Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 AM   #81  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRialsView Post
Wanted to add a story: Over here, we have what are called Camel spiders--they are as large as dinner plates. They will not hurt you, but they like to be in the shade; like in your shadow. If you move, they will follow your shadow; if you run, they will run after you trying to follow your shadow!!!!! If THAT doesn't get your heart pumping, NOTHING will !!!!!
When my husband was deployed he sent back pictures of those camel spiders. I am terrified of spiders and couldn't even look at the pictures. I have never seen a spider that is so big. I told him that there isn't a shoe big enough to kill one! The spider would pick up the shoe and carry it away! LOL

Kathy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #82  
Gabfest Goddess

Gross! Granny I'm guessing those were the 3 little white buckets in the $1 spot that are wrapped? We bought a ton for my sister's wedding favors back in May. Didn't find anything as interesting as you did (just some that weren't painted all the way!)

<--Wishing I was cruising (Caribbean Princess, May 2010)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #83  
Crimping Master

OK I'm going to join in since I'm in the company of many, many arachnophobics. I lived in a duplex near Ft. Riley in 2002. Not a good year for me. That apartment was like the deadly plagues of Egypt! I had a cricket infestation (to this day I can't STAND the sound of a cricket chirp), had 2 night crawler earthworms in my hallway (how the H did they get all the way into the middle of the apartment??), and 1 mouse my kitty killed (her finest hour since usually she can't even kill a bug).

But the piece de resistance was I got bit by a Brown Recluse. How do I know for sure?? I caught the dang thing on my pillow and sent it to an entemologist (yes I am a nerd). I found a website that said "send me your spiders" so I did. I was actually his first confirmed bite and my pic might be in a medical journal somewhere.

I feel blessed since the dang thing bit me on my lower eye lid (I could see little fang mark-type bruises) but since it was a juvenile male it's the least toxic of recluses. What luck I was just sleeping in my bed. Needless to say I had nightmares of seeing a spider coming down it's web slowly slowly getting closer to my face... ugh! For about a year I would wake and find myself standing next to my bed breathing like I'd just run a 400 meter sprint! Nothing like a little PTSD! The nightmares lasted about 3-4 years but thankfully after I married I didn't jump out of the bed anymore. DH would just say calmly... "you're ok there's nothing there". The bite did damage the bone around my eye some and thankfully it rarely hurts. For years every time I got a cold it would just throb. I realize it could have been soooo much worse!

Enjoy the pic... I smiled since if I didn't try to laugh at the situation I would have cried my EYE out (the other one swelled shut for 5 days!!!) Lesson to be learned... don't have a bed skirt that's how they can get in your bed. (but not the only way ooooohhh!)

Enjoy the attached photo and feel free to laugh. It is in my Army shirt so I'm not looking super girly plus it's really hard to put on makeup with only 1 eye.
Attached Thumbnails
Spider In My Target Buckets....-spider-eye.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 06:55 PM   #84  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spiders

I am curious to here what the outcome of your spider in the target buckets will be. I would have never thought to send it off - smart move!

Here is my creepy/crawly story I want to share with you: Several years ago my husband and I were in bed asleep when all of the sudden I felt something crawling on my face. I woke up right now and reached up to my face to grab what was there. The room was dark so I didn't get to see it - but I grabbed it and threw it across the room. It was huge! It was a handfull! I sat up and turned on the light and tried to find where it was, what it was and kill it. It was gone - I couldn't find it. My husband (now ex-husband) yelled at me to turn the light out he was trying to sleep. So I couldn't look for it very long. I never did find it. We had a wood-burning stove at that time - I would carry the wood in and stack it beside the burner. I think I had carried it in with the wood. I think that it was on the ceiling and spun a web down to get on my face. I was afraid of carrying in wood with spiders in it after that - but if I didn't carry it in the fire would have gone out. My ex wouldn't carry it in. Needless to say I had trouble sleeping for awhile after that. I also purchased a wheelbarrow so I could load the wood in it and bring it up to the house rather then carrying it up in arm loads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 07:07 PM   #85  
Die Cut Diva

Default Spiders

Rachel, I am so glad that you are doing okay now. You said that your bite was the first comfirmed bite from the Brown Recluse - so does this mean that they don't normally bite? You were asleep - what would have made the spider attack and bite you? Has the entemologist been able to give you alot of information on this spider and the reasons for it biting you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivi's MommyView Post
OK I'm going to join in since I'm in the company of many, many arachnophobics. I lived in a duplex near Ft. Riley in 2002. Not a good year for me. That apartment was like the deadly plagues of Egypt! I had a cricket infestation (to this day I can't STAND the sound of a cricket chirp), had 2 night crawler earthworms in my hallway (how the H did they get all the way into the middle of the apartment??), and 1 mouse my kitty killed (her finest hour since usually she can't even kill a bug).

But the piece de resistance was I got bit by a Brown Recluse. How do I know for sure?? I caught the dang thing on my pillow and sent it to an entemologist (yes I am a nerd). I found a website that said "send me your spiders" so I did. I was actually his first confirmed bite and my pic might be in a medical journal somewhere.

I feel blessed since the dang thing bit me on my lower eye lid (I could see little fang mark-type bruises) but since it was a juvenile male it's the least toxic of recluses. What luck I was just sleeping in my bed. Needless to say I had nightmares of seeing a spider coming down it's web slowly slowly getting closer to my face... ugh! For about a year I would wake and find myself standing next to my bed breathing like I'd just run a 400 meter sprint! Nothing like a little PTSD! The nightmares lasted about 3-4 years but thankfully after I married I didn't jump out of the bed anymore. DH would just say calmly... "you're ok there's nothing there". The bite did damage the bone around my eye some and thankfully it rarely hurts. For years every time I got a cold it would just throb. I realize it could have been soooo much worse!

Enjoy the pic... I smiled since if I didn't try to laugh at the situation I would have cried my EYE out (the other one swelled shut for 5 days!!!) Lesson to be learned... don't have a bed skirt that's how they can get in your bed. (but not the only way ooooohhh!)

Enjoy the attached photo and feel free to laugh. It is in my Army shirt so I'm not looking super girly plus it's really hard to put on makeup with only 1 eye.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #86  
Crimping Master

Kate~
I was that entemologist's first confirmed bite within his study. People kept sending him spiders but they were usually hobo spiders or something completely unrelated. Yes they usually are reclusive (hence the name) but lucky me I had a crazy teenage boy spider out to cause some ruckus... well I showed him! The spider researcher thought it was odd but it wasn't unheard of for one to bite without provocation. I guess I just looked tasty! Most people that get bit by them were cleaning a closet, garage or attic and disturb them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kraftykateklosetView Post
Rachel, I am so glad that you are doing okay now. You said that your bite was the first comfirmed bite from the Brown Recluse - so does this mean that they don't normally bite? You were asleep - what would have made the spider attack and bite you? Has the entemologist been able to give you alot of information on this spider and the reasons for it biting you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #87  
Forum Fanatic

OK, I WASN'T afraid of spiders (especially) but NOW I will be having nightmares about them...ewewewewwwwwww! I find it interesting that the arachnophobes are the ones who seem to encounter the most spiders unexpectedly! The worst thing that has ever happened to me was one in a shoe...
Rachel, that is one terrible bite owie! : (

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 07:59 PM   #88  
Die Cut Diva

Default Spiders

Rachel, Thanks for the info. Leave it to a male to cause problems!!! Everyones stories have been interesting but I don't think I am going to be able to sleep tonight. I keep thinking I have something crawling on me. You haven't seen any of them since, have you?

Quote:

Kate~
I was that entemologist's first confirmed bite within his study. People kept sending him spiders but they were usually hobo spiders or something completely unrelated. Yes they usually are reclusive (hence the name) but lucky me I had a crazy teenage boy spider out to cause some ruckus... well I showed him! The spider researcher thought it was odd but it wasn't unheard of for one to bite without provocation. I guess I just looked tasty! Most people that get bit by them were cleaning a closet, garage or attic and disturb them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 02:43 AM   #89  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterPixieView Post
I am SO not clicking on that link! LOL!!
it's a big stick bug, looks like 3 sticks on the ground, you would never know it was a bug if they didnt tell you !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 02:48 AM   #90  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Kate~
i live in the suburb of st louis and i lost my dog to a brown recluse bite, i live by st louis airport and my dog got bit while in the back yard by the shed!!! i kill every spider now i dont care!!! they are going to die !!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 11:14 PM   #91  
Kookie Creator

I'd like to thank you all for your fascinating stories....there's something about stories about creepy crawlies that you just can't turn away from, even if you are deathly afraid of them. I'm fairly scared of spiders, bees, wasps, scorpions, the small spiders don't bug me if they aren't on me. Anything bigger than a quarter (legs and all) is definite terror material and flying stinging things.....forget it. I've awakened my husband before in the morning as I was getting ready for work to kill a spider that I thought might surprise me if I let it get out of site. I had one that did get out of site, one minute it was in the bathroom and then next it crawled across the hall to the door frame of the guest room where my work clothes were hanging. Something made me check the clothes and as I cautiously lifted the leg of my pants hanging on the hangar, there he was, the little B**tard, on the other leg of my pants. Luckily I had another pair ironed and ready to go. I left my husband a note to get rid of the spider when he woke up and then interogated him later to find out if he actually saw the spider when he shook them outside (yes he had and he killed it).

Anyway, the real reason I'm posting is because after reading this post the other day, two days later I had a nightmare about the big wolf spider that someone kindly posted early on in the forum. There were lots of them and they were about as big as a large mans hand, to me they look like tarantulas and there were several of them in my bedroom. I was so scared in my dream and even after they went away I was still concerned that they might just be hiding.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your scariest moments with insects.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #92  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

If anyone is still reading this thread, I have a spider story to add. When I was about 8 or 10 yrs old, we were visiting my grandmother. We would always find these big hairy black spiders in the bathtub of the guest bathroom (guess she never went in there) and various other places in the house. Anyway, it was late in the summer and really HOT and muggy in the house with no air conditioning. I was sleeping on the couch without any covers on, and a little twitch on the back of my leg woke me up. I didn't move at first, but then I felt it again and again. So I reached back to scratch my leg, and put my hand right on top of one of those big hairy spiders!! I brushed it off of me, bolted off of the couch and turned the light on. There it was on the middle of the floor crawling back to me!! Well that was the end of that spider's life. Needless to say, I couldn't go back to sleep because I felt twitches everywhere that I thought were spiders. So I spent the rest of the night sitting in the bathroom (checked for spiders in the tub first) with the light on cleaning my Dad's razor with a toothpick!!
Luckily, I don't have an irrational fear of spiders, but I don't like them crawling on me unless I invite them to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 11:41 AM   #93  
Kookie Creator

I feel like things are crawling all over me right now. Why in the world did I read this entire thread?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 05:53 PM   #94  
Gallery Gazer

Geez, I had to read the entire thread too and on Halloween eve!
I'm really creeped out!
I hate spiders and centipedes and millipedes...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #95  
Die Cut Diva

Default Spiders

Hey Granny Hawkins, Have you heard anything yet about your findings in the bottom of your buckets? Just curious!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granny HawkinsView Post
I posted this in Everyday Chit Chat but thought some of you may not ever go there....

When I was unstacking/unwrapping the buckets($1.00 Spot) I found a web,spider(dead) and what looked like eggs in the bottom of one of the buckets.

I know it could have come from Target's warehouse but since they were made in and shipped from China the thought hit me that maybe the Dept Of AG might want to see it.

I think weird stuff sometimes.

I called them yesterday and they DO want me to send it to them.

I packed it's little carc-a-s-s in a hard plastic case with the paper towel I wiped it out of the bucket with,boxed it up and it is waiting to go to the PO.

I put that bucket aside and did not use it.

They told me to include a note with all my info on it and asked to be contacted with the results.

No telling when I will hear from them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2008, 02:22 AM   #96  
Die Cut Diva

bump to hear from Granny Hawkins

My Gallery
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=52833
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2008, 04:26 AM   #97  
Matboard Maniac

I don't do spiders. (literally, and not so literally for those with their minds in the gutter, LOL)
anyway, I sit here, wiggling all over the chair b/c I think I have spiders crawling all over me now. BUT then, the make it worse, all these names of spiders, I go off and open new tabs to google them and see what they look like.

I've hence learned a few things.
1. that camel spider is scary as H#&L. The thing has 10 legs.
2. Those banana spiders are huge too. and ugly
3. dont' google spiders when no one is awake to tell me it's just on the computer screen, LOL

okay, Granny, give us an update when you can. I've been following this and can't wait to see what comes of it.

Take Care,

~Kana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #98  
Mad Swapper

Yes, we are all waiting for the "news". G :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2008, 06:01 PM   #99  
Rubber Obsessor

More brown recluse info...

My dad was bitten before I was born, while he was sleeping. It made him very ill, he lost a big chunk of flesh on his back, and has a scar about the size of a half dollar to this day (it happened over 30 years ago). It isn't uncommon for people to bit in their sleep.

Did I mention I absolutely abhor spiders?

We killed about 10 brown recluse spiders in my elementary classroom during the course of the 2007-2008 school year. *shudder*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2008, 06:13 AM   #100  
Cardstock Collector

Yikes I would have freaked too! Hope, but not expecting, you hear back.

Let us know.

liz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 04:33 AM   #101  
Die Cut Diva

Default Spider In Target Buckets

Hi Granny Hawkins! Don't leave us hanging!!! Let us know what you know! Have you heard anything yet about the spiders yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granny HawkinsView Post
I posted this in Everyday Chit Chat but thought some of you may not ever go there....

When I was unstacking/unwrapping the buckets($1.00 Spot) I found a web,spider(dead) and what looked like eggs in the bottom of one of the buckets.

I know it could have come from Target's warehouse but since they were made in and shipped from China the thought hit me that maybe the Dept Of AG might want to see it.

I think weird stuff sometimes.

I called them yesterday and they DO want me to send it to them.

I packed it's little carc-a-s-s in a hard plastic case with the paper towel I wiped it out of the bucket with,boxed it up and it is waiting to go to the PO.

I put that bucket aside and did not use it.

They told me to include a note with all my info on it and asked to be contacted with the results.

No telling when I will hear from them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #102  
Rubber Obsessor

Any word????

Another spider story... I got bit by a spider on Saturday! I was scared to death it was a brown recluse, but when I saw my Dr. yesterday he confirmed it WAS indeed a spider bite (and not MRSA) but NOT from a brown recluse.

The spider was inside my shirt when I put it on (I hadn't worn the shirt since last winter). So, I would like to recommend that all of you be sure to shake out any clothing that has been in the closet or a drawer for a while to make sure there aren't any creepy crawlies inside!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 07:31 PM   #103  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by momerath42View Post
More brown recluse info...

My dad was bitten before I was born, while he was sleeping. It made him very ill, he lost a big chunk of flesh on his back, and has a scar about the size of a half dollar to this day (it happened over 30 years ago). It isn't uncommon for people to bit in their sleep.

Did I mention I absolutely abhor spiders?

We killed about 10 brown recluse spiders in my elementary classroom during the course of the 2007-2008 school year. *shudder*
My mom was bit by a brown recluse in her sleep, too! It was about 5 years ago, and her spot (on arm) healed after a hospital stay and several months. I see you're in Missouri, like me. We are prime real estate for them. I saw one statistic that said 80 - 85% of the houses in Missouri and Kansas have them....shudder...

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #104  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Lots of great recluse info on this site. We have used these traps since my mom's incident. They are especially effective since chemicals actually hinder spider control - the spiders prefer to prey on dead bugs and are not affected by the chemicals.

http://www.brown-recluse.com/

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 11:23 PM   #105  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp_mommaView Post
Lots of great recluse info on this site. We have used these traps since my mom's incident. They are especially effective since chemicals actually hinder spider control - the spiders prefer to prey on dead bugs and are not affected by the chemicals.

OMGoodness
I went to that site and saw what the bites look like holy moly batman!! What a dangerous spider!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 02:57 AM   #106  
Insane Embellisher

That's creepy... any new updates?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:43 PM   #107  
Kookie Creator

I'm so glad i stumbled on this thread at bedtime. Even though I hate spiders, my curiousity of course led me to read the entire thread. I'm wide awake now, and it seems as though things are crawling all over my body. This summer we were vacationing up in Canada and we found a Dock Spider which was probably the size of an outstrectched hand...palm and fingers included. OMG! One of the men dangled his fishing lure infront of the thing and it JUMPED up and wrapped its legs around the lure and wouldn't let go. He had to submerge it in water to make it release. Apparently they swim or breath or something too. I'm afraid to swim in the lake now for fear one will latch on to my body.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 06:20 AM   #108  
Die Cut Diva

I hate spiders too - yet I can't seem to stay away from this thread! Ever since I read this I always think I have spiders crawling all over me. Maybe I'll feel better once I know what Granny Hawkins found out!?!?!?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimplyStampin123View Post
I'm so glad i stumbled on this thread at bedtime. Even though I hate spiders, my curiousity of course led me to read the entire thread. I'm wide awake now, and it seems as though things are crawling all over my body. This summer we were vacationing up in Canada and we found a Dock Spider which was probably the size of an outstrectched hand...palm and fingers included. OMG! One of the men dangled his fishing lure infront of the thing and it JUMPED up and wrapped its legs around the lure and wouldn't let go. He had to submerge it in water to make it release. Apparently they swim or breath or something too. I'm afraid to swim in the lake now for fear one will latch on to my body.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 06:34 AM   #109  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

OK, I have to chime in with my spider story. Years ago, I used to live in a mobile home in Michigan, and one night I went into the bathroom around midnight, and there was the biggest danged spider I've ever seen on the ceiling (funny how those suckers stand out against a white background!). I hyperventilated, and ran out of the trailer. My neighbors lights were on, so in a panic, I ran over and pounded on the door. It took a whlle for her to answer, but she got her husband and he went over to deal with the spider. (I stayed at HER place until he came back) He came back and said he'd killed it, and flushed the remains, so I was safe. Next day, I was talking to the neighbor, and she said she'd asked hubby if it was as scary as I'd said, and he told her it was the biggest damn spider he'd seen since Vietnam!
(ps- the really funny part is I interrupted them having, shall we say....marrital relations? See, spider removal is more important than sex!!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 06:37 AM   #110  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
OK, I have to chime in with my spider story. Years ago, I used to live in a mobile home in Michigan, and one night I went into the bathroom around midnight, and there was the biggest danged spider I've ever seen on the ceiling (funny how those suckers stand out against a white background!). I hyperventilated, and ran out of the trailer. My neighbors lights were on, so in a panic, I ran over and pounded on the door. It took a whlle for her to answer, but she got her husband and he went over to deal with the spider. (I stayed at HER place until he came back) He came back and said he'd killed it, and flushed the remains, so I was safe. Next day, I was talking to the neighbor, and she said she'd asked hubby if it was as scary as I'd said, and he told her it was the biggest damn spider he'd seen since Vietnam!
(ps- the really funny part is I interrupted them having, shall we say....marrital relations? See, spider removal is more important than sex!!!)

Sounds like you had great neighbors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 06:58 AM   #111  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

I really did! I was bummed when they divorced and she moved!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 07:32 AM   #112  
Kookie Creator

I like spiders.....not when they are crawling on me but I do find them fascinating. Sick I know.
My oldest brother Allan loved spiders. He had a spider that spun its web in between two sawhorses that he had in the gargage. He made sure that his wife and two boys knew not to move the sawhorses and disturb the web. He would sit out there at night to have a drink and unwind and watch the spider ......different strokes for different folks right?
My older brother passed away five years ago . He was only 55 . The odd thing is that the summer he died, this huge spider ( I think they are called cat spiders here in Alberta) took up residence just above my front door. It spun its web under the front porch roof. During the day it would hide above the door, all you could see would be part of its long legs but at night it would hang in the web ......very cool. I left it alone and of course gave it a name, Big Al, which was my brother's nickname. We have had a spider there every year since and it just makes me think of my brother and how he was fascinated by them as well. I know it is odd but somehow comforting.

Nancy
So many stamps....so little time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 07:35 AM   #113  
Pearl-ExPert

So my DH and I move into our first house 5 years ago. This small, dilapidated, wonderful old house...that was in need of serious tlc! We had to replace pretty much everything (and still working on it!). It was full of drafts and we used to get lots of visitors...ants, spiders, ladybugs, crickets...nothing larger thank goodness!

So one night after putting the baby to bed, we retired to the sofa to watch tv...only illuminated by the glow of the tube as we liked to do each night before bed. We also liked to have a snack to round out the evening! I went to the kitchen to get the previously opened package of Oreo cookies and two glasses of milk. We dunked and ate, and ate and dunked, until we had our fill. I sat back and noticed that it looked like my milk was moving inside the glass. I got up and turned on the light to find that there were dozens of tiny red ants not only floating on top of the milk, but crawling all over the inside and outside of the glass. Then we both looked down at the package of Oreo cookies...yep, covered in ants! We both turned a bit green and got up to brush ourselves off, clean up the cookies and milk, and get a drink to wash away any "residue". Then we laughed hysterically! I mean, they were so tiny we didn't see them, feel them, or taste them!

When I called the exterminator and spoke with his office assistant ( a guy!) he freaked out! I still laugh when I tell people the story and see the look of disgust on their faces! I don't like bugs crawling on me, but I don't really mind them, and I try never to kill them. That doesn't mean that I don't scream if they surprise me though!

I hope this doesn't ruin Oreo cookies for anyone

Danielle Kennedy

My Blog
Power Poppy
A Day For Daisies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2008, 05:35 PM   #114  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvcat22View Post
Guess that just proves fruit is dangerous...should stick to individually wrapped chocolates...LOL
You are my kinda lady !!!!!:-D

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #115  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp_mommaView Post

Like the proverbial train wreck ~ I just had to take a look . . . ewww! Those poor people! How do I get THOSE images out of my head. Now I've gotta go and read the first post. I don't like spiders, but I think Spiderman is great. :rolleyes:

I'm not a complete idiot ~ some of my parts are missing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2008, 07:31 PM   #116  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpkennedyView Post
So my DH and I move into our first house 5 years ago. This small, dilapidated, wonderful old house...that was in need of serious tlc! We had to replace pretty much everything (and still working on it!). It was full of drafts and we used to get lots of visitors...ants, spiders, ladybugs, crickets...nothing larger thank goodness!

So one night after putting the baby to bed, we retired to the sofa to watch tv...only illuminated by the glow of the tube as we liked to do each night before bed. We also liked to have a snack to round out the evening! I went to the kitchen to get the previously opened package of Oreo cookies and two glasses of milk. We dunked and ate, and ate and dunked, until we had our fill. I sat back and noticed that it looked like my milk was moving inside the glass. I got up and turned on the light to find that there were dozens of tiny red ants not only floating on top of the milk, but crawling all over the inside and outside of the glass. Then we both looked down at the package of Oreo cookies...yep, covered in ants! We both turned a bit green and got up to brush ourselves off, clean up the cookies and milk, and get a drink to wash away any "residue". Then we laughed hysterically! I mean, they were so tiny we didn't see them, feel them, or taste them!

When I called the exterminator and spoke with his office assistant ( a guy!) he freaked out! I still laugh when I tell people the story and see the look of disgust on their faces! I don't like bugs crawling on me, but I don't really mind them, and I try never to kill them. That doesn't mean that I don't scream if they surprise me though!

I hope this doesn't ruin Oreo cookies for anyone

My dh ate a pizza like this. He had a slice about half gone when he noticed his arm was tickling. Turned out to be little black ants all over the pizza. He didn't want to throw out the pizza so he put it in the fridge, waited until the ants were cold and dumped them off, then finished the pizza. Ewwww....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2008, 07:31 PM   #117  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default ugh!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn DView Post
I worked in a grocery store for years when I was in high school, college and grad school. There was this one time I was bagging some bananas and this spider about at big as my hand came out of the bunch when they were picked and packaged. I of course screamed and ran away as fast as I could. It was a banana spider and it must have been an egg in the bunch. The produce guy came and killed it and the store had to send it to the Department of Ag. It was the nastiest thing I have ever seen and it gives me a creepy feeling just thinking about it. I'm glad your spider was deceased.

yucko!!! I somehow started in at the bottom of this thread and have been working my way backwards. Yes, apparently I am weird...reading spider threads alone at night AND doing to in reverse!

But the first thing I thought of was a story my old biology teacher told us when I was in high school in the early '70's. He had worked at a grocery store too and when they were unloading/uncraing the bananas he said he saw the world's biggest spider come crawling out so apparently this can happen sometimes but yech!!! I do know that I am always careful whenever I am digging around to find "just right" bananas at Sam's Club! They come wrapped in plastic bags but sitting in the wooden cases.

And Jenn...once again I have to tell you that I demo'ed your great LAAT with the offstamped oval line of trees and the big red ribbon again this month for my WS projects. They all love it every single time! I've sold several sets of it just from demo'ing it, they don't even have to use it themselves! You rock! Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #118  
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabbyscraperView Post
i live in the suburb of st louis and i lost my dog to a brown recluse bite, i live by st louis airport and my dog got bit while in the back yard by the shed!!! i kill every spider now i dont care!!! they are going to die !!!!
I had a cat that spent 2 days in "kitty ICU" from a black widow bite. Spiders within any wall of my house/garage or gazebo DIE. If they are on the plants where they belong, they get to live, but they go where I GO and they DIE.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2008, 03:03 AM   #119  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponygirlView Post
My dh ate a pizza like this. He had a slice about half gone when he noticed his arm was tickling. Turned out to be little black ants all over the pizza. He didn't want to throw out the pizza so he put it in the fridge, waited until the ants were cold and dumped them off, then finished the pizza. Ewwww....
Oh, now I don't feel so bad!!! That is funny and gross!!!!

Danielle Kennedy

My Blog
Power Poppy
A Day For Daisies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 09:28 PM   #120  
Die Cut Diva

Any word yet Granny Hawkins?
Reply With Quote Likes