Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-27-2007, 05:08 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marvy Punches vs Nestabilities ---Do we need our punches now?

I have almost all of the Marvy punches and now I'm thinking maybe I should just sell them and just buy all the Nestabilities instead. Can NE1 give me a reason why I should have both? I definitely will eventually buy all the nestabilaities. I like the largest sizes of the nestabilties.

Help me work this out...

Sheila
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 06:00 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I have some of the Marvy punches, 3 sets of the Nestabilities...

I have not hit the groove of the Nestabilities process in my Cuttlebug. The published sandwich recommendations do not work well for me, I have figured out what works well with my machine, but I find the process tedious. I suppose I need more practice! (I use (from bottom up): A C die cardstock chipboard B . This cuts and embosses at the same time...how do I NOT emboss??)

There is nothing as easy as whipping out a punch, flipping it over, inserting your image in and punching it out. But, I have also had a punch stop working recently, and I don't think I got my money's worth out of it.

So, to be quite honest, I don't think you are going to find a cut and dried answer that neatly fits on a shelf! Try one or 2 of each. Stay with what you like, what you use (if you are not using it, what good is it?).

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 07:38 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappingALLView Post
I have almost all of the Marvy punches and now I'm thinking maybe I should just sell them and just buy all the Nestabilities instead. Can NE1 give me a reason why I should have both? I definitely will eventually buy all the nestabilaities. I like the largest sizes of the nestabilties.

Help me work this out...

Sheila
I've wondered this exact same thing. I only have a couple of the punches but was planning on going hogwild and getting all of them. But there's been quite a few posts that say that Nestabilities is a much better, cheaper, option.

What still has me puzzled is whether we're comparing apples to apples or apples to oranges, KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

My Quickutz Revolution could not be easier to use - there is no crazy sandwiching involved. I can store and tote my Revolution and all my nesting dies in one convenient travel train case. I went this route because it is easier to store than the punches. I paid $90 for the Revolution machine, and $16-$20 for each set of nesting dies from QK (depends on the sale or coupon when I bought). So, the cost is competitive and perhaps a bit less than buying individual punches. The Revolution will work with nestabilities, Nichole Heady showed how on her blog, and basically it's just like all the QK dies, so no creative sandwiching.

I have some of the giga punches, which I will keep, because it is so easy to crop photos with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 07:45 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Adding:

The reason I bought a Revolution instead of other machines is because you don't have to do a bunch of sandwiching when you use it. You put the cutting mat on top of the die and that is it! I knew that I would go completely nuts sandwiching with some of the other machines and probably not use them for that reason.

I know that it's not a universal machine, but I really like the QK images and alphas, and knew that the only other dies I wanted were possibly Nestabilities. I also liked the magnetic base, so my dies don't move around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 12:59 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the wizard and the nestabilities and am just starting to play around with them. I'm not giving up my punches! I bought only a few nestability dies and I find them very difficult to use. Even with the magnetic mat it is a hit or miss process whether my cut will come out centered on the image. I would not buy them to just to cut around an image. I think where they shine is embossing. I'm still working on trying to get consistent results and think I need to practice. But for punching out a quick image, you can't beat the speed of a punch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 02:25 AM   #7  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I stamp my image AFTER I cut out the paper though!! I dont' mind the sandwiching I have to do to use mine. I have the entire set and love them when I have time to use them!!! I just have to get some cd cases to store them all in. Punches have been way to heavy and take up to much room for me as I have a very small space for storage of my stamp stuff :(
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 03:54 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

The Marvy punches are great if you are doing a large number of cards...all the sandwiching is time consuming, considering you can only make one die cut of each size at one time. If you add the embossing there is another step and more time. The end result is beautiful, but I save this for when I only want to make one or two cards. Anything more and a punch is what I go for! HTH!

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eyelet..."
Gallery & Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 04:11 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

I have punches in the round and oval shapes and bought a set of nestabilities in the rectangles. I thought this would be a good way to start to see if I like them and not have a duplicate of shape.

Tamara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 04:23 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by koopdedooView Post
I have some of the Marvy punches, 3 sets of the Nestabilities...

I have not hit the groove of the Nestabilities process in my Cuttlebug. The published sandwich recommendations do not work well for me, I have figured out what works well with my machine, but I find the process tedious. I suppose I need more practice! (I use (from bottom up): A C die cardstock chipboard B . This cuts and embosses at the same time...how do I NOT emboss??)

There is nothing as easy as whipping out a punch, flipping it over, inserting your image in and punching it out. But, I have also had a punch stop working recently, and I don't think I got my money's worth out of it.

So, to be quite honest, I don't think you are going to find a cut and dried answer that neatly fits on a shelf! Try one or 2 of each. Stay with what you like, what you use (if you are not using it, what good is it?).

Kathy
Kathy, if you don't want the embossing, you need to lose the chipboard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 06:17 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I have the punches and the Quickutz Cookie Cutters and a Revolution and a Cuttlebug and I'm not selling any of them. I love my punches - they are very quick. I prefer my Revolution over my Cuttlebug, but save my Bug for embossing folders and some other dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 06:23 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have most of the punches. Love them! They are so quick and handy to use. I have a Cuttlebug, and love it, too. However, I don't use it as often as the punches. I have none of the Nesties. I love what they do, but I prefer something more convenient like the punches. If one of my punches wears out, I'll just get another. Different tools work well for different people, so get what works for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

ChattieKathie - I have skipped the chipboard, nothing...no cut!

I have mangled a magnetic embossing sheet (from Ellen's store). I have tried the Wizard Embossing mats (which stretch tremendously comin' through the 'bug, but end up being too thick, my B plate breaks).

If I try just a few sheets of cardstock, the cut does not happened cleanly (kind of wind up with the little areas you get when using the Coluzzle...where you need to snip with scissors).

It has been a challenge...I have tried so many different combos.

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 09:31 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have LOTS of the Marvy giga, mega, jumbo, etc. punches (ovals, circles, squares, rectangles) and I just got two sets of the Nestabliities for Christmas. Like you, I was debating whether I need both the punches and nesties, and I'm still on the fence.

I agree with Kathy that the punches are so much easier and faster to work with (no setting up the Cuttlebug, getting out my cheat sheet with the sandwich recipes, etc.) BUT...I've also had issues with the punches not punching through thicker cardstock and getting stuck at times with even the thinner cardstock still in it. And, of course, the punches don't emboss, which is the primary reason I wanted the Nestabilities (I love the look and can't do it manually anymore because of recurring tendonitis).

So, for the time being I'll keep both, and probably reach for the punch for quicker, smaller projects and use the nesties for larger projects, or when I want a specific size that I don't have a punch for (or I want to emboss).
Maybe down the road I'll sell my punches, but by then will there still be a market??

Sorry, guess I wasn't much help to you.
Psalm 113:3

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

My thought on this is that the punches are much harder for me to find places for. The nestabilities would not take up near as much room.

Becky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 01:49 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

What a great question. I don't have an educated opinion yet. I bought a couple sets of nestabilities recently and will be using them soon. I have all the giga marvy punches that I want (scallop circle, scallop oval, scallop square, scallop rectangle) and I don't think that the nestabilities will replace them because there are pros and cons to each way of doing things. I do like the fact that the nestabilities take up less room and have more size options but then the punches are quick and easy. I may have a different opinion once I start using the nesties.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 02:13 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I have several punches and now have the complete sets of Nesties (large/small; Scallop and Classic) in Circles, Squares and Rectangles. I LOVE the Nestabilities, even if it does take a little more time and I am considering more shapes. I can generally cut through 2 layers of cs with each pass so every time I cut something for a project I end up with an extra. I keep my extras in little baggies sorted by shape and then I go there first to see if I have what I need the next time I make a project.

I love the Nesties also because they save so much space and are less expensive than purchasing all the sizes of punches I would need. I don't plan to buy any more punches but will probably keep some of the ones I already have to use when I'm really in a rush and I can't part with my tag punches, even though I also have some Cookie Cutter dies in tag shapes as well.

I'm planning a big ebay purge in the near future and it will include some of my punches, particularly the older style that don't have the levers and some of the shapes like Christmas tree lights, easter eggs, etc. I just don't seem to use those any more.

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I haven't bought the scallop Nestabilities, but I love my punches simply due to ease of use. I do have a Cuttlebug, but it always takes longer to cut out shapes than pulling out my punches. Plus the punches can be used as weapons if you need to defend yourself. =-)

Smiles,
Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Default cut first, stamp after

Like KAR, I cut first.

I replace the cut piece inside the scrap it came from, tape the edges of the scrap down, then use my stamp-a-ma-jig to get it aligned perfectly.

This really does work as well as a punch, and you can assembly-line it for multiples.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 02:25 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

I don't have either the punches or the nesties. I am looking to purchase one or the other so Has anyone used the Nesties with a regular sizzix machine? does it work okay? What all do you have to use with the sizzix?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 05:05 PM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Nesties with Sizzix

I only have the Sizzix, and that was the only reason I chose to by the Nestabilities...they work with it. The Sizzix will both cut and emboss, provided you have the adapter...the thick magnetic part to make it work with the sizzlets, and you need the acrylic plates (onLy 1) as part of the *sandwich* to make it cut...just like with the Sizzlets. You also need the tan embossing mat, available from Nichole Heady...Papertrey.

I really like that I can stamp first, and since with the Sizzix, you place the paper first, and the Nesty second, you can position the nestie exactly over your picture or stamped image!

I only have one set right now...and will be accumulating all of them as cash flow permits. Love the space saving part! I barely have enough room for all my SU punches, let alone trying to find and accumulate the Marvy ones. They are not available locally, and are so expensive to ship.

Last edited by scrapnextras; 12-28-2007 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 06:50 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

thanks Laura- do you know if the sizzix embossing silicone rubber sheet (used with the sizzix texturz) would work?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 10:37 PM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

I now have all of the nesties except the paisleys and I have decided to sell my Marvy punches on Ebay.
I love using the Nesties and don't have a problem cutting them using the Cuttlebug. I used Nesties for many Christmas cards and it still was fairly quick once I got into working the Cuttlebug quickly. Yes the sandwiching is a little bit of a pain but the benefits of the Nesties outweigh the cons. I love the fact that the can be stored in such a small space compared to the number punches you would need to store for the same number of cutouts.

For me storage space is at a premium and that's why I'm going to sell the punches now that I have the Nesties.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 04:59 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by koopdedooView Post
ChattieKathie - I have skipped the chipboard, nothing...no cut!

I have mangled a magnetic embossing sheet (from Ellen's store). I have tried the Wizard Embossing mats (which stretch tremendously comin' through the 'bug, but end up being too thick, my B plate breaks).

If I try just a few sheets of cardstock, the cut does not happened cleanly (kind of wind up with the little areas you get when using the Coluzzle...where you need to snip with scissors).

It has been a challenge...I have tried so many different combos.

Kathy
Your Bug must be much looser than mine. Maybe a lighter weight chipboard would eliminate the embossing when you don't want it? I haven't had the problems you're having. I hope you get it worked out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 07:26 AM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

I haven't tried this yet but I did read that some people have gotten a rubber gasket from Lowes or Home Depot for 98 cents each that will work for embossing the nesties with a Cuttlebug instead of purchasing the more pricey embossing sheets.

If anyone is interested it's sold as a 6x6 sheet in the plumbing dept. and is the same color as a rubber stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes