Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-28-2019, 06:08 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default “You should SELL this stuff...” ( a small rant)

I get comments from family and friends all the time. “You’re so creative! You should sell this stuff”! Doesn’t matter if it’s cards or mixed media home decor pieces. If I post pics on Facebook I get these kind of comments. Even the people I consider casual acquaintances say stuff like this. Right up until I put a price on something. Then it’s “crickets”. A2 cards I usually price at $3, if it’s 5x7 with layers and embossing it’s $5.
I just posted a picture of a mixed media Home Decor piece in the Anything But a Card gallery today.
I had been posting progress pics on Facebook and getting all kinds of positive feedback. I put a price of $25 on it and all my “admirers” disappear.
It’s just frustrating. I’m not trying to make a living off this stuff. Just trying to get a reasonable price for materials and a little bit of my time. I make far more than I could use myself. There are a few very good friends who I make things for if the mood strikes, and I happily give it away for free. Everyone is “thrilled” to get something for free!
It’s difficult to put myself “out there” anyway. Only felt brave enough because of all the encouraging comments I received. So annoying!
Rant over....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2019, 11:27 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

It is very frustrating, to be sure. I looked at your piece and it's easily worth $25, in my opinion. One of my cousins wanted to buy some affirmation card sets to give as graduation gifts (I'd made each of my cousins a set, which I gave them at our reunion) until I gave her the price. I had invested in 60 stamps/sets*, plus the cardstock, plus made a box with patterned cardstock using my punch board. Even doing them assembly-line fashion it averaged out to about an hour per set. Not doing that for free for people I don't know and love, sorry...

*Not all at once, but over a period of time. Face of cards were Angie girls from Unity, reverse was an encouraging/inspirational sentiment...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2019, 12:55 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Completely agree with this. The trouble is, those that don't craft have no idea of the cost of supplies, nor the work that goes into them, nor the many hours that can be involved. Cards, especially are pretty much impossible to sell at a price that comes close to covering all those costs. yet, people will happily pay stupid money for a store bought version!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2019, 02:27 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

Sad and true...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2019, 03:50 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Oh, I hear you. The same thing happens to me. I've had an Etsy shop for years now, and not one friend or family member has ever bought one piece of jewelry or a card. I post on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest to let them know when I have new items. But they buy from strangers selling the same things. I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2019, 04:17 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 585 Likes on 240 Posts

The people who don't want to buy what you are asking for your work need to go to some galleries and art fairs and discover what people who make a living at it charge -- and get -- for their work. Your friends and fans probably think you do it all just for fun and don't care about the money. They also need to realize that art is art and you need to compensate the artist for their work, even if it "just" a hobby and not a lively hood. My rant is over now.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2019, 04:48 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was into jewelry making before I discovered papercrafts. I made for myself and sometimes a friend or co-worker-friend would ask me to make them something. Since they were friends I only charged them for the materials, not my time. For one I did her wedding jewelry to include her bridesmaids, I only charged her for the bridesmaids and gave her the wedding set as her gift. Other people in the office would ooh and ahh over the stuff I wore and tell me I should sell it at the office that they would buy. I'm sure you see where this is going. I made a bunch of stuff, showed it to all those people, and they responded with 'oh that's nice'. That's it. This was about 10 years ago; I now have a 2-gallon sized ziplock bag of tarnished jewelry in a closet somewhere.

When I got into cardmaking, I learned from that experience and only made and gave handmade cards to those I knew would appreciate it. I gave a co-worker-friend (a fellow card maker) an intricate, interactive Halloween card and another co-worker saw it. I got the 'oh you should sell these' speech. I asked her to be honest and tell me what she would pay for it. She thought about it and said $3. My friend and I laughed and laughed and laughed.

Last year another co-worker decided to retire. She was looking for something to do to keep busy. She liked the cards I made and asked me where I buy the parts and if they came with instructions. I explained I didn't buy kits and explained the process to her. her eyes glazed over and she said forget it. She honestly thought I bought ALL the pieces pre-made, followed template instructions, and slapped them together. I didn't know if I should be insulted or pity her ignorance, lol.

Agree with Shaz, they have NO clue about the work and time that goes into our creations, whatever the type of craft. When I explain the various processes to people they can't believe I spend that much time and effort and ask why don't I just buy stuff pre-made. Those, obviously, are the people that don't get anything handmade from me.

So, I do get frustrated when people tell me I should sell. Most of the time I just smile, say maybe, and let it go because I know they really just don't get it. But sometimes, depending on the person, I will immediately respond with "oh, you want to buy this?" and give them the price just for the entertainment value of seeing the look of horror then embarrassment on their faces as they stutter 'no, I didn't mean me'.

I do hope to sell some crafts just for a self-funding hobby when I do retire but I'm figuring my sewing projects will be the money makers over the cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2019, 04:52 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Oh, But they buy from strangers selling the same things. I don't get it.
This boggles my mind. I don't know what to say except I'm sorry they do this to you.

{hugs}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2019, 07:28 AM   #9  

Received 838 Likes on 277 Posts

Quote:

Oh, I hear you. The same thing happens to me. I've had an Etsy shop for years now, and not one friend or family member has ever bought one piece of jewelry or a card. I post on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest to let them know when I have new items. But they buy from strangers selling the same things. I don't get it.
This! My biggest fans are my sisters. Until it's time to actually purchase something. Most of my sales have definitely come from strangers. I've been an SU demo for almost 13 years and one of my sisters who is also a paper crafter has never ever purchased any supplies from me. She goes to paper crafting expos though and spends 100's of dollars. It used to annoy me but I had to let it go.
On a good note though, I just created an FB group to supplement my business page and she joined the group and even responded to a poll asking what kinds of crafts my "groupies" would like to see shared/learn how to do. There is always hope 😂
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

My family enjoys my cards I make and send them. They often in the past told me I should sell my cards at craft fairs and such. I just don't have that in me, all the prep and then the rent expense.

I did get once from a family member that I must have to much time on my hands to make cards.

I do enjoy making cards, when health issues allow for crafting. But It is just for my pleasure and I have whittled down in the past years who get hand made cards and who gets store bought cards, And who gets no cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2019, 02:59 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaddictView Post
This! My biggest fans are my sisters. Until it's time to actually purchase something. Most of my sales have definitely come from strangers. I've been an SU demo for almost 13 years and one of my sisters who is also a paper crafter has never ever purchased any supplies from me. She goes to paper crafting expos though and spends 100's of dollars. It used to annoy me but I had to let it go.
On a good note though, I just created an FB group to supplement my business page and she joined the group and even responded to a poll asking what kinds of crafts my "groupies" would like to see shared/learn how to do. There is always hope � ����
I'm glad you mentioned this. My sister sells makeup for a direct sales company, and I have bought literally hundreds of dollars' worth of products from her to support her. To make matters worse, she posts on Facebook links to the woman she buys her jewelry from. When I sold PartyLite candles, she had a party and bought a few things. That was the only time she ever made a purchase, and I was a consultant for 2 years.

Lately I've realized that I have to be direct with her. I'm going to visit her next month so that we can make plans for my mother to go into assisted living. I'm going to bring my jewelry and cards, and show her what I'm selling, the same way she brings makeup to my house - or has a makeup show in the middle of her granddaughter's birthday party. I'm also going to give her some of my business cards and ask her to give them out.

Support should work both ways.

(Sorry. I didn't mean to hijack the OP.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2019, 05:04 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Amen to everything in this thread. Many years ago I tried my hand at cake decorating just for fun and for family. I went through all the classes and actually got pretty good at it. Once other people found out you would be surprised how many parties I got invited to....with the added " And you can bring the cake." Not "we want to pay for a cake" but "we really don't know you, but will put up with your presence if you provide a free custom cake creation."
Once I started turning down all blatant "free cake" invitations I don't get invited anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2019, 06:20 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

So very sad and true at the same time.

I used to make & sell jewelry and everyone loved the pieces until I would price them. I also freelanced in web design and it was the same story there. If I'm going to put in 40 hours on your website, I want to be compensated to reflect that. But once I would give someone a quote, they would respond with "well, my nephew has made a couple websites, maybe I'll just have him making something up."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2019, 06:44 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by August29View Post
Amen to everything in this thread. Many years ago I tried my hand at cake decorating just for fun and for family. I went through all the classes and actually got pretty good at it. Once other people found out you would be surprised how many parties I got invited to....with the added " And you can bring the cake." Not "we want to pay for a cake" but "we really don't know you, but will put up with your presence if you provide a free custom cake creation."
Once I started turning down all blatant "free cake" invitations I don't get invited anymore.
Amazing how shameless some people can be, isn't it? We used to have "friends" that invited us to their home periodically. They were, we thought, good friends for some time. At some point they started asking me to bring along my sewing machine, or my husband to bring this tool or that tool (he's in construction and very handy). It took awhile to catch on, but eventually we started declining the invitations - especially since they always declined ours. Friendship should be reciprocal, I'm thinking...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2019, 06:46 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

What the...?! A.ma.zing... Can't even find words...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2019, 07:10 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you to everyone sharing on this thread. I, also, have been told that I should sell my cards. I usually just say no, and all the responses here really settle the issue for me.

One time, my SIL purchased some home made cards as a gift for my MIL and asked if I should sell my cards. I showed her how these cards were mostly color copies with some simple embellishments and it was really an ingenious way to create cards quickly. I shared that my cards are one of a kind and take a long time, and there is no way I could have fun and make money doing it. She did seem to understand.

I send card sets as gifts to family, out of the blue, sometimes. Once, the family member sent me a check for $50 as a payment. Even though I had hoped it was a gift. Honestly, that would have been a fair payment for my time, but I was gratified by the gesture and the fact that she used them!

As an aside, I think that often, people decide that I have too much stuff, or spend too much time on this hobby and that I should justify it by selling stuff. People don’t value hobbies as much as they used to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by howdyheidiView Post
As an aside, I think that often, people decide that I have too much stuff, or spend too much time on this hobby and that I should justify it by selling stuff. People don’t value hobbies as much as they used to.
It seems that the devaluation of "hobbies" is largely restricted to hobbies in the "craft" realm. I've never heard anyone suggesting that golfers or bowlers or woodworkers or guys who restore cars (or build model cars, for that matter) have "too much stuff or too much time" on their hands.

On a related note, builders - especially masons - were once considered artists and their trade was a carefully guarded insider-only craft. Now they are largely dismissed as 'laborers' and nobody really gives them their due. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really, really over the whole mindset of the supposed "superiority" of work done with one's mind over that done with one's hands - both are equally important to keep the world moving along...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2019, 01:24 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I have heard the you should sell this from my MIL. It actually makes me angry. I created something special just for you and you see some kind of monetary value rather than oh this is nice. My husband constantly teases me about it and usually adds the you should sell this comment just to get me riled. It is now our personal joke. I haven't made my MIL anything in years.

I also have an aunt who quilts and subtly puts down my paper crafting. Is it because fabric lasts longer than paper? Is it because a quilt is practical and a card is not? Can't both items bring joy to people?

I have been given many flattering comments on my cards, and frequently people comment that they are touched that I personalized it just for them or perhaps for their loved one in a sympathy card. I take joy in the creating but the kind comments also really feel nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2019, 03:01 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by August29View Post

I know one end of my camera from the other... (so does hubs) :mrgreen:
so for many years we were invited to everything under the sun in his family and the end of the invitation was always.

"You're gonna bring your camera right?"

so, I grinned and rolled my eyes on your behalf reading this post.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2019, 03:09 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

well, I do sell cards. I have some at work all the time and I used to sell them online but, that is a whole different ball game so, now once a year I do a booth in a schools fundraiser event in my neighborhood. I make them a basket for their raffle that they use to raise funds for the school and so, its a donation but, it also draws people who bought tickets into the booth.

I have also sold them at ren faires as a small side part of someone else's booth and at that type of a venue where the things are handmade and the customers are there to appreciate that, I tend to get people who pay me more than what I would ask for the same card where I live.

and when I sold them online, they went for more money. I think it always comes down to the people you are selling to.

I do not sell to my family, they do not ask. ( I have convinced most of them they can make their own and most of them own inks and stamps and cardstocks now)

( I used to teach in some scrapbooking stores here but, I have never gone the demo route. (I like too many companies products)

I have sold them to my friends. it felt strange at first but, they wanted to buy them.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2019, 03:12 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

PS here is a thread where people talk about what they are making to sell inside this site if anyone wants to give it a go and is looking for tips or advice.

Craft Sale Best Sellers - Ideas and Discussion - Splitcoaststampers

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2019, 11:47 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

This thread breaks my heart. Yes, I have heard it from strangers or people that are not close to me and really toxic people that really don't need to be in my life. My inner circle would never ever say that to me. They are very protective of my art. Only two of us in my group are super creative. My friends think that is beautiful and celebrate it.

Sue- I went through that too the take, take, take couple. They went Bye, Bye, Bye. I think Mason's are artisans. It does make me sad that masonry is a dying art.

Ladies you just need to be as rude as them. Hey, they started it. ! Next time they say you should sell this stuff. You should tell them they should sell golf lessons, give free surgery, become a Netflix binge watching critic, sell their flowers, etc...

People who say things like that it is belittling and abusive. I know that some mean well and think you really do have talent and it should be encouraged and their words are meant to be encouraging but we hear it so much it sounds like criticism yet again. For the most part I noticed people say those things because they feel bad about themselves and are jealous.

Most important- Scratch their name off your card list. They went to the Dollar Tree bin. Not even that because Dollar Tree is getting the cutest cards in.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2019, 02:55 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

My standard reply to someone who tells me I should sell my cards is, "You can't afford to buy my cards!" I do follow that up with a smile. People who don't create seldom understand the time, resources and creativity involved.

The close friends who receive packs of cards as gifts encourage and uplift me. And they are always astonished at how long it takes me to create each card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2019, 03:15 PM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I've always taken it as a compliment when told I should sell my stuff. But I've also replied that if I HAVE to make them it wouldn't be fun anymore! They usually understand that. I make cards and projects a lot and any leftovers I put in a box at church to be used. Each week I check to see what occasion I'm low on and try to base my challenge creations around that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2019, 07:25 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covington CrafterView Post
My standard reply to someone who tells me I should sell my cards is, "You can't afford to buy my cards!" I do follow that up with a smile. People who don't create seldom understand the time, resources and creativity involved.
The close friends who receive packs of cards as gifts encourage and uplift me. And they are always astonished at how long it takes me to create each card.
I've had coworkers express an interest in buying some of my cards. I always just smiled and said that I don't sell them. But inside, I was always thinking, "You can't afford them." LOL
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

You know, I had someone ask me about a quilted jacket I was wearing one time. It is flannel and chenille and built over a sweatshirt. I get lots of compliments on it, and one time I had one of the baristas ask me how much I would charge to make one for her. After figuring materials (fabric at $12 to $20 per yard) and my time (even cheap labor at $10 per hour), it would have to be over $300. Yikes!

I don't sell my cards because most people would consider them to be too expensive. That's even with store-bought being pretty pricey. Truthfully, at cheap labor costs, $5 each for a handmade card...we'd have to make the card in a half hour or less.

That's real life, though.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2019, 08:21 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am told the same thing. Oh Laurie, you should sell your cards. Then I say I am hard pressed to get someone to pay more than $1 for my cards. I haven't uploaded to my gallery here in years. My cards are MUCH better now, Regardless, it isn't worth it to try to sell them in my opinion. I do donate a lot of cards to local nursing homes. However, people do not understand the time, thought, love and supplies that go into making our cards!
Laurie's Cards & Ramblings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2019, 09:19 AM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I agree with you all! As a crafter I have come to accept the fact that I will never be paid for my labor. I know, I know we should factor in our time when coming up with a selling price but by doing so my items will never sell.
I enjoy what I do.
In the Fall I participate in our community craft fair with no expectation of making any grand sells. If I make some sells, great! If not, I have gifts to give out during the holidays and throughout the year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2019, 09:43 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

The funny thing is that a lot of cards in the stores, especially handmade looking ones, are $6 or more. So there are a lot of people that will pay that much for a store bought card made in a factory in China. But they won't buy a handmade card for the same price or lower.
I do lots of different crafts. I've sewn my own bags, crocheted my favorite finger-less mittens ever, etc. And I've given cards to people. I've heard that same "you should sell this stuff" line. Really?! I work full time and support myself. When in the world do they think I would have time? I barely have the time to make my own stuff. Especially since I bought a house 4 years ago. People say stuff without really using their brains. And yes, people expect to pay Wal-mart prices for something hand-made. They just don't get the fact that your hand made item doesn't have a "made in China" sticker for a reason. Honestly, it is just insulting for someone to say, "oh that is really awesome, but I can't pay you for your time." Which is really what people are saying. Ugh! Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now. ;)

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2019, 09:50 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not just crafts that friends and family don't want to pay for. I'm a decorator and it's amazing how many of my near and dear don't come to me and respect my advice. Meanwhile, I am treated like a guru in very high end residences. As far as cards go, I only donate. But it gets me thinking...if we want to sell this type of art; perhaps we should do it and frame it! Then they are looking at ORIGINAL wall art and then people would be comparing to merchandise priced more in the target price ranges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #31  
Glitter Queen

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I am soooo glad I read" You should sell this stuff" I have only one friend that buys holiday cards from me. My family does not. Strangers from time to time ask to purchase them. I had to laugh, but, my feelings were kind of hurt when my Son picked me up to go to his girlfriends family birthday party. On the way there he said he had to make a quick stop at a drug store. What did he buy....yep a birthday card a cheap one like the 99 cent sells. I may have had 20-30 of them at home. I said, "Why didn't you ask me for a card, I'd give you one?" He slaped his forehead and said he forgot I made them. Each year I send he and his girlfriend and my grandkids, cards for various occasions and he says he never throws them away because he cherishes them. I have found a way to celebrate occasions when I'm not in the mood to make a good card. I joined Lawson's e-cards for $14 a year. I have been sending them to folks I never would send cards to as well as family. They love them, plus they can reply back with a message. Bottom Line, I make cards and if a repair person or whomever, comes in they see my extensive workroom and often purchase cards. I also take Xmas cards to my favorite restaurants an ask the owner if any of the employees are interested in Xmas cards. One Xmas I sold about 40 cards in an hour. It doesn't hurt to ask. Paying money to sit in a craft fair was so disappointing, people asked me how I make my cards and then say they will go home and try it. I just made enough to pay the booth fee.
That's all she wrote:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2019, 10:47 AM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I've sold cards at independent hair and nail salon owners. The owner will purchase a dozen or so and pay me for them. They will turn around and re-price them to sell in their shops.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2019, 10:53 AM   #33  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

I have only ever had one person who understood the time & effort making special cards takes. When she commisions me to make a card, I go all out because I know she "gets" it. I let her pay me whatever she wants to, and since she is generous, I often make more than one card, for her to choose from. If you go to my gallery, look at the cards Naval Aviator, Flyboy, Fly Navy I, Fly Navy II, and the piece de resistance- Evan's Wings, Evan's Wings inside, and Evan's Wings fully open. link:

contrapat Member Gallery - Page 1 - Splitcoaststampers.com

I made those for her son's earning his naval aviator wings. I had several months to think and work, due to some delays and setbacks he had in the program. I am shamelessly proud of Evan's Wings. That card is magnificent. It's a three panel card, each panel is 5 1/2 X 8 1/2 inches. It took some engineering to make it work, having to shave a minute amount off to make the folds lay flat. Yes, I did some searching and printing to get images and sentiments, and to find proper Naval Aviator wings. I experimented and foiled, and played, and along the way came up with the other 4 cards, which I made her take to let other family members use for the occasion. This special woman has paid me $40, regardless of if it's one card or 5. Even is she's short of money, she's never given me less than $20 for a card. She says they are ART, and you pay a proper price for ART! The citizenship cards were done for her son's girlfriend when she got her American citizenship. (Like an idiot, I didn't get photos of the wedding cards I made for their wedding! Bad Pat!)
When someone (and it's really, really rare) gets it, it makes me want to really create something special for them.

But, yeah. Other than this one friend, the most anyone has ever offered me for a card was $5. Isn't it bittersweet that they'll pay $10 for Hallmark?

I have a stamp that I use on almost every card back- it's the word Hallmark, with the circle and slash over it. Love that stamp, love it, love it, love it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #34  
Glitter Queen

I agree with everything in the original post. But, Cobby, you should charge more for what you make. You’re devaluing yourself. A store bought card is gonna cost at least $5 and it isn’t original or unique.
I’ve only sold a few cards - they were a request. Most cards I give to family, friends or as a fundraiser. If I sell it a minimum of $5/card or it just isn’t worth it to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2019, 12:19 PM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

My mom used to criticize me for doing Papercrafting vs sewing. Sewing is useful etc. I used to be into sewing a lot and she has like 10 machines and LOVES it. But now she is into papercrafting. Funny, she hasn’t criticized me in a long time.

I sell a few cards at hubby’s work and they are on average $5. But I only make Cards to give to my sister and BFF. I give them cards from me but also cards to give to others. Both love them and my BFF has even Framed a few.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2019, 06:58 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

When someone tells me I should sell my cards, I tell them "Once I take money, it's called a job". I do give lots of them away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2019, 01:31 PM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Default You've inspired me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaurieRView Post
...I do donate a lot of cards to local nursing homes. However, people do not understand the time, thought, love and supplies that go into making our cards!
That's it! You've inspired me! I love making cards and altered art yet I haven't had success at selling much. I even paired my cards with chocolate dipped treats...both of a very high quality.
I think that donating my cards to nursing homes and lodges is a great way to indulge my crafting impulses AND make other lives a little brighter at the same time! I'd much rather give to someone who really appreciates it than try to sell to someone who won't try to see the value. mini-rant over
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2019, 06:26 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Completely agree that people don't understand how long these cards can take to make. I used to make and sell personalised cards, weddings/birthdays, at work. Lost count of how many times I'd be asked' can you do it for tomorrow?'. The answer was always Not a chance, sorry. They had plenty of warning for when they needed it,and considering, like them I was at work till 4.30,and would be back at 8.00 the next morning, sometimes 6.00, no way was I even going to try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

I knew you all would understand. If it’s just about cards, I mostly don’t even think of selling them. I have only sold a few when I was “commissioned” to make them by a fellow crafter who understands the materials and the time it takes.
I also have mostly gotten over whether I get compliments or not; and any rude comments about having too much time on my hands etc. I usually reply we all make time for the things that matter to us. However; the friends that compliment me and really appreciate the cards get my “best effort” year after year. I make the cards when the mood strikes and I get enjoyment from the process. I used to send lots of them to Operation Write Home.

I just recently started making these home decor pieces. The mixed media stuff. I’ve been buying and hoarding supplies for this kind of thing for a few years. When I started posting progress pics and getting comments about “you should sell” I figured, okay...I’ll post a price that was really the bare minimum I could see taking for this stuff. I have more than I could use, but not enough to justify trying to get a booth at a craft fair. I’d hoped the people commenting how much they “loved” it would actually open up their wallets. I realize they can buy cheaper decorations at Hobby Lobby or someplace but these are unique and handcrafted.
Oh well, guess I’ll have to adjust my expectations and think of these the same way I do my cards.
Thanks for commiserating ladies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2019, 02:25 AM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

One thought on selling handmade items. It seems that what customers view as an 'acceptable' price, can be heavily influenced by how the items are described.

If you think about it, as an example- a plain old hotel can charge X amount per night, one that describes itself as a 'boutique' hotel can charge XO per night. One that describes itself as a ' Boutique Hotel & Spa' will charge XOO per night. We see those descriptions, and we have an approximate price range in our head before we go any further.

Transfer that to crafting, and a 'Handmade' item can be sold for X. A 'Craftsman made' item for XO. And finally, an 'Artisan' made item for XOO. Although as crafters we KNOW the skill involved, non crafters don't so defining our makes as Craftsman/woman made, or Artisan made, indicates a level of skill and professionalism.

So, when advertising/setting out a booth at a craft fair, it could be worth bearing that in mind.
Having 'Artisan' or Craftsman/woman in your signage will signal subtly to people where the prices are going to lie.
Reply With Quote Likes