Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-31-2017, 11:08 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is sookwang tape used for?

Thank you very much.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 11:28 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

no idea, but I want to check to see if someone replied so I could find out if I needed some :rolleyes:

I will see if I can find anything out from the wonderweb and report back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 11:30 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

from Simon Says Stamps

This tape can handle anything!It is acid free, double-sided (great for card making and applying pictures onto scrapbook pages!), and heat resistant (perfect for when you just have to use that Heat Tool!).

It is pretty much score tape but maybe a bit stickier and can handle beads etc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 11:47 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am pretty sure it's exactly scor tape-- sookwang is the manufacturer in South Korea.

You can see the blue "sookwang" printed pretty clearly in this listing on Amazon for scor tape sheets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 01:19 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I have seen people use it on card as a base to hold glitter.

Here is the youtube video:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 01:51 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It's the same thing as Score Tape, just a different name.

I use it when I want a stronger hold than I can get with my ATG gun, like holding the flaps of boxes, or when the piece I want to attach is small, and my tape gun is unwieldy.

You can also us it to apply foil and glitter accent lines to your cards. Just run a piece of tape across, remove the liner and apply glitter, or press foil down.

Here is a video from the Frugal Crafter showing the foil technique:

https://thefrugalcrafter.wordpress.c...-foiled-cards/

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 03:10 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is scor tape. It is super duper strong. I use it in place of tape runner in cases where I want a stronger hold. I find I need a stronger hold with embossed cardstock, adhereing foam, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 04:54 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Despite being wonderfully strong, it's very easy to tear, though I often cut it. It also comes in many widths, which is handy.

SCOR-TAPE | Scor-Pal
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 05:54 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Aside from using as a strong DS tape...

If it is heat resistent...I *think* that means you could do heat emboss with it? Like stripes, words or small die cuts...?

Even with glitter...it is kind of like a HM sticker?

I would need to confirm that though....has anyone done this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 06:09 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Aside from using as a strong DS tape...

If it is heat resistent...I *think* that means you could do heat emboss with it? Like stripes, words or small die cuts...?

Even with glitter...it is kind of like a HM sticker?

I would need to confirm that though....has anyone done this?
HM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2017, 05:51 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
HM?
Hm indeed. That makes me tilt my head and ask if I apply Sookwang tape to a piece of paper and die cut it with the tape covering still on it and then pull the covering off and put embossing powder on it and apply heat what would it look like? And is there a way to die cut just the Sookwang and then apply it to card? Or am I over complicating things?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2017, 06:08 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by southgirlView Post
Hm indeed. That makes me tilt my head and ask if I apply Sookwang tape to a piece of paper and die cut it with the tape covering still on it and then pull the covering off and put embossing powder on it and apply heat what would it look like? And is there a way to die cut just the Sookwang and then apply it to card? Or am I over complicating things?
The backing is so easy to remove, and the tape so sticky, I'd be afraid to run it through my die cutting machine. IOW, some backing might pull off and/or the die could get mucked up.

Occasionally I've inadvertently pulled/cut a bit of the sticky part of ScorTape off its backing, and it reminds me of the little globs that hold gift cards, etc. to surface they're adhered to, though ScorTape adhesive is much stickier, of course.

OTOH, if people have done this successfully, ignore my fears. (Not that I will. Chicken.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2017, 06:38 AM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
The backing is so easy to remove, and the tape so sticky, I'd be afraid to run it through my die cutting machine. IOW, some backing might pull off and/or the die could get mucked up.

Occasionally I've inadvertently pulled/cut a bit of the sticky part of ScorTape off its backing, and it reminds me of the little globs that hold gift cards, etc. to surface they're adhered to, though ScorTape adhesive is much stickier, of course.

OTOH, if people have done this successfully, ignore my fears. (Not that I will. Chicken.)
Never had the sticky part of ANY brand of double sided tape come off on the die when I run it through the BS. That being said, I am careful to add "dust" (the kind used to keep embossing power from sticking where it's not wanted), on any tape that extends beyond my cardstock. By that I mean, if the tape is wider than the cs that I'm running through the BS, I make sure to de-stick the adhesive that is exposed so that it doesn't stick to something important.

I actually have found that I like the super strong double adhesive tape better than Stick-it for the back of really intricate dies. The release paper on the tape is thicker and easier to grab than Stick-it release paper. Just last week I used Stick it on a really detailed die with tiny flowers and skinny Stems. It took forever to get the stick-it release off the back because it kept tearing in tiny pieces. Drove me nuts!!! By the way, there was not a speck of adhesive that remained on the actual die after it was run through the BS. If it was going to happen it would have happened with this very detailed die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2017, 06:51 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Have you tried ScorTape? If so, that's great it works.

StickIt is my go-to to run through the machine, never any problems with adhesive sticking to the die, like you said.

I'm just imagining the thin ScorTape I have - five widths from 1/8" to 5/8". Wider would be needed for a die. But maybe with an extra wide piece or full sheet the backing wouldn't be a problem, less likely to shift than with a narrow strip.

ETA ScorTape - which I do love - is the only double sided tape I've used that the adhesive can be pulled off of a bit. Not that it's a problem when using it. I'm not explaining it well, but that's the only reason for my concern.

Last edited by bjeans; 06-01-2017 at 07:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2017, 08:32 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Have you tried ScorTape? If so, that's great it works.

StickIt is my go-to to run through the machine, never any problems with adhesive sticking to the die, like you said.

I'm just imagining the thin ScorTape I have - five widths from 1/8" to 5/8". Wider would be needed for a die. But maybe with an extra wide piece or full sheet the backing wouldn't be a problem, less likely to shift than with a narrow strip.

ETA ScorTape - which I do love - is the only double sided tape I've used that the adhesive can be pulled off of a bit. Not that it's a problem when using it. I'm not explaining it well, but that's the only reason for my concern.
Scor-tape comes in many widths. I got 1 1/2", 2", 5/8", 1/2" & the skinny sizes too. I can combine widths of tape to get the size I need. It does come in really wide widths (maybe 4"?) but I decided I would use these narrower tapes for multiple uses, rather than just die cutting.

Best prices I've found for scor-tape is scrapbookpal.com They have free ship for orders over $25, ship out fast and typically have a freebie as an incentive. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2017, 08:36 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

PS: Regarding observation that scor-tape sometimes separates from adhesive. This will not occur if you gently burnish the freshly placed tape with your finger BEFORE removing release paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2017, 08:44 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Exactly, I was saying that wider widths would be needed, which I don't have. I piece together too, and may spring for wider, but so far no need. (Now that I've said that, I'll need it.) It even comes 8.5x11 sheets, 6x6", 5" and 6". Gets a bit spendy at the huge sizes. Sometimes ScorPal has sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2017, 08:47 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
PS: Regarding observation that scor-tape sometimes separates from adhesive. This will not occur if you gently burnish the freshly placed tape with your finger BEFORE removing release paper.
Agree, I burnish. It's more happened when a bit has stuck out beyond the card stock and I go to snip it off, or when I'm tearing it and pull a bit, that kind of thing. When not being 100% careful.

Another tip an instructor swears by - though I'm not 100% sold yet! - is after burnishing, pulling off the backing from the middle of the adhered strip, not the end. Do you - or any others - do that?

Last edited by bjeans; 06-01-2017 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2017, 07:30 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't seem to have very good luck with 'score tape'! I used it on a couple of cards and about 6 months later the pieces were loose and fell off. Everything underneath was shinny as if the sticky part had just dissolved. Don't know why but there it is.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2017, 03:36 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Default My current best use for Sookwang tape

Quote:

Originally Posted by larueView Post
Thank you very much.
Hey larue, so back to the original question. I have a ton of this stuff (bought it thinking I could use it on die cuts). I don't use it for that, but I find it very handy for adhering water color panels.

I tape my wc paper down before doing any painting, but I still get warping. Not a worry with the Sookwang. That stuff is so strong, it straightens out any warping to make my paper lay flat. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2017, 04:46 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
Hey larue, so back to the original question. I have a ton of this stuff (bought it thinking I could use it on die cuts). I don't use it for that, but I find it very handy for adhering water color panels.

I tape my wc paper down before doing any painting, but I still get warping. Not a worry with the Sookwang. That stuff is so strong, it straightens out any warping to make my paper lay flat. HTH
binx, you mentioned not liking it for die cutting on another thread (that I can't find at the moment). Was it just difficult to cut through?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2017, 10:57 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love it - used to get it for a really good price from a company that has since gone in a different direction. It's got great sticky strength!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I use it anytime I really need stuff stuck down---especially if it is a difficult spot to burnish Like in putting together boxes) or a surface that refuses to stick (wallpaper, sparkly paper, highly textured paper). I have it in widths 1/8" to 1/2" but I just saw in this thread it comes in sheets! Where can I get this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
I use it anytime I really need stuff stuck down---especially if it is a difficult spot to burnish Like in putting together boxes) or a surface that refuses to stick (wallpaper, sparkly paper, highly textured paper). I have it in widths 1/8" to 1/2" but I just saw in this thread it comes in sheets! Where can I get this?
Scor-Pal carries it in all widths, and sometimes has sales - they had 20% off in late April and recently a 10% off sale, so you might want to get on their mailing list. Maybe others have sales and full sheets too. : )

Here's the page on their website: SCOR-TAPE | Scor-Pal
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Thank you, beans. I was really hoping for a place to get the sookwang---by far my favorite.

Last edited by jeanne3579; 06-13-2017 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: Sent too soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2017, 12:08 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

binx, you mentioned not liking it for die cutting on another thread (that I can't find at the moment). Was it just difficult to cut through?
Sorry, bjeans, just saw your question. Yes, that's absolutely it. I, at least, find trying to die cut Sookwang (on card stock) an effort in frustration usually ending in a sticky, horrible mess.

Honestly, it's less about the adhesive than the backing paper. Even with just one layer of that, it is just too difficult to cut with a die (shims make little difference). It's more like vinyl than a paper, at least to me.

Last edited by binx; 06-13-2017 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Sorry, bjeans, just saw your question. Yes, that's absolutely it. I, at least, find trying to die cut Sookwang (on card stock) an effort in frustration usually ending in a sticky, horrible mess.

Honestly, it's less about the adhesive than the backing paper. Even with just one layer of that, it is just too difficult to cut with a die (shims make little difference). It's more like vinyl than a paper, at least to me.
I agree about the backing. It's just different than on most double-sided tape - though terrific for what it's meant to do. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2017, 01:57 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I have quite a few small, detailed sentiment dies that I love to use on my cards. They fit on pieces about 1 to 1-1/4" wide. I cut the cardstock into strips and run it through a small Xyron machine that I got years ago. I think they called it the sticker-maker. Then I die cut the sentiments.

The cardstock pieces with the Xyron backing cut beautifully with those small dies, and they are ready to stick on my cards.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2017, 03:31 PM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Bugga, I occasionally use a Xyron too. I have the smallest one and one up from that. I haven't used your method, which makes a lot more sense than what I've done - die cut then run it through. It's worked fine, though if any of the adhesive sticks out, it would be easier to rub it off on a strip than in the middle of a letter. Most of the time I just use Ranger Multi Medium Matte. Thanks for the new methodology.

Last edited by bjeans; 06-13-2017 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: adhesive, not adhesive backing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2017, 05:16 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Bugga, I occasionally use a Xyron too. I have the smallest one and one up from that. I haven't used your method, which makes a lot more sense than what I've done - die cut then run it through. It's worked fine, though if any of the adhesive sticks out, it would be easier to rub it off on a strip than in the middle of a letter. Most of the time I just use Ranger Multi Medium Matte. Thanks for the new methodology.
I used to do that same thing with the Xyron, and sometimes it worked. But sometimes the sentiment would get squashed when I ran it through.

Thanks to a tip from a dear SCS friend, DianeinSparks, I learned to run the cardstock through first and then die cut. Much, much better result. The die cuts are so crisp and clean, and ready to apply.

Before the Xyron, I used a glue pen to apply tiny dots to tiny little sentiments. What a pain!

Reply With Quote Likes