Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #1  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another postage thread!

Hi all, I know this has been mentioned before in some threads but I thought it was worth bringing up again, because I completely did not understand the different rate scales and I got more info today at the PO...just passing on a heads up. Sorry if it's old news to everyone else!
First, I'm sure you've heard the rates go up May 11. It will go from 42c to 44c for 1 oz letters; Canadian rates are going up more than that (the clerk thought it was going from 72c to 79c but she wasn't positive).
I also got a little more info about the different rate scales: while a letter that's non machinable is just 20cents extra, if you are over 3.5 oz and non-machinable (ie ANY kind of brad or eyelet in there), it becomes a "package" (which costs more per oz, a whole new scale). So, if you send 6 cards with NO metal, you probably have what's considered a large letter, and that's the 2nd scale (more than a letter but less than a package)...BUT if you have even ONE eyelet on there, it's a package, even if it only weighs 4 oz and is less than 3/4" thick...
The clerk told me about a guy who sent some tiny screws (for a craft, not ones with big heads) in bubble wrap, less than 3/4" thick and lightweight...they didn't charge non-machineable rates so it went through the machine and it completely tore up the envelope--he got bits of the envie back (the contents were lost). So, the machine can tear up an envie with even a tiny piece of metal in it.
Just a heads up, guess I'll be going to the PO more often to be safe :(

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Did not know that about the metal. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Default metal?

If the package was "less than 3/4" thick", they should have used the standard USPS template, which would have ruled that package too thick. The envelope should fit through the slot on the template, which is 1/4" thick.

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow, didn't know about this. Thanks for sharing it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Default Try ours

Our mail in Canada went up Feb. 4 but they didn't publish it at all. I saw some mail coming in at 54 cents and thought it was 52 cents. Got a rate sheet at the PO and sure enough it is 54 cents for Canada, 98 cents for the US and $1.65 overseas. Of course you have to add the 5% Goods and Services tax and next year our harmonized tax which will be 13% in Ontario as well.

Besides that, we have not had Saturday mail since the early 1970s and when there is a holiday, we often do not get mail for 4 days such as over Christmas and Easter. Of course at Easter, banks and Post Offices had both Good Friday and Easter Monday off so no mail.

The above rates are for up to about an ounce, it is a lot more for larger envelopes and parcels, don't even go there. Yours is about half.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I know I've been doing a lot of rethinking when it comes to embellishing my cards! I've heard where cards I have sent have been received with postage due. One to my sil (also a cardmaker) who couldn't figure it out. And I put extra postage on one of them! They should cut us some slack - we're about the only people who send 'real' cards any more - not e-cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

After receiving some cards with embellishments that were damaged by the post office, it made me re-think how I make my cards. I rarely use embellishments anymore, and when I do, I rarely use brads. If I make a card that does have a metal object, I cover that part of the envelope with packing tape to keep it from tearing through. If a card has a lot of bumpy stuff on it, I will add a very thin piece of bubble wrap (like the kind electronics are wrapped in) to the front of the card before placing it in the envelope. It still goes for under 1/4" and I feel my card is a bit more protected.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

...........ugggggg this is terrible news.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't think I have ever mailed a card without a brad or something on it, and haven't had any issues as long as it is under 1/4" thick. I'll be interested to see if this changes under the new rates. I have noticed a lot more people putting in some kind of cushioning on cards I've recieved, sometimes even just an extra piece of cardstock between the card front and the envelope. I might try doing that to help protect the embellisments.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I'm going to start making "enveloboxes" for my cards with lumpy embellishments and just pay the extra postage. Sometimes the occasion just calls for a really extravagant card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Can you give us an idea where we might find these "enveloboxes," scrapcat71? Sounds like a good idea. What does postage usually run on one of those?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've not had any problems whatsoever with bumpy cards--other than paying the extra postage for the extra thickness. I use lots of layers, pop dots, eyelets, ribbons--and haven't heard of any needing extra postage. I've also had a chance to see some of these cards after they've gone through the system--they were fine.

I think it truly depends on the post office you are going to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

The postage costs 17 cents more if your envie is over 1 oz which is not going to change when the rates go up May 11th. If you purchase Forever stamps now you won't have to add the extra 2 cents. They are sold in books of 20 for 8.40. If your card is square it costs 20 cents more so simply put a square card in a rectangular envelope. You can put a brad or eyelet on a card without the postage going up. If it is 1/4 inch thick or less you will be fine. A screw has bulk and is why the envie tore. Hope it helps a little. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Default enveloboxes?

What do you make yours out of? If it were just CS, wouldn't it just smoosh?

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #15  
Sis
Insane Embellisher

I have missed this and appreciate it being repeated. Oh geez I had no idea and will pack better even if it costs more. We spend to much time on our things and I don't want them ruined.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post
If the package was "less than 3/4" thick", they should have used the standard USPS template, which would have ruled that package too thick. The envelope should fit through the slot on the template, which is 1/4" thick.

Jutta
Yes, that is for a "letter," but the next category is up to 3/4" thick (without metal). It's confusing even to the employees!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by peebsmamaView Post
After receiving some cards with embellishments that were damaged by the post office, it made me re-think how I make my cards. I rarely use embellishments anymore, and when I do, I rarely use brads. If I make a card that does have a metal object, I cover that part of the envelope with packing tape to keep it from tearing through. If a card has a lot of bumpy stuff on it, I will add a very thin piece of bubble wrap (like the kind electronics are wrapped in) to the front of the card before placing it in the envelope. It still goes for under 1/4" and I feel my card is a bit more protected.
Well, according to this particular clerk, even with the bubble wrap it COULD get stuck in the rollers and tear the envie. I'm sure it's less likely but it did happen to this guy...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2009, 07:13 PM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by postmarkView Post
The postage costs 17 cents more if your envie is over 1 oz which is not going to change when the rates go up May 11th. If you purchase Forever stamps now you won't have to add the extra 2 cents. They are sold in books of 20 for 8.40. If your card is square it costs 20 cents more so simply put a square card in a rectangular envelope. You can put a brad or eyelet on a card without the postage going up. If it is 1/4 inch thick or less you will be fine. A screw has bulk and is why the envie tore. Hope it helps a little. Good luck!
Actually, if they want to be really picky, the square card in the rectangular envie is still extra postage because it is not "uniform thickness" (it is thinner where the card isn't filling the space). Ditto for the brads. Even the metal clasp on the manila envie makes it "non machineable" (according to my PO clerk)!

DebZa, you are correct, in that many of them will get through no problem (the clerk even said that not every employee understands these regulations)--BUT, you ARE taking a chance. If you are paying "extra postage" though--you're fine because it will be hand stamped then.
The bigger problem comes in with swaps, where you are going over 1/4" thick...if you are under 1/4" thick, you can just pay the extra 20c and make it non machineable (if it has any metal or bumps on it).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

If mine is too bumpy, i just throw in a piece off the cereal box to make both sides smooth
Reply With Quote Likes