Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-24-2021, 09:22 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 862 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Affordable or low cost supplies...

I discovered last night that if I pour my Aleene's Tacky glue (in the gold bottle) into my tiny glue bottle with the tiny metal tip that it works great for using with my cards. So happy, as it's in my stash, and going to save me some $. As long as it dispenses it in thin lines, it seems to work fine. I may have to clean out the tip of my bottle often, but that's alright!
I also ordered some silicone nail tools. I had read that the small ones are great for applying glitter glue/stickles etc..., so no more ruined paint brushes. I haven't received them yet, so I'll give you an update on how they work. I also read that the larger silicone tool is good for blending oil pastels on paper.
Have you discovered any great affordable supplies or uses for things you already had in your stash?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 6 users liked this post by hoptownracer1:
browpr (10-27-2021), kazeka (11-01-2021), Kendel (10-27-2021), pvicek (10-27-2021), Scrapjanny (10-25-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 05:40 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Great ideas! I use the inexpensive blender sponge "buds" and the small yellow sponges cut into quarters to lightly apply ink to my cardstock. The mini buds actually fit in the finger dauber case that I have. I buy them on Amazon, and they're very inexpensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by Scrapjanny:
hoptownracer1 (10-25-2021), pvicek (10-27-2021), shirlb19 (10-30-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 07:12 AM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1View Post
I discovered last night that if I pour my Aleene's Tacky glue (in the gold bottle) into my tiny glue bottle with the tiny metal tip that it works great for using with my cards. So happy, as it's in my stash, and going to save me some $. As long as it dispenses it in thin lines, it seems to work fine. I may have to clean out the tip of my bottle often, but that's alright!
I also ordered some silicone nail tools. I had read that the small ones are great for applying glitter glue/stickles etc..., so no more ruined paint brushes. I haven't received them yet, so I'll give you an update on how they work. I also read that the larger silicone tool is good for blending oil pastels on paper.
Have you discovered any great affordable supplies or uses for things you already had in your stash?
I use the silicone tools that are for applying face masks DAILY in my art journal - so easy to clean and great for matte medium, acrylic paint, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 6 users liked this post by UnderstandBlue:
hoptownracer1 (10-25-2021), janesprando (10-27-2021), pvicek (10-27-2021), Scrapjanny (10-25-2021), shirlb19 (10-30-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 07:20 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

I use the same glue in the small bottles with the fine tips except I thin it down a bit with water. I also keep a straight pin in the tip.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by basketdiva:
hoptownracer1 (10-25-2021), pvicek (10-27-2021), Scrapjanny (10-25-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 08:32 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Nail art supplies generally - a good source of affordable and useful stuff. I’ve used nail art gems for years as a bit of subtle bling (I remember the first card I did it on, I just looked it up and it was 2007!). You get hundreds of gems in one of those wheel things and I bet you can find them at the dollar store (the equivalent £1 shops here in the UK have them). A dot of alcohol marker over the top to change or intensify a colour if necessary means I’ve never been short of the right gem! I have tiny flat back pearls too (also nail art supplies).

It probably got a bit long but the old “ways to make do instead of buy new” thread had some excellent ideas that would fit your criteria.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 7 users liked this post by Angelnorth:
Bohodiva (10-27-2021), hoptownracer1 (10-25-2021), janesprando (10-27-2021), kazeka (11-01-2021), Kendel (10-27-2021), lylacfey (10-25-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 10:52 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 658 Likes on 407 Posts

Instead of buying a craft celebrity's super-expensive craft mat I went to the kitchen place and bought the exact same thing (baking tin liner) for half the price! This may not be as cost-effective in the US, but shipping to the ends of the earth kills a lot of things (like a craft celebrity's craft mat :-) ).
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 6 users liked this post by Renata Joyner:
hoptownracer1 (10-27-2021), janesprando (10-27-2021), Kendel (10-27-2021), mshatzma (10-27-2021), Scrapjanny (10-27-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 01:53 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Oh, I try the do-it-yourself things before buying. That stuff can be very expensive. Recently I've found at the Dollar Store rubber face scrubs. They are extremely soft and have kind of a suction thing on the back to help you hold on to it. Well, this thing works really well for cleaning my brushes. I originally purchased a pack with two small ones, but recently found a pack with a large and small. I use them both. I use other household things to clean my brushes. I use cut up cloths to clean my stamps with a diluted water and shampoo mix. I use baby powder for all my intricate dies and also use it on the paper and the plates. Makes everything come off so easily. Also use it for heat embossing. Cuts down the static. I love using the fine tip bottles for my glue, but have had trouble with some because I have to squeeze too hard and it hurts my hands. I've tried a lot of them. I finally found some that work for my card group as they, too, have hand problems. My most favorite is the bottle from Art Glitter glue. I love the glue and the top works so great. I better stop now, otherwise this will turn into a small book. God bless everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 12 users liked this post by romomz:
Bohodiva (10-27-2021), browpr (10-27-2021), harrahx2 (10-27-2021), hoptownracer1 (10-27-2021), janesprando (10-27-2021), Kristy Tyra (10-27-2021), lylacfey (10-27-2021), pressed4time (10-27-2021), Renata Joyner (10-26-2021), Scrapjanny (10-27-2021), Valeriesc (10-26-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 01:06 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

romomz- What is this glue bottle you found? I perked up like a bloodhound when you wrote that! I have a lot of issues with my hands and glue bottles.

I will share some frugal tips & tricks. Just give me a couple of days. If you ladies want anything specific let me know because I have something. I can't think right now, understandably. I have lots of detailed notes on anything frugality and crafting. It's one of my favorite subjects.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by lylacfey:
hoptownracer1 (10-27-2021), Kristy Tyra (10-27-2021), TLady (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 02:17 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

All of my blending tools are working “out of class” (that is, not being used for their intended purpose). I know everyone uses make-up wedges for blending and I do, too. They’re cheap, reusable and replaceable. They work well, too.
my blending brushes are chinzy 1.5” wide, natural bristle “chip” brushes with wooden handles from the craft paint department. I think they are intended to be tossed, rather than cleaned. I have one designated for each main color group-just wrote the label on the handles in marker. After a few years of use, the bristles started breaking here and there. I used my exacto knife, and cut all the bristles down to about 2 inches, and the work even better, because the’re stiffer. They give a grainy, textured blend, which I like.
Empty tea and cookie tins are standard small storage containers. Gee! I have a dishpan full or others I will have to give away soon. They need a purpose!
Disposable surgical scissors and tweezers, nabbed when my kid was in the hospital, have been serving me well for years.
A school had a big stack of laminated placemats that no one was claiming. I brought a few home. They make outstanding craft mats for gluing and stamp carving.
Old VHS cases with lids hold my carving tools. They work well for organizing all kinds of small craft objects.
My dad’s old indestructable aluminum clip board is perfect for taping my watercolor paper to, when I try to paint.
Gift bags can be a great source of beautiful paper. I have two huge “metalic” laser- dazzle gift bags that came unglued. I finally used part of one to die cut leaves and then dry emboss them. Wahoo! Did those embellishments turn out pretty! I have another bag in mind to cut up for the flowers. Other paper goods and stationery all have potential.
You get the idea.

Last edited by Kendel; 10-27-2021 at 02:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 7 users liked this post by Kendel:
Bohodiva (10-27-2021), harrahx2 (10-27-2021), hoptownracer1 (10-27-2021), Jannarama (10-30-2021), Kristy Tyra (10-27-2021), lylacfey (10-27-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 03:12 AM   #10  
Glitter Queen

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I also use baby powder to dry ink after I stamp inside a card or the back of a card. I sprinkle it on the ink and then use a soft brush for excess and your ink is dry and you can close the card right away without it smearing. Like in the olden days, it works great!!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by 2cards:
harrahx2 (10-27-2021), hoptownracer1 (10-27-2021), Kristy Tyra (10-27-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 04:47 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The sturdy cardboard of the new mouse pad is great for crafts area.
The korean makeup sponge in house shape makes nice stamp background.
Gel gloss clear medium add any loose glitter into those small mini jam glass jars.
Empty glass jam jars to hold brushes, color pencils etc ad washi tape or stickers for embellishment.
Bonbon dishes with a lid, crystal/glass cookie jars with lids for storage of embellishments.
I do not have that much ribbons so they fit a nice preserves glass jar.
The big pickle glass jars take bit of work with soda to remove pickles odor but can store lots of things. Empty tea caddy, tea boxes re-use for storage have the Twinings tea box was gift from DD.
Old powder eye shadows, old powder blushers, old powder highlighters instead of pastel pans/pastels. Old make-up brushes used for crafts.
The ikea squares bookcase seen in crafts videos on youtube one can see folks who made these from thick layered cardboard and glue then painted and used for storage.
From my other hobbies use things for cardmaking like my watercolors and smaller pieces watercolor papers for cards, no need to buy those separate from crafts shops.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by Nerys:
hoptownracer1 (10-27-2021), Renata Joyner (10-27-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 05:05 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I use old cookie tins for storage too, empty spice jars for my glitter, kitchen tool caddy for the tools on my desk, make-up brushes, an old clear refrigerator egg holder for supplies, a vase for paint brushes, an old light fixture (looks like a fancy vase) for another paint brush holder, a baking sheet like you have for a craft mat, serving platters to create a top/lid for my cart near my desk & there I can place more things I can get to quickly, my dinning room table for spill over! LOL You ladies are SO MUCH BETTER at this than I!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by TLady:
hoptownracer1 (10-27-2021), Renata Joyner (10-27-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 05:24 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a lot of inspiration for non-plastic storage after finding few years ago Laetitia a french lady on youtube she has home studio where she works and she tells story she too long ago had some plastic but changed to using house things.. I have too many hobbies allready so only making a mini storage rack inspired by her. Her papiermache dollhouses are fantastic to see.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Nerys:
Muchococoa (11-01-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 05:59 AM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

This week I discovered my practically unused bottle of Nuvo glue had a stopped up tip and an inch of brown glue at the top of the bottle. I had inserted a rust-proof pin in the tip of the bottle but it rusted anyway. I really like this glue so I scraped out the brown blob but couldn't get the rusted pin out for love or money. I'd been saving some very old, evaporated Marvy watercolor pens thinking I'd eventually get around to mixing up some kind of refill (procrastination won that battle!).

So, I poured a small amount of Nuvo on a small square of card stock and tried both tips of the old Marvy as a spreader. It worked great! It was quick and easy to do and much better than using a toothpick. I had needed to glue the backs of die-cut alphabet letters so I could put them in our grandson's golf scrapbook. It worked! The old pens are perfect for delicate glue spreading. Just dip in water a couple of times and wipe off and they are good to go for the next time.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by Patinky:
hoptownracer1 (10-27-2021), Stampnnatter (11-01-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 07:30 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Remember the Tic Tac containers? When you empty them, take them into your craft room. I store tiny beads, sequins, jewelry (like jump rings)... all kinds of tiny things. I know you can buy some of that style that are made specifically for crafting, but if you already have these, they are great!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by Kristy Tyra:
Bohodiva (10-27-2021), hoptownracer1 (10-27-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 08:22 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

I also use things around the house for craft storage. My favorite is the silver hinged shell-shaped butter dish with the glass liner that was my mom's. I needed something to store my cleaning shammy (purchased at Harbor Freight in the auto section) when I wasn't using it. I craft in my kitchen so that little dish is on the microwave. It allows air to circulate but hides the shammy.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by marilynmac:
hoptownracer1 (10-27-2021), TLady (10-27-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 09:45 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If your Alene's glue gets too thick, just add a bit of water and stir. Good as new. I put a pin in the tip of my needle nose glue bottle to keep it from getting stopped up.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Hoosier:
hoptownracer1 (10-27-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 09:47 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

i also use a huge silicon baking mat as my craft mat. love that my CS doesn't budge on top since the mat has "grab" and bottom sticks to table. Love that i can fold it up, and it unfolds with no creases. Glue beads up and wipes off. Can go in dishwasher even. And cost me under $10
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by mshatzma:
Bohodiva (10-27-2021), hoptownracer1 (10-27-2021), romomz (10-27-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 11:47 AM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I use the empty 8.t x 11 paper boxes (the kind copy wiper comes in) boxes to store my crafts in, then I took picture’s (I love to garden) of some of my flowers. Printed them on full size photo sheets and pasted them to the front of the boxes. I kept the lid on then just sliced through the picture when the lid was….perfect line up!
A credenza was my moms and she didn’t want it anymore, so I put the boxes on it. The center one was for one of those old huge TVs. So it can support a lot of weight too! I love how colorful it is! I write in very small pencil what is on each box (one is full of Christmas stamps!). Was going to show a photo, but I can’t get it to work!

Last edited by Pampam; 10-27-2021 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Pampam:
hoptownracer1 (10-27-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 11:48 AM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I purchased a dry board eraser which I use on top of my stamp platform to provide even pressure and a good stamp impression. There are a number of these available as craft tools. My option was significantly cheaper and fits in my hand well.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by Nightcrawler:
hoptownracer1 (10-27-2021), romomz (10-27-2021), Stampnnatter (11-01-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 12:55 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Received 862 Likes on 513 Posts
Smile

Wow! I am loving all of these suggestions! I bought one of the dry erasers to use on my stamping platform too; works great! I think I got it for two bucks or so at the Five Below store. I bought two of the bud make-up sponges at a yard sale; didn't matter if they had been used. There wasn't really anything much to speak of on them, so washed them up, and they are ready to use. I just haven't tried them yet with inks or paints yet.
Thank you also for the suggestions about the Aleene's glue! I am almost out of my Art Glitter Glue, but I am going to wash out the bottle, when I am done with it, so I can reuse it! I also trying out a bottle of Bearly Art glue that I had gotten. Not as impressed with the glue itself; shows up glossier on paper than I like, but I LOVE the bottle and tips that come with it. (Aleene's is kind of glossy too, but for the price, I can be more careful or overlook some of it.) I realized that the black cap that came on the Bearly Art glue fits on my Art Glitter Glue bottle, which I love. So I can remove the metal tip cap each time I use it and try to keep it cleaned out, as that is the one thing I disliked with the Art Glitter glue is that my glue tip stopped up a lot! And I can just keep the green tip on the Bearly Art glue.
Anyway, I am loving all of your tips and suggestions! I remembered there had been a post about it before, but I couldn't remember the name of it, so thank you for sharing the link!

Last edited by hoptownracer1; 10-27-2021 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: forgot word
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 05:06 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Great ideas! I use the inexpensive blender sponge "buds" and the small yellow sponges cut into quarters to lightly apply ink to my cardstock. The mini buds actually fit in the finger dauber case that I have. I buy them on Amazon, and they're very inexpensive.
what are the “blender sponge “buds”? I have not heard this term before. (Or maybe I have and just don’t recognize it!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2021, 05:21 PM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

Ooh! That's a good idea using the Marvy pens. Unfortunately, I keep throwing away my dried out pens. Will have to keep one to try it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by romomz:
hoptownracer1 (10-29-2021), Patinky (10-29-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 05:23 PM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

I had a problem with the non-rust pins. Finally decided to spend a little more money and bought the stainless steel pins. Work wonderfully!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by romomz:
hoptownracer1 (10-29-2021), Patinky (10-29-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 05:24 PM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm all for recycling. I watch videos about that. Learned a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
hoptownracer1 (10-29-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 05:30 PM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

Oh! I'm not too sure now. It's been a while. It's a little bigger than the ones I found on Amazon which have the tiny metal tip. I found those to clog so easily, no matter what, and they were really hard to squeeze.

The ones I refer to have the screw on plastic tip that needs to be cut to get to open the hole. It's a really long, thin cone shape. The hole is the right size to put a pin in and it doesn't clog. It may not be as precise as the metal tips, but in the long run, it works just as good without the discomfort. If I find the info on it, I will post it here.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by romomz:
hoptownracer1 (10-29-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 08:32 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Lately I've been using Gorilla Household Glue which I transfer to fine tip bottles. I also add a little bit of water to thin it down.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Bohodiva:
Old 10-28-2021, 12:01 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by romomzView Post
Ooh! That's a good idea using the Marvy pens. Unfortunately, I keep throwing away my dried out pens. Will have to keep one to try it. Thanks.
You can refill your brush pens. Here's the recipe-
1 Tbs Water
1 Tbs Glycerin
1 tsp Gum Arabic

Mix all together. I remove the brush tip with my fingers. You can wear gloves if you have a lot to refill. If I just have a few I use a paper towel.
Then using an eye dropper add 2-3 drops of "refill recipe" into the barrel of your marker. Put the brush tip gently back in. If your marker is really dry you can add more like seven drops. Let set overnight and your marker will be perfect again.

I have been doing this for years and my markers are like new. Lindsay of the Frugal Crafter made a video showing how to do this using my recipe, if that helps any.

If you don't have Gum Arabic you can leave it out. I love it because it gives it some "Distress Ink" properties and a really nice blend-ability. It can add a bit of shine, but my recipe it is not noticeable. Gum Arabic usually add some shine & I wanted to add that note in case it would be helpful to some of you.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by lylacfey:
gammawly (11-03-2021), hoptownracer1 (10-29-2021), Patinky (10-29-2021), Renata Joyner (10-28-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 04:59 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by janesprandoView Post
what are the “blender sponge “buds”? I have not heard this term before. (Or maybe I have and just don’t recognize it!)
They're just makeup sponges. Here's a link: Makeup sponges
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Scrapjanny:
Old 10-29-2021, 12:59 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Everyone I know some of these are oldies but goodies. We have new members who are just learning so I want to include them. I am going to be breaking this up so I won't keep having books over here, lol. I will do a few a day. I have tested all of these. Use them in my own artwork. I am taking all of these from my extensive notes. I will also be adding notes to my tips.

Use an empty pen to score cardstock.

Templates-
Make templates in popular punch shapes until you can afford or want the punches. You can use cereal boxes to make the templates. I store mine in a pretty box. I use my templates more than my punches.

Library Ideas for templates-
If your library has die cutting machines you can make templates at the library. Mine use to have a Sizzix machine. I know some libraries have Cricuts. Side Note- If worried about using the libraries blades you can donate a little extra to "blade" cost. Win-Win. You don't have to use your cereal boxes at the library. You can use cardstock or paper. Then come home and trace it out on your boxes or choice template material.

Go through the craft books and look for templates. Take a piece of tracing paper and trace the template or photo copy it. Then you can trace your "copy template" to your cereal box. Note- You can do this on your home printers too. Quilting section at the library is a treasure trove of templates. A lot of paper craft books have templates. Don't write in the book! Bring your tracing paper & trace. Photocopy.

Printer's at home or library-
Print templates, trace on cereal box. This is a great idea because you can resize and even make your own nested shapes. If wanting to make nested shapes download Inkscape and create your own "Nestabilities". If at the library look for an online vector program to do the same thing.

I will stop here. I will do more tomorrow. I included library tips because I know a lot of people don't have access or space for tools a lot of us have. When I was a young poor crafter the library was my go to for building up my "tool" collection that I am still using to this day. I wanted to add "think outside the box" resources for those that need it.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by lylacfey:
ChrisO (10-29-2021), hoptownracer1 (10-29-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 12:14 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

So many good ideas. I use empty food cans, decorated for my brushes and tools, I put them in a vintage metal wire Milk bottle holder. I found it at local antique shop. I also use kitchen tight lid or screw on lid type storage jars for washi tape, ribbons, metal embellishments, you name it. They are less expensive than some craft storage items. I use lots of baskets from the dollar store to organize my craft supply drawers. I am always looking at boxes, bottles, jars, etc. with the thoughts of how could I use that. I keep a small box of such items in the garage. My husband has found them to be handy for his workbench items also. Recycling

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 05:04 PM   #32  
Glitter Queen

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by NerysView Post
I got a lot of inspiration for non-plastic storage after finding few years ago Laetitia a french lady on youtube she has home studio where she works and she tells story she too long ago had some plastic but changed to using house things.. I have too many hobbies allready so only making a mini storage rack inspired by her. Her papiermache dollhouses are fantastic to see.
Loved watching this video of a beautifully creative young woman sharing her studio in France. Adored her accent, the music and the way she dresses, freely and feminine.
Reply With Quote Likes
wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 10:57 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
Nail art supplies generally - a good source of affordable and useful stuff. I’ve used nail art gems for years as a bit of subtle bling (I remember the first card I did it on, I just looked it up and it was 2007!). You get hundreds of gems in one of those wheel things and I bet you can find them at the dollar store (the equivalent £1 shops here in the UK have them). A dot of alcohol marker over the top to change or intensify a colour if necessary means I’ve never been short of the right gem! I have tiny flat back pearls too (also nail art supplies).

It probably got a bit long but the old “ways to make do instead of buy new” thread had some excellent ideas that would fit your criteria.
I've never bought (or even looked at) nail art supplies, but am never able to find really tiny gems for my cards so it sounds like I need to start looking in the nail art section of the stores!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by kazeka:
Angelnorth (11-02-2021), wavejumper (11-03-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 08:07 AM   #34  
Glitter Queen

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Love

Thank you for sharing.

Last edited by Muchococoa; 11-02-2021 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: Redundant
Reply With Quote Likes