Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-04-2014, 08:43 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daisy trimmer a carcinogen!

I bought a Daisy Trimmer Dial-A-Cut from WM. It says "great for school" on the front. It has 8 different cuts, scores and perferations. It's a little picky to use, but to have all those cutting options on one tool is awesome!
Problem: the first thing I saw when I opened the package was the insert that says: State of California Proposition 65 Warning!
This product contains chemicals know to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or othed reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling.
What in the world?
I called the company (Royal) and was told if I used it a lot to wash my hands afterwards, but for occasional use, I didn't need to. Or I could return it to the store.
I think this is outrageous that a 100 year old company would put a product on the market that contains chemicals that can cause cancer etc.
I love the concept, but have to return it as I have 5 children and am afraid to touch the thing myself. I hope WM, sees fit to take it off the shelves.
I haven't been able to find any similar product in my local stores. If anyone knows of a similar paper cutter, that doesn't cause cancer, I would be grateful to know where I can find one.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Default paper trimmer

I bought a couple of similar WR trimmers, but haven't tried them yet. One has separate cartridges and the other has a dial that you change.
I didn't see a warning and I read packaging pretty carefully.

HTH

QUOTE=melissasue1968;20830135]I bought a Daisy Trimmer Dial-A-Cut from WM. It says "great for school" on the front. It has 8 different cuts, scores and perferations. It's a little picky to use, but to have all those cutting options on one tool is awesome!
Problem: the first thing I saw when I opened the package was the insert that says: State of California Proposition 65 Warning!
This product contains chemiccancer, birth defects, or othed reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling.
What in the world?als know to the state of California to cause
I called the company (Royal) and was told if I used it a lot to wash my hands afterwards, but for occasional use, I didn't need to. Or I could return it to the store.
I think this is outrageous that a 100 year old company would put a product on the market that contains chemicals that can cause cancer etc.
I love the concept, but have to return it as I have 5 children and am afraid to touch the thing myself. I hope WM, sees fit to take it off the shelves.
I haven't been able to find any similar product in my local stores. If anyone knows of a similar paper cutter, that doesn't cause cancer, I would be grateful to know where I can find one.[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

California's labelling requirements and consumer protection rules are pretty strict; you'll find that warning on a lot of products and wonder why it's there. I'm surprised you haven't encountered it before.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #4  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Everything I've bought in the last few years has that warning on it. It's basically the same as having no warning now - I don't even see it I'm so used to it. It's probably on my organic broccoli.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2014, 12:16 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I agree, I have a lot of products that have had that labeling about California.

With me being a cancer patient, I watch everything that I consume. I also began watching what I handle. With that being said, I doubt seriously that you will have any issues, but I would handle and wash my hands with care, just to be on the safe side.

I do know that California has a much more strict labeling policy then here in Colorado and Colorado is pretty strict. I never paid it too much mind until I got sick. BUT, I don't stop buying and using things. I'm not eating it.... so, I'll still use things, but always with caution. That wouldn't be a cutter that I would give to a young person though. It's most likely full of BPA and there is another one similar to BPA. I would keep it out of direct sunlight for any length of time.... again, just to be on the safe side.

BTW, to those who worry about these things, the only zip type of baggies that is BPA free are the Target brand. Yes, since my illness, my family is extraordinarily careful what we put our food in. Glass or BPA free. (stepping off my soapbox now)!! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I just bought my son a duffel bag and the first one I had in my hands had that label on it! Took me by surprise. I bought a different one that had no warning but wondered why they would put lead in a canvas duffel bag!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I just bought my son a duffel bag and the first one I had in my hands had that label on it! Took me by surprise. I bought a different one that had no warning but wondered why they would put lead in a canvas duffel bag!
Any metallic embellishments on it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I don't remember. The zipper for sure but I don't remember anything else but the logo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

It seems sometimes that the State of California has found that everything in the universe causes cancer. I did chuckle though - we got a new refrigerator yesterday (I'm totally in love with it). When I sat down to read the operating instructions, one of the first warnings was that the State of California had found things in our fridge to cause cancer, and to wash hands after handling...

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #10  

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbenjamView Post
It seems sometimes that the State of California has found that everything in the universe causes cancer. I did chuckle though - we got a new refrigerator yesterday (I'm totally in love with it). When I sat down to read the operating instructions, one of the first warnings was that the State of California had found things in our fridge to cause cancer, and to wash hands after handling...

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #11  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denverkat276View Post
I agree, I have a lot of products that have had that labeling about California.

With me being a cancer patient, I watch everything that I consume. I also began watching what I handle. With that being said, I doubt seriously that you will have any issues, but I would handle and wash my hands with care, just to be on the safe side.

I do know that California has a much more strict labeling policy then here in Colorado and Colorado is pretty strict. I never paid it too much mind until I got sick. BUT, I don't stop buying and using things. I'm not eating it.... so, I'll still use things, but always with caution. That wouldn't be a cutter that I would give to a young person though. It's most likely full of BPA and there is another one similar to BPA. I would keep it out of direct sunlight for any length of time.... again, just to be on the safe side.

BTW, to those who worry about these things, the only zip type of baggies that is BPA free are the Target brand. Yes, since my illness, my family is extraordinarily careful what we put our food in. Glass or BPA free. (stepping off my soapbox now)!! lol
Agree with you about glass - we switched to the made in the USA Rubbermaid glass containers some time ago. But that was common sense, not the long arm of the state of California!

Very hard to find non-Chinese kitchen products these days so I was overjoyed to find those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I know when that law in California was first passed, everything that Fiskars made got that label. The penalties for not labelling something that needed the label were so high that they elected to label EVERYTHING unless and until they could verify that it contained absolutely no cancer-causing chemicals or compounds.

Think about it - sunshine causes cancer; this is proven and verified. But the California Tourism Board doesn't post a cancer warning on their ads with Rob Lowe on a surfboard
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I have yet to enter any public building in CA that does not have that notice posted at the front entrance. I've gotten so used to it that I don't even notice it anymore. If I took it seriously, I couldn't go grocery shopping, to the doctor or hospital and would have to stay out of Micheal's and just about every other place there is. We had a family picnic this year at one of the public parks and the notice was posted at the entrance and also at the drinking fountain and the playground. California has gotten so ridiculous in their posting requirements that the notice is pretty useless.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2014, 02:44 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

All the products labeled that way by California standards, but hey their heavy smog wont do a thing to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2014, 06:07 AM   #15  

Quote:

Originally Posted by diecuts4uView Post
All the products labeled that way by California standards, but hey their heavy smog wont do a thing to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Here's one of the latest absurdities in the California law situation...

A non-profit is suing Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts over the fact that their coffee isn't labeled because of its cancer-causing contents.

It seems that many foods, when cooked to temps above 120 degrees develop a substance called acrylamide. It isn't added...it happens when cooking. And coffee beans contain it when they are roasted.

Therefore coffee should be labeled according to Prop 65. That's the law. And someone is suing over the fact that it isn't.

Never mind that you would have to drink 100 cups of coffee a day to reach the threshold amount that requires labeling.

You'd have to drink over 1000 cans of soda containing caramel color to reach the same threshold. Soda manufacturers even changed the type of caramel color to avoid labeling it as "containing cancer-causing substances."

In my mind the whole warning thing is so overdone as to be useless.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

While I was looking at Christmas tree's, the artificial ones, I notice that they all had the California warning on them. I figured it had to do with the fire retardant on the tree's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #18  

It's complete insanity. Look what this law has done to Ranger packaging. I happen to have one from before and one after. There's actually no room on the new label for the color of the ink.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2014, 06:51 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
It's complete insanity. Look what this law has done to Ranger packaging. I happen to have one from before and one after. There's actually no room on the new label for the color of the ink.

That's actually not a result of the California law. That's part of the new global hazard communications standard that manufacturers must begin implementing in 2015. (Says she who just spent a mind-numbing hour in safety training last week about the new regs so I recognized the pictograms.) (Oh hey! the training actually did come in handy!)

And since it's global every manufacturer will have to start including the hazard pictograms & the hazard keywords (Danger/Warning/Flammable) on all labeling.

My Blog: Purple Place Designs
My Etsy

Last edited by teegee7617; 12-15-2014 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Bummer, I guess if you were intending on drinking it, you have now changed your mind. Isn't it wonderful that you can see your tax dollars at work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkippetView Post
Bummer, I guess if you were intending on drinking it, you have now changed your mind. Isn't it wonderful that you can see your tax dollars at work!
I'd love to have nothing better to spend time and money on, wouldn't you?!

I'm pretty sure I shut my blog down til further notice! Perhaps forever!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #22  

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkippetView Post

Yum - a refreshing citrus alcohol ink sounds delightful! #darn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I won't consume any food from China and I do not by produce from Mexico. I am also leery of any metal items from China as you seem to hear all the time that lead has been found in something coming from China or there may actually be a warning label. One year I purchased a pad of dp from Michael's (made in China) and when I got it home my whole craft room smelled from the paper. No telling what kind of chemicals were in there! Not to say that there may be companies in the gold ol' USA that are sneaking regulated chemicals, etc. into products that they shouldn't!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

The labeling standards for California are so strict and the fines so high that most companies have just started sticking that ridiculous warning on it. You would probably have to actually eat that trimmer before it became at all carcinogenic. Most of the items with that label on it are completely harmless unless you do things with them (like another poster said, drink 1000 sodas a day) no one does or completely misuse them. I don't think you have anything to worry about with your trimmer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2015, 12:26 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by teegee7617View Post
That's actually not a result of the California law. That's part of the new global hazard communications standard that manufacturers must begin implementing in 2015. (Says she who just spent a mind-numbing hour in safety training last week about the new regs so I recognized the pictograms.) (Oh hey! the training actually did come in handy!)

And since it's global every manufacturer will have to start including the hazard pictograms & the hazard keywords (Danger/Warning/Flammable) on all labeling.
Oh my gosh, oh my gosh!!!!! :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Reminds me of the feather boa recall at Michaels... I can't help sarcastically reading it out loud every time I stand in line at the till...

"If exposed to flames such as from candles, matches or lighters, the feather boa could catch fire and possibly cause burns to consumers."

No freaking way!?! 😳

My blog: Organized Craft Chaos | My Etsy supplies shop
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2015, 03:31 PM   #27  

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottitudeView Post
Reminds me of the feather boa recall at Michaels... I can't help sarcastically reading it out loud every time I stand in line at the till...

"If exposed to flames such as from candles, matches or lighters, the feather boa could catch fire and possibly cause burns to consumers."

No freaking way!?! 😳
HAHAHAHA!!!

That reminds me of a photo my sister posts each year of the warning on a Santa hat - remember kids - don't use this hat to climb Mt. Everest or on a construction site!
Attached Thumbnails
Daisy trimmer a carcinogen!-10828128_324169384442740_3935936803758462057_o.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2015, 08:01 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

HAHAHAHA!!!

That reminds me of a photo my sister posts each year of the warning on a Santa hat - remember kids - don't use this hat to climb Mt. Everest or on a construction site!
Or don't use if you're the real Santa? ;) I guess it doesn't have the real Santa mojo in it, LOL.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2015, 08:03 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

HAHAHAHA!!!

Oh, and I just noticed, you have to be 14 and up to wear that Santa hat! Cuz really, those 13 year olds just aren't responsible enough... once you're 14 though, look out world!

*sigh*

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2015, 09:21 AM   #30  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's all because of the ridiculous litigation we've seen in the past 20-30 years (remember the McDonald's hot coffee thing?) every manufacturer is just covering all their bases. California also has the infamous 9th Circut Court, they have made some totally ludicrous decisions over the years.
We both grew up in the San Francisco area and left in 1975 for Oregon. It was a cool place to be back in the day, but now it's expensive and way too crowded in the populated areas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2015, 03:18 PM   #31  
Cardstock Collector

I'm just wondering how any of us survived this long! As kids we didn't wear seatbelts, helmets or knee pads. We played outside after dark without a cellphone! We were given vaccinations and fluoride. Our toys and window sills were painted with lead paint.
So unless you're licking your paper trimmer blade, sucking on the zipper of your backpack or drinking alcohol ink, I think you'll be ok! Common sense people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2015, 08:40 AM   #32  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

I have always wondered why we call it "COMMON" sense, when it is so uncommon for people to have/use any.

I agree, in our litigious society, the manufacturers have to try and prevent any imbecilic law suit by clearly labeling everything. Reference the McDonald's coffee law suit.

Reply With Quote Likes