Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-29-2010, 05:24 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed

I just went through the entire list of digi websites, checking them out to see what I want to bookmark, and quite frankly I'm disappointed. So much of it are these goofy, stupid looking images that I would't even take for free! I'm looking for REAL art, not all these crazy looking characters that have gigantic heads and spooky looking eyes. Where are the pretty landscapes, lovely birds, elegant borders, etc.? Am I turning into a stamp snob or have we lowered standards that much? I saw a few good sites, but all in all most of them were very poor art. Maybe I'll just stick stick to stamps.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 05:34 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I am with you gram! The designs are below par. It seems that anyone who can whip up a quick website can put their simple designs up for a quick buck (not everyone of course, but it looks like the vast majority). Yuck! And those eyes.....creepy doesn't even begin to describe it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 05:35 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to agree. I've been disappointed as well. Some of the digi images (and some regular stamps) are taken from copyright free images and they look it!

I have seen some nice digital images at Hero Arts...a few are free.. also, waltzingmouse stamps had a lovely free image of a bunch of clover wrapped in fabric...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 05:36 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps these characters you don't like are a trend. There are some I'm not crazy about either, but somebody must like them, right?

It seems to me that these artists are willing to please and will go to lengths to fill demand. JAT, but if you see an artist's work you like, even if they don't do the subjects you want, why not email them and ask if they're willing to attempt the pretty landscapes, lovely birds, etc.? On more than one occasion, I've seen blog posts referring to filling just such requests.

After all, if they want to make $, they have to provide something people want to buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 06:23 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Default In defense of

I've become very attached to digi images. I am in no way an artist, and am way too timid to show any of my cards I have made. I have seen alot I don't like, but also alot of really wonderful art that is up for grabs for FREE. These gals (and guys?) have the guts to put their art up, and my guess is that they also read the messages here at SCS. Put yourself in their shoes, and how would you feel about the negative comments? I'm all for free speech, but not when it could hurt someone.

Please, If you love something, let people know. If you don't, please email or PM the person if you feel youthin must. If you wouldn't say something right to their face, think twice before you put it in a forum like this.

Like Thumper says "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

StampinOnThePrairie my poor little bare bones blog - but come say Hi !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 07:21 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaparhamView Post
I've become very attached to digi images. I am in no way an artist, and am way too timid to show any of my cards I have made. I have seen alot I don't like, but also alot of really wonderful art that is up for grabs for FREE. These gals (and guys?) have the guts to put their art up, and my guess is that they also read the messages here at SCS. Put yourself in their shoes, and how would you feel about the negative comments? I'm all for free speech, but not when it could hurt someone.

Please, If you love something, let people know. If you don't, please email or PM the person if you feel youthin must. If you wouldn't say something right to their face, think twice before you put it in a forum like this.

Like Thumper says "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."
Last I heard, this was still a free country! I'm certainly allowed to express my opinion, just as you are. My whole purpose of this thread was to convey what I feel is lacking in digital art. If I stepped on anyones digi toes, deal with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Dedham, MA just outside Boston where I was born and raised
Default Funny!

Bawaahhahah this made me laugh! I've got to see the goofy, stupid looking images with gigantic heads and spooky eyes. Can you send me a link. I've got to see what you're talking about!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gram2boyzView Post
I just went through the entire list of digi websites, checking them out to see what I want to bookmark, and quite frankly I'm disappointed. So much of it are these goofy, stupid looking images that I would't even take for free! I'm looking for REAL art, not all these crazy looking characters that have gigantic heads and spooky looking eyes. Where are the pretty landscapes, lovely birds, elegant borders, etc.? Am I turning into a stamp snob or have we lowered standards that much? I saw a few good sites, but all in all most of them were very poor art. Maybe I'll just stick stick to stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by she's_craftyView Post
Bawaahhahah this made me laugh! I've got to see the goofy, stupid looking images with gigantic heads and spooky eyes. Can you send me a link. I've got to see what you're talking about!!
Please, don't make me go back there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh sorry you havent been able to find what you like.
keep looking you might find something you like ;)
I like MyGrafico <moderator edit> ;)

<moderator edit>
For me, I love digis, and some might now be my style, but have found a lot that are
so many good companies to choose from now ;)

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 04-05-2010 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: Design Team member promotional
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I'm interested in this conversation. I've been noticing ALOT of digital stamp sites, now that I opened my own. I didn't realize it was such a big market until now. I'm trying to just draw what I LOVE to draw and what I'm inspired by. It's nice to hear everyones opinions on the "cartoon" look. I've been considering drawing a small line but haven't yet been inspired on what look to go with. I'm not sure I have the talent to even draw people anyhow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there are a lot of digi stamps inspired by Manga art, which is Japanese. Definitely strange in my opinion, but that's just my taste. I have a friend who's very much into it. But, yup, I find it creepy! lol I'm not big into digital stamping, but am becoming a fan of Mo's Digital Pencil. Maurie's art is adorable, but not "cutesy". You might want to check her stuff out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbftView Post
I think there are a lot of digi stamps inspired by Manga art, which is Japanese. Definitely strange in my opinion, but that's just my taste. I have a friend who's very much into it. But, yup, I find it creepy! lol I'm not big into digital stamping, but am becoming a fan of Mo's Digital Pencil. Maurie's art is adorable, but not "cutesy". You might want to check her stuff out!
Yes, Mo's Digital Pencil is very good. It reminds me a bit of Mary Engelbreight's stuff.

All I'm trying to say is I'd like to see some more traditional art in the digi world. I'm just not sure that I would use all the cutesy and cartoonish stuff that seems to be so prominant right now, even in rubber stamps. Most of the cards I send are to adults, and a lot of these images seem geared to kids.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #13  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

I hear what you are saying-
You would be more inclined to buy digital images- (because they aren't stamps!) if there were some less cutesy/clip art styled ones- There's a void there in that specific style of images out there-

Hopefully someone will hear your call and draw up some fabby stuff!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsaybrookeView Post
I'm interested in this conversation. I've been noticing ALOT of digital stamp sites, now that I opened my own. I didn't realize it was such a big market until now. I'm trying to just draw what I LOVE to draw and what I'm inspired by. It's nice to hear everyones opinions on the "cartoon" look. I've been considering drawing a small line but haven't yet been inspired on what look to go with. I'm not sure I have the talent to even draw people anyhow.
loving your style Lindsay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Default The Stamping Boutique

<moderator edit>
Hello ladies,
I agree with you that anyone with a pencil can open a digital stamp store. Many of them are poor quality and can make all digital stamp artists look bad.
But, there are many talented artists out there as well. <moderator edit> LOL. I'm always open to suggestions.
Thanks so much!
Tracey Malnofski
<moderator edit>

UnityStampCo.
Artist

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 04-05-2010 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: self-promotional by business owner
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by creatingisfunView Post
loving your style Lindsay
Thanks Martha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Hello ladies,
I agree with you that anyone with a pencil can open a digital stamp store. Many of them are poor quality and can make all digital stamp artists look bad.
But, there are many talented artists out there as well. LOL. I'm always open to suggestions.
Thanks so much!
Tracey Malnofski
You're right. You do have a beautiful quality to your work. I really like the fairies.

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 04-05-2010 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: removed promotional items quoted
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Default OOOh!

Oh! Lindsey! You're a Unity artist! how cool! I get Unity kits every month. I love them!

UnityStampCo.
Artist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 04:48 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Tracey,
Your work is very good. Congrats! You made it to my bookmarks! Seriously, your work is good, just don't limit yourself too much. You want to appeal to the broadest spectrum of buyers without lossing your own style. (I know, it's not that easy.) Personally, I'm not into the whole fantacy rage, so if I saw a website with too much of that sort of thing, I'd steer away. But, there are others who love it, so it's back to my main point. Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I have seen VERY few digital stamps I like too - one being Pink Cat Studio, but I fell in love with their rubber stamps first (another is The Stamps Of Life - who have their images available in both clear stamps and digis). I am more comfortable with buying digital stamps, papers or templates from people who I've admired and seen on blogs, as designers for stamp companies, etc... and then decided to do their own thing like Lauren Meader and lawnfawn (although she doesn't have any digi products). I still see digital stamping as fairly new -- so some artists may be seeing how it fares before diving in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

If you like more realistic images, try DZ Doodles. She has many florals, etc. that would be good for adult cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #22  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

It's funny how tastes differ. I laughed out loud at your post, because I like the art that you consider stupid and below par. The landscapes, lovely birds, elegant borders that you yearn for make me think of doilies and mothballs...LOL! I'm glad there are artists to satisfy each of us out there. Good luck finding the images that you seek!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 12:17 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

I don't much care for "people" digital stamps. I don't use a lot of the "people" stamps because, frankly, I don't like them. I rarely buy them in rubber or cling stamps. Of course, "People" stamps don't include fairies because I love fairies. But the Tilda and all those people stamps just aren't my style.

So far I am waiting for some penguin stamps and more teddy bear digi stamps. I love penguins. I can't find any digi penguin stamps. I do know someone that has a digi stamp store so I'm waiting for her since she knows I'd like some penguin digis.

Now there are some "people" stamps I'll get if they have funny sayings with them. I think it's louby lou who has the nurse and a couple of others.

I love birds, flowers, birdhouses, stuff like that.

Plus my fave digi store, digital ink, shut down but is due to reopen under another name. And I like the stuff in stitchy stamps' store just not all the people/kids ones.

One other thing: I don't feel the craftmanship is that bad on the digi stamps. There are a lot more very good designers than bad ones out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmamichelfView Post
I don't much care for "people" digital stamps. I don't use a lot of the "people" stamps because, frankly, I don't like them. I rarely buy them in rubber or cling stamps. Of course, "People" stamps don't include fairies because I love fairies. But the Tilda and all those people stamps just aren't my style.

So far I am waiting for some penguin stamps and more teddy bear digi stamps. I love penguins. I can't find any digi penguin stamps. I do know someone that has a digi stamp store so I'm waiting for her since she knows I'd like some penguin digis.

Now there are some "people" stamps I'll get if they have funny sayings with them. I think it's louby lou who has the nurse and a couple of others.

I love birds, flowers, birdhouses, stuff like that.

Plus my fave digi store, digital ink, shut down but is due to reopen under another name. And I like the stuff in stitchy stamps' store just not all the people/kids ones.

One other thing: I don't feel the craftmanship is that bad on the digi stamps. There are a lot more very good designers than bad ones out there.
Have you checked out Angels Landing? They have several adorable sets with penguins, bears, and polar bears!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 12:45 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by saramorenoView Post
Have you checked out Angels Landing? They have several adorable sets with penguins, bears, and polar bears!
Oh yeah! They are adorable aren't they? I wish they'd do some newer ones for spring. That would be so cool.

And louby loo's---I was wrong. They have the some really cute digi stamps.

Bugaboos has the wicked Stella and the nurse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 04:55 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Penguin stamps

Oh darn,
I did a set of winter penguins last winter.
<moderator edit>
Thank you so much Lindsay for your super, sweet compliment! ( I'm just green with envy that you're a Unity artist-LOL)

Gram2boyz-Thank you for taking your time to look at my art and letting me know what you think. Your words truly meant a lot to me. I've read it over several times. I'm also going to take your advice and do some traditional images of landscapes, flowers, etc. I'm a pastel artist and I love painting flowers. I have no idea why I haven't brought that side of myself into my digital images.
Thank you so, so much for your time and advice.
Tracey

UnityStampCo.
Artist

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 04-05-2010 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: Removed self-promotional language by business owner per TOS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 05:16 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by saramorenoView Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmamichelfView Post
Oh yeah! They are adorable aren't they? I wish they'd do some newer ones for spring. That would be so cool.
Thank you both so much for your nice comments.

About spring designs, I have started some new sets but haven't finished them yet. I need to pick them up again. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 05:28 AM   #28  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Those penguins are adorable!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by traceydawnnView Post
Oh darn,

Thank you so much Lindsay for your super, sweet compliment! ( I'm just green with envy that you're a Unity artist-LOL)

Gram2boyz-Thank you for taking your time to look at my art and letting me know what you think. Your words truly meant a lot to me. I've read it over several times. I'm also going to take your advice and do some traditional images of landscapes, flowers, etc. I'm a pastel artist and I love painting flowers. I have no idea why I haven't brought that side of myself into my digital images.
Tracey

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 04-05-2010 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: removed quoted promo link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 05:46 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Gram, I agree with you completely! I haven't delved into the digital world yet, but when I do I will be looking for beautiful landscapes, trees, animals, fantasy scenes, something unique and beautiful. I have tons of rubber/clear collections of stamps - with only a few cartoonish sets. I feel like I need some sets that set a really light-hearted tone, but when I use those they are not cards that evoke the WOW response. They will get the HOW CUTE! response. Big difference.

For example: trees - if they look like sticks and lollipops - No way will I use them. If they look detailed and authentic, then I'll buy that.

Hopefully after following this thread maybe we can find some realistic digital art sites. I'm gonna be following this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 07:11 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

oops!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 07:13 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by traceydawnnView Post
Oh darn,

Tracey
Unity is a GEAT stamp company. I'm so lucky to be a part of that.
My digis can't even compare to what goes in to Unity. I just decided to do digital to get more of my own art out there more often. It helps me feel more accomplished to be able to offer MORE. KWIM? It also pushes me to get more creative to come up with even more things than I already was, and to draw things that don't necessarliy fit into the Unity style. (all that being said I need to make sure everyone knows that my digis aren't affiliated with Unity Stamp Co. at all)

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 04-05-2010 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: removed quoted promo link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 01:20 PM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

I think squigglefly had some really nice scenery digis.

I saw some birdcages somewhere that I wanted. And I'm still waiting for the M&M Designz new store to open. It's opening tomorrow I think. I purchased quite a few from Digital Ink that I loved. I just found some on stitchy stamps that I'm going to have to get as well.

I'm all over the place.

Tracey those penguins are cute! Why didn't I see them before?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 02:05 PM   #33  
Mad Swapper

gram2boyz,

I agree with you, the Japanese animation is not my style either. I don't know which digi list you went through, if it was meluvstampin's list this site isn't listed:

Digital Two for Tuesday

All the images are free and they are traditional. You don't have to save them on your computer, she keeps them available (some sites take them off after a period of time). She also has images for sale. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 02:17 PM   #34  
Gabfest Goddess

I have to agree with the OP in the choice of digi images that are offered for free. The style is just not my style and I would love to see some elegant florals, fruit, plants done.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 03:06 PM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Hello everyone!

Hello again ladies,
I have just posted a Cardinal image free of charge if anyone is interested. It's in the digital images forum. I thought maybe some of the ladies who preferred images of nature would enjoy it.
Someone mentioned Squigglefly.com as a source for landscape images. I work for SF also and can honestly say some of the landscape images are breathtaking. It's definitely worth taking a look.
Have a wonderful evening!
Tracey

UnityStampCo.
Artist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by monicas silcottView Post
gram2boyz,

I agree with you, the Japanese animation is not my style either. I don't know which digi list you went through, if it was meluvstampin's list this site isn't listed:

Digital Two for Tuesday

All the images are free and they are traditional. You don't have to save them on your computer, she keeps them available (some sites take them off after a period of time). She also has images for sale. Hope this helps.
Thanx for the great link! WOW!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 07:03 PM   #37  
Crimping Master

This thread kind of made me smile

<snip>I'm still a work in progress with the digis and I'm not sure where it will go. But I'm enjoying the drawing anyway.

Here is one of the latest, snow drops from my garden.

Spring Flowers Digi stamps freebie by Mom0fgirls at Splitcoaststampers

My site: Paper Garden Projects

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 04-18-2010 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: Removed promotion per TOS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 05:03 AM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom0fgirlsView Post
This thread kind of made me smile

I'm still a work in progress with the digis and I'm not sure where it will go. But I'm enjoying the drawing anyway.

Here is one of the latest, snow drops from my garden.

Spring Flowers Digi stamps freebie by Mom0fgirls at Splitcoaststampers
Your work is just beautiful! I made a pretty card just las night from the crocus digi. Thanx so much for sharing those lovely sets! Keep them coming!

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 04-18-2010 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: removed promotion per TOS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 06:10 AM   #39  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Your work is just beautiful! I made a pretty card just las night from the crocus digi. Thanx so much for sharing those lovely sets! Keep them coming!
Thank you so much - that is so kind of you!

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

oh! They are beautiful, Tiffany!

UnityStampCo.
Artist
Reply With Quote Likes