Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-30-2017, 07:02 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Full size stamp pads or mini?

I really want to hear your experiences. I like Stampin Up inks and plan to stay with them. But the large pads take up a lot of space. I like the variety of many colors. But, again, large pads take up a lot of space.

I'm considering buying the uninked cubes and filling them with all the colors I have, then getting rid of the big pads. I have a MISTI and think that using a cube instead of the big pad would not be an issue.

So, could you share any pros and cons of the felt vs foam, large vs small that you can think of?
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2017, 07:43 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't made my own, but have lots of minis from several companies, and they've been as easy to use as full-sized pads, sometimes easier, if I want ink on one part of the stamp - less or no masking.

The exception might be easy, fast coverage for a super-sized background stamp, but I haven't tried that. Felt vs. foam hasn't made a difference either.

I like the cost and space savings. Caveat: I don't have any SU inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2017, 07:51 AM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I really like the new uninked cubes and I find myself using cubes more for exactly the reason you state - it's so much cleaner in the MISTI. The difference is linen vs. foam - I do like the coverage the firm foam gives especially on photopolymer stamps, but at the end of the day you can overstamp in the MISTI and overcome inking issues, so I say do what's convenient.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2017, 10:01 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm a firm believer in as-compact-as-possible and I-want-it-all, so I'm mini all the way! I've been eyeballing the new mini Archival Inks and debating whether to bite the bullet and pre-order them. I have a few full-sized pads for colors I didn't have a reinker for (so I couldn't make a mini), but I almost NEVER use them! They sit unloved in a drawer...

I used the Cut'n'Dry felt for my DIYs, and I've loved it. Like Lydia said, with a MISTI (or similar) you can always overstamp if you're not happy with the coverage.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2017, 10:03 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mini

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2017, 10:28 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer the mini pads. They are much easier to use if you are using a MISTI and get less ink on the plastic when inking
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2017, 11:10 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

It's been years since I bought a full-sized SU pad. Now I just buy the reinkers for colours I like, and have lots of mini spots stored in Tim Holtz tins

I love using my minis. So quick and easy, and I can have lots to hand without taking up too much space on my craft table!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2017, 08:20 PM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I'm a firm believer in as-compact-as-possible and I-want-it-all, so I'm mini all the way! I've been eyeballing the new mini Archival Inks and debating whether to bite the bullet and pre-order them. I have a few full-sized pads for colors I didn't have a reinker for (so I couldn't make a mini), but I almost NEVER use them! They sit unloved in a drawer...

I used the Cut'n'Dry felt for my DIYs, and I've loved it. Like Lydia said, with a MISTI (or similar) you can always overstamp if you're not happy with the coverage.
I'm looking at making DIY stamp pads with the Cut'n'dry felt, but I'm not sure how to store them, and if they'll be messy when used - can you please tell me how you store them, and if they are messy to use - thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2017, 08:52 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellabella10View Post
I'm looking at making DIY stamp pads with the Cut'n'dry felt, but I'm not sure how to store them, and if they'll be messy when used - can you please tell me how you store them, and if they are messy to use - thanks
Sent you a private message... ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2017, 11:24 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I have both full size and mini's. Pros & Cons

Mini's :
Pros less space, easy to transport, initially less expensive, no over-inking on the MISTI, prefer foam (no linen marks) than felt

Cons - you can easily overfill, if you edge a lot like I do DTP, the foam will wear out fast and then you have to replace which makes them a little expensive, takes more time to cover a large stamp, you need to find a way to store them that is convenient, take longer to load a stipple brush

Because I have a custom large ink pad storage solution that I love,I prefer the large pads. But if I didn't have my solution I would go with mini's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 02:25 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have full size SU pads and lots of Distress minis. The issue I had with the minis was trying to ink up a blender pad and blend colors on CS. It just didn't work well so I went direct to paper with the mini...it was okay but not the look I wanted. Now, to qualify, I still have the larger Tim Holtz rectangle blender. Maybe if I invest in the smaller round one it will work better with the minis. Comments?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 03:06 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Lots of good advice - my two cents:

I have mostly mini's and ALL of SU reinkers. Makes it so easy to have any color and the small footprint makes it really easy to ink the stamps just where I want. However, for my "basic" colors I have large pads - grey, black , white - because they are ones I most often need larger surface area.

My wish - that the little "spots" would have the new foam as I am really liking it better than linen!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 05:09 AM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by jah636View Post
I have full size SU pads and lots of Distress minis. The issue I had with the minis was trying to ink up a blender pad and blend colors on CS. It just didn't work well so I went direct to paper with the mini...it was okay but not the look I wanted. Now, to qualify, I still have the larger Tim Holtz rectangle blender. Maybe if I invest in the smaller round one it will work better with the minis. Comments?
IMHO no difference between the square or round pads. I feel that the pads are hard to ink up because the Distress mini pads are not that wet. I prefer using a dauber to pick up the ink or use the pads without the handle because I can push the pad harder into the ink pad to pick up more ink. In general, I don't feel like Distress Ink is all that special except for the colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 05:23 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

The round blenders helped me make softer blends without as many lines. I also use finger daubers for smaller areas. I love Distress inks but mainly for techniques and backgrounds, not regular stamping. Though if I need a color and don't have it in another ink, I'll use Distress and can get good impressions - especially if using a Misti to double stamp. I wouldn't use Distress for sentiments (unless really large) or highly detailed images..

Which CS is used is really important too. At a class, we were given small pieces of 6 or 7 different papers/CS and stamped the same image plus used color on some. The results varied hugely; I became a believer in the power of paper. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 09:09 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own lots of large pads and love the new magnetic pads from CTMH and Prima. I like felt and cannot get used to foam. I bought a bunch of the small uninked pads and will only buy reinkers or minis now. The large pads take up too much room. I love to put the round pads in the bottom of the small pad base so it is a storage two for one. I only use Versafine for sentiments so I bought the small pad too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 09:51 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by vestamcView Post
I own lots of large pads and love the new magnetic pads from CTMH and Prima. I like felt and cannot get used to foam. I bought a bunch of the small uninked pads and will only buy reinkers or minis now. The large pads take up too much room. I love to put the round pads in the bottom of the small pad base so it is a storage two for one. I only use Versafine for sentiments so I bought the small pad too.
Wow - I didn't know about the CTMH magnetic pads! I bought one and it was such a pain to open I sold it and never bought any more. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 10:12 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I never could get the rectangular blender pads to work for me. I was frustrated, because I loved the look achieved with blending ink and I really, really wanted this technique to work for me. Then I got the round pads and, Oh my gosh I was suddenly a blending queen. I wanted to do it all the time! I have a mix of the full-size Distress pads and the minis, and it just takes a bit longer to ink up the mini. I started out using inks from Simon Says Stamp, primarily because that's what Laura Bassen was using at the time, and she's a blending genius. Get some round pads and have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
I really want to hear your experiences. I like Stampin Up inks and plan to stay with them. But the large pads take up a lot of space. I like the variety of many colors. But, again, large pads take up a lot of space.

I'm considering buying the uninked cubes and filling them with all the colors I have, then getting rid of the big pads. I have a MISTI and think that using a cube instead of the big pad would not be an issue.

So, could you share any pros and cons of the felt vs foam, large vs small that you can think of?
Diane, I have three of the ink holders that SU sells, and two of them are filled with my SU inks, which I'm very fond of. I also own a bunch of mini inks, from Distress ink, PTI, Versafine, and some others. Much as I like my SU inks and other brands that I have in regular sizes, I'm a klutz when I try to use them with the MISTI. I like to keep things clean, and it's really hard to avoid smudging and such with anything other than a mini pad. My color choices may be limited, but from here on I'm sticking with the smaller size pads and ordering some blanks to expand my palette!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a confirmed mini stamp lover. I find the full sized SU pads to be a bit unwieldy for the way I tend to use ink...so I pretty much use ONLY the unlinked spots now. I buy the refill colors and the unlinked apots and have been very happy. The unlinked spots are cloth covered - so not like th foam in the full sized ink pads.

I also really like the Simon Says Stamps minis and, of course, the Distress minis and refills..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 10:38 AM   #20  

I like both, normal pads and minis. For my distress inks, I love the minis since I am doing techniques with them, I don't need them in full pads. But I like a full pad for normal stamping. But I can see how all minis ink pads would be a space saver, just can't give up my full sized ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm now only buying mini pads. It bugs me when a company only offers their minis in a different formula and in fewer colours (SSS)! I have drawers that fit into my ink storage tower (the cardboard one) and they fit beautifully. I'm getting more and more minis so my larger pads just seem like a pain. Even with larger background stamps I don't find it an issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

I have some of the Distress minis, and agree that, even with the round ink blending tool, it can be hard to get the foam on the tool inked up enough. Especially if you are using a brand new foam, and have to "prime" it to get the ink to blend well. Mostly I have the full-size Distress pads, which I prefer. For stamping, my only real gripe about mini ink pads (both cubes and "teardrop" shape) is that I can tend to get lines on larger images when I'm inking them. Just because the edge of the ink pad creates "voids" when it presses into the ink already on the stamp. It's usually not a big deal if I use my MISTI, but sometimes I otherwise don't really need to use the MISTI--I can do fine with just an acrylic block. So, for consistently even inking, I just prefer full-size pads. I do have the storage issue, though, so it's a bit of a battle/balancing act. I don't know the difference between foam & felt. Most of my ink pads are Hero Arts, Ranger Archival, etc. So, whatever material they use for their ink pads, that's what I have & like!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 04:14 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Good discussion. You all make some great points. I'll have to make a "pros and cons" list.

Keep those thoughts coming!
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 05:25 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

Wow, I'm surprised that most of the replies show a clear preference for the mini pads. While I have all the retired SU spots in pigment and dye inks, and probably about 10 others, mostly Distress, I nearly always reach for my full size pads.
I definitely have too many ink pads, in many different types (Distress, SU, Memento, Colorbox chalk, Brilliance, A Muse, Versafine, Stazon - yikes!), I do use them all for different purposes.
While I do like the minis for use with the MISTI, I can manage to ink up different parts of an image with the corner of a full size pads, or even use markers.
For the full coverage of all but very small images, I prefer the larger pads.
Good luck with your decision, Diane!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 08:21 AM   #25  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by papercrafter40View Post
I have some of the Distress minis, and agree that, even with the round ink blending tool, it can be hard to get the foam on the tool inked up enough. Especially if you are using a brand new foam, and have to "prime" it to get the ink to blend well. Mostly I have the full-size Distress pads, which I prefer. For stamping, my only real gripe about mini ink pads (both cubes and "teardrop" shape) is that I can tend to get lines on larger images when I'm inking them. Just because the edge of the ink pad creates "voids" when it presses into the ink already on the stamp. It's usually not a big deal if I use my MISTI, but sometimes I otherwise don't really need to use the MISTI--I can do fine with just an acrylic block. So, for consistently even inking, I just prefer full-size pads. I do have the storage issue, though, so it's a bit of a battle/balancing act. I don't know the difference between foam & felt. Most of my ink pads are Hero Arts, Ranger Archival, etc. So, whatever material they use for their ink pads, that's what I have & like!

I have the same problem. How do you prime your new blending foams?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #26  
Glitter Queen

Default Full or minis?

I like the minis.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2017, 01:28 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Received 934 Likes on 855 Posts

I seem to prefer mini's. Since I travel back and forth from my summer home the mini's make it easier to bring alot of different colors with me. I wish I had more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I really like the minis but I have 70 full sized ink pads from various companies, mostly Momento, Brilliance and Distress. I very rarely have to re-ink them, (mostly the black ones)...I have 37 mini pads. If I ever run out (in this life time) I will replace with the minis, but I can't imagine what I would do with my large pads (not to mention the 2 holders that I have).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2017, 12:50 PM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockandrollstamperView Post
I have the same problem. How do you prime your new blending foams?
To prime the foam, I just rub it vigorously on the ink pad. The idea is to get it as saturated as possible, so it will glide more easily over the paper. Of course, you still have to tap off the ink onto scratch paper before you actually do your inking, just so you don't have too much on. It's kind of a balancing act, I think. You just have to experiment with how much ink is on your foam to get good effects. HTH!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2017, 04:39 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently bought a set of TH distress mini's and the lids will not stay on. Every time I open the drawer at least one of them is sitting there with the lid off. I am so frustrated, I will never buy these in mini form again.

I already swore off cat's eye shaped mini's several years because they were too hard to close one handed, which is often what I needed to do. Another time I bought a set of mini pads only to find one of the 4 dried up and rock hard. Mini inks and I just don't get along.

Give me full sized pink pads any day because mini's and I just broke up, never to be reunited again ... at least until the next time something comes out in a smaller form and I just have to try it. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2017, 04:53 AM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

That's awful, I'd be disappointed and annoyed. Have you tried contacting Ranger? Their customer service is generally excellent. I have almost every mini Distress ink and have never had that happen. While they used to all be in Tim's tins, so more secure, recently I put a bunch in a plastic Container Store box without a lid or dividers (testing which organization I want), then put them in a drawer, and they're fine even if they move a little.

When I take some to an LSS, I do put a "plastiband" around each one, since they could end up on their side or upside down in their pouch. Plastic bands tend to be thinner than rubber bands, so don't add bulk, in case you're interested. Or the tins do hold them in place. I think (?) I got the bands cheaper at Office Depot but they're like these: https://www.amazon.com/Baumgartens-8...=Plastic+bands

And the drawer isn't difficult to open so doesn't open with a jerk, which makes the minis kind of jump? Mini lids have never fit tightly, but they should be 100% fine in a box or drawer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2017, 06:47 AM   #32  
hdp
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

One of the things I considered when making the decision to start purchasing the mini ink pads was the type of stamps I mainly use. Since most of my solid image stamps are smaller, the mini stamp pads work great. For the larger solid images I continue using the regular size ink pads (in the colors I already own) so I don't get the stamp pad lines.

I love how little space the mini's take, both when storing and on my desk when stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 05:10 AM   #33  
Mad Swapper

thanks,

I wondered if it was just my set or a problem in general but since I haven't seen other similar complaints figured it was just me....again. Like I said in the other post when it comes to mini's I have the worst luck, sigh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 05:38 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
thanks,

I wondered if it was just my set or a problem in general but since I haven't seen other similar complaints figured it was just me....again. Like I said in the other post when it comes to mini's I have the worst luck, sigh!
Bad mini karma, huh. : ( Stacy, you still may want to contact Ranger, unless the drawer you have them in really jerks when you open it, or if you're not putting lids on squarely when mentally occupied with more creative ventures. : )

BTW, Jennifer McGuire keeps her minis in Tim Holtz tins in a drawer but removes the lids so there's easy access. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2017, 04:55 AM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Lol, or my creative muse's idea of funny

The drawer is an plastic cart style so there is a little bit of jerk but not that much. It seems to happen especially when I stack them. You're right, guess I need to call Ranger, now to just find time to do so.... (I'm usually running into the craft room to play when I have a spare moment).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2017, 05:17 AM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Aha, I think you put your finger on it - muse messing with you. ; ) And the minis don't love being stacked-and-jerked.

These might solve the hopping lid issue since you want or need to stack them: one layer of minis in the box, with another box (or boxes) on top that nests into the first box about an inch. https://www.containerstore.com/s/cle...583&q=10069217

Not the skinny box - the larger, or larger plus smaller ones on top. I brought minis to The Container Store to check them out. I have Tim tins but have these boxes for tons of other minis and love them. (They even stack in my shallow Alex drawers.) And are inexpensive.

Last edited by bjeans; 02-22-2017 at 05:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 08:28 PM   #37  
Glitter Queen

Default Mini lids not staying on

I heard about this issue before buying 36 SU minis on sale this week. When I opened the packages I went through and opened all 36 minis. If the top came off easily, I cut a small piece of painter's tape and placed on 2 opposite sides of the closed pad. Problem solved.

QUOTE=stampin stacy;21420052]I recently bought a set of TH distress mini's and the lids will not stay on. Every time I open the drawer at least one of them is sitting there with the lid off. I am so frustrated, I will never buy these in mini form again.

I already swore off cat's eye shaped mini's several years because they were too hard to close one handed, which is often what I needed to do. Another time I bought a set of mini pads only to find one of the 4 dried up and rock hard. Mini inks and I just don't get along.

Give me full sized pink pads any day because mini's and I just broke up, never to be reunited again ... at least until the next time something comes out in a smaller form and I just have to try it. ;)[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2017, 04:20 AM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Mini pads on sale? Do you have a link or was it a demo's personal sale?
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2017, 07:05 AM   #39  
Glitter Queen

All Tim Holtz was on sale last week (30% off) at JoAnn's. This week, it's 30% off at Hobby Lobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2017, 10:53 AM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Ahh. You had said that you bought SU! mini stamp pads on sale. That's what I was asking about. I looked for some SU! sales and didn't find any.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwistinghausenView Post
I heard about this issue before buying 36 SU minis on sale this week. When I opened the packages I went through and opened all 36 minis. If the top came off easily, I cut a small piece of painter's tape and placed on 2 opposite sides of the closed pad. Problem solved.
Save
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes