Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone else notice this?

Hi! I was in Michaels the other day and couldn't help notice that most of the card/Scrapbooking section was on sale and some were marked with clearance prices. Then I was in a Joann's store and there were many clearance items in paper crafting. I love this hobby so I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid but I think I'm seeing downsizing of product at stores. Anyone else see this too?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's just the seasonal cycling of items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Hopefully they are bringing in something new!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2014, 09:09 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I hope it is more about getting new product in but I am not so sure. Michaels rest a few sections and did so in a manner that there is less product in the same space. I can't remember when they got in new punches. I was in a Super J's on Sunday and discovered that when the clearances single sheets of paper recenrlt that they didn't replace it with new stock but instead, have a huge gap minus paper display racks. So sad to see their paper department continue to shrink. I am not a digital sort of so trying to find paper/products often seems difficult.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2014, 01:59 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in Australia and we dont have Michaels but we have lots of cheap stores that have always been great for card supplies and I have seen a definite trend away from this type of stock. They are tending to carry more of the really cheap stuff that people use for their childrens crafting and less and less of the stuff that we eould look for for bargins. So sad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by marimooseView Post
I hope it is more about getting new product in but I am not so sure. Michaels rest a few sections and did so in a manner that there is less product in the same space. I can't remember when they got in new punches. I was in a Super J's on Sunday and discovered that when the clearances single sheets of paper recenrlt that they didn't replace it with new stock but instead, have a huge gap minus paper display racks. So sad to see their paper department continue to shrink. I am not a digital sort of so trying to find paper/products often seems difficult.
I have to wonder if there are many new punches being made? I have not bought a new punch in a while as I have dozens of them already, but I continue to buy new dies. I would love to see Ms/Js carry dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by marimooseView Post
I have to wonder if there are many new punches being made? I have not bought a new punch in a while as I have dozens of them already, but I continue to buy new dies. I would love to see Ms/Js carry more dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2014, 11:22 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I actually have the answer to this because I asked at both Michaels and Hobby Lobby a while back.

Different companies release products around the same times 2-4 times a year,.....anyway, they release their new products and they have to rotate out stuff they've had a while. There were a bunch of new releases last month from many companies, the blogs that I follow were full of them. When they bring in the new items they have to shuffle out old stuff.

This industry isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I got freaked out when I saw a bunch of my favorites on clearance and I asked is there something I should know, and thats when they explained that to me. I can pretty much tell when they are preparing or in the middle of new release.

I notice a lot of project life stuff on clearance and thought for sure it was toast, then realized they were getting ready for the new releases. I just saw a big turn over at my Hobby Lobby with the sizzix dies. They had tons of older ones on clearance and yes, I took advantage of it. Then they put out all these cool new dies and even dies with stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2014, 04:30 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I noticed when Michael's did a renovation on their 3 stores here in RI, the paper crafts areas are WAY smaller and the paper is about half of what is was. Not much new paper, but a lot less. Now J's is renovating their papercraft area. They moved the paper to a corner and haven't put out paper yet, but the area is much smaller. They also clearance a lot of old paper. I really can't remember when either of these stores put out any new paper. It seems to me in the paper craft area, we look at the same stuff for years. I can't understand why these stores aren't buying new items more often. Same goes for HL and ACM. Except for HL, the papercraft sections are shrinking. And Michael's moved it to the rear of the store. Not very convenient. I think it is all about $$$. Happy Stamping...Bobbi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Michael's is working through some financial problems company wide the having not been posting much profits for a while now. I look for them to be in a re-organizational bankrupcy before long if things don't pick up. noticed the number of stores combining and closing? notice the lack of employee's? many managers are actually doing cashier work! and stocking. the Recollections brand is thier own brand you'll be seeing much more of it in comming days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

The recollections brand is a very large reason I stopped spending so much money in there I don't care for their own brand of yarn either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I love the Recollections white paper. It is the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2014, 03:44 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mheartmView Post
I love the Recollections white paper. It is the best.
Isn't it funny how opinions differ? I admit I haven't tried it in a few years, so maybe I need to give it a second chance.

I really liked being able to see all the name branded paper IRL and having the opportunity to buy with the coupon (which may be why I have way too much "stuff" hoarded) and I felt like their own brand looked like cheap imitation but I have heard good things about their cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2014, 06:33 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't really care for much of their Recollections merchandise either. It is a growing trend for companies to have their own brand, more profitable for them, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

As for stores going through cycles of getting in new merchandise - I understand that but these stores are physically shrinking the areas and even when new stock comes it is obvious that they are carrying far less. HL still has a decent sized scrap department but even they on the most recent reset took a full length of an aisle and filled it with the paper craft letters. I don't really associate that with that department and it simply requires less merchandise to fill a large area. I am glad that I stockpiles too much in the good old days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

My local Micheal's actually has not shrunk their paper crafting area,they've added some new products recently.They have rearranged a bit and moved the Spellbinders dies (all old ones) into an end cap display. The stuff that is in clearance right now seems to be the Martha Stewart items, I'm assuming they're getting ready to restock with new items.

My local Joann is a completely different story,however. The paper crafting section used to take up about 4 entire aisles and along the side wall next to the aisles. Now, the single sheet paper is gone except for about one quarter to one third of what was there. No big deal,they're paper was not cute and ancient! They've cleared out the side wall and moved everything into the newly made space in the aisles. Now, blank canvases, acrylic paint and brushes occupy the side wall. Joann was never my go to local store, but I'm disappointed just the same. They certainly would sell more if they would get new items once in a while and not once every few years.
I remember a long time ago, the local manager told me that Joann was planning on shrinking the scrapbooking section because sales were down. I told him that they needed to freshen up the section by selling some things that are less than the five year old stuff they keep hanging onto! He didn't seem to appreciate my comment,but hey, I was being honest!
Now, I mostly shop online for my supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where would you buy your paper on line? What web sites do you buy from? I like to touch and see my paper before I buy it, and I admit that I tend to like the Tim Holz type of paper which is expensive.

I do snatch up some supplies at Micheal's if they go on sale, but would not pay full price for it. It's just not stuff that I 'Have to Own' - you know, that stuff you see and you immediately start to think of all the things you could do with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

When I said I liked the Recollections brand white paper I was referring to the 8.5 x 11 110LB. white or ivory(cream) paper sold in pkg. of 100 sheets. It is 12.99 but, of course, we use a coupon. It is perfect for using with Copics, and the best for card bases. A friend, who knows all about paper, says it is the same as Neenah Crest, but much cheaper. Since I discovered this paper, I never use anything else. Please try it. You'll love it. Happy Stamping...Bobbi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
Where would you buy your paper on line? What web sites do you buy from? I like to touch and see my paper before I buy it, and I admit that I tend to like the Tim Holz type of paper which is expensive.

I do snatch up some supplies at Micheal's if they go on sale, but would not pay full price for it. It's just not stuff that I 'Have to Own' - you know, that stuff you see and you immediately start to think of all the things you could do with it.
I buy most of my card stock from Papertrey Ink. Gorgeous colors and it's thick 110 lb weight. I've also bought from Gina K. Great quality,too.

For patterned paper, I but from A Cherry On Top, Blue Moon Scrapbooking and sometimes Emma's Paperie. Great service from all three.

I would love to see and touch before I buy, but with no LSS in the area, I'm stuck ordering instead. Total bummer, if you ask me!:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2014, 03:52 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Although I don't think paper crafting will go away, I feel it is still trending down rather than up. Stores seem to be giving more attention ( and space) to other craft categories. I can't help but notice the deadness and lack of creative energy I feel when I go into the craft store. Nothing really new and innovative in ages. I'm sure the independent companies and online stores have hurt the brick and mortar stores. But those stores have also hurt the the craft companies by producing products like Recollections to drastically under cut their sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree with Kristi that Joann's stores are out of touch concerning paper crafting. Their single-sheet section is not worth walking down to isle to check out, and their devotion to Die Cuts With a View is VERY limiting to shoppers who don't like their style. Their online shopping is GREAT and they often have 40-50% off including paper pads that are Not DCWV. I'm in Tulsa, OK, and we have 3 Hobby Lobby's in the area, they have become more trend-conscious recently and have great sales + coupons. I'm not in love with their store brand "Paper Studio" papers. Michael's recently built their 3rd store here with a HUGE focus on papercrafting. They have very few 6 x 6 paper pads and display them no where near the other papers! I generally shop online for those, but I get frustrated when online stores don't reveal the products very well. I find I must go to the product producers' websites to see what the product really is. Local stores would get more business from me if they kept more current on products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2014, 03:06 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

The same thing is happening with our JoAnn's store in Winchester. Haven't been to Michaels enough to notice. I got a bunch of supplies at Joanns on 75% clearance like Memento pens and Tim Holtz spray bottles. I don't know if they are going to refresh or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2014, 03:54 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Joanns on line carries a lot of craft supplies, far more than the stores. I am not getting their ads lately. Wonder if that is a problem also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

My local Michaels appears to no longer carry any Spellbinders dies - first they were moved to an endcap, now I can't find them anywhere. But they've added a bunch of Sizzix Framelits and some new Lifestyle Crafts that I like better, so . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayInFLView Post
The recollections brand is a very large reason I stopped spending so much money in there I don't care for their own brand of yarn either.
I agree. I don't care much for the Recollections brand paper, other than the 110-lb white cardstock (which I love very much).

The paper and embellishments seem stale and lower quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindac007View Post
Michael's is working through some financial problems company wide the having not been posting much profits for a while now. I look for them to be in a re-organizational bankrupcy before long if things don't pick up. noticed the number of stores combining and closing? notice the lack of employee's? many managers are actually doing cashier work! and stocking. the Recollections brand is thier own brand you'll be seeing much more of it in comming days.

I hope this is not the case. I do like Michael's despite their flaws. I find it easier to shop than Joann's and Hobby Lobby. It's great for a quick trip to pick up something I need immediately.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

They just opened a Michaels by me and I was SO excited..we have not had a craft store in my area in decades...till I got there.

I dont know who buys their single sheets but old isnt the word for it. Bad choices is to me. They dont have some pretty basic stuff. The stamp part was tiny. Maybe it was 2 aisles? Now it's true that store isnt a big one but still.

I just got the recollections 110 lb and it's pretty good in the hand. (Not the 65) It also comes in black btw. I havent used it yet though. I didnt know that is the house brand.

Joann's and HL both have strong online going on. Michaels has nothing basically. I got annoyed with Michael's when they cancelled the rewards program. All my points went into the trash. That's not right to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Buying paper:

I understand why people want to touch the paper. I prefer that too, but if you are only looking for layering weight...I get single sheets at Scrapbooking for Less. Now the trick with her is this: she flat ships at 7.95 in a priority box. So I build up a huge wishlist and then put in a big order so it only adds cents to a sheet-which I usually get at 50 cents a piece. (she usually sells two at a time so 1.00 is 50 cents each) When she has a sale...that's great. Which is pretty often. Plus she is a tiny business so I like that. It isnt the newest patterns-she seems to be getting overstocks? But a lot of it is cute and she has chipboard and other stuff. There is flocked and transparents. Only twice was the color off. Once she sent the wrong paper because the codes and pics were mixed up. I mentioned to her only so she could fix it, I like her and for a 1.00 I didnt care much-but she sent me replacement pages for free in that big box.

I've gotten a bunch from scrapbook.com as well. They package it really well.

Now a new place I stumbled across....scrapbookpaper.com...they can have really low prices (though min qties/sheets and a min of $10 total) but their shipping is obscene! They wanted to charge me $19 on a priorty box-I dont know one that costs that much and I was not ordering that much as a new company to me! I thought it was glitch...but it happened again...both times I just dumped out the cart and left. :mad: What a waste of my time!

Does anyone else know this company? What do you think? I was so shocked I was going to ask about it here.

Always interested in more places though!

What I find hard about paper online is judging pattern scale since I only make cards. I am much improved though. (count the number...12 in a 12 x 12 is going to be around an inch and so on-not perfect but works a lot) I dont like the pads. Too many pages I would never use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2014, 11:56 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

I am so happy to see other stampers are liking the 110lb Recollections cardstock. If you haven't tried it yet, give it a try. Wonderful is a word I use. Great for Copics and general card bases. 12.99 (with a 40% coupon it is 7.79 plus tax). And it is wonderful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 12:57 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ailhelenView Post
I am in Australia and we dont have Michaels but we have lots of cheap stores that have always been great for card supplies and I have seen a definite trend away from this type of stock. They are tending to carry more of the really cheap stuff that people use for their childrens crafting and less and less of the stuff that we eould look for for bargins. So sad
I'm in Australia too and definitely noticed the same thing. I used to see lots of Martha Stewart products at Spotlight (which is a large chain store) and when I was there a few weeks ago, all the MS stuff was gone. And like you said, lots of cheap stuff - which is often poor quality in my experience. There is alot more wool/yarn and things related to knitting/crochet (I don't mind as I am an avid knitter/crocheter). I think with a much smaller range of papercrafting products, it doesn't make it worth the trip to some of these stores because I just can't get what I need because for eg: they still haven't replaced the red cardstock that they ran out of more than a month ago - so frustrating!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 02:43 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

This is something I have wondered about a little too. We have a Michaels, Joanns AC Moore and Hobby Lobby nearby - I quit bothering to go to them for papercrafting much years ago - It seemed to me that when i first started I found a lot of stuff to get because I didn't have ANYTHING but in the 7 years I have been obsessed with paper they have not gotten a whole lot of new stuff in. Recently Michaels and Joanns have been decreased the size of their papercrafting area and moved it from the front of the store to the back. However, I think it is a sign of alot of other things and not that papercrafting is going away. It does seem that srapbooking is fading some and card making is taking over. I see it in blogs and challenges.

I think it is more a factor of the internet taking over and I think it is effecting every aspect of shopping - I do 100% of my scrapbook shopping online. I know what I want and how it looks because of all the people online that have used it in the gallery here and on blogs. The chain stores never carry the trendy brands and new stuff and I guess it's because it is cost prohibitive - the industry has exploded in the last several years. Yet I went to our annual scrapbooking convention and it was about 1/4 the size it has been in past years. the class offerings were also slim - you can take so many online now of just read blogs and watch you tube for free. As long as companies keep coming out with so much stuff I say it must not be dying out. They are still coming out with new stuff far faster than my wallet can possibly keep up with.

BTW I do my paper shopping at A Cherry On Top and have for the 7 years I have been papercrafting - they never disappoint! As for needing to touch it - I have companies I have been buying from for years so I know what I am going to get with them and if I am wondering about a pattern I can do a google image search and see lots of projects made with it. Now if I could just figure out what people do with the cute little matching stickers...lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 05:43 AM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member

Maybe we are not vocal enough in the chains like Michaels to let them know we want more product? We know we can go home and online it.

Martha stuff is weird. It's like it has a set lifespan. I have seen her stuff come and go in other stores too. Like she had a line of dishes at Kmart. Gone in under 2 years I think it was. Of course it's also what sells. MS craft stuff is expensive even with sales.

I was thinking the same thing about DP but they carry 2-3 dollar glitters and stuff. I suspect the problem is DP is space gobbling unless you use spinner racks. I personally think that is what they should do. Spinners with a specific mfg.

I worked in the buying dept for a big chain (not crafts)...it is very labor intensive to keep small items like DP in if you have many different kinds and for little return. You have to stop and check levels and place orders for every single color in every single store...for a 59 cent item. See what I mean? Even if they make 49 cents each, it is not attractive to a buyer. You can set auto re-fills but those can be slow to actually happen depending on the number of trucks a store gets in a week. Stores themselves technically should be able to do short orders to fill gaps but who knows what the rules are there.

On the other hand...that is exactly the nature of a craft store...a gazillion small items!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #32  
Inking Addict

Joann Fabrics and AC Moore has reduced scrapbooking/stamping inventory.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Check this out - it's a very interesting report about craft industry statistics. Easy to read, and the numbers might surprise you in the different categories:

2012 State of the Craft Industry | iCraftopia

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Maybe we are not vocal enough in the chains like Michaels to let them know we want more product? We know we can go home and online it.

Martha stuff is weird. It's like it has a set lifespan. I have seen her stuff come and go in other stores too. Like she had a line of dishes at Kmart. Gone in under 2 years I think it was. Of course it's also what sells. MS craft stuff is expensive even with sales.

I was thinking the same thing about DP but they carry 2-3 dollar glitters and stuff. I suspect the problem is DP is space gobbling unless you use spinner racks. I personally think that is what they should do. Spinners with a specific mfg.

I worked in the buying dept for a big chain (not crafts)...it is very labor intensive to keep small items like DP in if you have many different kinds and for little return. You have to stop and check levels and place orders for every single color in every single store...for a 59 cent item. See what I mean? Even if they make 49 cents each, it is not attractive to a buyer. You can set auto re-fills but those can be slow to actually happen depending on the number of trucks a store gets in a week. Stores themselves technically should be able to do short orders to fill gaps but who knows what the rules are there.

On the other hand...that is exactly the nature of a craft store...a gazillion small items!
Oh, believe me. Michaels was/is very aware of this. When I worked at Mikes, employees have to fill out a piece of paper with that days stats on it. Bottom of form is a spot for employee suggestion that has to be filled out or you were not able to leave work. At least that was the "rule" were I worked.

Being a card maker myself, I always suggested more stamp set. Told the management that the stamp sets were old and can we get New/Different companies in stock.

Response was is that Mikes has to order from large enough companies to supply stock to all Mikes. They can not order from small independent companies as these companies could not produce stock needed to fill all Mikes.

I also requested price scanners for customers use out on the floor til my very last day of work.

We employees are asked all the time for in-put to "Better" the store or customer service.

In the year and a half I worked there, I NEVER saw the company or management implement any employee suggestions.

It also saddens me to see after the "Michaels Renovation" in most stores that stock has literally be cut in half. I even find myself walking out of Mikes to find my craft supplies else where now. I don't shop there like I did before I was employed at Mikes. Could be the lack of stock or maybe it's the way I was treated when I work there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

I just got back from a different Joanns that I almost never get into as it is on the opposite side of town. Anyhow... they have downsized tremendously and they have some sections that are empty because of clearance and I really wonder if it will be restocked with new merchandise or the space filled with other merchandise. I walked down one aisle and turned the corner to walk down what was the paper aisle - once upon a time. That aisle is now filled with teacher classroom supplies and 1/4 of the aisle is single sheets of paper. That aisle was two sides of paper recently. If I needed paper I would be in a world of hurt. The next two aisles were still scrapbook supplies but at least 2/3 of one was all clearance. I don't see these moves even being card maker friendly. OH - all their card supplies, envelopes and such are 70% off clearance. Anybets on if a new line is coming?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I saw PAPERBACK NOVELS in my ACMoore recently......whaaaaatttt?!?!?!?!??
And their papercrafting section was significantly reduced. They're sneaky about it too, they rearrange the whole store and change/reduce the stock. I have ACMoore, Michael's, and JoAnn's relatively close. Anymore, seems I have to visit ALL 3 to complete a shopping list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

i'm surprised because the craft industry seems to be pretty solid in this economy. What's going on?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

My LSSs are far superior in paper selection and quality. True...you have to pay a little more per sheet but I'd rather support small business and get papers I can't get anywhere else. I also prefer Stampin Up! Card stock for stamping and card making. The quality is great and I like being able to take the guessing game out of matching inks and papers, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #39  
Proud Fan Club Member

Sigh. After over 20 years in retail on all sides of the table...I cant tell you how many employees, including myself, have had that experience Leslie. Many companies plaster posters in employee space with "We care"....and then do nothing....often not even acknowledging a suggestion was ever made.

I am sorry to hear you did not like the experience of working for Michaels...I think many of us have that little fantasy...work for a craft place and get discounts and hang out with stuff we love...

But it is different when the spending public starts complaining. Especially with letters up the chain since managers in the stores get only so much FB potential themselves.

It IS true that national chains have to choose vendors who can meet that demand. Little vendors who step and try...cant handle the returns if it doesnt move. In fact, it can seriously damage a small vendor (imagine getting back 5000 stamps). To get a large chain to take stuff with "no return"...you would have to offer it to them so cheap that again, not a good idea for the little guy. That is the scariest hurdle for companies...when to make the jump from small to mid to national supplier.

But that does not explain why they have old designs from the big vendors. What that says to me is they are just trying to clear out their own warehouses. Hero constantly releases new designs for example.

Simon Says is very smart to me (if expensive) because they have obviously hired designers for their own brand that are staying on trend. I have been impressed by their house designs. They dont look like cheap knock offs.

Michaels surprises me. They have no online presence to speak of so cutting back in the stores (to me) sounds like they are really putting on the breaks. At least Joanns and Hobby Lobby do sell online.

The problem is this is a self-fulfilling issue. They start carrying less, we stop buying and therefore they see less sales in the dept and cut back more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #40  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post

The problem is this is a self-fulfilling issue. They start carrying less, we stop buying and therefore they see less sales in the dept and cut back more.
YES, that's exactly the problem! And I find that at these similar types of chain stores in Australia that they aren't looking after the papercrafts aisle - the stock is old, it's messy, it's often damaged, they dump reels of ribbon in a box so you have to wade through a gazillion rolls to find a colour that you are looking for, and they don't replace things they run out of - or if they do, it's cheaper quality. I so rarely have time when I can leave the person I am caring for with someone else to have "totally me time craft shopping" but I just find these places more irritating now than "happy me time" :( esp. if I have to visit several stores to get what I need.

Last edited by JoBear2; 08-14-2014 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: left out a couple fo words
Reply With Quote Likes