Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-13-2020, 04:22 PM   #41  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I thought I was responding to your question about safety and why it might not be listed under First Aid? If I missed the point, my apologies. Headache and crazy day.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #42  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamvicsView Post
Do you think if there is resin in it, there's no first aid treatment for it? The bottle lists the same ingredients (without mention of first aid).

From Ranger Ink website: Note: Ranger does not recommend using Tim Holtz® Alcohol Inks,
Metallic Mixatives, Snow Cap Mixative or Alcohol Ink Blending Solution
in spray bottles as these contents contain alcohol and should not be
airborne.

I do see modified rosin listed on this safety sheet: http://edhoy.com/wp-content/uploads/...Rev-033018.pdf

My notes in my crafty notebook say to use 91% alcohol if you want to use it in a spray bottle; the blending solution is not safe to spray/inhale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2020, 11:24 PM   #43  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Now, I am just confused. I am glad I didn't order it yet. Girls- I truly understand crazy headache day for a lot of us.

I read on the warning list not to use the blending solution and Tim's inks in a spray bottle. This was from CheapJoe's- https://www.cheapjoes.com/ranger-tim...-solution.html

I found this old thread mentioning resin- blending solution - Splitcoaststampers Not trying to embarrass
any of our girls here.

I did find this Ranger video- I noticed that the blending solution does stay true color. It moves slower. Do you think it's because of the glycol? I guess that's why I thought there might be a resin in it?

Side note- Isn't her shirt gorgeous? Wow! She is so brave to wear it to demo. I would need to wear a sloppy t-shirt if I had to do a demo because I would destroy that beautiful shirt in ten seconds.

Still no alcohol in my stores. WalMart had a ton of peroxide. I did buy some because DH & I use that a lot. I was kind of running low. My WalMart had hardly any groceries. It was surreal. There were no eggs, hamburger, chicken, rice, bananas, vegetables. I was blessed to get what I needed.

I have to go back out tomorrow because DH bought the wrong pipes for my new dishwasher. I want to cry, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2020, 06:12 PM   #44  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 738 Likes on 358 Posts

Thanks Sue for that link. I saved and printed it. Interesting. One might think a higher concentration would work better but apparently not for sanitizing.

Ok so personally I think if you want to make cells...it is sharper with alcohol. (when you drop it and it creates circles/blobs) This may vary with strength of alcohol? I have not tried it yet.
That was a good vid too about the difference. I wish she had done multi colors with the alcohol and not just the solution. I have the sense that the blender blends smoother so to speak but that also lightens the color. Alcohol will drip but not become smoothed out if that makes sense.

As to what is in it-at Creativation this year TH said no no to spraying blender or having your face close to it. Which is why he came out with a puffer. I already had a rocket style one-but you should know if you are going to make several pieces it could be a lot of squeezing and might tire the hand. On the other hand (see what I did there?) you could have a handshake of iron "Gosh Joe your wife has some grip there!" LOL

What I never understood is why people cut their straws down to 4 inches to blow it around. I keep it full length and my face away from it. You are not working that much harder. Having the little fan there is even better.

Sabrina maybe Scotland has high booze (to differentiate) tariffs to protect your scotch whiskey industry?

Yes-the alloys need to be bound to the paper with either blender or alcohol ink. (or straight alcohol? I dont know that one)

Dont even get me started on the running of the bulls at the stores. So crazy. I am hoping in 10 days when everybody has toilet paper up the ceiling it will calm down again. If this blows over faster than expected we may see the Great TPing of America with people throwing rolls over everything in celebration.

Speaking of-Sandy Allnock did a technique today with TP and I thought oh no no...it is too hard to get right now for me to be playing with it.

That is funny about your dog in the store. Did you DH laugh?

Re peroxide-it is a great stain lifter, esp for blood if you cut yourself. Breaks up the proteins if you get it on there fast.

It is also an ingredient for DIY sanitizer in addition to the alcohol. Look it up on Wired-a sub of the NY Times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2020, 06:25 PM   #45  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Thanks Sue for that link. I saved and printed it. Interesting. One might think a higher concentration would work better but apparently not for sanitizing.

Ok so personally I think if you want to make cells...it is sharper with alcohol. (when you drop it and it creates circles/blobs) This may vary with strength of alcohol? I have not tried it yet.
That was a good vid too about the difference. I wish she had done multi colors with the alcohol and not just the solution. I have the sense that the blender blends smoother so to speak but that also lightens the color. Alcohol will drip but not become smoothed out if that makes sense.

As to what is in it-at Creativation this year TH said no no to spraying blender or having your face close to it. Which is why he came out with a puffer. I already had a rocket style one-but you should know if you are going to make several pieces it could be a lot of squeezing and might tire the hand. On the other hand (see what I did there?) you could have a handshake of iron "Gosh Joe your wife has some grip there!" LOL

What I never understood is why people cut their straws down to 4 inches to blow it around. I keep it full length and my face away from it. You are not working that much harder. Having the little fan there is even better.

Sabrina maybe Scotland has high booze (to differentiate) tariffs to protect your scotch whiskey industry?

Yes-the alloys need to be bound to the paper with either blender or alcohol ink. (or straight alcohol? I dont know that one)

Dont even get me started on the running of the bulls at the stores. So crazy. I am hoping in 10 days when everybody has toilet paper up the ceiling it will calm down again. If this blows over faster than expected we may see the Great TPing of America with people throwing rolls over everything in celebration.

Speaking of-Sandy Allnock did a technique today with TP and I thought oh no no...it is too hard to get right now for me to be playing with it.

That is funny about your dog in the store. Did you DH laugh?

Re peroxide-it is a great stain lifter, esp for blood if you cut yourself. Breaks up the proteins if you get it on there fast.

It is also an ingredient for DIY sanitizer in addition to the alcohol. Look it up on Wired-a sub of the NY Times.

Tim pointed out alcohol would not work for Alloys - only Blending Solution or alcohol ink. I had thought you had posted you had tried Alloys with alcohol and it rubbed off, but maybe it was someone else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2020, 02:54 AM   #46  
Die Cut Diva

wavejumper- You made me laugh so hard about the Great TPing. Thank you. I really needed the laugh.

Side Note- My Mom is a mean and stubborn. Not in a good healthy way. She's also in her eighties with a very bad heart condition. She gets so mean nobody likes to help her. I even have to keep my distance. I am not going to let my eighty something Mother be taken down by Covid. Watching all the elderly pass from this is tearing me apart. I go over to get her set up. No, she does not care. We are all going to survive. Sure, I can get her things. I can get her TOILET PAPER! I am like there is no TOILET PAPER!!!! She was flabbergasted. I am trying to tell her how bad this is. She does watch the news. When I told her they closed the Disney parks that got through to her. Yes, ladies I know a lot of it is age but she would have been like this in her forties. I am trying to get her friends safe & stocked up on supplies since I tend to be their only "family" who can help. They all want toilet paper. They haven't even filled up their prescriptions! I had to go out today and find more staples. I was lucky to. DH & I are going to have to cook for them. They are just not getting it. I understand, I really do. I had to set up a network with my group of friends so we can get meals and staples to them. Hugs and support to all of you who have elderly loved ones who don't understand or want to face it. I know it's frustrating. They all want Toilet Paper. Least, I didn't get asked for rubbing alcohol. I got asked for cookies and pet food.

Yes, my DH did laugh about our dog. She went to see my Mom and her friends. Her friends were like "She is just our sweetest and so fat!" Yeah, somebody is going to have to go on a diet, I guess. This week there is a theme going on about my sweet fat dog, lol. Part of it is her winter coat. I got one of those double coat dogs. She gets shaved next month when we start getting in the eighties.

Peroxide also makes a really great cleaning agent. It makes your faucets shine. I use it for blood too, laundry whitener. Mouthwash, especially if you have a toothache or sinus infection. Be careful with the tooth thing. Follow your dentist's instructions. Really good to mix it with pink himalayan salt- also dentist's instructions. Yes, definitely the hand sanitizer.

I can't even imagine blowing inks around with a straw. That is like a huge no.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2020, 03:22 AM   #47  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Peroxide also makes a really great cleaning agent.

There's a peroxide cleaner they use in hospitals!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2020, 08:26 AM   #48  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by grateful2bsavedView Post
I have 2 full bottles of the 91% alcohol, and I'm quite positive it's because I read something here on SCS that used it. Yes, it was an ingredient in some DIY recipe or another. Why two bottles? I'm sure it's because I bought the first bottle, got sidetracked, forgot I had it, and years later came across another recipe that included it. I won't mention the list of things I thought would be great to make myself and did. Then never really used them. It took me years before I figured out it ended up being cheaper to just buy whatever it was. ROFL I think the real doozy was making my own glue dots and skinny stips of glue. WHAT was I thinking?! :lolo: I had wax paper and glue stuff laid out and drying all over the place.

Oh my goodness, I had to laugh when reading this because it's sounds so much like what I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2020, 05:45 PM   #49  
Proud Fan Club Member

DeeAnn....Peroxyl is a staple in my house after my dental assistant told me some years ago it was going to be my new best friend (I get a lot of dental work done). I think it is safer than straight peroxide. Either way, use it with your head tilted DOWN/leaning over the sink. You do NOT want to be swallowing that stuff by accident!

I had said the alloys had rubbed off when I just laid them straight on the paper with nothing else while making samples cuz I forgot I cant do that. But it is good that you mentioned straight alcohol is not good. Now I know. Thanks

Do we even make TP in this country? Feels like everything has been farmed out. Now there is a job...no closing that plant! LOL

If you guys have small hardware stores by you-check there for TP. Some of them carry it. I saw one but they dont ship.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2020, 05:46 PM   #50  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
There's a peroxide cleaner they use in hospitals!

We may be entering a time where the hospitals smell like lysol again like they did when I was a kid. We all dreaded that smell...now I would welcome it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2020, 06:20 PM   #51  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
DeeAnn....Peroxyl is a staple in my house after my dental assistant told me some years ago it was going to be my new best friend (I get a lot of dental work done). I think it is safer than straight peroxide. Either way, use it with your head tilted DOWN/leaning over the sink. You do NOT want to be swallowing that stuff by accident!

I had said the alloys had rubbed off when I just laid them straight on the paper with nothing else while making samples cuz I forgot I cant do that. But it is good that you mentioned straight alcohol is not good. Now I know. Thanks

Do we even make TP in this country? Feels like everything has been farmed out. Now there is a job...no closing that plant! LOL

If you guys have small hardware stores by you-check there for TP. Some of them carry it. I saw one but they dont ship.

About 90% of toilet paper in the U.S. is manufactured in the U.S. I bet in the next few weeks it will be widely available again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2020, 11:23 PM   #52  
Die Cut Diva

The majority of toilet paper is made in the USA- Is There Really a Toilet Paper Shortage? - The New York Times

I did stock up like a responsible person. One DH & I both have auto-immune issues- lupus & diabetes. Two I am in Peri. It is a creature comfort, lol. Third- DH's job will get hit hard over this. Luckily he is in a field where he's specialty so he will go back to work. Until then I wanted to have extra supplies in our home so all our money can go to paying bills when times are lean. Luckily we don't have a lot of bills.

I know there is not going to be a Toilet Paper shortage because that will be one of the first things to show up on shelves.

I also read that the Asian countries who are coming back online- opening factories, highways, etc will be using the grounded commercial planes as cargo planes.

Remember all those toilet paper techniques back in the day? Those might make a comeback, lol. All that alcohol that everyone bought there will be a huge uptick of new artists doing alcohol ink techniques.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2020, 10:03 AM   #53  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find that the blending solution adds more shine than using the 90 percent alcohol. I have used both I have also made my own ink from the insides of dried out markers ( the colors aren’t as vivid). Local shelves in markets are bare. No eggs milk cookies tp flour bread. Mostly everything gone. Lucky we bought most supplies just before this happened! Best resource for dog food. Chewy.com I ordered over the weekend and they deliver in 2-3 days. Both of my fur babies are rescues and need special food ( the Pom Pom only has 4 back teeth and someone must of broken my maltipoos jaw and it didn’t heal straight.) Among other health issues so chewy.com is just what the doc ordered ! My furry children will have everything they need. Stay safe everyone! Let’s hope For the best but prepare for the worst.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2020, 10:29 PM   #54  
Die Cut Diva

I thought that about the blending solution that our pieces look brighter. The rubbing alcohol is much more faded. I have made a lot of my alcohol inks out of alcohol markers to. Definitely a lighter look but it is pretty. I also use dye ink reinkers and a mix of alcohol. I just mix a little bit and apply to my felt. I get some really cute results.

I love the toilet paper earrings. I am stocked up on pet food. That is the first thing I did. Don't despair everyone. I had to go out tonight. I didn't want to but I really did have to. The shelves are getting stocked and stores are limiting. We are going to live like our parents and grandparents for awhile- rationing, WWII type era. We will get through this.

Trust me I am not being pollyanna. My DH has just been deemed essential worker. I am really scared. He has diabetes. He is healthy and under 50 by a couple of years. I am still scared. For whatever religion or spiritual you are please give our "essential" workers extra prayers and blessings. They really need for us to be strong for them now.

What is the deal with nobody buying soap? Shelves and shelves full of soap but no toilet paper????? What the???? I don't get the toilet paper. I do if you have gastrointestinal issues. Then I get why you bought 100 rolls. The rest of the world no. The alcohol thing gets me to. Alcohol dries out your hands and cracks them open. The virus can get in faster. Reason why some hospitals have a lotion dispenser next to the soap dispenser.

When your eating places are closing that does not mean everyone go congregate at Waffle House. If you were one of the guilty party at Waffle House tonight I am really mad at you. I saw you all in there like it was Thanksgiving day. Crowded with no seating.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 12:45 AM   #55  
Rubber Obsessor

We can’t get hand soap or dishwashing soap or eggs or cookies or ground beef or chicken breasts or fabric softener Some things I understand but don’t understand why I can get laundry detergent and no fabric softener or bleach. Oh well I just went online and bought hubby new socks since I won’t be able to bleach the old ones for a while. Will say prayers you and yours stays healthy. My Dil is a PA in an emergency room and a new mother that just went back to work after maternity leave. Scary stuff! We will all get through this somehow. Just stay safe! There is no over cautious. Our world is changing daily. My craft room is a wonderful albeit temporary escape!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 09:41 AM   #56  
Proud Fan Club Member

Still no bread, wipes, TP, and other things in my supermarket and the crowds thinned out days ago so it is not that. I am friendly with the manager and he just cant get it.

I did order a lot of TP as a person with GI issues. Hope it arrives today. Try CVS -mine has. I saw that after I ordered it of course.

Going forward it will just be about dairy and produce. I was good for meat in the freezer for a long time already. oh and bread. I dont go thru bread fast so a loaf will last me a long time. I did buy bar soap. ;)

MY mayor (NYC) is talking about forced staying at home w exception of doctor appointments and supermarkets...we will see if that happens. They have created 8000 beds and clearly expect a big wave of people. :(

I think those earrings are a RIOT!! Bwahahahaha!

I love that idea of using up every bit of old ink that way
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 10:01 AM   #57  
Rubber Obsessor

I ordered a bread maker like I used to have years ago. Arrived yesterday. Have all ingredients except eggs and yeast. Can’t believe nobody has yeast. I have the tp think covered ( I have a bidet so use much less) stay safe. I am having a Telemedicine appt with dr for reg checkup as I did not want to go into the medical office building. I have known the dr for many many years so was told I can just pay when this is over . We all need to get creative with our day to day living. Because of supply chain we all might be making more of our own crafty supplies soon. Might be fun and help us to think out of the box more often. We will be forced to shop our stash also so we will all have more craft room space to buy the latest and greatest after this mess is over. Just stay safe. Never too cautious until this gets figured out
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 02:42 PM   #58  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

I use to have a bottle of alcohol blending solution before my cat threw it away. Yes, she throws things in my trash basket and I don't notice till I need it. .
The battle is real! I learned to put my trash can under my desk so what ever is on the table will fall to the floor, same goes for the bathroom. She's merciless.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 02:58 PM   #59  
Rubber Obsessor

3ddesigns- Pure-Castile Soaps, Organic Body Care, 70% Organic Toothpastes has the best soaps and free shipping over $35.00
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 06:36 PM   #60  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks.
My fur babies have a bed in my craft room otherwise they woof and wine and run around til I go in other room with them ! Without it I can only spend about 15 minutes in there quietly.

Has anyone had extra time for crafting during this mess?

I am on a mission to use what I have
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 02:32 AM   #61  
Die Cut Diva

I do have extra time. I have a lot of extra time. I am self-isolating. I admit my nerves are wrecked and I have anxiety. I promised myself for the first day of Spring I will go out and try to walk. I live in a pretty isolated area. I am getting back to my room.

I have been doing the frugal making use what you have for years with everything in my life. My parents were depression/WWII children. I grew up around all the adults that remember those days of rationing and making do. They also lived during the Dust Bowl. They really lived in it. They knew hard times and how to make beauty out of it.

I have always been stocking my pantry and finding unique ways to do things from remodeling my home to things I do in my art studio. I am famed for the quirkiness over here, lol. I am so happy to have those skills in my life.

I kind of knew this was coming. I did prepare. It's going to be long and challenging. It's definitely frightening. We will get through it. Our family members of the past got through scary things to and prevailed.

We are in a lot better position now than they were with science, technology. Did you know the Spanish Flu was so bad because a lot of them didn't have basic resources for washing their hands.

I am not downplaying the virus or trying to compare it to a flu. We have had flu virus strains for over 2000 years and covid virus for about 150, if I remember correctly. Novel viruses are always going to be harder to predict. We do have good data on other Coronavirus/SARS to help fight this one and develop a vaccine.

Yes, we are in it for the long haul and life will definitely change. We will survive just as long as we listen to our health experts. They are our warriors right now trying to protect us.

Big bonus we can't complain about our stash anymore. We can actually get through it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 05:11 AM   #62  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I do have extra time. I have a lot of extra time. I am self-isolating. I admit my nerves are wrecked and I have anxiety. I promised myself for the first day of Spring I will go out and try to walk. I live in a pretty isolated area. I am getting back to my room.

I have been doing the frugal making use what you have for years with everything in my life. My parents were depression/WWII children. I grew up around all the adults that remember those days of rationing and making do. They also lived during the Dust Bowl. They really lived in it. They knew hard times and how to make beauty out of it.

I have always been stocking my pantry and finding unique ways to do things from remodeling my home to things I do in my art studio. I am famed for the quirkiness over here, lol. I am so happy to have those skills in my life.

I kind of knew this was coming. I did prepare. It's going to be long and challenging. It's definitely frightening. We will get through it. Our family members of the past got through scary things to and prevailed.

We are in a lot better position now than they were with science, technology. Did you know the Spanish Flu was so bad because a lot of them didn't have basic resources for washing their hands.

I am not downplaying the virus or trying to compare it to a flu. We have had flu virus strains for over 2000 years and covid virus for about 150, if I remember correctly. Novel viruses are always going to be harder to predict. We do have good data on other Coronavirus/SARS to help fight this one and develop a vaccine.

Yes, we are in it for the long haul and life will definitely change. We will survive just as long as we listen to our health experts. They are our warriors right now trying to protect us.

Big bonus we can't complain about our stash anymore. We can actually get through it.
I also am stressed out over this. Self isolation is the only way to stop this. I am doing it as well. I have parents that had me late in life that were ww2 era and was brought up waste not want not. I am the same getting creative with home renovations and such.
My craft room is full of things I need to use before collecting more. Much of the consumables are not things I bought but are things I thought might be cool to incorporate into my “art”
Would love to see what everyone has made
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 05:45 AM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 257 Likes on 138 Posts

I'm also in self-quarantine. I live in a pretty isolated area, but the problem is, people here order lots of things from other places---especially China. Most of my friends do not seem concerned and are running around doing errands, visiting one another, planning get togethers and otherwise not being careful. I have canceled all the things I have control over indefinitely, so have probably made enemies. Since I'm in my 70s and luckily have no health issues, I'm hoping I can stay healthy long enough to make it through this. Be well!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 06:48 AM   #64  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
I'm also in self-quarantine. I live in a pretty isolated area, but the problem is, people here order lots of things from other places---especially China. Most of my friends do not seem concerned and are running around doing errands, visiting one another, planning get togethers and otherwise not being careful. I have canceled all the things I have control over indefinitely, so have probably made enemies. Since I'm in my 70s and luckily have no health issues, I'm hoping I can stay healthy long enough to make it through this. Be well!!!
I am in my 50’s and I live in a suburb of Fort Lauderdale and my husband is a teacher we
are self isolating. Have ordered things online and with non perishable items we open boxes put boxes outside, then wash hands, anything in the boxes gets left in large foyer area to “ age” and not get touched until we need it, then gets wiped down before being put away in our house. After being aged about 1 1/2 weeks everything will be considered safe to put away without having to wipe down. Perishables get either opened up and packaging tossed or like milk containers wiped down and hands washed before putting away.

Many of my neighbors and friends are still out and about and not taking this seriously.

We need to protect out healthcare ppl and health resources by not getting sick.

My daughter in law is er doc at a children’s hospital with an infant at home.
They have not provided any approved masks at all.
Lucky we had a few in garage we were going to use for spray painting that happened to be the n95 she needs to protect herself !
I didn’t know they needed them until yesterday when I asked my son if they had everything they needed and he said yes exceptionalities put on Facebook to their friends that his wife needed masks
Funny I had just what she needed although only a few.

Terrible that I had to supply a children’s hospital er with masks.

They haven’t seen any CoVid-19 cases so far thank g-d. As we are in a hard hit area

So stressed here. I am now going in my craft room to make envelopes for all those odd sized and dimensional cards from the ugly and unwanted portion of my paper stash.
Don’t feel creative but need to do something in here to relax a bit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 07:00 AM   #65  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3ddesignsView Post
I am in my 50’s and I live in a suburb of Fort Lauderdale and my husband is a teacher we
are self isolating. Have ordered things online and with non perishable items we open boxes put boxes outside, then wash hands, anything in the boxes gets left in large foyer area to “ age” and not get touched until we need it, then gets wiped down before being put away in our house. After being aged about 1 1/2 weeks everything will be considered safe to put away without having to wipe down. Perishables get either opened up and packaging tossed or like milk containers wiped down and hands washed before putting away.

Many of my neighbors and friends are still out and about and not taking this seriously.

We need to protect out healthcare ppl and health resources by not getting sick.

My daughter in law is er doc at a children’s hospital with an infant at home.
They have not provided any approved masks at all.
Lucky we had a few in garage we were going to use for spray painting that happened to be the n95 she needs to protect herself !
I didn’t know they needed them until yesterday when I asked my son if they had everything they needed and he said yes exceptionalities put on Facebook to their friends that his wife needed masks
Funny I had just what she needed although only a few.

Terrible that I had to supply a children’s hospital er with masks.

They haven’t seen any CoVid-19 cases so far thank g-d. As we are in a hard hit area

So stressed here. I am now going in my craft room to make envelopes for all those odd sized and dimensional cards from the ugly and unwanted portion of my paper stash.
Don’t feel creative but need to do something in here to relax a bit
I hear you loud and clear. We really need to make sure our health care professionals are safe. We will be in a world of hurt if too many of them get sick. I heard that some nurses are actually making masks from craft items. I wish I could get the list of supplies and the how-to. I would be glad to make masks. I probably have some of the supplies in my overstocked craft room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 07:29 AM   #66  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Thanks.
My fur babies have a bed in my craft room otherwise they woof and wine and run around til I go in other room with them ! Without it I can only spend about 15 minutes in there quietly.

Has anyone had extra time for crafting during this mess?

I am on a mission to use what I have

Mine has her bed on the table, it's the only way I am able to craft #chooseyourbattles
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 07:33 AM   #67  
Rubber Obsessor

Hahaha my dogs are the same way. But not actually on the table. Sometimes I have to craft with one on my lap though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 07:39 AM   #68  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I hear you loud and clear. We really need to make sure our health care professionals are safe. We will be in a world of hurt if too many of them get sick. I heard that some nurses are actually making masks from craft items. I wish I could get the list of supplies and the how-to. I would be glad to make masks. I probably have some of the supplies in my overstocked craft room.
If you find out the supplies and how to Please please let me know and I will be right on it also.
on tv the cdc says they can use scarves and bandanas amd cam still work if they have been exposed!
crazy stuff!!
feels like I am reading an end of the world book and fell asleep and am dreaming about it.
surreal. how can this be happening?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 01:52 AM   #69  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I also am stressed out over this. Self isolation is the only way to stop this. I am doing it as well. I have parents that had me late in life that were ww2 era and was brought up waste not want not. I am the same getting creative with home renovations and such.
My craft room is full of things I need to use before collecting more. Much of the consumables are not things I bought but are things I thought might be cool to incorporate into my “art” Would love to see what everyone has made
My parents adopted me late in life. Definitely the WWII era. My Dad was born when the depression hit. My Mom was born five years before WWII and she lived smack dab in the Dust Bowl. My parents and family were always making do with everything.

The rest of the kids in the family during our childhood, where we would become the X'ers gen, laughed at the old stupid people. I thought they were scholars full of stories and teachings. I was always begging to teach me to can, teach me to garden, teach me to sew.

Definitely my room is found objects. I buy nice tools. The rest is definitely trash to treasure- broken jewelry, packages I have saved the material, lace I have saved from clothes. Hobby Lobby is cool but a bag full of bits and bobs from the thrift store are my favorite loves.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 02:01 AM   #70  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

jeanne- Hugs. I know you can make it through this. You have to. You are one of my favorites. I have a friend in Arizona. She is a social butterfly. She is in her 80's. She has asthma and just got over bronchitis. Nope, not listening.

I am trying to protect a large group of elderly. I think when I write that everyone thinks I am taking care of like four people. No, like two dozen. They are all NOT LISTENING. I am so scared and frustrated.

Make all the enemies you want. You are safe. I hope they will be safe to.

dancingpurplecat- I love your baby so much. She is so pretty.

My clan runs in my room with all their toys. They really do it's the craziest thing. My dog will run in with her bone, then runs back with a stuffed animal. My cat runs in with her favorite bird wand she drags around. My other cat brings in his cat bed. Yes, a cat bed, like a real one made for cats. He drags it all around the house where we are. Sometimes he wears it like a turtle. That is super funny. If I go to the bathroom he runs in with his bed. Go to bed he's running in the bedroom with his bed. I am at my computer desk, right now, in the living room and he put the bed beside me but he stole his Daddy's computer chair to take a nap in, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 04:37 AM   #71  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

jeanne- Hugs. I know you can make it through this. You have to. You are one of my favorites. I have a friend in Arizona. She is a social butterfly. She is in her 80's. She has asthma and just got over bronchitis. Nope, not listening.

I am trying to protect a large group of elderly. I think when I write that everyone thinks I am taking care of like four people. No, like two dozen. They are all NOT LISTENING. I am so scared and frustrated.

My clan runs in my room with all their toys. They really do it's the craziest thing. My dog will run in with her bone, then runs back with a stuffed animal. My cat runs in with her favorite bird wand she drags around. My other cat brings in his cat bed. Yes, a cat bed, like a real one made for cats. He drags it all around the house where we are. Sometimes he wears it like a turtle. That is super funny. If I go to the bathroom he runs in with his bed. Go to bed he's running in the bedroom with his bed. I am at my computer desk, right now, in the living room and he put the bed beside me but he stole his Daddy's computer chair to take a nap in, lol.
So funny a turtlecat! Our pets are such a comfort during times like this. Jeanne you can’t talk common sense to someone who doesn’t want to hear it. I have realized that myself. My neighbor is elderly and has health issues. Insists on going to grocery store every day. Can’t get her to stay home. Finally got her to agree to go every other day :( crazy. I haven’t even been. I was supposed to be in Orlando at the stampand scrap expo right now so let the perishable items run out. I ordered in instacart amazon etc several different stores whatever I could. Got everything we needed. If not we can do without.
There is an app called next door based on local neighborhoods everyone there is talking about which store has what and which has hours for the elderly. I said they should stay in because my daughter in law works in er and has a new baby at home does not need to put her life and family at risk because they wanted the chicken wings at supermarket deli. Also a woman selling handmade face masks. I told her to make them and donate them to hospital or first responders. They shouldn’t be trying to capitalize on a crisis. I got lambasted for telling them what to do I offered to purchase them to donate.
We need to act as a community and stay inside to protect each other and preserve our health resources for as long as we can. Flatten the curve so hospitals aren’t as overwhelmed. Btw the hospital isn’t giving them n95 masks! Luckily I had a few in my garage for chemical stuff. Happy accident they were n95. She went to work this morning and sent us pics in her gear! So sad. Because she just used her sick time for maternity leave if she gets exposed and has to quarantine she won’t even be paid for it.
Sorry to get on my soapbox but all these ppl at our beaches and shopping every day just gets to me.
I had regular dr appt and told them I didn’t want to go in building with all the other drs offices there. We Used telemedicine and electronically sent in prescription which I finally left house to go to drive thru Walgreens. Was so upset to see ppl at the laundromat nearby and at dollar store clothing store Etc etc
These are the ppl that will be the first at er complaining about waiting too long. So frustrating!
Sorry for ranting, thanks for listening everyone stay in and stay safe!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 07:37 AM   #72  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

So funny a turtlecat! Our pets are such a comfort during times like this. Jeanne you can’t talk common sense to someone who doesn’t want to hear it. I have realized that myself. My neighbor is elderly and has health issues. Insists on going to grocery store every day. Can’t get her to stay home. Finally got her to agree to go every other day :( crazy. I haven’t even been. I was supposed to be in Orlando at the stampand scrap expo right now so let the perishable items run out. I ordered in instacart amazon etc several different stores whatever I could. Got everything we needed. If not we can do without.
There is an app called next door based on local neighborhoods everyone there is talking about which store has what and which has hours for the elderly. I said they should stay in because my daughter in law works in er and has a new baby at home does not need to put her life and family at risk because they wanted the chicken wings at supermarket deli. Also a woman selling handmade face masks. I told her to make them and donate them to hospital or first responders. They shouldn’t be trying to capitalize on a crisis. I got lambasted for telling them what to do I offered to purchase them to donate.
We need to act as a community and stay inside to protect each other and preserve our health resources for as long as we can. Flatten the curve so hospitals aren’t as overwhelmed. Btw the hospital isn’t giving them n95 masks! Luckily I had a few in my garage for chemical stuff. Happy accident they were n95. She went to work this morning and sent us pics in her gear! So sad. Because she just used her sick time for maternity leave if she gets exposed and has to quarantine she won’t even be paid for it.
Sorry to get on my soapbox but all these ppl at our beaches and shopping every day just gets to me.
I had regular dr appt and told them I didn’t want to go in building with all the other drs offices there. We Used telemedicine and electronically sent in prescription which I finally left house to go to drive thru Walgreens. Was so upset to see ppl at the laundromat nearby and at dollar store clothing store Etc etc
These are the ppl that will be the first at er complaining about waiting too long. So frustrating!
Sorry for ranting, thanks for listening everyone stay in and stay safe!
Thank you for your "rant" or what I would call wise warnings. I was beginning to think nonsense was coming out of my mouth for all the good it was doing. Our local grocery store set hours for the elderly, too. However, there was a mom in there with 5 kids at that time. Why isn't she home keeping up with their studies? This store also has pick up and delivery on orders on a regular basis. Right now there is no pick up, but they will deliver. You can do everything on line and they will leave it outside your door. That's what we are doing. It's a 3 day wait, but if we had known that we would have planned ahead a bit. We certainly are not in starvation mode. We can live off our extra fat and be healthier for it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 07:41 AM   #73  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Bless you for all you efforts. Please remember to take care of yourself, too.

I'm wondering how you get any crafts done with your elderly work and then the show your animals put on. I would just spend all my time watching those clever critters doing their thing! What a treat!!! Your post gave me a much needed laugh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 08:16 AM   #74  
Rubber Obsessor

If you think about it early hours for the elderly is not even a good idea you get all the people who are most prone to be sick together and one is already sick and doesn’t know it.... delivery is best option. Even better than pickup. What we r doing is as soon as order is delivered I reorder At a different online place because I am only getting about 1/2 of what I try to order. Whole Foods delivers for free if u have amazon prime. Usually their prices in general are high but now I found that ground beef and a few other items are cheaper there than local supermarket. Also they are good for fresh produce. Walmart now delivers groceries also amazon pantry was good for dry goods but as of last night they closed up for “restocking”. But you can still order household things and some dry goods on amazon if you aren’t too picky about brands. We are managing. We will not starve that is certain! I keep telling anyone who will listen not to go out. They keep changing how easily you can get this virus from people or touching something. I am definitely not a germophobe and my house is not usually disinfected clean. During this pandemic we really need to rethink the ordinary things. I need a light fixed and we decided to wait. Don’t want electrician in house. Also was going to have some other things done. We can live with it until ppl are safe or figure it out ourselves.
If someone comes in with virus who knows what exactly to wipe down . I can’t make myself crazy about it so nobody in. Deliveries get boxes empty in foyer and boxes put outside. Non perishables stay in foyer until needed and wiped off before using as much as possible. Hand washing also. We don’t really need the sanitizer because we are home near sink which is better. Too much to think about !! Stay safe everyone. You can’t be too cautious with the unknown.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 08:22 AM   #75  
Rubber Obsessor

Btw we are in Broward county Fl. Hardest hit area in state. State government talking about shutdown like California because so many aren’t testing this seriously ! Beaches are or were full past few days!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 09:08 AM   #76  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Btw we are in Broward county Fl. Hardest hit area in state. State government talking about shutdown like California because so many aren’t testing this seriously ! Beaches are or were full past few days!
So glad you are taking the necessary precautions. Good for you. Be well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 10:19 AM   #77  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

If you find out the supplies and how to Please please let me know and I will be right on it also.
on tv the cdc says they can use scarves and bandanas amd cam still work if they have been exposed!
crazy stuff!!
feels like I am reading an end of the world book and fell asleep and am dreaming about it.
surreal. how can this be happening?
This link was provided on a show I was watching last night, with a video and how-to to make the masks. I'm doing that today for our local hospitals:
How to Make a Face Mask

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 10:24 AM   #78  
Pearl-ExPert

Sue, I'm on this! Thanks s much for providing the instructions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 10:55 AM   #79  
Inking Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by grateful2bsavedView Post
I have 2 full bottles of the 91% alcohol, and I'm quite positive it's because I read something here on SCS that used it. Yes, it was an ingredient in some DIY recipe or another. Why two bottles? I'm sure it's because I bought the first bottle, got sidetracked, forgot I had it, and years later came across another recipe that included it. I won't mention the list of things I thought would be great to make myself and did. Then never really used them. It took me years before I figured out it ended up being cheaper to just buy whatever it was. ROFL I think the real doozy was making my own glue dots and skinny stips of glue. WHAT was I thinking?! :lolo: I had wax paper and glue stuff laid out and drying all over the place.
Same here. I can tell you the amount of stuff I re-bought because I didn't remember I had it already! Old age...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 11:10 AM   #80  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
This link was provided on a show I was watching last night, with a video and how-to to make the masks. I'm doing that today for our local hospitals:
How to Make a Face Mask
Thank you! I am going to try to make them. I do have a sewing machine but have never really sewn more than a seam repair or something very simple. Definitely worth doing!!! Wonder if all the hospitals will accept them. Hate to do it and not have them able to use them
Reply With Quote Likes