Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISO old church hymnals

Hey ya'll...I wasn't sure where to post this, so this seemed as good a place as any!

I am looking for old church hymnals... I would like 2-3 of them -- I am thinking of doing something with them for christmas presents. I have checked all the local secondhand stores here by me, but can't seem to find any!

Any help is greatly appreciated. I will pay for them... plus shipping if someone would just let me know the costs. my zip is 85392.

thanks so much!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a thought - Maybe you could check with some of your local churches and see what they do with their old ones. Or they might even sell you a few.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 05:50 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Have you tried ebay?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #4  
Glitter Queen

That's a good idea..to check with churches..yes I tried ebay and they want like 10.00 a piece or more...and I'm just looking for something cheap. ya know? I will check with the churches and see.... thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our church (a Catholic church) recycles our yearly hymnal at the end of the church year, which is late November or so. Since we just recycle the old ones, they would probably be happy to find someone who could use a few.

You might call some local churches and ask. Perhaps they have old versions that they would just give you free (or maybe a small donation to the church).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Great, thanks, I will ask.. maybe I can call..there is a baptist church right down the road, and one on almost every corner! That's a great idea..thank you! Oh and it doesn't matter denomination or religion...I'm just lookin' for some good ole church hymn pages for projects/gifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by khuffman0121View Post
Great, thanks, I will ask.. maybe I can call..there is a baptist church right down the road, and one on almost every corner! That's a great idea..thank you! Oh and it doesn't matter denomination or religion...I'm just lookin' for some good ole church hymn pages for projects/gifts.
How large do you want the pages? We have quarterly missalettes with songs in the back but they are about the size of a half-sheet of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I often find them at Goodwill or Salvation Army. They are usually very inexpensive as well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2010, 03:41 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

I get all of mine at paperbackswap.com for free. PM me if you want more info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

Diana, the half sheet of paper is PERFECT size!!

The one of who who posted that you get them for free..FREE...I love FREE!!! I will definitely have to check that out...I would love more info!! Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2010, 02:52 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Diana, the half sheet of paper is PERFECT size!!

The one of who who posted that you get them for free..FREE...I love FREE!!! I will definitely have to check that out...I would love more info!! Thanks!!!
I will go ahead and post the "free" info here. I just saw there are two hymnals there now that I would love to have but will leave them for others as I already have many. I love hymnals! Anyway, I get them from Paperbackswap.com. Paperback Swap is WONDERFUL! My girls and I listed about 78 of their older books that they don�t need/want anymore. For each book someone requests, we get a book credit once we ship it to them and they receive it. Then we get to pick book(s) we want that are listed on the site. Currently, there are over 4 million book listed. You don�t pay a thing except the postage to ship your book to the requestor. I use media mail so I never pay more than $2.30. All of the books we have received have been in like new condition (except some of the older hymnals). And you can put �restrictions� on the books you request such as:

Won�t accept books from a smoking home.
Won�t accept books with any writing.

Those are two of the restrictions I have on my account. So that means when I request a book from someone, they can�t send it to me if it doesn�t meet my requirements.

They also have an amazing wish list. If the book you are looking for is not available or there isn't a hymnal you want, add it to your wish list. When it becomes available, they will e-mail you and you can say you still want the book or you can decline it. The only draw back is that new/popular books may take a while to get but older hymnals are pretty easy to come by. I always put things on my wish list anyway because you just never know. I have been pleasantly surprised many times.

We have been doing this for over 2 years now and have never had a problem. We are loving it and have saved $558 as of today on books already. If you want to see it, go to www.paperbackswap.com. If you sign up, please feel free to list me as your referral. My username is Patter. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

P.S. There are TONS of crafting books too. I have gotten some amazing quilting, stamping, and cross stitch books. Basically any book you are looking for is there or can be added to your wish list!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2010, 03:31 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found mine at a local thrift store that's run by a church-based organization - 50 cents to $2 each.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2010, 11:18 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

PM me your address and i'll pop one of our worn out ones in the mail on Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

I found a couple of hymnal books at a local flea market. I'm not sure what to do with them. Khuffman, what are you going to make? I need ideas!!

Thank you Patter for posting that information!! I am definitely going to look into that swap site and will put you as my reference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Well, my idea is to tear the edges somewhat and "sponge" with it and decorate it to frame. Not quite sure how yet, but that's my idea in a nutshell...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I LOVE paperbackswap, and have belonged for years. Patter, you explained it very well! I was looking for some children's books for our classrooms, and two people on there gave me a good deal: 100 children's books for 20 credits, and 25 children's books for 3 credits. Be sure you check out user profiles to see if they offer deals. And it can't hurt to ask for one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the addy. I'll try to mail that tomorrow. You're just over the border, so it should come fast!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by identicaltripletsView Post
I will go ahead and post the "free" info here. I just saw there are two hymnals there now that I would love to have but will leave them for others as I already have many. I love hymnals! Anyway, I get them from Paperbackswap.com. Paperback Swap is WONDERFUL! My girls and I listed about 78 of their older books that they don�t need/want anymore. For each book someone requests, we get a book credit once we ship it to them and they receive it. Then we get to pick book(s) we want that are listed on the site. Currently, there are over 4 million book listed. You don�t pay a thing except the postage to ship your book to the requestor. I use media mail so I never pay more than $2.30. All of the books we have received have been in like new condition (except some of the older hymnals). And you can put �restrictions� on the books you request such as:

Won�t accept books from a smoking home.
Won�t accept books with any writing.

Those are two of the restrictions I have on my account. So that means when I request a book from someone, they can�t send it to me if it doesn�t meet my requirements.

They also have an amazing wish list. If the book you are looking for is not available or there isn't a hymnal you want, add it to your wish list. When it becomes available, they will e-mail you and you can say you still want the book or you can decline it. The only draw back is that new/popular books may take a while to get but older hymnals are pretty easy to come by. I always put things on my wish list anyway because you just never know. I have been pleasantly surprised many times.

We have been doing this for over 2 years now and have never had a problem. We are loving it and have saved $558 as of today on books already. If you want to see it, go to www.paperbackswap.com. If you sign up, please feel free to list me as your referral. My username is Patter. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

P.S. There are TONS of crafting books too. I have gotten some amazing quilting, stamping, and cross stitch books. Basically any book you are looking for is there or can be added to your wish list!

Wow! Thanks for the detailed description and explanation. I found some books cheap for my sister.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 03:13 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
I LOVE paperbackswap, and have belonged for years. Patter, you explained it very well! I was looking for some children's books for our classrooms, and two people on there gave me a good deal: 100 children's books for 20 credits, and 25 children's books for 3 credits. Be sure you check out user profiles to see if they offer deals. And it can't hurt to ask for one!
Linda, how wonderful that you got such great deals! It is an wonderful site for sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 03:14 AM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Well, my idea is to tear the edges somewhat and "sponge" with it and decorate it to frame. Not quite sure how yet, but that's my idea in a nutshell...
My mom and I have been framing hymns for years. They really to turn out pretty. Mom even went as far as getting her company name licensed, etc. They are fun to do! Please share when you get one done!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 03:37 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Patter, thanks for such good info and the link. I am going to sign up. I have a friend who loves to read so I will pass this info on to her. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 03:39 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by identicaltripletsView Post
My mom and I have been framing hymns for years. They really to turn out pretty. Mom even went as far as getting her company name licensed, etc. They are fun to do! Please share when you get one done!
I'd love to see--do you have any pics of your work?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 05:41 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

I have gotten hymnals free from the local church

Also, have your tried Craig's List?

Last edited by transprntbutterfly; 07-09-2010 at 05:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes