Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wonderful chair that is pretty?

I didn't know where to post this question, so if it's completely in the wrong spot, let me know and I'll move it!

I need a chair that has great back support and lots-o-padding because when I sit down to create, I'm usually in the chair for 8-10 hours at a time. My tailbone seems to be impacted the worst, and I feel it for days after the crafting session has ended.

In addition to being ergonomically awesome, I want a chair that's pretty, has a narrow floor profile, is height adjustable, and doesn't cost over $250. I'm not really interested in a DIY situation with the pretty part, but if you can convince me how incredible the DIY chair would be, I'll hear you out!

Ideas? (Pictures are always helpful!)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I don't know how pretty it is (mine are black) but I LOVE my anti-fatigue stools - I have them in my studio tour here so you can see them in the video. Wonderful. I did get the foot ring

Understand Blue: The Great Studio Remodel Video Tour
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

PS I love that quote
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the suggestion, Lydia!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 12:02 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I looked at this Bungee chair off and on for years, and finally sprung for it as my second office/craft room chair in case it wasn't so hot. It's been a couple years and hasn't let me down literally or figuratively. It's easy on my not-so-insubstantial butt, has a gentle springiness, good back support and height is adjustable.

I'm short and stubby. Two cable guys were here a couple days ago and the tall one sat down on it while I checked something on the computer, and said, "Woo!" when he sat down, and asked his partner if he thought I'd notice if they loaded it onto the truck. ; )

It is not an adjust-100-things $800 chair, and it should either work really well - or not. It comes with or without arms. Mine has arms and is... {drum roll and harps} turquoise! LOL. So if you have a Container Store anywhere near you, or even a couple hours away, it might be worth a try? It's $50 off now. And they're really good about returns. If you sign up to be a Pop Star, returns and specials are even easier.

Good luck!

https://www.containerstore.com/s/desks/desk-chairs/12

Just to add the sale ends next Tuesday. And there are a lot of reviews. The first one made me laugh; nice boss!

Last edited by bjeans; 02-21-2017 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: Sale Info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2017, 07:04 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Just noticed someone with a chronically sore tailbone posted a review on page two. Also on two, someone who purchased the chair in 2014 wrote a negative review in 2017, saying it was wobbly. The Container Store posted that they were reaching out to make sure s/he got a comfortable chair - 2+ years later. Good CS.

Your post enabled me though - I'm ditching the old supposedly more ergonomic chair and getting a second bungee chair for my desk. (The bungee is at my craft table.) Do I go turquoise again or silver? I've gone back and forth 25 times. Probably turquoise to have less contrast/noise, since the room is noisy enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2017, 08:39 AM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 848 Likes on 280 Posts

I've been looking for a new chair for quite some time and I'm with the OP, I don't want to spend a car payment plus on a chair. My husband has a FANTASTIC mesh chair that I keep threatening to steal from his office. He's had it for 5 years and it shows no sign of giving out and still looks like new. Unfortunately it's in that large car payment price range and we don't have the personal funds to invest in something like that for my studio.
I really like the look of the bungee chairs and it comes in some great colors. All I have to do is decide between the turquoise, pink, or green. My studio is aqua with bright pink and orange accents, and a small splash of lime(ish) green, and white trimwork/storage.
I'm leaning towards the green, I think. I need comfort and I need it now. Thanks for sharing the link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Sure. I think the green and pink only come in the armless one. It may not be identical in size or feel - it looks different to my eyes - so you might want to read the reviews. (I haven't.) I don't remember if I sat in it.

If you're not near a Container Store let me know and when I pick up my second chair, will sit in the armless one to see if it's similar. The arms don't get in my way at all, and are nice to rest my elbows on, but if you like the feel of the one with arms, but don't want arms, I may have read you can leave them off?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2017, 05:12 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

I picked up the second bungee chair. My old high-backed, black desk chair was okay, but the odd, perferated back fabric grabbed dust and every bit of cat hair on earth, and was so difficult to clean.

The bungee is smaller and sleeker, makes the room look happier. So thank you to the OP and others for the enabling, since I wouldn't have otherwise known about the $50 off sale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Another vote for the bungee! My husband and I bought bungee chairs for our home office almost two years ago. They have held up really well and we both find them comfortable. (He uses the arm rests, I chose to go without so that I could more easily reach to grab supplies.)
But then I gave mine to our 17 yo about 6 months ago to replace his annoyingly squeaky desk chair. So I guess that means the next one I buy needs to be bright pink so I don't 'lose' it ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 04:16 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 934 Likes on 855 Posts

Wow everyone this thread came just in the "Nick of time". I'm currently looking into a second chair that is not too expensive. My chair is fine, don't even know the brand since my son gave it to me but the extra one I have for friends and grandkids to use has broke and I need a new chair that will be comfortable enough for adults but comfy for kids too. I'm going to check into this bungee one but wonder if there are any other suggestions out there? Not sure I wanted a small profile chair.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 04:31 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Susan, the one with arms isn't as small a profile, and the seat is larger than the armless one. Unless you want one that overall is more substantial, higher back, wider arms, etc. More elegant and less... bungee? : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 05:24 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Staples also currently (at least it did as of Saturday) has a sale on its chairs, there are a couple ergonomic ones that are between $60 and $120. And they are fun colors like purple and red.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 07:20 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default A different idea

Here's something that might help the tailbone pain. I call it a butt donut. It's an oval shaped cushion that has a cutout in the middle (think of the number 0 with a smaller hole in it and thicker lines.) Mine is a hard foam.

I've had mine for 20 years and I'm not sure if it's even made anymore, but I know I need a new one since I've just about worn it out.

It works well for the tailbone, sciatic nerve pain, FWIW.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KelbelpcsView Post
I didn't know where to post this question, so if it's completely in the wrong spot, let me know and I'll move it!

I need a chair that has great back support and lots-o-padding because when I sit down to create, I'm usually in the chair for 8-10 hours at a time. My tailbone seems to be impacted the worst, and I feel it for days after the crafting session has ended.

In addition to being ergonomically awesome, I want a chair that's pretty, has a narrow floor profile, is height adjustable, and doesn't cost over $250. I'm not really interested in a DIY situation with the pretty part, but if you can convince me how incredible the DIY chair would be, I'll hear you out!

I picked up an old, leather, wood and steel based office chair for $5 at Salvation Army a few years ago which is very comfortable and well used. It will do for now, however I luv this chair (found at IKEA) but it's more than what I want to spend on a chair, at least for now...
SKRUVSTA Swivel chair - Idhult white, - IKEA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 08:52 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

I saw that chair at Ikea too when chair and Alex hunting! I thought it was so pretty, but it wasn't comfortable - no back support and it didn't hit far enough forward on my thighs. Different bodies (big bootie here), different chairs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 11:44 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperCaperCraftingView Post
Staples also currently (at least it did as of Saturday) has a sale on its chairs, there are a couple ergonomic ones that are between $60 and $120. And they are fun colors like purple and red.
I'd personally steer clear of office supply store chairs! While I do have one that has lasted several years, most of them have died within a couple of years. I tended to get them on sale, so I figured a $100+ chair (on sale for maybe $60) would last. Nope! Typically, the pneumatic height adjustment stopped holding, and I would slowly sink towards the floor. Sometimes, not so slowly--ouch! I finally broke down last summer & got 2 from Amazon.com. They were listed at $300+, marked down when I got them to (I think) about $130+. Yes, kind of pricey, but so far, they've held up. My feeling is, if you spend $60-$70 every year or 2 for a new chair because your old one didn't hold up, you aren't saving anything over buying a more expensive chair that will hopefully last a long time. Granted, I've only been using my chairs for about 6-7 months, but--fingers crossed--they will continue to hold up! Just my two-cents worth. I would also recommend, if you go by reviews like I do, not trusting much if the reviewer has only had the chair a month or 2--or even less. I just don't think that's helpful info for whether the chair is going to hold up in the long run.

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KelbelpcsView Post

Be sure you read the ratings on how much time you can spend in the chair per day. Cheaper ones are typically rated for 1-3 hours/day. Just a tip!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2017, 04:57 PM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Default About those bungee chairs...

Anyone thinking about the bungee chairs from The Container Store, there is more setting the two chairs apart than just arms. The chair with the arms has wider, flat bungee cords, while the armless has thinner, round bungee cords. I have had two of the armless one for about two years now and I think they're great--very supportive. But if I knew I was going to sit for 8-10 hours, I would probably want the one with the arms just because of the flatter bungee cords. Not sure about this, but you could probably take the arms off that one if you desired.
Reply With Quote Likes