Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Default I want to buy the Many Marvelous Markers (SU!)...

but I'm afraid SU is going to change some of the 48 colors like they did back in 2005.

Does anyone know if SU plans to change some of the basic 48 colors?

Do you think the markers are a good buy? A good investment? How do you all like the markers? They're quite pricey, that's why I'm hesitant.

Thanks,
Erin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2009, 10:47 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Erin- I LOVE my SU! markers!!! I bought mine in the individual colour families which was more affordable for me. I am a demo and we won't know of any colour family changes until the new catalogue starts. ( although I wouldn't mind some of the old retired colours making a come back- but that is a personal wish only). I am always in awe of what everyone does with the copics, but find them extremely pricey- thought I needed them until I saw this blog, Julie's blog is amazing!!
http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_...ics-no-pr.html, I doubt I will be buying into the copics when I can do this same with the markers I already have.
There are ways to refill the markers, and if you talk to your demo- with SAB coming up- perhaps you can ask her to run a "marker club" - takes a bit longer to get the markers, but you can learn all the techniques you can do with these!! They are awesome!! and the possiblities are endless. (and during SAB- you earn lots of extras with your purchases too)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2009, 03:01 AM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Received 443 Likes on 299 Posts

Erin,
I have had my SU marker set for years, stored on their side in the container they came in. They are like new!
Keep them away from extremes of heat or cold and they should stay fresh.
The tips are high quality too. I tried markers from craft stores and either threw them away or gave to child. Not worth it. (Not Copics, but inexpensive brands, that is.) DH gave me my SU set for Christmas one year & I love them.

"Jimmy, some of it's magic, some of it's tragic,
but I had a good life all the way..."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2009, 03:12 AM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Erin, I have had my full marker set for almost four years now and feel they are an excellent value. One warning, though. When you receive them, test every tip immediately. Several of mine were not sharp (looked like they'd been smooshed, actually) before I even used them. Had I tested them right away, I could have easily had my demo replace them, but I found them too long after the purchase, and it would have looked like I was trying to scam the company. SU is an excellent company that stands by its product...within the time limit, as it should.

That said, I wouldn't trade my markers for anything. They are soooo useful, and I love SU's coordinated color line so much. I hadn't even thought about them changing any of the 48 colors. There are certainly a few I'd love to see go, LOL! But it is awkward for customers and demos alike.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2009, 05:26 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I bought my markers when my demo was giving a one item 50 percent off incentive for those of us who purchased an over 75.00 order. I think it was a wonderful value and I love the markers. They are worth the full price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2009, 05:31 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have all of the Tombow, which I think make SU! markers. They are the best. I have had mine for over 6 years now and they still work like brand new.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2009, 02:29 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Another encouragement for getting the SU markers - I love mine! I've had them for quite some time now (maybe 4 years?) and they are like new - even though I use them.

I wonder if SU changed colors if they'd offer us an opportunity to buy just the new colors?

I was thrilled to be able to buy the "In colors" this year!

Oh yeah, I also have Tombow markers from at least 10 years ago (maybe longer) and they still work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I would get them too. IF they replace some colors, you could always buy them separately and add on to what you have. They're very versatile.. I love mine. I do love my Copics more, but I like to color in my stamps sometimes, and you can't do that with a Copic.

My only complaint about the SU markers is the brush tips aren't very durable. I'm very careful with my markers, and the brush tips still fray much more so than even my Tombows (which I hear are the same company, but I don't have that problem with my Tombows).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I got my set through a marker club. A family of colors each month. It was the only way I would ever had the whole set. I could/would not of ever had the money for the whole set at one time. They are great for coloring different colors on a stamp, and also you then have every SU color and you don't have to every stamp pad. They are not the best for coloring and shading, as they leave streaks. I know some people have developed a talent and do a great job with SU markers, but I don't think that is the best use for them. Oh, just read the post above about coloring with SU markers on watercolor paper with no lines/streaks!!!! awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I purchased the entire set of SU markers and found them to be a great starting point. I used them often and was very gentle but found the tips to frey easily. I still have my SU markers but have upgraded to the entire Tombow Marker collection. I personally find the Tombows to be better for water colouring (which I do almost exclusivly) as they are inkier and blend easily without drying too quickly - I now save my SU markers for the direct to rubber technique to keep my Tombows in pristine condition.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

i think that is why SU! came out with the 'in color' idea some time ago...

to be able to introduce the 'trendy' colors without feeling the need to retire colors from the core 48.

i think you would be fine to get the set. as a previous poster mentioned... even if they did end up retiring a color or 2 you could always just buy the new ones individually.

i have, use and love my SU! markers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2009, 04:05 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Back in the summer there was an announcement from SU to demos about keeping any in color supplies that were retired or retiring. There was a lot of discussion on both sides of SCS about what that meant. Since it was too late for any potential changes for fall of 2009, it sounds to me like there is a possibility that some of the in colors from past years may be incorporated into the color lineup...possibly in fall of 2010. Whether that means an additional family or replacing colors that are less popular, it is anyone's guess.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2009, 10:10 AM   #13  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Diane, that is what I thought when the announcement first came out, but since they started the clearance with many items with the old in colors I thought maybe the announcement only applied to this. It is anyone's guess though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Most of my customers join one of my Marker Clubs when they are interested in the markers. It's spread out over four months, but they can pay in installments.

I've had my markers since 2005, and I only replace markers as I need to (the kids tend to push a little hard on the tips).

They are one of the best investments I have made.

Stampin' Up! Demo...and lovin' it!!!
I'd love for you to check out my blog: http://www.atouchfromtheheart.typepad.com/
http://www.pattichesky.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

My first real stamping markers were Tombow. I love those markers. I invested quite a bit in them. I wanted those SU markers. I would drool over them when I saw them on blogs or YouTube videos. I waited four years before I bought a set. They are my favorite markers of all time. I still won't part with my Tombows and still use them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for posting my tutorial here

I also have a video tutorial on my blog on refilling your Stampin; Up! markers - SO EASY, and theat makes them more versatile, since you don't have to buy new markers everytime one dries out!

http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_...-your-sta
Old 12-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I wouldn't worry about getting new colors...you can always buy them too!!!! I have some old colors from 1999? and still love them, still use them...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by reneejul1View Post
Thanks for posting my tutorial here

I also have a video tutorial on my blog on refilling your Stampin; Up! markers - SO EASY, and theat makes them more versatile, since you don't have to buy new markers everytime one dries out!

http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_...-your-sta.html
HI JULIE!!
I didn't think you would mind my sharing the link. I love my SU! markers but I was convinced I needed the copics until I saw your blog- (which is an addiction on it's own,lol) - I shared the link to your blog with all my stamping gals here- with great results- I am sure you had quite a few subscriptions launched with that lol. Hugs and thank you so much for sharing your creativity!! Love your gift box tutorial- can not wait to see what you come up with next!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2009, 12:04 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

I bought the full set in the case back when I was a demo. When the core 48 colors changed; I was still a demo. We were able to buy the new markers individually like any other customer, and they offered a new "color chart" that fit inside the marker case. I imagine if the core 48 colors changed the new chart would be offered again. If not, I am sure your demo could come up with one for you!! I'd go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes