Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-09-2009, 06:06 AM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is the best 12x12 trimmer?

I need some help! I bought the MM trimmer based on recommendations on this site a while back, but now I HATE it. It cuts crooked, leaves jagged edges, & the arm fell off! They are sending me a replacement, but I am not happy w/ it considering how much it costs!

I need a trimmer that is portable, and one that I can cut SU paper w/ as well as pictures without a problem. If it's self sharpening great, but if not I need to be able to easily find the replacement blades. Another thing I don't like about the MM trimmer is that you can't cut really small pieces, so it's important I can cut 1" pieces for cardmaking too.

I also have had the Creative Memories trimmer - I do like it BUT the blades dull too often & are too expensive & inconvenient to replace & it doesn't cut to 12". I also have the Cricut trimmer (mostly used it to score before my Scor-Pal) but don't like it either. Any suggestions?

I really need a new buy & pretty quick because I am going crazy using a different trimmer each time! Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 06:55 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Wink

Ahh, the paper trimmer question. I was going to say that my original Boston brand, guillitine style office supply store cutter is my most dependable--until you said portable.

I have pretty good luck with the Fiskars personal style cutters (and I've had all variations--triple track, etc, etc) AT FIRST. I think that carrying them around in my stamping tote, over time, causes them to not work as well--I think they get a little off track and then the cutting blade rubs against the side of the channel, just slightly, causing less than clean cuts.

So, for portable, I guess I'd say Tonic, because the one with the smaller cutting surface, is more or less portable . . .
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 07:18 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I just bought the purple cow smart trimmer model 1060. It has the guillotine ands rotary trimmer in one. It folds in half and comes with it's own carry case for portablilty. The rotary cutting bars can be repositioned for angled cutting. It has a plastic rule and a ridgid metal bar. I have only been using it for a couple weeks but I love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

You can get it through scrapbookingalley.com. They are having a 20% discount through august and their shipping is free. When I have ordered from them I got my order within 3 days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

another vote for purple cows' trimmers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

keep the feedback coming.....thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 08:06 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

btt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I have the SU! tabletop paper cutter, which I believe is probably the Tonic one. I love it! It cuts straight, and the extension arm and the handle to the blade both tuck under for storage to make it more portable. I take it with me when I go scrapping and it transports fairly easy. It is a little harder to cut smaller strips of paper but I don't do too many of those, so I can usually manage. Did I mention it cuts straight?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I also bought the Making Memories trimmer based on recommendations from SCS - was very happy with it at first - but found that too "fiddly" - I tend to cut paper quickly so found that it's a nuisance to hold the paper and keep it positioned correctly on the MM trimmer.

Recently bought Tonic trimmers - the table top one and the small portable one (again based on recommendations from SCS :cool. So far, I have found them easy to use and they cut straight - yeah for trimmers that cut straight!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

[QUOTE=ColtsGoalieMom;14847282]I also bought the Making Memories trimmer based on recommendations from SCS - was very happy with it at first - but found that too "fiddly" - I tend to cut paper quickly so found that it's a nuisance to hold the paper and keep it positioned correctly on the MM trimmer.

Recently bought Tonic trimmers - the table top one and the small portable one (again based on recommendations from SCS :cool. So far, I have found them easy to use and they cut straight - yeah for trimmers that cut straight![/QUOTE]

How long have you had the Tonic? All is well so far?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

oops it won't let me edit....it looks like the portable one doesn't cut 12x12?? I could be wrong, just looking at it online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought the small Tonic first to try it out - didn't want to spend the money on the table top - that was a couple of months ago. I keep it right on my desk and use it all the time for smaller pieces of paper.

So a couple of weeks ago I bought the table top Tonic and am very pleased with it so far. It's so easy to line up the paper - right along the top. That was my biggest complaint with the MM trimmer - having to align it with the grid lines and holding the paper still while cutting it - it always shifted as I was cutting it.

With the Tonic I place the paper along the top, hold the plastic paper protector down, and cut. It does take up a bit of space because it is bigger than the MM trimmer - doesn't fit on my desk so I keep it on the filing cabinets beside my desk.

Have bought, tried and gotten rid of:
Fiskars rotary cutter
Fiskars trimmer
Fiskars guilotine (small)
MM trimmer - hidden under my desk, probably going to be given away

Cricut trimmer - actually this one I like and use for quick trims, rather than using scissors.

The Fiskars trimmers I used for years, so didn't feel bad about giving them away. The MM was bought with a 50% off coupon, but was a waste of money. The Cricut trimmer I got 30% off at Michael's (that's another long story :rolleyes

But by far the Tonic - both sizes - are my favourite - bought with 40% off coupons. They're the easiest to use and cut the straightest and are self-sharpening - no replacement blades needed.

Read your new post - the base of the small one is 6 1/4" x 4" - does not cut 12x12 paper :(

Good luck in choosing one that works for you

Maria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Thank you Maria for all your help! I didn't know the tonic was self sharpening....lots of great info here. Right now I have a tiny stamp space, but if we sell our house I will have my own room....not getting my hopes up tho! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Maria,

Where did you buy the tonic that you got to use a 40% off? I have been living overseas for 3 years so I have not gotten to look in stores to see if they have them. But sure will be glad if they do!!

Brandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

You're welcome Jaclyn

The Tonic is self-sharpening in that you have to cut "invisible paper", meaning you use it a couple of times with no paper. I have a small craft room now - it's 8.5' x 9' - you would not believe how much stuff can be crammed into such a small room :rolleyes: Good luck with selling your home!

Hi Brandy,

Two LSS send out weekly emails with coupons - usually 30-40% off, but sometimes 50% off. I managed to get the last Tonic table top trimmer in the store for 40% off. Very pleased with that purchase! Both LSS are near where we do our weekly grocery shopping - so it's easy to pop in a take a quick look. In fact the grocery store, Costco, 2 LSS, Michael's, Staples and Office Depot are all in the same area. Did I mention I enjoy going grocery shopping ;)

Maria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

I have 2 MM trimmers that aren't worth *$&%#. Bought a Tonic (12 X 12) online a few weeks ago and so far I am pleased with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjaayoungView Post
Maria,

Where did you buy the tonic that you got to use a 40% off? I have been living overseas for 3 years so I have not gotten to look in stores to see if they have them. But sure will be glad if they do!!

Brandy
I ordered the Tonic from Joann.com and it was on sale for 40% off and I used a coupon for free shipping. I don't know if they ship overseas or not. I just checked and it is on sale now. Tonic Trimmer

Mine cut straight for about 6 months and then started cutting crooked and jagged cuts. I then got a Dahle 440 and love it. It sure isn't portable though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2009, 02:55 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by isewquilts2View Post
I have 2 MM trimmers that aren't worth *$&%#. Bought a Tonic (12 X 12) online a few weeks ago and so far I am pleased with it.
LOL you couldn't have said it better!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2009, 02:56 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwstamperView Post
I ordered the Tonic from Joann.com and it was on sale for 40% off and I used a coupon for free shipping. I don't know if they ship overseas or not. I just checked and it is on sale now. Tonic Trimmer

Mine cut straight for about 6 months and then started cutting crooked and jagged cuts. I then got a Dahle 440 and love it. It sure isn't portable though.
How long have you had the Dahle? I saw some people like that one but it is large.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2009, 08:32 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by cincistamperView Post
Ahh, the paper trimmer question. I was going to say that my original Boston brand, guillitine style office supply store cutter is my most dependable--until you said portable.

I have pretty good luck with the Fiskars personal style cutters (and I've had all variations--triple track, etc, etc) AT FIRST. I think that carrying them around in my stamping tote, over time, causes them to not work as well--I think they get a little off track and then the cutting blade rubs against the side of the channel, just slightly, causing less than clean cuts.

So, for portable, I guess I'd say Tonic, because the one with the smaller cutting surface, is more or less portable . . .

I have the Boston 2612 that I picked up at a yard sale for 5 bucks... I've had it for a couple of years now and it's by far the best cutter out there. And I've had many, many, many cutters. When I need something portable I use my Fiskars as well and don't have any problems as long as I change the blade regularly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamp Happy SusieView Post
I have the Boston 2612 that I picked up at a yard sale for 5 bucks... I've had it for a couple of years now and it's by far the best cutter out there. And I've had many, many, many cutters. When I need something portable I use my Fiskars as well and don't have any problems as long as I change the blade regularly.
never heard of Boston 2612. Where do you get those?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

btt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 02:56 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

still looking for more opinions......I need a new trimmer BAAAAAD!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 04:50 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Ah yes, the ol' trimmer question.

Also based on recs from here, I've purchased the MM trimmer and the Tonic 12". Had problems with both. I'm on my 2nd Tonic and 4th MM. I switch out depending on which one needs to be replaced at the time.

In between, I revert to my old Fiskars. It can't cut slivers, but it does cut straight and doesn't eat my paper by chewing up the edges - nice feature, LOL.

I've inquired over at Bonnie's about the Genesis. I'm beginning to think it might be worth the wait and cost - whatever they are, but I can't get a reply to my inquiry emails and there's nothing (dated) current on their site. Ugh.

I've also heard mixed reviews on the Carls.

So, in answer to your question. I don't know the best trimmer; I can only share personal experience and that of those I know. I do know this - the best trimmer isn't one I've tried yet, LOL. Sorry that's no help, but at least you know you're not alone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 05:06 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

It's not portable but I've had my Tonic 12" base guillotine trimmer for close to 3 years now and it works perfectly. I can't cut small pieces (under an inch) with it so I keep my cutterpede rotary trimmer on hand for that. Tonic and SU have a 6" base version that would be more portable.

Prior to my Tonic, I exclusively used my Cutterpede rotary trimmer and was mostly happy with it--didn't like how some measurements were off due to the bendy part of the extension arm.

Good luck and I hope you find the trimmer that's right for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks for the info. It seems most trimmers just don't suit us....maybe someone needs to invent one that will do all we are asking! LOL All I know is that I am over my MM trimmer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

If you haven't read this thread yet, there might be some useful info:
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Then for fun, you might want to watch this video from QVC today:
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/v...-from-CRGibson

I'd heard about laser trimmers but had not seen one before.

After watching the video I'm not sure how straight the lines would be, but it was interesting to watch.

Good luck with finding a trimmer/cutter that works for you

Maria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtlescrapperView Post
How long have you had the Dahle? I saw some people like that one but it is large.
I have had it almost 2 years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2009, 05:06 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwstamperView Post
...... I then got a Dahle 440 and love it. It sure isn't portable though.
I want to some day have a Dahle cutter. I simply don't have the space at this time. Some day in the not too distant future, that may change. I bought that danged Making Memories trimmer too, and completely regret it. It just sits under my bed, collecting dust.

For now, I stick with my Fiskars Triple Track. I don't have any problems with it. I bought it with a 50% coupon and have had it for about 5 years. The only negative thing is having to replace the blades.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2009, 06:08 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtlescrapperView Post
never heard of Boston 2612. Where do you get those?

Well Like I said I lucked out and got mine at a yard sale... but I was just on Ebay and saw quite a few of them. But none of them have the paper stopper and if you're looking for one you might want to know what it looks like complete so I'm including a pic with the stopper circled. Not that the stopper is totally necessary but I like having it there... keeps my cardstock from sliding.

Boston_Cutter1.jpg

Last edited by Stamp Happy Susie; 08-15-2009 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: Pic didn't load...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2009, 07:15 AM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

WOW those Dahle's cost too much, don't think I will be getting one any time soon! For now I am using my cheapo cricut one, at least it cuts straight! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2009, 08:07 AM   #32  
Crimping Master

I have a Tonic Tabletop one that I adore!

However, CM has a new Rotary Cutter coming out Sept 1 that features 4 different blades (straight, wavy, scoring and perforating) that I am really looking forward to trying out!! I am hoping that it will be the answer to my problem of the Tonic and Scor Pal being too bulky to carry to crops etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2009, 08:09 AM   #33  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by OakvilleMomView Post
I have a Tonic Tabletop one that I adore!

However, CM has a new Rotary Cutter coming out Sept 1 that features 4 different blades (straight, wavy, scoring and perforating) that I am really looking forward to trying out!! I am hoping that it will be the answer to my problem of the Tonic and Scor Pal being too bulky to carry to crops etc.
Is there anywhere I can read about the new CM one? That sounds interesting. Like I said I love my CM trimmer but it doesn't cut to 12" & the blades are too expensive & too inconvenient to find.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2009, 08:19 AM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

2 days ago I got my Tonic trimmer and LOVE it
Reply With Quote Likes