1.30 a ltr. which works out to 5.59 a gal. My husband is a trucker and is paying more than that. To me there is no reason that it should be that high because there is so much of if out there. I had almost a full tank and thought to top it off at 1.14 ltr and is still cost me 30.00. Soon we will be reverted back to horse and buggy. It its to bad that both countries could not get together to try to stop all these hikes. I am walking or riding my bike where I can but I live in a small town with not much in it so I have to drive about 20 miles for anything. I try to wait until there is many appointments or shopping that I have to do before I go anywhere. Our countries are getting very scary for many things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

I have purchased VERY few new goodies lately. Luckily with my stash I could stamp forever and not run out ... just use what I have!!

Tamara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 10:30 AM   #23  
Glitter Queen

Yes I am getting a collection of stamps also. I could use mine for a very long time but it is so nice to get new ones. I go to some of these collectors that sell off their used stamps and buy them. I usually get a good price for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh don't! I just want to bury my head in the sand over the prices AND the fact that I have to drive to get anywhere. I know that the prices are no where near what it was when we lived in England but I do think the prices will have a knock on effect on the costs of Stamps as well.... which is worrying to say the least!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

An economist (Dr. Donald Ratajczak if you wish to google him) presented at the community college where I teach today...he "projects" that the real low point will hit around Aug. or Sept. and that things will start swinging up next summer. Obviously, he might be wrong but I'm going to hope he is on the right track.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #26  
Glitter Queen

Let's hope that he is right. I heard that around here it may take another year for things to get better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynamomView Post
Hopefully this will get more employers to do what has needed to be done for a long time .... increase the "work from home" opportunities AND/OR telecommuting... good for the environment, saves gas, saves us money, etc!!
Some studies have even shown this to lead to more productive employees...I know I get more done on the days I get to work from home for my online only classes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 10:53 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, I have to say for the size car I needed and what I needed it for I was severely limited in choices - I asked for high MPGs, reliability, etc and in the end for what I needed I had to settle for less MPGs... I truthfully wanted a diesel but I may as well as asked for a personal driver from Zog with the shocked looks I got with my request.... Truthfully its the only thing I don't like about my car and it gets great HWY miles... but its those little trips around town that are killer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 10:57 AM   #29  
Watercolor Wizard

gas prices in RI 3.65 a gallon. I drive a Toyota so I get great milage. My job is 5 miles so that is 10 miles daily and I drive Strategically on Sat when I do my shopping. I do not think for one min things will get better.The Majority
of Our oil is from the middle east, I feel this is done purposely to under mind our economy, I read yesterday that the middle east Opec leaders were saying the price per barrel is to cheap and they are going to increase it again. Being in New England we also heat by oil. min amount to be delivered is 100 gallons which right now is 400 dollars, our tanks are 200 gallon tanks. Not to sound like a doom and gloom person . But I do not see things getting better in the future. But my hope is in Christ Jesus alone, in Him I have total peace for the future truly lays in His Hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 11:01 AM   #30  
Glitter Queen

I won't stop stamping, but I have stopped using mounted stamps due to the cost. Actually, the clear are nice when you get 30-35 stamps in a set at PTI for $24 and free shipping with my order. Now that they have the most gorgeous, superior quality cardstock I am done with SU altogether. I have hung on for the paper and ink only, but no more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #31  
Glitter Queen

testing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #32  

Received 1,381 Likes on 515 Posts

I'll be the dissenting opinion and say, no, I'm not worried. Gas prices are a fact of life and one of those things that you just have to have in your budget. I have reduced my consumption of it by eliminating non-essential car trips, walking and biking my way around, and driving slower. More of the world is using oil - a huge demand will drive up prices.

I find it interesting that rather than talking about how to consume less gas and make personal changes/sacrifices, the focus is on how to get the price lower (I'm not talking about this discussion, but rather all the discussions on tv and in print). I don't know of anyone in my circle that has made any changes at all to their cars or driving habits, but they sure complain about gas prices.

Other than gas prices, I honestly don't see the economy as being "bad". The company my husband works for just had a record year of sales (and it's part of the retail industry, and they don't sell necessities). I believe the media has created a self-fulfilling prophecy - by constantly telling people we are in tough times, people panic and don't spend as much which hurts sales, which hurts companies' profits, which affects what they can pay their workers, which then begins the real downturn.

So, no, I'm not worried. Everything always turns out ok in the end anyways.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Public Transportation would be NICE- but we don't have it here!!!
Plus- my DH works about 25 mins from home- not TOO bad- he works in architecture and has to drive around to job sites frequently. So its really not an option for him. Luckily I am able to be a SAHM and i don't have to drive around too much- we live in town- so the school is right here close.
I just hope it DOES get better!
nothing is hidden that will not become evident, nor anything secret that will not be known and come to light. Luke 8:17
~Sara~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

Life ia all about choices. One of the choices we need to make as a country is to actively pursue ways to become less dependent on foreign sources of fuel. That will mean making some difficult choices. But it is really the only way we will ever have more control of the prices we pay for fuel and all things related. I also wholeheartedly agree with the telecommuting comments. Up until October of last year, I was a FT telecommuter- it rocked!!! Alas, our work evaporated (subprime mortgages hit rock bottom so my job went away), so I have been out of work sice. That means I'll have to commute again- at least 20 miles one way for me because I live in the country. Not for long- one of those tough choices I've had to make. It will get better eventually- it always does. Plus, the Lord is in control- cast your cares on Him.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 11:22 AM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
I'll be the dissenting opinion and say, no, I'm not worried. Gas prices are a fact of life and one of those things that you just have to have in your budget. I have reduced my consumption of it by eliminating non-essential car trips, walking and biking my way around, and driving slower. More of the world is using oil - a huge demand will drive up prices.

I find it interesting that rather than talking about how to consume less gas and make personal changes/sacrifices, the focus is on how to get the price lower (I'm not talking about this discussion, but rather all the discussions on tv and in print). I don't know of anyone in my circle that has made any changes at all to their cars or driving habits, but they sure complain about gas prices.

Other than gas prices, I honestly don't see the economy as being "bad". The company my husband works for just had a record year of sales (and it's part of the retail industry, and they don't sell necessities). I believe the media has created a self-fulfilling prophecy - by constantly telling people we are in tough times, people panic and don't spend as much which hurts sales, which hurts companies' profits, which affects what they can pay their workers, which then begins the real downturn.

So, no, I'm not worried. Everything always turns out ok in the end anyways.

I DO agree with you on the economy not being AS BAD as the media makes it out to be- sure in some places- its tougher- but my husband's office (they do architecture for commercial buildings) is SWAMPED right now- he's working10-13 hours a day!
Plus my BIL works for a place that builds cement mixers and his company just built a huge new facility...
so-its not an all over problem.

I also agree with looking at ways to reduce the costs/driving etc. My DH and i already do that- i clean his office and while i clean- he grocery shops- that way- its one trip a week-and we get everything done at once.

Good points!
~Sara~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #36  

Received 1,381 Likes on 515 Posts

I totally agree with you about the Lord being in control. I'm 33 and I've found everything always works out in the end. I've had some real faith-testers/builders in my life and God has worked it all for good. That is why I am not worried in the least about finances. He calls us to be good stewards of what he's entrusted us with, He calls us to be cheerful givers (never specifying that you have to have X amount to be a cheerful giver - think of the woman who gave her last two pennies to the temple), and promises to richly bless us. I can testify to it happening in not only our lives, but also many of my family members' lives! Praise the Lord!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 11:35 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

There is a gas station across from where I work and I watch as the gas prices go up daily. Yesterday they went up five cents a gallon and are now at $3.67 for regular. Diesel is $4.39!

We have a fifth wheel RV and we where suppose to leave for Key West a couple of weeks ago. With the increase in fuel It would have cost us a small fortune to get there. We have a seasonal camp site about 40 minutes from our house. We couldn't afford both a vacation in Florida and the $3000 to keep our site this season, so we chose to skip Florida. Last time we filled the truck up it cost us $120!!! I have a midsize car and it's costing about $60 to fill right now. Thank god I work only 7 miles from home. My DH works about 45 minutes from home and I don't even want to ask him what he's been spending on gas.

I use to go grocery shopping and buy ANYTHING I wanted...those days are long gone! The kids are grown and out of the house, so now it's just DH and myself and I can still spend $200 a week at the grocery store. The prices of groceries are outrages and I don't know how you women with young children still at home can afford it.

Heating fuel was another big expense this year. I don't even what to talk about the electric rate hike we had here!

I think all of us are feeling the effects of high fuel prices.

I certainly think twice about what I'm spending my money on now. I don't order as much stamping/scrapbooking supplies as I've done it the past.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

ladies I really do undersatnd my DH drives a truck and he pulls up to the pump on average 3 times a week and puts in at least $700. in diesel fuel I drive a durango and well I cry if i let it get under half a tank and have to pump fuel in it our gas jumped to $3.39 today last week we were at $3.19 a gal. price of food is goin up especially anything made with any kind of flour then of course because of the cost to deliver the products to the store the consumer will be seeing the cost also. I too have 2 boys 12&13 and we live in a small town I have to drive 45 mins- an hour to see anything but walmart. So the girls and I have gotten where if one of us has to go well we ask the others hey need to go or do you need me to pick up anything for you. We are really lucky for the movies the boys and i went to the matinee it cost for all 3 of us $7.50 to get in and we splurged on popcorn candy and drinks and that was another $8.00 so total it was under $20 we dont go all the time so it was our monthly treat and it was the new jackie chan & jet lie movie. We have made cut backs where we have had too but I know things will be getting tougher before they get better I just count my blessings and pray for those that are less fortunate. I remind my boys that they need to be thatnkful for the things they do have and pray for those that do not. ~~~bluegirl~~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 11:42 AM   #39  
Embossing Fanatic

I’m more concerned with whats coming regarding gas prices than what is now. I don’t drive much as it is, but DH drives 45min each way to work.

I’ve spent way more than I should have on stamps and other crafting goodies the past month or so and we’re remodeling our bedroom so I’m going to take it easy on the checkbook for a little bit lol.

Remember when everyone freaked out because gas hit $2.50 a gallon? Wasn’t that long ago :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 11:42 AM   #40  
Gallery Gazer

Wink

I just retired in January, so my income is half of what it used to be. On the other hand my daily expenses are down too - no more popping into Starbucks every morning on my way into the office for a venti chai. I try to have 2 - 3 "non-driving" days during the week and DH andn I don't drive much on weekends. Friday is my main errand day. I make a list of where I have to go and then number the places so I make the most efficient loop and don't backtrack. I live in South Jersey, near Philadelphia. I just bought gas this afternoon at a WaWa and paid $3.29 per gallon - cash. It was $3.35 for credit. My part of New Jersey seems to be less costly than across the river in PA right now. After discontinuing the cash/credit differential quite a few years ago, some stations are bringing it back. Now I have to make sure I hit the ATM before I go for gas.

DH and I were planning to sell our house and downsize to a small rancher in Roanoke, VA. The way the housing market is now, those plans are on hold right now.

As for stamping purchases - I'm still doing it, but I am watching for sales, taking advantage of coupons when I can, and stalking the sale bins. Now that I have the free time to stamp, I'm not about to give it up.
Reply With Quote Likes