Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-09-2010, 03:49 AM   #121  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so with all being said, JUST mildly curious, is there any other company (sorry SU) that has a color CLOSE to Blush Blossom?

I am sad to see a LOT of colors go, erm even the well known color from LateBlossom, "fairy vomit" or better known to SU as Orchid Opulence,which btw I had just used on a card cuz I felt it needed some lovin.. lol.. There probably are colors that I will miss more, but I just havent figured out which ones yet.. hey give me time I'm blonde, and it is early *sips more coffee*

When I first heard of the massive change I, like many, went into major shock and panic mode thinking.. OMG I have to get those NOW because no one likes something we like to be gone forever.. Uhm btw? on that note.. we all thought those "in" colors were gone forever too huh? Maybe.. just maybe (and I'm NOT a demo or do I work for SU) they will revamp some of those colors under new names? I mean look at Kraft.. Crumb Cake!!! and speaking of that.. whats with the names referring to some type of FOOD!!??!! Sheesh!!!

I have thought for a while now SU needed to do something because of ALL the competition out there.. Bravo for the change, now I just need to win the lotto so I can buy some extra paper.. and then I'm speculating on the big change in the new catalog.. think about it ... I'm thinking MEGA retirement stuff and adding MASSIVE stuff.. with the color blast change you think they wouldn't??
But as some say.. that's just my two cents..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 05:02 AM   #122  
Pearl-ExPert

[QUOTE=franb63;16474326]Ok so with all being said, JUST mildly curious, is there any other company (sorry SU) that has a color CLOSE to Blush Blossom?
QUOTE]

Not totally sure, but have you checked out Gina K or Papertreyink? They have some great colors(PTI coordinates nicely with SU). I don't know off the top of my head but there must be something out there that is close.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 05:05 AM   #123  
Embossing Fanatic

school teachers lose out

While I love a lot of the new colors and understand the need to keep current, I am devastated to lose the core primary colors :oops:. I teach elementary school and do all kinds of things for my classroom with the primary colors... game boards, name tags, etc... I will stock up on some, but can't afford enough for the next 10 years! So sad too for moms of little kids. There is nothing better than birthday pages with those bold brights!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 05:11 AM   #124  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
Just like I'm sure that "more" demos who were new demos were excited when SU retired sets in their starter kits within no time at all after becoming demos, and "more" demos were excited when SU changed their IDA. Oops, my bad...if you look at many personal websites of demos who weren't on design teams, their personal websites are in violation of the new IDA and their posts on public forums regularly rave about competitors and include links (as opposed to the "incidental" way that SU talked about being okay). So, maybe a lot don't care about SU retiring a ton of colors because they'll continue using them in workshops regardless of any rules, as "many" use competitor products similar to what SU has because they don't own the SU version. Just like those demos who were already selling current SU products that were soon to be retiring from their stash as cash and carry, or selling consumables as cash and carry. I know a lot of very nice, play by the rules demos who went out of their way to make changes when SU changed the rules, but I know an equal number who don't care about the rules because they do what they want anyway, so I'm sure no matter the change SU makes, those demos won't care because they won't follow it anyway.
It's been my experience with the human race in general, that many simply don't READ the rules for anything they are involved in, whether they are demonstrators or not. Now, I'm a stickler when it comes to rules (and this is something I think we have in common )...I want to know what they are, I want to know what's going on all the time, so I log into the SU! demo portal every morning first thing, and sometimes come back and look in the afternoon too because they sometimes post things later. Whenever they change our manual, I read the changes and try to think how it applies to me. If in doubt, I call and ask.

But I know we all aren't like that and some people simply don't do that. Many of those in violation of the IDA are probably quite unaware that what they are doing is against the rules. Some are just openly flouting the rules...there are always going to be some bad apples in any barrel. Hasn't got anything to do with being a demonstrator, just everything to do with being human.

I've known of similar people in any business you would care to name. I just try not to let it get me down. It's not the fault of SU! or any business that some people who sign up are not honorable. My experience with SU! is that they ARE honorable and usually try to make things right that go wrong for their demonstrators. They've made lots of changes in our favor over the 7 years I've been a demonstrator, but since they are a business, there are times when they've made changes that are good for business, but not always good for me personally, even though they are probably good for my business in the long run. I try not to take it personally. Stamp sets retire, products retire, colors retire and it all impacts me financially, but I am in business after all, not a charitable dependent on a stamping benevolent society. ;) I sell off the stuff that retires that I no longer wish to keep and keep going. It's called the cost of doing business. I also try to keep in mind that nobody MADE me buy any of it. It was my choice. You CAN do business without having everything...it's just not as much FUN. :mrgreen:

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 05:22 AM   #125  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was very excited to see the new color lineup the other day -- it looks fresh and fabulous!

Do I feel bad for demos??? yeah, to a certain extent, unfortunately, this is really not all that different from taking a chance on buying stamps, you never know what is going to retire. YES, I understand that it is a HUGE change, but obviously one not made with haste. And there are still colors they can demo with. Plus, they can try to sell off some of the retired colors to make some $$ to get new items.

There will never be a 100% perfect solution for everyone, but I do think it was a good move for SU! - I was around for the last color revamp, and I remember all of the anger, and harsh things. "I'm leaving SU - I can't believe they are doing this" "This is a mistake. They'll see" etc. Well, here we are, years later, the company didn't go out of business, and they're going to freshen things up again...I have all of those retired colors 'Mint Melody, anyone?' and 'Marvelous Magenta', lol. And now I'll have the new retired colors as well. I can honestly tell you -- I don't nearly begin to scratch the surface in using all of the colors I have, I tend to stick with a lot of the same combos over and over again (unfortunately), but if I need that mint green, I'm glad I have it ;)

I think this is a great change -- and I never appreciated some of last years 'in colors' until after they were gone, so I'm happy to see some of those colors coming back.

BTW - I'm not a demo, and most of my purchases these days come from PTI, for some of the aforementioned reasons (thicker CS, the tax & S&H, etc.) but I like that I can round out some color 'families' with SU! too...I'm an equal opportunity color lover ;).

Let's think about it - it's PAPER and INK, not food, water and the air we breathe...take a deep breath...it's all going to be ok...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 05:24 AM   #126  
Duchess of CBCs

Quote:

Originally Posted by franb63View Post
and speaking of that.. whats with the names referring to some type of FOOD!!??!!

LOL... I just had to laugh because I get hungry just reading about the new colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 05:28 AM   #127  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
They've made lots of changes in our favor over the 7 years I've been a demonstrator, but since they are a business, there are times when they've made changes that are good for business, but not always good for me personally, even though they are probably good for my business in the long run. I try not to take it personally. Stamp sets retire, products retire, colors retire and it all impacts me financially, but I am in business after all, not a charitable dependent on a stamping benevolent society. ;) I sell off the stuff that retires that I no longer wish to keep and keep going. It's called the cost of doing business. I also try to keep in mind that nobody MADE me buy any of it. It was my choice. You CAN do business without having everything...it's just not as much FUN. :mrgreen:
Jan - this is SO well put!!! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 06:00 AM   #128  
Glitter Queen

Default I said I wouldn't....but look I have.

When I first joined the splitcoast community I told my self "I'll just read what everyone has to say (it's their opinion) and I won't comment", but look at this I'm commenting.

First, I'd like to say I've been stamping and crafting for over 10 years. I've been through multiple demos and numerous product retirements (I was even around for the first color renovation). Change is enevidable, it's part of life. I recall being so fed up that Mint Melody and Marvolas Magenta were being retired and now I don't even miss those colors. I'm pleased that SU is changing their color pallette. Of course I'm sad to see some colors go, but at $5.50 a pack and $2.95 a reinker I think I can afford (and if I can't afford something it's not ment to be ie. The Big Shot) a few packs of paper and a few reinkers that I "have to have" and can't live without.

Second, it's sad to see that people are "leaving" SU because of change. It's been my life experience that people don't leave something because of just one reason. Use this as an excuse if you must. SU has great quality products for stampers and crafters.

Third, most of the people posting about the expense of the change must have greedy or mind-controlling demos. All of my demos have been "buy what you like" demos and not "your experience wont be complete without the lastest and greatest" demos.
For example, I was insistant on having every color SU offered in every product they offered. I was ready to make a huge purchase (all the classic ink pads)! My demo looked at me and said are you honestly going to use all those colors? Instead of spending $232 I spent $90 on all the ink spots (they even work on background stamps it just takes time...don't rush creativity). In my eyes my demo saved me money. Sure I turned right around and spent the money on other SU products, but it was a great benefit.
My point you may ask is no one is forcing any of us to buy everything and replace everything with the newest products. Buy what you like, use what you like, rave about what you like!

Okay, that's it! Thanks for listening. Happy stamping and crafting!

Visit my blog! http://browneyedlinedesigns.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 07:09 AM   #129  
Compulsive Stamper

I have had a few days to think about the change and now seeing the new colors I am excited about it. I think my main complaint was that there was so many colors retiring all at once. I know I can not afford at this time to buy all that I want so I will have to narrow it down to probably 5 or 6 colors. I have been so loyal to Stampin Up that I guess this will give me the opportunity to discover other places for paper in the colors that Stampin Up does not carry. But I still love Stampin Up and always will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 07:33 AM   #130  
Compulsive Stamper

Default one simple question

Which color will work for flesh/skin tones in the new palette....wrote SU...they said the demo's will come up with something....huh?.....bad answer imho
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 07:49 AM   #131  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by yesiprayView Post
Which color will work for flesh/skin tones in the new palette....wrote SU...they said the demo's will come up with something....huh?.....bad answer imho
The Blush Blossom marker will continue to be offered. My main problem will be punch art people...but they are right, we will think of something!

You can always brayer color on white cardstock if you have to. Pink Pirouette could have a little tan or yellow added to it to get it closer to a flesh tone. There is no flesh tone in the watercolor pencils, so I usually mix a little of the lightest brown, the pink, and one of the yellows to get flesh tone.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #132  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinSamiView Post
I have had a few days to think about the change and now seeing the new colors I am excited about it. I think my main complaint was that there was so many colors retiring all at once. I know I can not afford at this time to buy all that I want so I will have to narrow it down to probably 5 or 6 colors. I have been so loyal to Stampin Up that I guess this will give me the opportunity to discover other places for paper in the colors that Stampin Up does not carry. But I still love Stampin Up and always will.
I know how you feel about the high number of colors being retired. I will miss my favorites however, there is a solution if you use a computer: download the SU cardstock colors. It costs about 3.95 and you get this year's in colors plus 24 of the core colors. I've downloaded SU stamps and designer paper as well. Some of the core colors are not avialable, but the downloads include the additions of red riding hood, baja breeze, even kiwi kiss. I'm surprised the SU demos are not mentioning this as it's a great alternative to buying massive amounts of retiring papers. By the way, these downloads work with any digital system, not just SU. They even work with Microsoft Office.

Another alternative is to get matching paper colors from another manufacturer. I just got back from AC Moore's where I picked up the Bazill equivalent of Barely Banana on sale. It's called Tapioca. I just needed a few sheets so this worked out well for me. They were 3 12x12 sheets for $1.oo

The more I look at the new colors the more optimistic I feel. But I will miss my ruby red.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #133  
Insane Embellisher

My sisters,friends and I are just (SICK) about the CHANGE.We love blush blossom to use with our Paper dolls cricut cartridge. Not sure what color to replace it with. And getting rid of the browns just don't make sense. Would love to stock up on all of my favorites. But with my financial situation there is just no way. S.U.should have thought a little more about their costumers and slowly changed the colors. Very dissapointed in them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #134  
Embossing Fanatic

To geogymnast82: (on page 1) My Sentiments Exactly! I so totally agree with all you said. And even the 60% off Clearance Rack - how many of us hurried to get stuff cheap - only to find out now that those are the colors they are discontinuing! :/ I know I'm gonna have a lot of buttons that only match my retiring CS!

Last edited by CLOcards; 04-09-2010 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: forgot to quote source
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #135  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrysiadView Post
download the SU cardstock colors. It costs about 3.95 and you get this year's in colors plus 24 of the core colors. I've downloaded SU stamps and designer paper as well. Some of the core colors are not avialable, but the downloads include the additions of red riding hood, baja breeze, even kiwi kiss. I'm surprised the SU demos are not mentioning this as it's a great alternative to buying massive amounts of retiring papers. By the way, these downloads work with any digital system, not just SU. They even work with Microsoft Office.

Another alternative is to get matching paper colors from another manufacturer. I just got back from AC Moore's where I picked up the Bazill equivalent of Barely Banana on sale. It's called Tapioca. I just needed a few sheets so this worked out well for me. They were 3 12x12 sheets for $1.oo

The more I look at the new colors the more optimistic I feel. But I will miss my ruby red.

Have fun!
Krysaid:

How do you download the cardstock colors? I haven't heard of this before......I have a list of most of the RPG codes, but don't actually have the cardstock colors. I'm probably asking a really dumb question (my computer knowledge is not what my daughter's is!), but could you expand on this a little more? I'd sure appreciate it.

I'm in no financial position to stock up on many of the retiring colors, either, but I've also gotten into the habit of matching my S/U stock to Bazzil colors over the past two years. In fact, whenever I find a Bazzil color that matches well and I know I'll want to purchase more, I simply peel off the label from the back, which includes the color name, and stick it to a master sheet that I keep and can take with me to Michael's, JoAnn's or a LSS. I don't think I've ever found a S/U shade that I can't match pretty closely with Bazzil. It's not as heavy as the S/U CS, but since I don't use colored CS for my card bases, it works just fine for layering.

Anywho, thanks for whatever info you can provide on the download thing.

Kat
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #136  
Matboard Maniac

I am new to the stamping world, only been involved for a year now. But got my start through Stampin Up and while I purchase supplies and stamps from many companies now, SU is still my favorite and I spend the majority of my stamping budget with SU. They have been a reputable company from my experience - I have had a few defective items that were immediately replaced when I raised it as a problem. I too just recently made the big decision to invest in their large Classic pads - and purchased all 4 color groups! The plastic isn't even off most of them yet. But I have no regrets. I will just need to be sure to get ink refills before they sell out now of my favorites.

I am not a demo just a stamping addict! (Boy that didn't take long to develop!) LOL

I am really EXCITED about the new color changes! I have been told by my favorite Demo that one will be able to purchase fill-in sets so we can get the new colors to complete our colors and stay current. Since I have the full set of markers, chalks, pencils etc. that is very good news.

I am thinking that perhaps, the new In Colors will represent the more trendy colors in the world of arts and home dec which is good. And I like that they will carry those longer - that is great news.

I felt that their old color options were frankly a bit old... I was finding myself purchasing more and more colors from Papertrey because their colors were more current and trendy.

I am a mixed media artist - I do fiber arts, stamping, quilting etc. and so I love colors - ALL COLORS! I think it is wonderful that SU is expanding their artsy options and colors, and product lines. I can hardly wait to see the new catalog and mini's to come. I am glad to see they are staying current and not afraid to make changes!

I was told that they researched these color changes for over two years before making their decision - to me that makes good company sense. I am sure we all have colors we will miss. But as others have said - there are always options out there.

Just my two cents worth...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #137  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have mixed feelings about the change. First, I think SU! should have something about this on their own website. I couldn't find anything and have relied on blogs to get my info. If they want their demos to leak this, they should at least have some basic info on their own site.

I certainly understand why they would want to trim the line and not have so many colors. In the long term, I think that will be good for demos. In the short term, it could be quite an expense for some. Personally, I'm glad I dropped as a demo last fall. I'd be really frustrated if I'd continue to purchase ink pads and paper at the pace I was buying before I dropped.

I don't use Bold Brights very much - good thing since only two colors are surviving but I love Soft Subtles and just bought the markers a month ago! I don't get gutting almost all the purples - certainly all the light shades. Truer shades of blue are also gone and just when those colors are coming back to the home decor market. And Really Rust gone? Really?

Having a Kraft ink pad will be nice and some of the new colors look promising. Delighted that Baja is coming back though I'd have liked to see Soft Sky and Kiwi return. Guess I'll finally open that Pink Piroette Ink pad I never used and had planned to sell on E-bay

I wonder if we will see any price changes along with all these other changes?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #138  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitkat55View Post
Krysaid:

How do you download the cardstock colors? I haven't heard of this before......I have a list of most of the RPG codes, but don't actually have the cardstock colors. I'm probably asking a really dumb question (my computer knowledge is not what my daughter's is!), but could you expand on this a little more? I'd sure appreciate it.

I'm in no financial position to stock up on many of the retiring colors, either, but I've also gotten into the habit of matching my S/U stock to Bazzil colors over the past two years. In fact, whenever I find a Bazzil color that matches well and I know I'll want to purchase more, I simply peel off the label from the back, which includes the color name, and stick it to a master sheet that I keep and can take with me to Michael's, JoAnn's or a LSS. I don't think I've ever found a S/U shade that I can't match pretty closely with Bazzil. It's not as heavy as the S/U CS, but since I don't use colored CS for my card bases, it works just fine for layering.

Anywho, thanks for whatever info you can provide on the download thing.

Kat
To download just the colors, go to the SU store at www.stampinup.com (or your demo's website store) and choose: Digital crafting/my digital downloads/papers.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #139  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdocView Post
To download just the colors, go to the SU store at www.stampinup.com (or your demo's website store) and choose: Digital crafting/my digital downloads/papers.
Thanks, Kim! I'll give it a try tomorrow.....

Kat
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 05:57 AM   #140  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuccicoo1002View Post
Jan - this is SO well put!!! :mrgreen:
I agree that BOTH of you made some really good points! Very well put ladies.

And Jan....I'm a rule follower/stickler too:-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 06:03 AM   #141  

For example, I was insistant on having every color SU offered in every product they offered. I was ready to make a huge purchase (all the classic ink pads)! My demo looked at me and said are you honestly going to use all those colors? Instead of spending $232 I spent $90 on all the ink spots

Man, I wish my demo would have said that to me....

Oh wait, I AM my own demo, LOL

That's cool of your demo. I'm a have to have it kinda person...what if I NEED it down the road? So quite a while ago I got all the full size pads. Never regretted it until now. Really, did I need all those colors, no. Did I use all of them...no. Oh well...I consider it a lesson learned I guess. I think this was a good wake up call for me and maybe people like me that you don't NEED it all. I knew I had favorite colors and I should have just got those! Sadly a few (I've used most of my colors...at least once in the 2 or 3 years I've had them *gulp*) are still in the shrink wrap. How dumb of me!

Hope you enjoy the new colors!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 06:10 AM   #142  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenguinView Post
Poor SU. They are darned if they do and darned if they don't.

Can you imagine the uproar if they didn't warn us ahead of time??!!! That's the way it used to be. It retired and tough luck. And you can't warn people a year in advance or risk losing their sales. They are a company in it to pay wages and make money.

I'm a little more than a hobby demo. Am I sad about losing colors? Sure! I love Barely Banana!! But, there are far greater things to worry about in life.

People like to pick on SU. I get that. The majority of the other companies out there wouldn't be in business if it wasn't for SU in the first place.

I prefer to be positive, be thankful for all the things that I have in life rather than whine and complain.

And for those that are that upset, you can just send all your retiring cardstock to me. ;) Just kidding!
Ain't that right sista!?!? Love your post! I'm missing banana with you but so excited to see the daffodil color...it looks so purty. And did you see all the stuff in SS to match it???? Sorry, gotta go get a tissue to wipe up the drool

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 06:23 AM   #143  
Embossing Fanatic

When I first read about the color changes I was a little angry as I have been literally scraping the bottom of the barrel each month to try and build up the basic/core color groups. Last month I ordered Bold Bright Brads and the whole set of Craft Bold Bright reinkers as well as some ribbon that will also retire. Great !
Last night I decided to "get a grip" and decide what this month's order will be and how much of the retiring paper I'll buy. What I discovered surprised me. First I looked at the colors I thought I "had" to have. Then I brought out my box of cards to see if there was a color I used a lot that matched my list of "paper I can't live without". I also took into consideration the patterned paper colors I have.
The results shocked me. First on my list of "must have" colors was Mellow Moss and second was Close to Cocoa. In my box of cards I found that I actually used those colors very rarely. Instead I had forgotten that I used purple....all the time and frankly my thoughts when going through my cards were "if I see another purple card.....".
So....yes - I will still order a few packs of paper - especially if I have patterned paper that matches ...but not nearly as much as I thought I would.
I've been looking at the new colors and have decided to start saying my pennies for July.
Now I'm excited. I just had to look at it in a different light and I say "bring it on"!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 06:31 AM   #144  

Quote:

Originally Posted by katieladyView Post
When I first read about the color changes I was a little angry as I have been literally scraping the bottom of the barrel each month to try and build up the basic/core color groups. Last month I ordered Bold Bright Brads and the whole set of Craft Bold Bright reinkers as well as some ribbon that will also retire. Great !
Last night I decided to "get a grip" and decide what this month's order will be and how much of the retiring paper I'll buy. What I discovered surprised me. First I looked at the colors I thought I "had" to have. Then I brought out my box of cards to see if there was a color I used a lot that matched my list of "paper I can't live without". I also took into consideration the patterned paper colors I have.
The results shocked me. First on my list of "must have" colors was Mellow Moss and second was Close to Cocoa. In my box of cards I found that I actually used those colors very rarely. Instead I had forgotten that I used purple....all the time and frankly my thoughts when going through my cards were "if I see another purple card.....".
So....yes - I will still order a few packs of paper - especially if I have patterned paper that matches ...but not nearly as much as I thought I would.
I've been looking at the new colors and have decided to start saying my pennies for July.
Now I'm excited. I just had to look at it in a different light and I say "bring it on"!!
Funny what you realize right? I was shocked at what I really did and didn't use....it's like I'd brainwashed myself, haha. I think I must go into a stamping trance and block reality out:-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 08:10 AM   #145  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Stampinaimeect:

I have to agree with you regarding pretty in pink and pink pirouette. They are a tad different if you hold them together, but I can not tell them apart if I didn't know which was which to begin with. It does seem silly to keep both.
Of course, I think Riding Hood Red is close to Real Red too. They should have developed a "holiday red"-tm instead!!

I will miss mellow moss!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #146  
Matboard Maniac

myfirst thought was frustration, till I too looked at what I will truly miss, that is mellow moss, will be buying a boat load of that! the others that I was originally going to stock pile I am trying to see what I can use instead, and too see alot of colors I rarely use, but had had gotten when I was a demo. looking forward to some new stuff
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #147  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm not a demo. My 2 cents worth is that I was at first in shock, but quickly got over it. I am excited about the new colors. I won't miss any of the Bold Brights. I will miss some of the more 'natural' colors like Mellow Moss and Sage Shadow. I also wish Kiwi Kiss and Soft Sky had been brought back...and Groovy Guava to replace Cameo Coral.

My stamping budget right now is $0. I can't afford any of them. I'm still excited and think it was about time. And, fortunately for me, I am a hoarder. I have almost all the old In-Color ink pads and papers. Also, like someone else said in one of these color discussions, just because it's retiring doesn't mean you can't use it if you've got it....unless you're a demo, of course.

So, for me, it's a good change.....I may have to sell some blood to get all that I'll want though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #148  
Kookie Creator

I'm NOT happy about the new color collections..it's taken me 4 years to save enough $$ to purchase just the 48 ink pads and now they are retiring some of the colors. I wished they would have just added a new "COLLECTION" with the favorite colors they are bringing back, and left the other 48 alone, as is. That way those of us who wish to keep the 48 can, and those that can afford and wish to get "new colors" may do so also. Sounds like a good idea to me, but just my two cents...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #149  
Mad Swapper

I'm excited about the changes! Until recently, I thought that I had to have every color of stamp pad and paper. However, I have finally realized that I almost always tend to stamp images that I can color in. Even if I use bolder stamp, I tend to use darker colors because my style tends more towards the vintage. I rarely use colors for card bases, either. I will probably only buy the replacement markers and the new reinkers. Oh, and the new paper. Luckily I have all of the returning In Colors, so that will not be an added expense. I am a demo, but mostly just for the discount-I do have one stamping group that meets every other month. I plan to keep all the retiring colors and use them for my personal use. I tend to use a variety of inks and coloring methods from other companies, as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #150  
Matboard Maniac

Default retiring colors

where can one find out which colors are being retired? The SU site doesn't have this info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #151  
Matboard Maniac

I just found a blog with all the information I was asking for! should have done a bit of Forum reading before I posted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #152  
Mad Swapper

I'm glad you found the info, Passionfruit. My daughter lives in Santa Maria!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #153  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by franb63View Post
Ok so with all being said, JUST mildly curious, is there any other company (sorry SU) that has a color CLOSE to Blush Blossom?

I am sad to see a LOT of colors go, erm even the well known color from LateBlossom, "fairy vomit" or better known to SU as Orchid Opulence,which btw I had just used on a card cuz I felt it needed some lovin.. lol.. There probably are colors that I will miss more, but I just havent figured out which ones yet.. hey give me time I'm blonde, and it is early *sips more coffee*

When I first heard of the massive change I, like many, went into major shock and panic mode thinking.. OMG I have to get those NOW because no one likes something we like to be gone forever.. Uhm btw? on that note.. we all thought those "in" colors were gone forever too huh? Maybe.. just maybe (and I'm NOT a demo or do I work for SU) they will revamp some of those colors under new names? I mean look at Kraft.. Crumb Cake!!! and speaking of that.. whats with the names referring to some type of FOOD!!??!! Sheesh!!!

I have thought for a while now SU needed to do something because of ALL the competition out there.. Bravo for the change, now I just need to win the lotto so I can buy some extra paper.. and then I'm speculating on the big change in the new catalog.. think about it ... I'm thinking MEGA retirement stuff and adding MASSIVE stuff.. with the color blast change you think they wouldn't??
But as some say.. that's just my two cents..

LOL!!!!!!!:mrgreen: Fairy vomit is someone's name for Orchid Opulence!! I can't say I've ever used it, but what a fun name for it!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #154  

Quote:

Originally Posted by debzi333View Post
LOL!!!!!!!:mrgreen: Fairy vomit is someone's name for Orchid Opulence!! I can't say I've ever used it, but what a fun name for it!!!
I have a whole package of it. Not quite sure why.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #155  
Stampin' Fool

I am depressed about losing Blush Blossom for light colored paperdolls, and also because I finally bought the SU! colorwheel to help me come up with new color combos. I assume they will make one for the new colors, but the neutrals would go with anything, making it a bit harder.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #156  

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecheckerView Post
I am depressed about losing Blush Blossom for light colored paperdolls, and also because I finally bought the SU! colorwheel to help me come up with new color combos. I assume they will make one for the new colors, but the neutrals would go with anything, making it a bit harder.

Anne
The new Color Coach will be different - it looks more like a stack of color swatches, with color combos on the back. But yes, there will be a Color Coach for the new colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #157  
Compulsive Stamper

The demonstrators really have no choice but to be happy with the change. It would be OK with me if I hadn't been led to believe that the 4 main color families were permanent, and only the in colors would come and go. I like for things to match and i have matching paper, ink, markers, ribbon, buttons, brads, a color wheel, etc. etc. etc. there is no way I will run out of everything at the same time and my color wheel is no longer appropriate. I am not at all happy with this change. I will be using up my supplies and not returning to stampin up. I feel like I was led to believe that those colors would be around for a while and almost feel deceived. There is a lot to running a business, but customer loyalty should count for something. It appears to count for nothing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #158  

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathymellinView Post
The demonstrators really have no choice but to be happy with the change. It would be OK with me if I hadn't been led to believe that the 4 main color families were permanent, and only the in colors would come and go. I like for things to match and i have matching paper, ink, markers, ribbon, buttons, brads, a color wheel, etc. etc. etc. there is no way I will run out of everything at the same time and my color wheel is no longer appropriate. I am not at all happy with this change. I will be using up my supplies and not returning to stampin up. I feel like I was led to believe that those colors would be around for a while and almost feel deceived. There is a lot to running a business, but customer loyalty should count for something. It appears to count for nothing.
It's not like they ever promised they would never change the colors (has anyone ever gotten a promise that these were THE colors?). They did it once, I figured it was just a matter of time until it happened again. You have to stay current to be competitive, kwim? I'm hoping maybe you'll change your mind and stick around with us though! I know we all hate to see anyone go for any reason. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #159  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathymellinView Post
I'm really sorry to hear that. I have never seen a statement made by the company that the 48 colors would never be changed...having lived through the last color reorginization, I knew that they probably wouldn't.

There is hope for those who want to keep using retiring colors though...someone is always selling them somewhere. With all the demonstrators who decide not to keep their retiring colors, my guess is that cardstock and reinkers will continue to be available on Ebay and stamping sites that have a buy/sell/trade forum, for years. I went up on Ebay just now to see if I could find any Mint Melody cardstock, just as a case in point. Mint Melody retired in 2005. I was able to find cardstock, reinker and and an inkpad for less than the money they would have cost new. Of course, that wasn't a very popular color and popular colors will always be harder to find and cost more, but usually you can track down what you need if you really want.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 04:45 AM   #160  
Gallery Gazer

I still have a TON of mauve mist from the last color renovation Jan's right...you'll be able to find paper for years to come

I can't wait for the new colors!!!!! They look SO pretty!!! But I have to admit.....lately I've been using quiet a bit of the "fairy vomit" AKA Orchid Opulence :oops: LOVE the way it looks with Rich Razzleberry..........after almost 6 years with SU I finally found a use for that color ;)

My SUO Blog~Merry Stamps
My blog~ Merry Musings

Do you love Tastefully Simple?? Click HERE for fabulous recipes and to browse the catalog!
Reply With Quote Likes