Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #441  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buttons1View Post
I regret the cricut and cartridges a whole, whole lot since I got a silhouette last Christmas.
I wish I had gotten the Silhouette instead of an Eclipse. I think I still use my old Cricut more than I do my new Eclipse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2014, 04:38 AM   #442  
Glitter Queen

This was a gift so I guess I should say I regret receiving it. But I never could get the hang of Martha Stewart's circle cutter. Not sure if she has a different one now but this is the one that has the holes in the clear circle and it spins. That's the best way I can describe it. Anyways, I have other circle cutters I like a lot better.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 02:03 AM   #443  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I love my Crop-a-Dile, but because I don't have a craft-only space it's usually packed in a cupboard. I got the long-reach one for the practicality of it, and actually decided to get it for its use in setting eyelets in fabric and other materials, not particularly cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #444  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristaTracyView Post
I really regret the Cricut and multiple cartridges. Yuck.

A smaller purchase that I never use, but can't seem to part with, is the SU Color Swatches.
IF you ever feel the need to part with your swatches let me know! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #445  
Kookie Creator

I use my paper crimper to roll up the ends of toothpaste, hand lotion, paint tubes... almost anything in a tube... almond paste, etc... to get the most of the purchase. The crimper works on metal and plastic tubes (my crimper is metal). My husban thinks I'm a genius for using it that way... :confused:

... and I occasionally use it to crimp paper. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #446  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyGirlView Post
I use my paper crimper to roll up the ends of toothpaste, hand lotion, paint tubes... almost anything in a tube... almond paste, etc... to get the most of the purchase. The crimper works on metal and plastic tubes (my crimper is metal). My husban thinks I'm a genius for using it that way... :confused:

... and I occasionally use it to crimp paper. :rolleyes:
That is genius!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #447  
Hardware Hotshot

I regret almost every scrapbooking purchase I ever made! It would be easier to say what I use now and love than list it all.

I started scrapbooking 17 years ago when my son was a baby. OKC had exactly one scrapbook store and I bought an old Pioneer scrapbook (okay, I found way better scrapbooks!) a couple of pens and the adhesive tabs the girl recommended. (Herma?) Nobody showed me a trimmer, and I didn't know they existed for TWO whole years! I used (you won't believe it!) an exacto knife, a ruler and two layers of cardboard as a mat!
But, as I collected more and more stuff, and became more and more addicted to the hobby, I stopped enjoying it as much as those first two years when I had to be more creative in the way I did things.
Now, I have my paper trimmer, my pens, my adhesive gun (I use the ATG, but I kind of miss my Herma tabs). That's it.
I don't regret buying my Slice, which I LOVE, but I wish they hadn't gone out of business. Mine worked great. I haven't gotten it out in awhile and I'm wondering if I can remember the little fixes to get it going again.
I haven't done any scrapbooking of my own in almost a year, but I use these supplies to help my daughter do stuff. I have my dining room table cleaned up and am thinking about doing something with paper and pictures later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2014, 07:36 PM   #448  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valmr2View Post
This was a gift so I guess I should say I regret receiving it. But I never could get the hang of Martha Stewart's circle cutter. Not sure if she has a different one now but this is the one that has the holes in the clear circle and it spins. That's the best way I can describe it. Anyways, I have other circle cutters I like a lot better.
I felt the same way, but finally got the hang of it. I have to use my glass mat ans really hold the circular part and cardstock down while competing the cut in a smooth motion. I use a small line of adhesive under the cardstock in the approximate area of the circle. Hope this helps you, because it does come in handy for cutting a quick circle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2014, 05:56 AM   #449  
Insane Embellisher

My Crystyler purchase was a waste of money. A white crayon picks up rhinestones better than any device.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2014, 08:55 PM   #450  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a lot of retired SU inks still in wrappers, along with ribbon. Smehow I bought doubles of the TH distress ink pads, also sealed. I need to sell these or trade. I sometimes hop in middle of night after taking Ambien. I still have crp a dile in packaging. If anyone interested let me know.

Tara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #451  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by STYXROCKSMEView Post
I sometimes shop in middle of night after taking Ambien. I still have crp a dile in packaging. If anyone interested let me know.

Tara
SUI - Shopping under the influence. Been there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #452  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 217 Likes on 187 Posts

What a great thread. Made me chuckle.

There are many things I wish I hadn't purchased after time. But, I'm finding that some of the things I haven't used I am now using. It's funny though, at the time I was just dieing to have the ....... What ever it was! Just couldn't live without it.:rolleyes:

This is why I think about a silhouette but I haven't bought one.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #453  
Polyshrink Goddess

I regret almost all of my markers. Bic's , spectrum noir and Blick. The Bics are too intense, and the ŚN markers dry out quickly. The refills are too expensive. The Blicks have lasted me for years, but as they die off I'm not replacing them.
I now realize I can get just as good coloring with my pencils for a fraction of the cost.

The other thing I regret is all of the tim holtz distress stains. It seems like every time joanns had a sale I would buy a few more. And I rarely ever use them. In fact the whole distress ink craze confounds me. Well for that matter, I regret buying most Tim Holtz stuff.
I can appreciate the splattered and stained look as much as the next guy- but Tim has almost elevated it to a "lifestyle". So now I guess what I'm saying is that I just don't care for him and his products. Seriously - what does that man do besides make TAGS that are a swirled, blurred mess of color????

Finally, ------ rotary cutters. I've had them and given them away. I love my Fiskars triple track, plus I use it to score with too.

Last edited by sewnmachine; 09-21-2014 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #454  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

SU circle cutter. I was a demo at the time an have never liked the thing and never could use it. I wish I could find a home for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2014, 12:09 AM   #455  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
The other thing I regret is all of the tim holtz distress stains. It seems like every time joanns had a sale I would buy a few more. And I rarely ever use them. In fact the whole distress ink craze confounds me. Well for that matter, I regret buying most Tim Holtz stuff.
I can appreciate the splattered and stained look as much as the next guy- but Tim has almost elevated it to a "lifestyle". So now I guess what I'm saying is that I just don't care for him and his products. Seriously - what does that man do besides make TAGS that are a swirled, blurred mess of color????

Finally, ------ rotary cutters. I've had them and given them away. I love my Fiskars triple track, plus I use it to score with too.
sewnmachine- Your post made me laugh so hard. When I moved out of my old home I got rid of my DI's. I move into my new home and I bought some DI"s so I could use them in altered art like jewelry boxes. Plus, that Peacock Feathers DI made me fall in love. My DH decides I need all the DI's. I use to make my own version but it's time consuming. My DH thought I would appreciate more time playing than making. I don't want all the DI's. I don't get the DI craze either. It confounds me too. That was the perfect statement you wrote! My second favorite "It's a lifestyle!"

I am not reaching for my DI's to do altered art, except that darn Peacock Feathers, lol. Luckily I only have half of the DI's. i still feel like that is way too much. Luckily the only thing I own of Tim's are those DI's and his scissors. I love his scissors. I don't get into the lifestyle either, ROFL!

For all of you who are into the lifestyle. You are all beautiful and make beautiful art. Tim does too. It still confounds me. !

Paper Trimmers- What is up with paper trimmers? They are the Gremlins of the cutting world. You get your paper trimmer set up and it's like Mogwai and you love your trimmer. After midnight it gets into water and turns into Stripe and becomes the evil trimmer.

I regret all the paper trimmers I bought. I am good with my Craft Knife, Ruler & Cutting Mat.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2014, 02:21 AM   #456  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post

I felt the same way about the distress stains until I went to a class where the instructor used them to water color. What you do is put the stains in a palette and then let them dry. You have to set the palette aside as it takes some time for the ink to start to dry. Then you just pick up the color with a damp paint brush. The colors are vibrant and rich not like the distress markers.

I have 2 palettes for all my colors and I keep them on my stamp desk that I use all the time now. Below is a sample of them as just watercolors.
Attached Thumbnails
wish I hadn't paid for this...-stamp-retreat-2011-039.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2014, 03:11 AM   #457  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree about Tim Holtz, swirl of messy color, only tags, lifestyle.LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2014, 11:00 PM   #458  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I have 2 palettes for all my colors and I keep them on my stamp desk that I use all the time now. Below is a sample of them as just watercolors.
Ohhhhh, your card is stunning!!!! Mouth dropped open when I looked at it. That is some beautiful deep rich watercolors.

I think I would be all over Tim's products if this was more popular or other techniques. Tim just has to teach swirly doo method, lol. Funny story I was telling a lady one day I was using Tim's DI's to stain wood. She just looked so shocked and not in a good way. She said to me "Why don't you use Tim's inks for what they are made for?" She was a sweetie pie so I know she wasn't being catty. She really couldn't understand why I didn't go to the wood stain aisles and get the proper thing. Probably because wood stain aisle doesn't have Peacock Feather colors.

I think that's what a lot of people see Tim's stuff as Tim's techniques. I have actually found some Kawaii girls who use Tim's inks to do cute stamp and manga work.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2014, 04:59 AM   #459  
Forum Fanatic

[QUOTE=lylacfey;20762104]Ohhhhh, your card is stunning!!!! Mouth dropped open when I looked at it. That is some beautiful deep rich watercolors.

Funny story I was telling a lady one day I was using Tim's DI's to stain wood. She just looked so shocked and not in a good way. She said to me "Why don't you use Tim's inks for what they are made for?" She was a sweetie pie so I know she wasn't being catty. She really couldn't understand why I didn't go to the wood stain aisles and get the proper thing. Probably because wood stain aisle doesn't have Peacock Feather colors.
QUOTE]

Thanks.

You know Tim didn't invent the "swirly" technique. We were doing it with water colors long before Tim came on the scene. It's just that he designed products that made it easier an his color line was new. I took a class with Tim just as he started getting going and his fame was more about the grunge/distress/more masculine look not the blending.

Your friend is funny because what's the fun of just using products the way they are designed? ;) I'm always experimenting and finding ways to use a product. My friends call me Ms. MacGuyver because I'm really into modifying and trying out new and different things to do.

Your friend would really have a problem with a product I recently bought called Bister. It's actually wood stain! I had a little problem with getting it right so I'm not using it exactly the way it's demoed but I'm getting good results (see pic).
Attached Thumbnails
wish I hadn't paid for this...-dscn2271.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2014, 05:31 AM   #460  
Insane Embellisher

Cute card! Did you have to mask every one of those flowers?! Also, do you know if Bister is available at the Big Box hardware stores?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2014, 06:37 AM   #461  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
Cute card! Did you have to mask every one of those flowers?! Also, do you know if Bister is available at the Big Box hardware stores?
Thanks I didn't mask, I used bleach like the video showed. Once you have the background you want, I stamped the flowers, heat set and then bleached out the petals and then used markers to color the flower centers. Ever since I watched that video I've bleaching like crazy because it's so much simpler than masking. I drew the grass using a calligraphy pen.

I found this product that sounds really similar that I thinking of buying. The bister really goes a long way. I've also mixed it with water and misted it and it's really pretty.

I haven't looked for it at local stores but online I'm only finding something similar at woodworking stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #462  
Insane Embellisher

First I've heard of the bleach method! Thanks!

Do you use actual laundry bleach or is there another project that is safer?

I'll have to add it to my techniques list.

Sorry, folks, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2014, 12:49 PM   #463  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh heck, this thread just became unsafe! I don't need another technique to try!!!! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #464  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Thanks I didn't mask, I used bleach like the video showed. Once you have the background you want, I stamped the flowers, heat set and then bleached out the petals and then used markers to color the flower centers. Ever since I watched that video I've bleaching like crazy because it's so much simpler than masking. I drew the grass using a calligraphy pen.

I found this product that sounds really similar that I thinking of buying. The bister really goes a long way. I've also mixed it with water and misted it and it's really pretty.

I haven't looked for it at local stores but online I'm only finding something similar at woodworking stores.
I think I saw a video of someone who used to dye/paint eggs (exotic not Easter) and used a similar dye.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2014, 01:00 PM   #465  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
First I've heard of the bleach method! Thanks!

Do you use actual laundry bleach or is there another project that is safer?

I'll have to add it to my techniques list.

Sorry, folks, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Hijack continues ;)

I use liquid bleach. I keep a little jar on my desk and dip my paintbrush in or sometimes, if I'm doing a lot I'll fill one of my old aqua brushes.

There are techniques that use the gel but I never had much luck. There a alot of ways to use bleach but I think the most popular is to either paint your rubber stamp or make put some bleach on some paper towels and use it like a stamp pad.

Bleaching results vary depending on the cardstock. Some colors fade really nice and others just get lighter. One thing to note is that if you use the bleach stamp method, it runs so you may not get a perfect image.

Also, if you do several cards, your stamp room smells like you've been cleaning. You can fool everyone .... :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #466  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I think I saw a video of someone who used to dye/paint eggs (exotic not Easter) and used a similar dye.
Not sure, but I think there is a Russian method of using these kinds of dyes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2016, 10:13 AM   #467  
Mad Swapper

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I regret buying the Shinhan Touch twin markers simply because I can't find refills for some of them. Now I am trying to decide if I could find a Copic that is a close match and use that refill?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2016, 10:19 AM   #468  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by uacheermomView Post
Mine would be the Creative Memories punches that I bought when I first started scrapbooking about 5 years ago - I bought them ALL over about a year....they're so big, bulky and heavy that I don't use them all that often and now there are so many other options for cute punches....but I can't justify spending money on more punches when I have a box full sitting there hardly being used.
Wow, that was my first machine, pretty obsolete now

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2017, 09:24 AM   #469  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Funny reading all these comments, I am pretty sure we could add some more to it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2017, 05:21 AM   #470  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

It's been a while since I've added my two cents but I'm still around

I got rid of several archive BOXES of scrapbook paper, tools, Cricuts and cartridges (original and lite version), ink pads, specialty scissors, mini punches, rubber stamps, colored pencils, special paper, and embellishments including ribbon when I purged during my last move. *** was I thinking??? What a waste of money! Never, never again. No more jumping on the band wagon for the latest so called greatest product that is released and demo'd at conventions. I kept only what I use often and need. I replaced the Cricuts with a Scan n Cut, luv it. I invest in basic die shapes which I can use often in my Cuttlebug. As for specialty paper I luv my gelli plates to customize my own.

I practice the Konmari organizing technique to keep a lid on things often. I keep like with like corral-ed in a limited space. If my supplies/materials exceed the allotted space, I have reached my limit, NO MORE until stash is used.
In fact I need to go through my studio again to clean up/organize and put away my jewelry making supplies before I dive back into cardmaking.

Stay cool and enjoy your summer.
Reply With Quote Likes