Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-08-2020, 06:17 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wood mount conversion to Clear/Cling mount

I have been digging all my stamping stuff out over several months & inventorying 14 years of purchases. Ugh!

I have a ton of mounted and
un-mounted SU stamps, what is the best way to get these converted?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2020, 03:58 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I unmounted my SU stamps years ago. Then I took an acrylic block and put Tack n Peel on it. All I have to do is take the rubber stamp and put it in the block and stamp. For a clear stamp, I used the other side of the block ( the sde with no Tack n Peel) and just stuck the clear stamp on the block. I clean the stamps with a stamp cleaner and run the acrylic block under warm water. I let the acrylic block air dry.Here is a link to just one place that sells Tack n Peel:
Tsukineko - Tack and Peel Sheet - Reusable Cling Sheet For Use With Acrylic Stamping

There are many places you can buy it.

I store all of my stamps in photo storage boxes and label the boxes. All SU sets are first placed in zip lock bags and labeled with the name of the set and the number of stamps that are in the set.

Some people use EZ MOUNT but it is expensive if you have a ton of stamps, in my opinion.

Crafter's Companion EZ Mount Static Cling Mounting Foam, 8.5" x 11", 10pk - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

Hope this is of some help to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2020, 04:11 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

I unmounted my SU stamps years ago. Then I took an acrylic block and put Tack n Peel on it. All I have to do is take the rubber stamp and put it in the block and stamp. For a clear stamp, I used the other side of the block ( the sde with no Tack n Peel) and just stuck the clear stamp on the block. I clean the stamps with a stamp cleaner and run the acrylic block under warm water. I let the acrylic block air dry.Here is a link to just one place that sells Tack n Peel:
Tsukineko - Tack and Peel Sheet - Reusable Cling Sheet For Use With Acrylic Stamping

I store all of my stamps in photo storage boxes and label the boxes. All SU sets are first placed in zip lock bags and labeled with the name of the set and the number of stamps that are in the set.

Some people use EZ MOUNT but it is expensive if you have a ton of stamps, in my opinion.

Crafter's Companion EZ Mount Static Cling Mounting Foam, 8.5" x 11", 10pk - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

Do you know if this would work with a Misti? If I placed it on the Misti lid, can I use unmounted rubber stamps without having to add EZ mount? Thanks
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2020, 05:43 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Sorry, but I do not have the Misti so I can not ive an answer about that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2020, 06:59 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 509 Likes on 229 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Quote:

Do you know if this would work with a Misti? If I placed it on the Misti lid, can I use unmounted rubber stamps without having to add EZ mount? Thanks
Karen

If you want to use Tack n Peel on the MISTI lid, get a piece of the cling vinyl that they make for using on the MISTI and attach the tack n peel to that. You can remove the vinyl from the MISTI door easily, but it clings really well. The Tack n peel isn't so easy to take off of the door and put on repeatedly.

I saw a video that explains this process, but not sure where I saw it! If I can find it I will come back and share.

There is another item that is available for use in the MISTI that was made for nekkid rubber stamps (no cling foam). It is from Purple Onion. I bought one recently and it works great. Sandy Allnock demonstrates it here:
Using Red Rubber stamps: no more mounting!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2020, 07:32 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I use Diane's suggestion, but I keep the vinyl and Tack N Peel on my lid at all times. I have a piece of cling vinyl that is the exact size of the lid and then I put enough Tack N Peel on the cling vinyl to fit the inside of the Misti platform. It takes a little more than two pieces to fit the stamping area. I leave the cover on the Tack N Peel to keep the sticky covered up and then if I want to use the Tack N Peel I remove the cover to expose the sticky part. I leave it on my lid all of the time and clear stamps stick to the TNP covering just like they would stick to the lid. I almost forget that the TNP is there, but it is ready when I need to use it. The vinyl and Tack N Peel covering also protect my lid from ink and wipes up easily. The TNP is quite thin and I seldom notice a time when it interferes with the use of my Misti. When that does happen it usually means I just need to remove the foam piece from the platform. I still have the option of removing the TNP from the lid if I would need to, but honestly I don't think I have ever taken it off the lid.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2020, 03:38 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put a dab or repositional tape runner on my bare red rubber stamps - I don't have that many. Then they stick to the Misti easily. My cling stamps are no problem in the misti.

When I unmounted my wood block stamps, I nuked them in the microwave for maybe 15 seconds, peeled them off the block and peeled the image sticker off also.  I then stuck the sticker on the back of the stamp, trimmed with teflon scissors and they work like cling stamps (only not quite as well LOL)

Last edited by vdoyle8; 08-16-2020 at 03:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2020, 03:48 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I just put a dab or repositional tape runner on my bare red rubber stamps - I don't have that many. Then they stick to the Misti easily. My cling stamps are no problem in the misti.

When I unmounted my wood block stamps, I nuked them in the microwave for maybe 15 seconds, peeled them off the block and peeled the image sticker off also. I then stuck the sticker on the back of the stamp, trimmed with teflon scissors and they work like cling stamps (only not quite as well LOL)

I did the same for some small SU stamps, but they don't seem to stick to my Misti at all. I wish I had kept the small stamps on the wooden blocks now...sigh. I'm glad I unmounted the larger stamps, but those tiny ones didn't really take up much room and are now a hassle to use.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2020, 03:50 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Hmm, looks like I need to get some cling vinyl as well as Tack N Peel. I never knew any of these existed before. Thanks for the tip on not applying Tack N Peel directly to the Misti lid, for easier removal.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2020, 10:32 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Where do you buy plain cling vinyl???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2020, 11:40 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Before you go down the vinyl cling and Tac n Peel route ... I tried that (used the vinyl sheet that came with my Misti on the inside of the door rather than the outside).  It worked great until I wanted to remove it to use the Misti with some polymer stamps.  The vinyl cling curled under the pressure of the Tack n Peel and I was never able to get it back on the door of the Misti. Others may have a different experience, but for me it was a sad waste of some Tack n Peel and a perfectly good piece of vinyl cling.  Personally, I'd look into the Purple Onion's Clear Mounting Stamp which seems to be a better version of the whole vinyl cling and Tack n Peel. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2020, 05:43 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 509 Likes on 229 Posts

I've been using the Purple Onion stamp...I love it!  So easy to use.  It's sticky and comes with plastic sheet on both sides that you take off when using and put it back when done.  Kind of like you do with tack n peel.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2020, 04:12 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

I'm glad I unmounted the larger stamps, but those tiny ones didn't really take up much room and are now a hassle to use.Karen
I agree that those little stamps and a  stamp postioner are not a great match usually.  I find I like to 'sprinkle' them around a card and an acrylic block is a better tool for that.  Tack n Peel or a bit of tape runner on a small block and I'm good to go.
But when you want to create a background or a wreath with a bunch of little stamps, the positioner is great to have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2020, 08:40 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Default Wood blocks

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdoyle8View Post

When I unmounted my wood block stamps, I nuked them in the microwave for maybe 15 seconds, peeled them off the block and peeled the image sticker off also.  I then stuck the sticker on the back of the stamp, trimmed with teflon scissors and they work like cling stamps (only not quite as well LOL)
What did you do with your blocks?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2020, 08:41 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChloeGeorgeView Post

What did you do with your blocks?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2020, 05:37 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

If you do want to unmount stamps, I'd recommend Goo Gone & a dull knife to scrape any adhesive residue off. Just make sure you wash the stamps with soap & water after to remove any Goo Gone, as I found it can damage them. I mount any unmounted rubber stamps to EZ Foam (I think that's the name--or EZ Cling or whatever). Following a tip from Lindsay Weirich (The Frugal Crafter), I invested in a hot knife tool. It makes cutting the foam around the edges of the rubber stamp soooo much easier than trying to use scissors! I got mine at Michael's or Hobby Lobby, and with a coupon, it wasn't that expensive. Well worth the investment if you're going to mount a lot of stamps like I did. Of course, cutting around small stamps can get a bit dicey, but I thankfully have yet to burn myself!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2020, 09:49 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Indexing the new stamp

I would like to unmount my stamps from wood, but I need/want the image on the new stamp, mounted correctly and in the right place. Any suggestions on how to do this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2020, 08:27 AM   #18  
Glitter Queen

I unmounted all of my SU wood stamps, so much more room now (I'm a demo, and have a lot!) Nuke groups of stamps ~15 seconds, peel off the rubber with cushion and label.  Use double-sided tape on the stamps to make them "clear mount"; only need a small piece. You can touch it to your clothes to make it a little less sticky for the acrylic block or stamp positioner side. 
For exact label positioning, place label sticky side up on a grid and align a straight section of the image. Then align the rubber image along the same line, adhere. Another way is hold the stamp image face up, then make an impression of a line with the edge of a stamp case or ruler on the foam side. Then when you add the label, you have a temporary straight line to align the label with. 
I bought a bunch of DVD cases in bulk on Amazon to store the sets with printed labels so that I can see the names and images on the spines, just like current sets.  Save some storage space by putting two (or more) similar but smaller sets in one box. 
Indexed all my sets by image and description (flower, "birthday", etc.) on my computer, so easy to find and FREE!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2020, 09:34 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for all those helpful tips Pengwen!  The Stampin'Up and other wood mounted stamps that I have unmounted have been a little harder to store than the stamps I buy already unmounted. The sticky side of the stamp that adhered it to the block make a mess of my Misti or an acylic block...but doesn't stick well enough to keep it on the block. Great tip to make it less sticky by tapping against fabric etc.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2020, 09:03 AM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

I've been unmounting all my wood mount stamps. Most have come off okay but a few... that old foam doesn't want to stay on or come off. I want the image on the rubber tho. For those I hadn't previously mounted, the image sticks to the rubber fine. For the ones I have to peel the image off of the wood block I've been having a bit of trouble. I've been covering the rubber with a small amount of Tombow Multi glue and gluing the image with that. The problem is that it doesn't want to dry under that 'sticker' even tho I haven't put much on. Is there another type of adhesive that would work better? I've been using the Tombow Multi to make the 'cling' also. Put a thin layer on the image side and let it dry overnight to make it tacky. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2020, 10:41 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

I did this years ago and it's been great!  Tack and Peel & Easy Mount are pricey for the amount of stamps I unmounted, so nixed it.  I use Tack Over & Over....use tiny bit watered down a little and spread over rubber; let dry.  I keep stamps in CD cases.  I do want all the original cushion off the stamp...sometimes that's problematic though.  Easy to then use in MISTI...

It's a rewarding project and worth the effort!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2020, 09:05 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Quote:

Karen

I have a Misti and do have a problem with the old rubber SU stamps I took off their wood.  I tried the tack and stick and wasn’t worth the aggravation.  So I just use a small piece of two way tape and stick it to the back of the stamp and use it in the Misti that way.  Sometimes the tape stays on the lid, but I’ve never had trouble removing it.  Sometimes it stays Stuck to the back of the stamp.  So when needed I Just use another piece!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2020, 10:34 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a Misti and do have a problem with the old rubber SU stamps I took off their wood.  I tried the tack and stick and wasn’t worth the aggravation.
----------------------------------------------------------------
The secret to Tack It Over & Over (TIOO) is to thin a small amount with water and then apply a little to back of rubber.  I'd almost thrown out the bottle when I saw another stamper post the "secret"!  I do a bunch at a time and let them dry.  Nice to have them ready when I want to stamp & always us my MISTI!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2020, 05:06 PM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

I demo'd years ago, and found I never used the stamps.  I unmounted them all.  I used the microwave for the hard to get off ones, and also found the image came off well as well.  I believe I used Aleen's Tacky glue to adhere the image.  I tried vinyl cling and found it wouldn't stay mounted.  Stampin up now sells the cling sheets and I feel this has been the best so far.  Can use in my stamping platform or acrylic block.  As for the blocks, I had some unmounted which I kept.  The others made great kindling for campfires this summer.  Don't miss the wood blocks at all!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2021, 08:18 AM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Quote:

When I unmounted my wood block stamps, I nuked them in the microwave for maybe 15 seconds, peeled them off the block and peeled the image sticker off also. I then stuck the sticker on the back of the stamp, trimmed with teflon scissors and they work like cling stamps (only not quite as well LOL)

I did the same for some small SU stamps, but they don't seem to stick to my Misti at all. I wish I had kept the small stamps on the wooden blocks now...sigh. I'm glad I unmounted the larger stamps, but those tiny ones didn't really take up much room and are now a hassle to use.
Karen
Have you tried using Aleene's Tack it over and over on the back of your stamps to make them cling? I'm in the process of converting and have had a million problems and am searching for answers and ran across this.
Reply With Quote Likes