Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you thinks about this?

Hi All,

I was in the craft store today and, like so many times before, I was looking at the clear acrylic stamps. I REALLY LOVE SU! stamps and I have a LOT of sets. I was looking for a way to store them easily using the least amount of space. I thought...what if I unmounted them and stored them like one would sore the clear acrylic stamps? Would it hurt the rubber? Would it ruin the stamp? What would I do witht he wooden blocks? If I could pull it off I KNOW it would solve my space issue.

so, what do you think? Has anyone already done this and found it a success? horrible mistake? Please tell me about it. I'm very interested to know and would appreciate your experience.

thanks for your time and help.
Tiffany
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I use my SU stamps unmounted. I put them on vinyl cling (a lot of people don't like this method but I use it because it's cheap and easy) and use cd cases to store them. There are a lot of people who have unmounted their already-mounted stamps too.
How do you stamp with them once you have unmounted them? Do you just use the acrylic blocks or do you still have your wooden ones? What do you do with all of your wood from the sets? is vinyl cling better/cheaper than EZ mount?

thank you for such quick feed back.
Tiffany
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MannaKnightView Post
How do you stamp with them once you have unmounted them? Do you just use the acrylic blocks or do you still have your wooden ones? What do you do with all of your wood from the sets? is vinyl cling better/cheaper than EZ mount?

thank you for such quick feed back.
Tiffany
I like to use EZMount and acrylic blocks. But, on my new die-cut stamps, I just use the cling. It's lots cheaper but I've read that is doesn't last as long. I haven't been unmounted for very long so I can't say. I did have some sets that came with cling and they really didn't stick that well after a very short time.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 04:06 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default another thread

there is a thread somewhere on here on this subject. i'll try to find it.

Here's one:

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

There are others too.

Last edited by pjl-ny; 10-03-2008 at 04:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I use tack-n-peel on my acrylic blocks and just lay the bare rubber down on the block when I want to stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

There are lots of thread about going unmounted, many people have done it, including myself!

I used EZ Mount and so now I use my SU! stamps with acrylic blocks. (Even though EZ Mount might be the most expensive option, I felt like it was going to be the only solution that would be permanent and provide the best impressions.) I store them in CD cases. The space savings is a beautiful thing! I'm very happy that I went that route.

Good luck if you decide to do it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 11:26 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Default Unmounting and mounting

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjl-nyView Post
there is a thread somewhere on here on this subject. i'll try to find it.

Here's one:

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

There are others too.
Thank you all so much for your responses to my question. I knew there were probably threads about it but got tired of reading all of the titles after so many pages.
I have one more question. What about not using any mount at all but just peeling off the rubber AND the foam and just sticking the foam to the cd case?
Thanks again
Tiffany
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 11:45 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I have unmounted all my SU stamps. EZ Mount is great but would have been too expensive for all my sets.

I got a few extra acrylic blocks and put Tack N Peel on them. The stuff is GREAT! This way, the block has the tackiness to hold the stamp on and it has a little bit of cushioning. I put a mouse pad under my cardstock for extra cushioning and then stamp.

For storage, I have my stamps in small zip lock bags, all labeled with the name of the set and the number of pieces. They are stored in those photo storage boxes according to Christmas, Autumn, etc.

All the wood and plastic boxes are gone and the amount of saved space is incredible. It now has come down to about 10 photo storage boxes on 1 shelf compared to stamp sets all over the house in rubbermaid containers, boxes and in bookcases.

I am very pleased that I have unmounted them all. I took it right down to the bare rubber. A LOT of work but well worth the effort! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 07:30 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I unmounted all of my sets as well. I use EZ Mount, and the stamps are stored in CD cases. I tried the binder system and found it too cumbersome for me. As far as the wood blocks are concerned, I threw away the ones that had stickers and residue on them. When I get brand new sets now, I just toss the blocks in a basket and periodically list them on the BST forum here. There are always people who want them. I usually offer them for the cost of postage and just ask for a small surprise RAK in return (ribbon, buttons, etc. - whatever the person wants to send).

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 07:33 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Personally, I like using wood mounted stamps. I do have some unmounteds, if that was all that was available. But I have only unmounted one SU set. And that was only because I bought if off ebay and it was trimmed and mounted so poorly that there was no way to salvage the set without taking if off the wood and putting it on ezmount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 07:36 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdjkssssView Post
I unmounted all of my sets as well. I use EZ Mount, and the stamps are stored in CD cases. I tried the binder system and found it too cumbersome for me. As far as the wood blocks are concerned, I threw away the ones that had stickers and residue on them. When I get brand new sets now, I just toss the blocks in a basket and periodically list them on the BST forum here. There are always people who want them. I usually offer them for the cost of postage and just ask for a small surprise RAK in return (ribbon, buttons, etc. - whatever the person wants to send).
thank you so much. I was thinking the same thing about just charging postage. I was thinking that same thing for the cases that the sets came in too. I have all of my sets labeled and image stamped. I figure I could just list what is on the case and then tell them that it is NOT the stamp set but just the labeled case if they want to pay for shipping I will send them to them.
THANK YOU for sharing!! I'm SO excited!!

Tiffany
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 08:30 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MannaKnightView Post
thank you so much. I was thinking the same thing about just charging postage. I was thinking that same thing for the cases that the sets came in too. I have all of my sets labeled and image stamped. I figure I could just list what is on the case and then tell them that it is NOT the stamp set but just the labeled case if they want to pay for shipping I will send them to them.
THANK YOU for sharing!! I'm SO excited!!

Tiffany
I have also traded away a lot of my plastic stamp boxes. But I kept quite a bunch of one size. Not sure which size without running downstairs to look, but one size is exactly the right length for unmounted wheels. I cut the lids off the boxes and then stick either two jumbo or three standard unmounted wheels (on EZ Mount) on the lid. Then I stand all of the lids up in a basket. Works great!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I also use acrylic blocks. I used to sell my wood blocks on ebay but I am done with ebay forever (unless they quit their new ways) so right now they're just sitting in my room, taking up space...

Vinyl cling is not better than ezmount but I just hate to peel all that rubber plus pay for the ezmount (vinyl is cheaper).
Here's one way I use my blocks after I unmount stamps...

http://paperfriendly.blogspot.com/20...e-it-easy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdesignsView Post
Here's one way I use my blocks after I unmount stamps...

http://paperfriendly.blogspot.com/20...e-it-easy.html
wow! I never thought to decorate the blocks....thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes