Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any tips or advice for teaching a card making class at a retirement center?

I am scheduled to do my first card making class at a retirement center on February 1st. I wanted to make simple cards that didn't include tying ribbon or using punches that might be difficult to press. Any suggestions/samples would be greatly appreciated! This is only a one hour class so i want the cards to be easy to make and simple, but of course beautiful at the same time.

Thanks,
Melody
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Paula0712....Till you get the feel for the abilities/interest of the people attending, I would suggest putting together kits for them to do a card or two. Have everything pre-cut so all they have to do is put it together. Then after that first class, you can have a better idea of what the people are able to do or what their interest may be. There may be some older Senior Citizens, but there are also some younger ones who will have the abilities that you have. Also, talk to the Activities Director of the facility to get a feel for the level of people who will be attending. They may have some particular restrictions you need to follow also.

In any case, have fun. I've done it and have had a really good time with the people.

Patti
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
kazeka (10-10-2021)
Old 01-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clean and Simple

Go to the subject heading "splicoast challenges" and there is a link titled "clean and simple". I've gone there numberous times when I'm look for a simple/quick card to make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

You could do the basic clean and simple card with stations for add on steps for those with more dexterity.

What a blessing this class will be to the residents - way to go Melody!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Ooops.....My post below was addressed to Melody. I don't know where I got the other name from. I'm very sorry.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

what i have found is:

they can glue..use the big thick glue stick
they can stamp...don't bring your best stamp pads.
they can sticker...anywhere
they cannot do the little tiny brads or ribbons...unless pre zot dotted
they have their own style so don't expect them to copy a card exactly you've designed
they like to have their name on the back. ie use address labels
they love doing it.

have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #7  
Inking Addict

I agree with the pre-cut, ready-to-assemble suggestions. I have found in teaching card classes (and this was true for all ages, not just seniors), that it was well worth it to cut, punch and trim as much as I could before class. It let me spend more time helping those who needed individual help, chatting with those who attended and let the class members be creative. Plus, I wasn't as concerned when I demoed the card about cutting my pieces the right size, because it was already done! Most of all, relax and have fun. If you are having fun, so will they!
Reply With Quote Likes
Muvs (10-10-2021)
Old 01-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I agree that premade kits with all the pieces ready so all they have to do is assemble them will work best. You may be dealing with quite a range of talent levels so esp. for the first class I would set up kits so all they have to do is assemble them.

With all the great die cutters and such, you can make very nice embellishments for them to put on their cards.

Holley
a new project everyday! http://holleybarnhartsblog.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2010, 04:26 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

I had a group at our local senior center for several years. Prep is important. I found it better to try to come up with cards that you don't have to color with markers or pencils. The more solid stamps that you stamp into a color inkpad work best.
The favorites in our group were the Rubber Stamp Tapestry Stamps, that are peg stamps. Anyone can use them, even those with arthritic hands. I'm fortunate to have several sets, so each person had their own set to use. Provide envelopes, so they can mail their cards right away. We had men in our group, so we always had some stamps appropriate for them to use. Good luck, I know you will have fun. Eileen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2010, 06:20 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I have never taught a class but have taken many.

-I would suggest you put all the 'makings' for a card in an envelope that can be used to send the card.

-Depending on the ability of the group members, keep the pieces in the medium to large size and easy to attach

-Maybe, instead of stamping, you could use rub-ons (I just have sayings but know that there are images that can be bought. I have seen them at the Dollar/99 Cents Store and at the Michael's/JoAnn $1 bins)

-Remember to make cardmaking a 'fun' experience

Good luck and have fun along with you students!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2010, 07:43 AM   #11  
Knit, Purl, Stamp

I've been "teaching" a card/craft class at the Assisted Living center near me for about 9 months now. The main thing that I try and do is provide an idea and then let them go to town. I prefer cards that have punched elements since I can pre-punch them before class. They also love flowers. I buy a fairly cheap stem at JoAnns or Michaels and then take them off the stems. I usually have to put the glue dot on the flowers and then have the residents glue them onto their card. I also stay away from ribbon - it's too hard for most of them to tie.

I've found that stamping with them tends to be very difficult. I usually stamp the sentiment for the residents - and they tend to prefer that. It makes the sentiment legible. Other than a sentiment and something for the inside, I don't include stamping on my cards.

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

SPEAK UP!
Reply With Quote Likes
Bahb (10-10-2021)
Old 01-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I have taught at both assisted living and at three local senior centers. I find the senior centers are easier to teach...in most cases they are active older adults. They have some trouble with cutting, hate tying bows (let them tie knots) and can't do large punches. Everything else they are cool with and even if they get the mounting crooked, the words crooked...they are so happy to have made3 it themselves and they still use the cards! Assisted living adults need specialized attention. Keep your classes small because you will be running around the tables helping everyone. I have had alzheimer patients who can't remember instructions, people with hands badly crippled by arthritis, even one lady who had cerebral palsy. To every extent possible, I let them do everything themselves but I do a lot of running from person to person for one-on-one work. They love it and their families are appreciative that they received a card handmade! It is one of the most rewarding things I do as a demo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2010, 09:06 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you so much everyone for all the advice!!! I have my class in a couple of hours, and I will let everyone know how it goes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I have thought about doing the same with used greeting cards and making a magnetic
book mark. Let me know what you thought.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniserowsView Post
what i have found is:

they can glue..use the big thick glue stick

have fun
I would agree with keeping it simple and using glue sticks. I have had ladies have trouble with the tape runners and Mono Multi. It is hard for them to control the amount of liquid glue that squeezes out and they love the tape runners but have a hard time using them...or use too much. Have fun!

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks again for all the advice! We had alot of fun at the class. Although there was 6 women that attended only a few of them made cards, the others brought their knitting & cross stiching projects with them. I found that the few that made cards really enjoyed using products they've never used before and creating something with them. The ones that just watched weren't interested in learning something new at the moment (which I completely understand)

I pre-cut embellishments and used gluesticks (both were suggested and definetly a good idea!) I didn't plan on selling anything at this class, I just wanted to do something with my talent & tools that God has given me, with others that would enjoy it. But I would definetly recommend making your own small starter bundle suggestions that they could order if you were planning on selling products. I've found most people new to stamping don't know where to start when purchasing supplies and alot feel overwhelmed thinking they will have to buy half the catalog to start making their own cards/scrapbooking.

Anyways thanks again for the wonderful tips and suggestions Overall this was a good experience! People at nursing homes & retirement centers really get overlooked and it is a shame. I personally try to visit my grandma and hang out with her at least a couple of times a month if not once a week. I love it! She is an amazing woman! And just spending time with them makes a bigger difference then people realize!

Melody
Reply With Quote Likes
harvestmoon (11-23-2022)
Old 10-10-2021, 02:40 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Reviving this thread to see if anyone has any new advice for offering a beginner card class at an assisted living facility. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2021, 10:15 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsclark2001View Post
Reviving this thread to see if anyone has any new advice for offering a beginner card class at an assisted living facility. Thanks!
I taught card making classes at a senior center and at retirement communities for years (until COVID shut everything down for in-person classes). I found that many of the participants are unable to cut intricate shapes with scissors, or use punches at all. Some have visual problems that make it difficult to cut straight lines, etc. I ended up making card kits for each class, with everything pre-cut and ready to glue. Are you responsible for all the supplies, or does the center have tools and supplies for you to use in the class? If you are supplying stamps etc, I would stick to simple images that don't involve any or much coloring, and are ready to use as-is. Any ribbons or bows should be pre-tied, and ready to attach to the card. I used to stamp out a variety of sentiments and cut them in strips for people to use, and also have sentiment stamps available for those who wanted to stamp their own.
The main thing was to keep it simple enough so everyone felt good about their finished card, and frustrations were kept to a minimum. Those who are more experienced, or more able to use the tools could customize their card beyond the basic design.
I also made a sample card, so participants could understand what the finished product looked like. I encouraged them to customize by picking different patterned papers or colors. So you can have a variety of card base colors or patterns available, or just have them all the same..it's up to you.
Those are the things that worked for me...good luck!
Karen
P/S: I just read the comments before mine and wanted to say that I also found that glue sticks worked the best. Many of the crafters were unable to squeeze a liquid glue bottle, and they had trouble with tape runners etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2021, 04:22 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
I taught card making classes at a senior center and at retirement communities for years (until COVID shut everything down for in-person classes). I found that many of the participants are unable to cut intricate shapes with scissors, or use punches at all. Some have visual problems that make it difficult to cut straight lines, etc. I ended up making card kits for each class, with everything pre-cut and ready to glue. Are you responsible for all the supplies, or does the center have tools and supplies for you to use in the class? If you are supplying stamps etc, I would stick to simple images that don't involve any or much coloring, and are ready to use as-is. Any ribbons or bows should be pre-tied, and ready to attach to the card. I used to stamp out a variety of sentiments and cut them in strips for people to use, and also have sentiment stamps available for those who wanted to stamp their own.
The main thing was to keep it simple enough so everyone felt good about their finished card, and frustrations were kept to a minimum. Those who are more experienced, or more able to use the tools could customize their card beyond the basic design.
I also made a sample card, so participants could understand what the finished product looked like. I encouraged them to customize by picking different patterned papers or colors. So you can have a variety of card base colors or patterns available, or just have them all the same..it's up to you.
Those are the things that worked for me...good luck!
Karen
P/S: I just read the comments before mine and wanted to say that I also found that glue sticks worked the best. Many of the crafters were unable to squeeze a liquid glue bottle, and they had trouble with tape runners etc.
Thanks so much Karen. This is very helpful information!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2021, 04:57 PM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I've also taught many seniors for the last 10 years or so. It is very rewarding to see students who come in fearful that they are not artistic enough, don't know how to use tools, or just plain timid about making cards....and with a bit of training, watch them create some really nice work to share with friends and family. Most importantly, I try to emphasize one of Tim Holtz's early quotes about "Embracing imperfection"
I have one student in a wheelchair who can only use one hand and only her fingertips. She is a happy person, very willing to share ideas and she the patience to do truly remarkable intricate die-cutting.
My students continue to inspire me!!! Enjoy your class....virtual now, or back in person when possible again.
Reply With Quote Likes
kazeka (10-12-2021)
Old 11-05-2022, 10:39 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Found group by looking up this topic. My friend and are thinking about doing a card make at the local senior center. This has been very helpful! I hadn't thought of glue sticks. I had been thinking one of those simple cards where you use a few pieces of pattern paper layered then add a sentiment, thinking I could cut a variety of papers in the proper shapes, and they could mix and match. Hadn't thought of message inside either.
Reply With Quote Likes