Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you get your vinyl for cutting machines?

I recently bought a Scan N Cut and want to make some vinyl items. Wall art, decals for cars, etc.

Looking for good sources for those who work in vinyl through hobby cutting machines. Where do you get your vinyl, transfer tape, etc.? Also, what transfer tape do you use for your projects...different kinds for different vinyl?

I am looking at ordering Oracal 631 (removable matte vinyl for wall art) and Oracal 651 (intermediate permanant for car decals and outdoor signs) and have heard some people use different transfer tapes for each kind of vinyl.

Interested in knowing what those who frequently make vinyl stuff do and use?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,127 Likes on 508 Posts

A friend of mine shops at Vinyl Spectrum, Craft Vinyl, or Expressions Vinyl... she does a variety of things, from glass pieces to t-shirts.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2016, 12:07 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Thanks Dina!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2016, 02:40 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sorry I didn't see this post till today. I buy the multicolor set from craft e vinyl on Amazon. It's a good variety pack and cheap. I don't sell my stuff. So for a lot of simple projects for home (and testing designs ). Such as making pantry labels ... I don't need expensive stuff.

Just don't buy from craftvinyl.com or from cheap vinyl (or was it cheap htv).

Here is Amazon link Amazon.com: Craft E Vinyl - 12" x 12" - 40 Sheets Assorted Glossy Colors of Permanent Adhesive Backed Vinyl for Cricut Cutters, CraftROBO Cutters, Pazzles Cutters, QuicKutz Cutters - CEV1200
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2016, 05:19 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the best blog for Silhouette learning. She loves Expressions Vinyl. Check it out even if you have the Scan N Cut. The info she presents can be useful for any electronic cutter.
Silhouette School
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2016, 09:43 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

I�ve made a lot of fun vinyl stuff over the years, and I found out, that a local compagny, who makes decorations for shop windows and for other compagnies trucks and different signs and stuff like that, has a lot of leftovers, that is way biiig enough for my use, so I asked him, if he would sell some in all the different colors, and I got a huge plastic bag filled with even pretty big pieces and many different colors and even in metal as well, and if I would just put a 50,- dkr bill (which is about 8 US $) in their coffeebox, then they were happy, and I can asure you, so were I. But I just don�t think, many people even think about asking in places like this, so if you have any of these compagnies around, where you live, you maybe should go and ask, as they most likely just throw it in the bin, as they can�t use this small pieces for much. So it�s definitely worth asking them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2016, 06:56 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Thank you all so much for your replies!! I actually ended up ordering from a couple of different places because I needed certain items and could get them all together. I got 631 assorted set and the flourescent set from The Vinyl Spectrum because they had all of the 631 colors in one pack. There are many colors I would probably never use, but I wanted to make a chart with all the colors. I also used H&H Sign Supply because I wanted some camo, some glitters and needed some sign blanks and metal posts so I could get everything there. That is where I ordered my 651 and transfer tape from, too.

Since this is all new to me I also just bought some white contact paper from Walmart to practice on. I am going to make our golf outing signs for work this year and some other signs for a cruise we are doing to "learn" how to do this, so I kind of jumped feet first into the vinyl. I hope I love making stuff with it...I have a lot! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes