Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Any ideas to make card making "easier"?

I have enough card making supplies to stock a small stamp store. I think my supplies are pretty organized and yet I seem to take forever to produce a small amount of cards. Does anyone have any tips on what they do to make the process smoother and quicker? Don't get me wrong, I love the card making process, but I keep thinking I should be able to make cards a little easier/faster. Thanks in advance for sharing your tips!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say look at what you have.
Paper, ink, ribbon...etc.
Then look here for "Clean and Simple" ideas. Search gallery....
Michelle Wooderson and Dawn McVey are great sites for that type of cardmaking.
There are hundreds of blogs that cater to quick ideas...
Mish Mash
My Favorite Things

What's was your style when you did have "Mojo"???
What do you seem to need most when needing a card? Birthday, Sympathy, Thank You, Thinking of You, etc.
Christmas is on the way...Hmmmmmmm.
Just my humble thoughts...hope they help ya...
Be blessed and don't stress...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Lucky for me, I have no lack of MOJO. Thanks for sharing the CAS web sites. They look great.

What I am wondering about is more in the preparation process. Do you stamp lots of random images and have them ready when you make a card? Do you have a bunch of pre-cut card bases? Do you die-cut shapes and have them filed for when you need a certain shape? Do you make card kits?

I tend to make a card start to finish, but I think some people must follow a different process than me. Maybe I am not alone in the way I create cards, but I have been wondering if someone does it differently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I do it just like you, plus I don't really CASE much, so it does seem to take ages! Sometimes I spend ages and it comes out rubbish, that's when I get cross. Usually I like them well enough, occasionally I am really pleased with the outcome. I'd love to hear if anyone makes theirs differently!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

I make a card from start to finish as a template and then make however many I need for whatever swap I am in at the time.

I don't stamp lots of images ahead of time, I don't cut a bunch of card bases, I don't own a die cut machine. I don't have any card kits on hand right now.

It just depends on what swaps I'm in and what projects I've got going on that dictates what I do.

The only thing I keep a good stash of is card candy. I really need to sit down one of these days and make a bunch of cards with the candy I have already but the thought of making "just one card" and not mass producing is so odd to me ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

One thing I do that makes creating easier for me, is I stamp a bunch of images in black memento ink, and take them to work so I can color them on my lunch hr. I bring my copics or colored pencils and just relax. I now have a folder of various images all ready to go and when I need a card I have choices already colored when I need them. I also find that when I am coloring my images people are fascinated and ask me about it and I have sold many many cards that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 360 Likes on 186 Posts

I have card bases in white and various colors already cut & scored in a file on my table. I will also cut some extra die cuts (especially ovals) when I am at the Cuttlebug. I have some images stamped in black waiting to be colored but that doesn't seem to help me. I also have a cello bag with images stamped and colored that I do incorporate from time to time into a card. From time to time I force myself to use only elements on my table and that's an interesting exercise. I think I could make cards for at least a week with stuff on my table. HTH's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quitting your day time job to stamp all day? JK

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I want to stock up or make a stack of cards I will pre-cut all the pieces then assemble in assembly line fashion...usually make all the card fronts then glue them onto the card bases.
I have some customers who really like my lighthouse cards, so for those and other images that I will watercolor, I stamp a sheet of watercolor paper with multiple images and watercolor them when I'm at swim practice etc. Then when I have a bunch ready to go I'll design and assemble a bunch at once.
For general card making I find that having a place for everything and keeping things organized has really helped. I have drawers for my papers and throw all my scraps in there...so when I go to make a card I can either pull out a full sheet or pieces as needed. I also punch shapes or cut the centers out of my layers to keep my cards lighter and to save on paper, so I have those pre-cut pieces in my drawers as well. I also have a few boxes of "rejects" which didn't get used on other cards, but are perfectly good elements ready to find a home. Sometimes I challenge myself to make cards just using up some of those!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for all the ideas here passed on in this thread. But, all in all, card making does take time to compose a layout that is color coordinated, embellishment friendly, with a decent message under it all. I guess when I look at the different sites with absolutely fabulous card ideas I get the idea I can do it too...until I get at the craft table and start trying to pull it all together...then I realize that these gals that put out really awesome creations are not only experienced but gifted. My cards turn out very nice and I get lots of compliments but when in that art room, I have to settle myself to realize, things just take time. Very few cards ever "pop" together quickly. When I do finish a card, I make 4-5 of them to have on hand for future use. That does save time, especially the sympathy cards that we always need. I do make the majority of my cards from start to finish...some get set aside at certain points where I just can't seem to pull it together but get back to later. Often when I get a fresh idea I put a sketch in one of several bins just for new card ideas with papers, embellishments, ribbons in it that coordinate to return to later. It works great. Right now I have about 5 bins with starts for cards. Keeps my brain from spinning off my head when I am working on a card and a "brilliant" idea comes to me for a different card. I would love to hear how some of these really productive ladies organize themselves, too.

Last edited by dottiejdavis; 09-08-2011 at 05:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whole process of creating a card should not be a chore nor something you do quick. It takes time to select just the right image, paper, colors, etc for each card. Enjoy the process and stop trying to short cut it. I guess you have to really decide if you like creating cards or is it a chore for you? If it's a chore, then don't do it.

I could never mass produce greeting cards unless it was for a particular set I was giving away to someone special.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

I generally start off with an idea I've either cased or an idea that just pops into my head. I then work assembly line style because I typically make about 10 cards at a time. I am usually making cards for a swap or putting kits together for a class so I cut, punch and fold everything ahead of time. It takes me several hours to make 10 cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I never worry about how long it takes to make a card. Sometimes it all comes together in a matter of minutes and sometimes it takes me several days to get something I like. I never start in the same place because the idea may be a color, a particular stamp, a technique, etc. I find the joy in creating and when it's not comming together I clean and organize and ususally I find something that gives me a new idea.

I've tried doing advance work like coloring images, pre-punching, etc and I just don't seem to want to use them. I like starting from scratch everytime. So do I have any advice? No, other than don't worry about how long it takes. I teach a lot of classes and I have speedy stamper that always finish early and stampers that take twice as long as everyone else. Just enjoy the process
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

It usually takes me a long time to make a card, but once I like the one I'm making, I make another to put in my stash. There are times when I just play around and make a bunch of "generic" cards to put in my stash and when I need a card quickly I can add a sentiment to it and have it done in a flash. That way I never feel pressured that I have to make a card in a specified amount of time 'cause that's when my cards turn out looking awful or ugly to me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2011, 06:36 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Thanks for the great ideas.

I really like the idea of making some generic cards. I don't know why I haven't taken the time to do that, because it would be great to have some ready to go in a flash.

I also like the idea of putting a bunch of things together in a box so you can open and start creating. I have done a little bit of that when I am working on big projects such as Christmas cards or recipe card albums.Doing the same thing with an idea for a specific card could work great for me.

It may seem that I am not enjoying the card making process but that is so NOT the case. I love all of it! I do wonder how people have so many cards that they don't know what to do with them. I am not there yet. It always seems like I am behind by a half a dozen. I knew you would all have brilliant ideas to share. It is always so fun to see how you all create. Thanks for sharing and keep the ideas coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #16  

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

Most of the time I make a specific card for a specific person but when I need to make a bunch of the same cards like at Christmas then I set up an "assembly line".

Once I've made the prototype I then proceed to cut ALL of the materials for the card for how many ever cards I'm going to make. Then I do the same assembly step for each of the cards and continue in this manner until all cards are made.

Whenever I making one of a kind cards though I really don't have a "make it easy" mindset. I try to only have out what I'm planning on using on the card. I test stamp images on plain copy paper to test color schemes that way there is little to no waste of CS.
I do have at least 2 bases cut and scored of each color of CS. That way if I'm in a hurry I don't have to do the cutting and scoring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2011, 08:05 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Michelle Wooderson," Mish Mash", is a wonderfully talented designer and cardmaker. I've been reading her blog since I started making cards.

Here is a link to an old post on mass production, which has lots of tips and inspiration:

Mish Mash: Mass Production Help

Everyone is different in their creative process, but I generally make at least 4 cards alike when I have an idea for a card. I may use a different sentiment on the fronts, but the basic cards are the same.

My stamping stuff is kept in a spare bedroom, and I bring things to a table in my living room to craft. It seems silly to me to make only one card after I've gotten everything out. Also, my method is to make card fronts and attach to a white cardstock base, so I can get 4 fronts from one piece of 8-1/2 x 11 paper.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #18  
Glitter Queen

I've been making cards for about a year and am a little frustrated and confused about cardstock quality. Has anyone ever used Neenah Classic Crest, 80 lb. cover? Just wondering if it's better than something you'd buy at a local craftstore, considering it costs $35.00 a pack (250 sheets)...

I'm trying to find something thicker than the cheap stuff, but still able to fold. Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Stampin' Up! I had no idea how poor the quality of the big craft store card stock was until I got introduced to SU. I'll never go back to that kind of card stock again if I have any choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I score and cut several card bases at a time, usually white and cream (but have some colored CS already done too).

This may seem like a no-brainer to some people, but if you score your CS first and then cut it, you'll save having to score 2 bases. Several years ago, I was cutting first until the lightbulb came on!

I used to pre-stamp images, had tons of pre-punched embellishments, lots of die cuts already cut, but I found it was not only a chore to store them, but a chore to pull them out and actually use them. So I don't do that anymore.

As for paper, PTI white is the best IMO. But I also love the 110 lb Georgia Pacific cardstock you get at Sam's Club - 250 sheets for around $7.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #21  
Glitter Queen

Thanks for the replies! Always helps to know what others have discovered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'll sometimes sit and watch tv with a pad of graph paper and pencil to come up with layout ideas.
I also like the challenges here - not having to come up with a sketch or what colors to use helps.
If I'm stuck on a stamp set (PTI Quilters Sampler is the most recent), I'll stamp out a bunch of images and use my Copics to color them in a variety of colors for quick and easy cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Most of my cards are made in 5 minutes or less because it is usually one of my kids asking me for a birthday card or my husband asking for a thank you card. I just keep them simple and throw in a little glitter or bling to make them special. I'm a 5 minute quickie gal! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siberian StamperView Post
That's it! This one works for me! LOL!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluehorseView Post
I've been making cards for about a year and am a little frustrated and confused about cardstock quality. Has anyone ever used Neenah Classic Crest, 80 lb. cover? Just wondering if it's better than something you'd buy at a local craftstore, considering it costs $35.00 a pack (250 sheets)...

I'm trying to find something thicker than the cheap stuff, but still able to fold. Thanks for any suggestions!
I often make no-layer white cards, but whether I'm doing that or layering a focal image onto a colored base, white card stock is just one supply/staple that I personally choose not to use anything less than high quality.

Is Neenah better than what you'd buy at the local craft store? Yes, that has been my experience. So, to make sure I have plenty and never run out (cuz where I live, all we've got for craft supplies of any kind is Wal-Mart), I do buy my favorite card stock basics (white/vanilla, etc.) by the ream, if they are available that way.

I consume a lot of these two colors, so for me it's the way to go.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #26  
Glitter Queen

Thanks! So confusing; it definitely helps to hear my thoughts confirmed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
I score and cut several card bases at a time, usually white and cream (but have some colored CS already done too).

This may seem like a no-brainer to some people, but if you score your CS first and then cut it, you'll save having to score 2 bases. Several years ago, I was cutting first until the lightbulb came on!

I used to pre-stamp images, had tons of pre-punched embellishments, lots of die cuts already cut, but I found it was not only a chore to store them, but a chore to pull them out and actually use them. So I don't do that anymore.

As for paper, PTI white is the best IMO. But I also love the 110 lb Georgia Pacific cardstock you get at Sam's Club - 250 sheets for around $7.
We would be compatible stampers-in-law, lol. I score like that, too. I also love and use the Sam's cardstock. I use it for my card bases, notecard sets, and also for images. I have no problems coloring on it with Copics and other markers.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Default I make up card kits.....

I find a card I like. Make one for an example. Then put the rest of the supplies to make three more in a ziplock bag. I then move on to another card and do the same.

I get about 3-4 kits made then I pull one out when I want to work on something.

This has worked great for me when I make cards with friends. That way I can blab my head off and not have to think of what I am making. Cuts down on what I need to bring too!

Hope this helps!

Beaglelover
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeagleloverView Post
I find a card I like. Make one for an example. Then put the rest of the supplies to make three more in a ziplock bag. I then move on to another card and do the same.

I get about 3-4 kits made then I pull one out when I want to work on something.

This has worked great for me when I make cards with friends. That way I can blab my head off and not have to think of what I am making. Cuts down on what I need to bring too! Hope this helps!
Beaglelover
This is what I do when I meet with my card making group every other week. Otherwise I get nothing done in the 3 hours we're there. Last week I finished 8 cards and spent time showing others how to do some techniques new to them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Gina K Designs has great card stock!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I do pre-cut and pre-score card backers. We have a print shop so I'm lucky to have the equipment to be able to cut and score massive quanitites of white, cream, red, blue, and brown backers as well as cut 4.25" x 5.5" layers. I then fold the backers while I'm watching TV. It really helps to have the backers and layers all ready to use because I do lots of cards for shoebox projects and swaps and for From Our Hearts for the troops to send home to their families.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I haven't read all the ideas here since I'm just home on lunch and in a rush but I wanted to say that I think my card making became much better and a bit quicker when I started doing challenges. For me, often times the sketch and or the color combo is the hardest part. In doing a challenge, these things are often already decided for you! So, while it still does take some time it's kind of like a head start. It's also fun because sometimes it forces you to do a layout or combo that's outside of something you'd normally do!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #33  
Embossing Fanatic

I have trouble making cards quickly, too. I always marvel when Beate makes a card in a tutorial because it's finished in mere minutes. I think I over analyze my design and then worry that it doesn't look "professional" enough and try to think of something to give it the "wow" factor. I'm a little bit of a perfectionist (my husband says, "Ha") and I think that hurts the production time, too. We need to relax and just have fun. Remember, only God makes perfect things
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #34  
Embossing Fanatic

Good question Annie!
I know it's really difficult and I've heard it's quite painless (I haven't tried this myself) but some people say turning the computer off helps them make cards quicker...I don't think I'll be trying this though, you might all disappear if I turn of my computer so I won't risk it lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluehorseView Post

If you are wanting JUST white - there are quite a few great ones - PTI, Gina K, SU, A Muse. Even Georgia Pacific from Walmart is not bad.

It just depends upon what you are DOING with the paper. For just card bases - I would not use Neenah - mainly for the cost. BUT, if you are using copics and coloring - that is great paper, but so are others for coloring.

I think I have PTI, SU, A Muse and Georgia Pacific. I know I don't have any Gina K left. Where are you located? I don't minding sending a few sheets of each (labeled) so you can see and feel the difference - and well USE it to! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #36  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocolate ladyView Post
I have trouble making cards quickly, too. I always marvel when Beate makes a card in a tutorial because it's finished in mere minutes. I think I over analyze my design and then worry that it doesn't look "professional" enough and try to think of something to give it the "wow" factor. I'm a little bit of a perfectionist (my husband says, "Ha") and I think that hurts the production time, too. We need to relax and just have fun. Remember, only God makes perfect things
But...how do you know Beate's card was done quickly. She may have spent hours on that one card design before making a tutorial.

As for my "quick" cards, they sometimes take hours to make. Perfection isn't a fast process.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

I've discovered OSW's (one sheet wonders). In a newletter thread this summer, I found a pattern by Jessica Taylor. The instructions include templates for cardstock. I started cutting three sets at a time using different papers and had 48 cards done in less than a day. I did not adhere the cardstock for the image until after stamping which was left to the end. I also precut and scored about 100 card bases. I started another three sets that same day and had them done by the next afternoon. Stickers for the focal point makes it go really fast. By using mostly OSW's, I was able to make 187 cards last month, the majority of which were done when I started doing assembly line and more than one set at a time. Oh, I was also able to tweak them by varying spacing and images so that they were similar, but not identical. Hope this helps.

This link can be found in newsletter #261 - Hoarding patterned paper - making card sets Post #7. Sorry I don't know how to link to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

I struggle with the same issue: why isn't it easier for me to make cards? It took me awhile, but I figured out that it has Everything to do with My own Personality: it takes me a long time to get things just right, and so it is with my cards. I end up coming up with many ideas while making one card- so I now take pictures of all my ideas. When I go to assemble it, I do try to make at least two of more-or-less the same card, but even then I tweak that second one somewhat. Then I have a hard time deciding who gets 'stuck' with that first one!

One thing that I probably 'waste too much time on' is looking for inspiration from others' cards. Turns out that IS a great resource, but only AFTER I decide on exactly which papers I am going to use because THAT really determines just what my actual card will look like. Oftentimes other cards use a style that I cannot duplicate given my current stash. Once I determine the paper, THEN I can go & find some examples of cards that have similar paper (bright & bold vs subtle & elegant). It's much easier for me that way.

I also think that my efficiency would be improved if I had a permanent craft spot. So, when I do take everything out to create, I do try to at least leave everything out for a few days & just make as many cards as I can until I have to put it all away again. One thing I did do which helped a lot is I now leave my die cut machine out all the time. That has saved me a huge amount of time & effort and now I use die cuts all the time!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #39  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siberian StamperView Post
Ohhhh...if only I could! LOL! :grin:

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #40  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by LazorkayView Post
If you are wanting JUST white - there are quite a few great ones - PTI, Gina K, SU, A Muse. Even Georgia Pacific from Walmart is not bad.

It just depends upon what you are DOING with the paper. For just card bases - I would not use Neenah - mainly for the cost. BUT, if you are using copics and coloring - that is great paper, but so are others for coloring.

I think I have PTI, SU, A Muse and Georgia Pacific. I know I don't have any Gina K left. Where are you located? I don't minding sending a few sheets of each (labeled) so you can see and feel the difference - and well USE it to! LOL
You are too kind! Thanks so much, but I went ahead and ordered the Neenah. Should be coming in any day.
Reply With Quote Likes