Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-20-2017, 05:25 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone work with the new Distress Oxides? Wondering about odor.

I am thinking of getting the Distress Oxides, and am wondering if they have any odor. Or is it like working with any chalk/pigment ink? I already use Colorbox Chalks and they have no odor.

Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2017, 06:22 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I get headaches/stuffiness around perfume and am sensitive to smells. (I'm the one in the car that says someone in a car two in front of ours on the highway is smoking.)

In order to detect an odor, I had to get my nose right into the inks (and got Cracked Pistachio on my nose - nice color but better on paper). A couple had a faint odor; Vintage Photo reminded me of rubbing alcohol - but again, only if right in my nose.

If you'd like me to list each color with my take on odor, let me know. If you're curious about Oxides beyond that, here are two threads that have Oxide info, though you've probably seen them?
- TH's Distress Oxides by Bohodiva at Splitcoaststampers
- What are your CHA 2017 must haves? by annie* at Splitcoaststampers

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2017, 06:32 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

So not completely odor free like regular Distress Inks? I am super sensitive to odors. I can't use any kind of alcohol or solvent inks or markers. I have to go outside to address a package with a Sharpie.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2017, 07:58 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using them. There is an acidic like (sortof like vinegar but not really) odor when you first open them, but within a couple days it had dissipated quite a bit. You really have to put them right up to your nose to smell it now.

It is a much lighter odor than alcohol markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2017, 08:41 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
So not completely odor free like regular Distress Inks? I am super sensitive to odors. I can't use any kind of alcohol or solvent inks or markers. I have to go outside to address a package with a Sharpie.
I don't think I can offer much more than what I already wrote. To my nose, Vintage Photo smells very faintly like rubbing alcohol - if my nose is right up to the pad. It's not like a Sharpie smell.

Vintage Photo is one of two colors that weren't already open since Thursday, I believe. The others had been used over a few days, so as Heidi posted, maybe any slight odor dissipates.

I think it's difficult to judge for someone else. Maybe buy one, open it in a room you won't be in, leave it open for a bit, then see? And If there's any trace odor, try the same the next day?

BTW, next Sunday or Monday I'm going to an Oxide ink class. I can ask what others think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #6  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

I'm with you - and I didn't notice a smell. Love the inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

But don't you use Copics, Lydia? I seem to recall seeing Copics in your craft room when I looked at your craft room renovation video.

I can't use Copics, although I wish I could. I even bought a couple to see if they would bother me. They did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 11:34 AM   #8  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

But don't you use Copics, Lydia? I seem to recall seeing Copics in your craft room when I looked at your craft room renovation video.

I can't use Copics, although I wish I could. I even bought a couple to see if they would bother me. They did.
I do - the smell does bug me, but not like Staz-on or anything like that. I use Sharpies too. They're out for such a short time I'm okay with it. And most of the time that I color I'm outside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 12:30 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

A good solution. I had thought of it. But I've resigned myself to watercolors and water-based markers for coloring.

I guess the answer to my question is for me to buy a couple of Oxide pads and open them up and see whether they annoy me. I am really interested in them. I'm sure I would make great use of them for BGs, but I particularly like that you can stamp on darker cardstock and mist them and they brighten up. I was hoping to switch out my chalk ink pads for them for stamping. I love my Colorbox chalks, but the palette isn't as nice as the Distress palette.
Reply With Quote Likes