Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-11-2015, 04:56 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xyron Questions or Input

I'm considering buying an Xyron. I saw someone put paper through it and then cut the paper in their Cricut. That would be so much easier than trying to glue down little pieces or letters. Anyone have an opinion on buying one? Which one to buy?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2015, 06:34 AM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

I have had one for a few years now. While I don't use it every day, I sure appreciate having one when I need it. I have used my Big Shot in a similar manner and yes it is much easier to stick down those tiny pieces. Mine is 9 inches wide I think, I can run a full sheet of cardstock through it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2015, 07:46 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to tape the paper that has been thru a Xyron down securely on your Cricut mat (I use painters tape). But yes a Xyron is a handy tool. I use the smallest one a lot. But the big one is useful too. If you cut first then run your cut thru a Xyron use an embossing stylus (or a pencil) and go around the edges to get excess glue off before you peel off the clear layer. I keep a brayer around to push it down more as sometimes it gets spotty coverage. Oh. and did you know you can run paper thru your Xyron then put glitter on the sticky side?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2015, 03:15 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't think they were a good investment until one was demonstrated for me. I now have all three sizes, the 9", the 5" and the X. I love them all. I don't use them all the time like I do a lot of my other things but when I need them they are awesome. If I am making A2 cards I run the folded base through (2 next to each other) and that completely glues the fronts of the cards for my cs. Plus, doing this way wastes much less. They all have different uses. I also buy rolls of the replacements each time I have a coupon that is 40% off at one of the craft stores. (And the suggestion about putting the glitter on the glued side works beautifully!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2015, 02:54 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 603 Likes on 246 Posts

I have a very expensive older 12" model collecting dust in the garage until we move and it gets tossed. Refills are hard to find and expensive. I use a small one (3"?) often and I use the 1 1/2" "X" machine almost daily. Not only are they quick and easy to use, put it's great having an even coating of very sticky adhesive on your cut piece. Both of those refills are at Michaels -- coupons!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2015, 09:10 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I have the 2 1/2 inch size and LOVE it for cutting word dies and other small dies. I cut strips of cardstock to 2 1/2" x 11 in colors I use a lot, run them through the Xyron then keep them on hand. Red, Black, white. I thought about buying the 5" Xyron, but I rarely use a die that would require that size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
I have a very expensive older 12" model collecting dust in the garage until we move and it gets tossed. Refills are hard to find and expensive. I use a small one (3"?) often and I use the 1 1/2" "X" machine almost daily. Not only are they quick and easy to use, put it's great having an even coating of very sticky adhesive on your cut piece. Both of those refills are at Michaels -- coupons!
Mary Beth
I have an 8 or 9"?, 5"?, 2 1/2, and 1 1/2 Xyron. I use my 1 1/2 Xyron more than any other, and don't use it that often. I hate the extra glue on the inside and outside cuts. Using EK Sucess adhesive eraser makes it pretty easy to get rid of it, but still a pain. Speaking of the EK Sucess, can't believe it's discontinued. The yellow square thing SU and others sell is junk in comparison. I've had my EK Sucess eraser for several years now, and still have half left. I've never had to cut it down or deal with sticky blobs like i had to do with the yellow one. I think they discontinued it because it lasts too long, wish I knew what it's made of. Sorry for getting off topic, but I'm disappointed to have just found this out.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress

Last edited by Annecards; 06-12-2015 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: Approximate Xyron sizes close if not accurate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2015, 09:37 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
I have an 8 or 9"?, 5"?, 2 1/2, and 1 1/2 Xyron. I use my 1 1/2 Xyron more than any other, and don't use it that often. I hate the extra glue on the inside and outside cuts. Using EK Sucess adhesive eraser makes it pretty easy to get rid of it, but still a pain. Speaking of the EK Sucess, can't believe it's discontinued. The yellow square thing SU and others sell is junk in comparison. I've had my EK Sucess eraser for several years now, and still have half left. I've never had to cut it down or deal with sticky blobs like i had to do with the yellow one. I think they discontinued it because it lasts too long, wish I knew what it's made of. Sorry for getting off topic, but I'm disappointed to have just found this out.
Sounds like a great eraser, and I wish I had one. I think I understand why people hoard stuff. When you find something you love, it's tempting to buy a bunch of them, in case they stop making it!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2015, 05:55 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Thank you all for the information! It sounds like I better think this over some more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2015, 08:04 AM   #10  
Linking Queen

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

If you intend to use it for small pieces, the X-shape Xyron (1.5" Sticker Maker: https://www.xyron.com/en-US/Products...Sticker-Maker/) is convenient and the cartridges/refills are affordable (using 40% off coupons). I also like this size for ribbon.

For mass card making, I find the 500 (Create-a-Sticker Max: https://www.xyron.com/en-US/Products...a-Sticker-Max/) to be a great timesaver. Walmart, when they have them, sells these refills at a good price (comparable to the after-coupon price at Michael's, etc.)

I was gifted the 250 (2.5" Create-a-Sticker: https://www.xyron.com/en-US/Products...ate-a-Sticker/) and find it useful for getting excellent coverage on layering pieces.

My favorite Xyron product is the Mega Runner! Here's the product detail page:

https://www.xyron.com/en-US/Products...r-_0701-05-00/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
If you intend to use it for small pieces, the X-shape Xyron (1.5" Sticker Maker: https://www.xyron.com/en-US/Products...Sticker-Maker/) is convenient and the cartridges/refills are affordable (using 40% off coupons). I also like this size for ribbon.

For mass card making, I find the 500 (Create-a-Sticker Max: https://www.xyron.com/en-US/Products...a-Sticker-Max/) to be a great timesaver. Walmart, when they have them, sells these refills at a good price (comparable to the after-coupon price at Michael's, etc.)

I was gifted the 250 (2.5" Create-a-Sticker: https://www.xyron.com/en-US/Products...ate-a-Sticker/) and find it useful for getting excellent coverage on layering pieces.

My favorite Xyron product is the Mega Runner! Here's the product detail page:

https://www.xyron.com/en-US/Products...r-_0701-05-00/
Thanks so much for your input. I use an ATC tape runner is that similar to their tape adhesive runner? Also when you run ribbon through it how does that work?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #12  
Linking Queen

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainy DayView Post
Thanks so much for your input. I use an ATC tape runner is that similar to their tape adhesive runner? Also when you run ribbon through it how does that work?
If you meant an ATG tape Runner (Atg 714, Scotch Atg 700 in Stock - ULINE) the Xyron Mega Runner is much easier (imo) to hold. Recently, a friend's elderly mother used mine and really liked it. I think she uses an ATG but struggles with it. I never bothered to compare costs because I was thrilled to have something that holds more tape (100 feet) than the small handheld runners (tombow, SU snail, etc. which usually have 40 feet)

As for ribbon, when I use it it is usually just a flat piece to cover a seam so I need to be sure it will stay flat. I don't use it for sheer ribbons or if I am tying the ribbon.

I hope this answers your questions. I'm happy to help anyway I can!
Reply With Quote Likes