Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-28-2018, 08:08 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Location: Foxhome, MN/The middle of nowhere. We are surrounded by farm land and no neighbors within 3 miles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question acrylic stamps

Hi. Just getting back into stamping. I have some acrylic stamps that I would like to try but don't know how to use them. Do I need to be a base for them? All of my stamps were wooden before. Oh...and best kind or place to buy?
Sue

Last edited by suemel; 10-28-2018 at 08:12 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2018, 08:11 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Welcome back Sue.........yes, you will need an acrylic block to mount them onto in order to use them. They come in many different sizes and you might want to start with one that fits your largest stamp for now and kind of get a feel for things before investing in a size for every stamp. Hope this helps.........Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2018, 11:15 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Welcome back! Just to clarify a tiny bit: you will not be permanently mounting the stamp to the acrylic block - you peel it off after you clean it and put it back on the carrier sheet, then move on to another one - so you don't need a block for every stamp. Before I got my MISTI I had a collection of Close to My Heart blocks (still have the most-used ones, just in case) and liked them a lot. I haven't really tried any others.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2018, 03:04 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

And there are some inexpensive alternatives to acrylic blocks. Honestly I don't use mine anymore, I stick to a CD case which offers the same utility as a MISTI - stamp positioning / restamping perfectly. Dollar store also sometimes has acrylic stamp blocks, but anything clear, flat, rigid and smooth will work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2018, 01:56 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

You can find them at Hobby Lobby or Michael's and use a coupon. Be sure to get some that are big enough for your stamps, but not so big you can't grip them. I still use them sometimes even though I have a MISTI and Holtz platform.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2018, 07:12 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

SueMel, it might be worth your time and energy to invest in a MISTI. It will pay off with less frustration. It's been a game changer for me since I often need to stamp more than once to get the correct color I had in mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2018, 08:07 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I definitely recommend a MISTI or a Tim Holtz Stamping Platform (for cardmakers the travel platform is plenty big enough) and confess I like the latter better...just a personal preference.

For some things, though, I do still use blocks and I have a range of them on my desk. For sentiments, I like the ones with lines on them - makes it easiest to line up straight. I also like the ones with a curved edge for comfort. My go to best feel blocks are from Stampin' Up, but they are pretty pricey. You can find comfy blocks for less. There are lots to choose from. Enjoy finding out what works best for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2018, 03:37 AM   #8  
djc
Kookie Creator

You asked what kind to buy. I would recommend that you look for stamps made of photopolymer. I think that anything made in the USA or UK will be photopolymer. They stamp better and last much, much longer than other clear stamps.

Don't be worried if they stain. Just clean them off as you would normally, and they still stamp fine.

Daria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2018, 03:44 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I would recommend that you avoid fiskars stamps... purchased s small floral set at Joanne’s and I cannot get them to stamp well at all. (Have tried all the conditioning tips shared previously.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
I would recommend that you avoid fiskars stamps... purchased s small floral set at Joanne’s and I cannot get them to stamp well at all. (Have tried all the conditioning tips shared previously.)

What kind of quality problem are you having exactly? I've picked up lots of Fiskars stamps (both clear and rubber) and they've all stamped fine for me. Granted they're all probably older ones since I don't buy stamps first-hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2018, 12:49 PM   #11  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmbriView Post
What kind of quality problem are you having exactly? I've picked up lots of Fiskars stamps (both clear and rubber) and they've all stamped fine for me. Granted they're all probably older ones since I don't buy stamps first-hand.
I'm having trouble with Concord & 9th clear stamps. There is a strong odor, says made in USA but can't get a clean and clear image at all. I've tried versamark, the rubber eraser, cleaned with soap and water, still not a good impression. The company doesn't respond.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
March 2014 Swapper of the Month

Received 1,033 Likes on 780 Posts

I hated acrylic stamps until a got a stamp cleaning shammy. I always had little bits of microscopic fluff stuck to the stamps that would prevent a clean image, and now I don’t!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #13  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry sermanView Post
I hated acrylic stamps until a got a stamp cleaning shammy. I always had little bits of microscopic fluff stuck to the stamps that would prevent a clean image, and now I don’t!
Did you clean them with shammy when you first got them before stamping?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
March 2014 Swapper of the Month

Received 1,033 Likes on 780 Posts

I used to use a wet washcloth or the SU stamp cleaning pad and always got fuzzies. Now I just use a wet shammy. I do wipe the stamp on the shammy if it’s the first time I’m using it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshine2View Post
I'm having trouble with Concord & 9th clear stamps. There is a strong odor, says made in USA but can't get a clean and clear image at all. I've tried versamark, the rubber eraser, cleaned with soap and water, still not a good impression. The company doesn't respond.

Wow! I always do well with Concord and 9th stamps - not doubting your word, mind you, just sharing my experience. They do have a 30 day exchange policy, so it looks like you can send it back to them and they'll exchange it for you.

Even if it's beyond the 30 day, I'm guessing you could at least try that. Send a couple of the impressions you've been getting along with to show why you are unhappy with this stamp, and that should give them enough information to either exchange or refund your money anyway.

I'm always of the opinion that "those who ask get more often than those who don't" so at least it is worth a try. Good luck.

Joni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2018, 04:26 PM   #16  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry sermanView Post
I used to use a wet washcloth or the SU stamp cleaning pad and always got fuzzies. Now I just use a wet shammy. I do wipe the stamp on the shammy if it’s the first time I’m using it.
Thanks I'll give it a try with the rest in the set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #17  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by joniworxView Post
Wow! I always do well with Concord and 9th stamps - not doubting your word, mind you, just sharing my experience. They do have a 30 day exchange policy, so it looks like you can send it back to them and they'll exchange it for you.

Even if it's beyond the 30 day, I'm guessing you could at least try that. Send a couple of the impressions you've been getting along with to show why you are unhappy with this stamp, and that should give them enough information to either exchange or refund your money anyway.

I'm always of the opinion that "those who ask get more often than those who don't" so at least it is worth a try. Good luck.

Joni
Thanks for your advice. I can't find a phone number but I sent an email and fb messenger. I've just never had issues with any clear stamps until these and it's 2 sets. They were difficult to remove from the backing and are extremely sticky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Sounds like your stamps either weren't fully washed during the manufacturing process, or someone undercooked the batch. The raw material for photopolymer stamps is *ultra* sticky, like worse than glucose syrup sticky, and if it's not fully cured, that leads to significant problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2018, 03:48 AM   #19  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Sounds like your stamps either weren't fully washed during the manufacturing process, or someone undercooked the batch. The raw material for photopolymer stamps is *ultra* sticky, like worse than glucose syrup sticky, and if it's not fully cured, that leads to significant problems.
Interesting! I'm sure that may be what it is. I've never in 12 years of stamping with rubber and clear have seen anything like it. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #20  
Inking Addict

Thanks for advice about stamps. Concord and 9th contacted me today and are sending replacement stamps. They felt it was the cooking process that made it tacky and will investigate when they get the stamps back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Glad to hear you're getting good customer service. The 'cooking' time (to be accurate, it's actually UV exposure time) is down-to-the-second critical during photopolymer stamp production. Too little or too much and you end up with a very expensive but useless chunk of plastic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #22  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Glad to hear you're getting good customer service. The 'cooking' time (to be accurate, it's actually UV exposure time) is down-to-the-second critical during photopolymer stamp production. Too little or too much and you end up with a very expensive but useless chunk of plastic.
Yes you're right, he explained that to me. I know rubber stamps are cooked! Thx for your help and advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2018, 09:02 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Received 860 Likes on 513 Posts

DER! I posted a response in the wrong thread! Yeesh!

Last edited by hoptownracer1; 11-17-2018 at 07:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes