Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #281  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,125 Likes on 507 Posts

Oh, how fun! I love their line of Albrecht Durer watercolor pencils - they are so creamy and vibrant. Are yours the Design Memory Craft line?
Vincent Van Gogh

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #282  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the rest of the world is starting to realise what we already knew. LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #283  
Insane Embellisher

I understand that there are 3 different lines they carry,,,,a green line, a blue line and I don't remember the third

the lines I saw were the blue line which I understand is the mid range.

I have coloured some stamped images with them and love them....way different than copic look..........I think I just might like it better
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #284  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very pleased with my extensive investment in water color pencils, water color crayons, and Copics. I am making my own paper, coloring over stuff that's been hanging around forever! I love to color in my stamps, so I'm using more of the stamps I've collected over the years. I don't purchase embellishments at all anymore, I make everything or I alter something I ripped out of a book or magazine, using my cool coloring stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #285  
Kookie Creator

Do you like the SU watercolor pencils? I have not invested in any yet and keep thinking about it. Would you recommend something else?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #286  
Matboard Maniac

I have very nice Stampin'Up pencils and I like them. But I prefer my Derwent, esp the Inktense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #287  
Matboard Maniac

I should add, if you want to do your own paper coloring and also color in rubber stamps, and you are on a limited budget, then water color pencils are your best investment. Don't worry about Copics or high--cost products like that. One set of water color pencils, some Dove blender solution, a stump or blender, and a water-filled brush set like the new ones from Tim Holtz can take you everywhere you want to go for much less investment. Get a nice wide selection, like the set from Stampin' Up with lots of different shades, that's the trick. My first set of Caran d'Ache water color markers were only 15 colors and that was really hard to work with, plus once I had that limited set I couldn't expand unless I bought the same ones again in a larger set. One thing about good color pencils (like Derwent) is that you can buy them individually.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 01:12 AM   #288  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

cakhuxel- I peeked at your blog. I really love it. I am going to read it later.

I am so jealous you went to NY Comic Con. I am just green eyed jealous right now. ;) I love your craft hutch.

eyestitch- A couple of years ago I was going to do some serious buying of SU products. I am not a huge SU devotee but I love their color lines. I was doing huge research on ink pads, reinkers, watercolor pencils, crayons and all their coloring tools. I am frugal by nature so I research to the hilt on expensive purchases. I know the SU watercolor crayons are not expensive but they were when I was adding them to all my other purchases.

I did a huge search over here for SU watercolor crayons and the general consensus was the crayons were not that popular and if I remember right did not really follow with SU's color scheme. SU customers were using Lyra's and Derwents. Most of the ladies here recommended the SU crayons over the watercolors. I hope that helps.

I never bought the pencils but I did buy a set of the watercolor crayons that I really do like.

Last edited by lylacfey; 10-31-2012 at 01:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 04:05 AM   #289  
Matboard Maniac

Comic Con was awesome! My husband and middle son go every year (we are NYer's living in NH) and I go along to visit friends and shop. This year I decided I wanted to check out Artist Alley so I got a Sunday ticket. It was my first time, and I was blown away! The one thing I took away with me from the experience was the joy and optimism that the people- especially the kids- threw into the event. Costumes everywhere! Laughing, sword fighting, games, more laughing. Sunday was Kids Day, and everywhere I looked there were kids sitting on their 20-something father's shoulders, and a surprisingly large number of young children holding hands with older brothers. I was just so impressed. No matter what bad stuff you hear on the news, out there in The Real World people are living their lives, and making every day count.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 04:13 AM   #290  
Matboard Maniac

I agree about the Stampin' Up pencils. I keep mine in my portable art kit, for travel. I much prefer my Derwents. But if you aren't into serious art products and just want one set with a decent range of colors, then Stampin' Up is a good bet. I had been dreaming about a set of Caran d'Ache water color crayons, $77.44 for a set of 40. Hello!!! This past weekend I was at a rubber stamp store yard sale, and found a brand new set of 48 Lyra for $20. Sure, the Lyra isn't as good as the Caran d'Ache.... but the price was right!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 02:22 AM   #291  
Die Cut Diva

I have an edit on my message I wrote yesterday. I wrote SU crayons were not that popular and I meant to say pencils. The ladies over here loved the pencils. I am a dork.

Cakhuxel- I am still jealous of Comic Con, lol. New York would be a lot of fun. Con geeks are just the best. They are sweet and friendly.

I read your blog yesterday. I loved it. I really loved the post Art & Chemistry. I read it to my DH. That one hit me hard because I feel the same way. Now, I don't feel so alone. I am a smart girl but I like simple when I craft. Somerset mags and RSM are my favorites too. I subscribed to your blog.

I read Lyra's are Stampin Up color pencils.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 05:31 AM   #292  
Matboard Maniac

The best part of Comic Con was the Cosplay. See how happy these people are? 140,000 people, all smiling.
Attached Thumbnails
Water color chatter-img_1213.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #293  
Die Cut Diva

I love their outfits. They are sooo cute! I was yabbering about Comic Con to my DH earlier, lol. My DH was like "Next year we are doing Comic Con in California." I hope so. I will be lining up tickets for the panels I want to get into. We also want to do Game Con too. I don't know which one will pull us more. I hope we can do both. That would be fun. The only people who are allowed to be grumpy at Comic Con are Klingons since that is part of their personality, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 04:34 AM   #294  
Matboard Maniac

Oh, DeeAnn. I hope you are not disappointed. Comic Con San Diego is something you need to plan years in advance. The people who went the year before get first crack at the tickets, and they sell out in 3 hours. Then you have to wait till they have the second round of sales for people who have never been before, and those tickets go even faster. All the surrounding hotels are already booked. I live in NH and all the flights that week are $800, that's how popular the event is. I suggest you get on the official mailing list and cross your fingers. If it works out, you can send me photos!! We are going to the '15 San Diego Comic Con, to celebrate my husband's retirement!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #295  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakhuxelView Post
Oh, DeeAnn. I hope you are not disappointed. Comic Con San Diego is something you need to plan years in advance. The people who went the year before get first crack at the tickets, and they sell out in 3 hours. Then you have to wait till they have the second round of sales for people who have never been before, and those tickets go even faster. All the surrounding hotels are already booked. I live in NH and all the flights that week are $800, that's how popular the event is. I suggest you get on the official mailing list and cross your fingers. If it works out, you can send me photos!! We are going to the '15 San Diego Comic Con, to celebrate my husband's retirement!
I have an "in" to get some of the tickets. I hate saying that because it makes me feel so elitist. I wanted on the Supernatural panel and I had better luck setting next to the Queen at the Summer Olympics. I found out real quick how fast the tickets go. I was disappointed. I was invited too a couple of panels this year but I couldn't go. :( One of my game tech friends is always telling me to come down and stay at his place. Boy, that sounds so wrong, lol. We have been friends for years and he's friends with my hubby. We will stay at his place and all go together. I am hoping we can go next year but I will probably be there for 2015. I will be living out in that area around then.

Rock Star just announced this week the new Grand Theft Auto will be coming out next May. DH & I are hoping there is a release party for that one and we can get in. I am already trying to pull some strings, like beg my gaming cliques to get in, lol.

We are planning a huge move. It's been a looong time coming with too many delays. My DH wants to move back to the Pacific coast. We can't afford to do a game convention and Comic Con. We are trying to figure out which one would be more fun for us. I think we are leaning towards gaming.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #296  
Matboard Maniac

That's all very exciting, DeeAnn! I think I would hit the gaming party because that's once in a lifetime. Comic Con will be there when you get there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #297  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I am so glad I found this thread, ladies. I am interested in learning watercoloring with pencils (I see the brand FAber Castell is popular) and am also curious about coloring with Prismacolor pencils. I have been reading that thread (coloring with pencils), but there is a LOT to get through.
Here is my very basic question. What is the difference between using watercolor pencils such as the Alrecht Durers and using regular Prismacolor pencils?? What is the advantage/disadvantage of each??
I currently watercolor with reinkers and an aquapainter but want to branch out and improve my technique and finished piece.
Also, has anyone tried the stampin'Up watercolor pencils? Just curious if they are even worth considering.

Thanks so much for your input!

Lee Ann

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #298  
Kookie Creator

I have been reading about the Derwent Intense watercolor pencils here and they sound really great!!!

How much do you like your Derwent Inktense pencils? by MollyStamps at Splitcoaststampers

Any input on them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #299  

I loooooooove my Inktense pencils! I have a short video on my blog.........

Mama Dini's Stamperia: Inktense Pencils
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2013, 05:14 AM   #300  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

cast my vote for inktense as well and I too have a video: Watercolor Pencils: Let’s use them! � Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog

Watercolor pencils are dryer and more transparent to color with where as Prismacolor (wax based) pencils are more opaque and creamy feeling. The prismacolors show up beautifully on dark paper as well! I use both! Prismacolor are my favorite wax based and Inktense are my fave watercolor because they are super bright. I also like Caran d'Ache watercolor crayons..oh, i like everything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #301  
Kookie Creator

Dini and Lindsay, thank you for your videos. I am convinced. When I go to my daugher's, I will have to go to Dick Blicks to look at Intense pencils. Lindsay, I see you had the 72-color tin. Do you think you should go "whole hog" and get the 72, or is that overboard?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #302  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

So it sounds like water color pencils vs Prisma colors is just personal preference.
I watched both videos (Dina's and Lindsay's)-thank you, ladies, very helpful-
I think what I understood from yours, Dina, is that the Inktense pencils are less forgiving than other water color pencils because they are ink and once dry cannot be worked with? Did I get that right? So would you say that they are more difficult for a beginner to use?
Regarding the Prismacolors, do you have to use some kind of a blending medium with these? I keep hearing different things-baby oil, OMS (whatever that is) etc.
As far as the SU pencils are concerned, sorry I missed the threads right above here-sounds like the are probably not what I would want.
Thank so much!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #303  

Well, watercolor pencils vs. Prismacolors...... I have both. They're different and I like variety. There's probably more of a learning curve where water is concerned, as opposed to blending with a solvent.

I just finished a video about different ways to blend blendable pencils (Wax/oil-based) but I don't have internet at the house at the moment, so I haven't been able to upload it. I have a video in the tutorial section about blending/shading with pencils (no solvents used in that video) and that is here: Splitcoaststampers - Tutorials

I have allergy head today, so I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense!! xoxo
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #304  
Die Cut Diva

Dini- Hugs, I hate allergy heads. :( It's the worse. Some of my most confusing and goofiest posts have been due to allergy heads.

Lee Ann- I use Prisma's & Inktense. I don't really use a blending medium with my Prisma's. I use shading techniques. I never really even knew there were blending mediums for color pencils until I got into the stamping world. Since then I have used blending mediums. I like to use them for a different look. I use OMS.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 AM   #305  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyestitchView Post
Dini and Lindsay, thank you for your videos. I am convinced. When I go to my daugher's, I will have to go to Dick Blicks to look at Intense pencils. Lindsay, I see you had the 72-color tin. Do you think you should go "whole hog" and get the 72, or is that overboard?
Overboard...hmmm. maybe but I got a good deal at Blick online and I am glad I did!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2013, 02:14 AM   #306  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by whippetgirlView Post
So it sounds like water color pencils vs Prisma colors is just personal preference.
I watched both videos (Dina's and Lindsay's)-thank you, ladies, very helpful-
I think what I understood from yours, Dina, is that the Inktense pencils are less forgiving than other water color pencils because they are ink and once dry cannot be worked with? Did I get that right? So would you say that they are more difficult for a beginner to use?
Regarding the Prismacolors, do you have to use some kind of a blending medium with these? I keep hearing different things-baby oil, OMS (whatever that is) etc.
As far as the SU pencils are concerned, sorry I missed the threads right above here-sounds like the are probably not what I would want.
Thank so much!
Usually I just uses lighter shades to burnish and blend with and sometimes goo-gone if working on light color paper. Also prismas are great for layering over Copic work. You can also blend them a bit with a clear alcohol marker (save one for this purpose) or a clear wax blender. You will see what you like best once you try them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #307  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Thanks for all of your knowledge, ladies. I think I am going to start with Prismas. I am assuming you recommend Prismacolor Premier vs Scholar? There really is not too much of a price difference, but looking at all the products. I did check out the Dick Blick site and found some good tutorials there. They mention a couple of different blending products, but I am assuming they are just trying to sell their products.
Dina, I would love to see your latest video on coloring when you finally get your internet back. That has got to be seriously frustrating! Hope you are feeling better, too!
I am fortunate to have a Dick Blick about 1/2 hour from me so it will be fun to go there and just look and learn the products.
Thanks for you input,
Lee Ann

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #308  

The amount of pigment will be higher in the premier pencils - I'd think you'd be happier with them.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #309  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Thanks, Dina! Glad you got internet back, at least for now!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #310  

I know, YAY!!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #311  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I am getting ready to purchase Dewent Inktense pencils and right now I have a 36 pencil set in my "cart". Do you think there is an adequate color selection in the 36? Also, what colors do you use for skin?
Thanks so much!

Lee Ann

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #312  

All the colors are really bright, but they can be toned down depending on how you use them... if you color directly to the paper then blend, just color really lightly... or if you pick up color from the pencil with a wet brush or waterbrush, blend with lots of water or just grab a little pigment.

I have bought them individually instead of in sets. I tend not to use bright primary colors, so sometimes even if I pay a little more I like being choosy. I have 39 pencils, so 27 of them I bought individually after my initial set of 12.

From what I have, Scarlet Pink or Tangerine are warmer red oranges that would work for skin tones.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #313  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Thanks, Dina! I just changed my order from 36 to 24.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #314  
Matboard Maniac

Here is a class on Inktense:

Derwent Inktense
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #315  
Kookie Creator

Dini, where do you buy them individually. I have not found any locally. Looking online is not a good color match. I would want to match SU colors. Is there any source for that so I don't have to buy so many?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #316  

I have a link to dickblick on my blog, and I wait for good sales. They always have some kind of sale, but every so often they'll have a lower minimum - like $79 - or they'll have free shipping.

You're right about the color swatches online not being a good match. I like to search for hand-colored charts on sites like deviantart or wetcanvas - even then it's difficult to match with a color set from another company or line. But google "inktense color chart" for a good idea of what you'll get getting when you order online, and what the pencils look like blended - I was surprised that a lot of the primary colors look similiar to each other... another reason I like to pick them out individually so I don't have too much overlap of colors I don't use often (like blues!!).

Here's a great chart that shows the pencils dry, then blended out.
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...ov-d3eue23.jpg
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #317  
Kookie Creator

Dini,

Thanks so much for that chart. I will save the link to refer to when I need it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #318  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

OK Ladies, cold press or hot press watercolor paper? Did not even know two different kinds existed until I went to the store to buy some. Also, can you use water color paper for Prismas?
Thanks!
Lee Ann

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #319  
Crimping Master

whippetgirl...your desired effect will determine what kind of wc paper you use. ..HP is smooth ( more for very detailed stamps IMO) and CP is a rougher texture..you can also get good details with it, depending on exactly how rough it is. For me..for cards I like a smooth paper as I do like detailed stamps.

Now as for using prismas on wc paper..I have never had a great deal of luck with that..but there is a blogger here ( SCS) .. I linked to her once but will try to find her for you again..her name is Louise ( she's in the UK if memory serve me) and she get phenom results with that pencil/paper combo..

I would suggest getting a couple of sheets of both ( you can buy open stock in most art supply stores and on line as well) and just see what you prefer..and have fun!! You will learn so much more by having fun and practicing!

ok..off to search for her blog..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #320  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin OneView Post
whippetgirl...your desired effect will determine what kind of wc paper you use. ..HP is smooth ( more for very detailed stamps IMO) and CP is a rougher texture..you can also get good details with it, depending on exactly how rough it is. For me..for cards I like a smooth paper as I do like detailed stamps.

Now as for using prismas on wc paper..I have never had a great deal of luck with that..but there is a blogger here ( SCS) .. I linked to her once but will try to find her for you again..her name is Louise ( she's in the UK if memory serve me) and she get phenom results with that pencil/paper combo..

I would suggest getting a couple of sheets of both ( you can buy open stock in most art supply stores and on line as well) and just see what you prefer..and have fun!! You will learn so much more by having fun and practicing!

ok..off to search for her blog..
Thanks much! I did buy both, stamped my first image on the hot press paper. Don't know yet what I will be buying in the future, but got a great in-store special on a 2 pack, which had one of each pad.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes