Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-10-2007, 04:36 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanted a cuttle bug but what now??

I had really planned on getting a cuttle bug for Christmas but am unwilling to since discussing their angel policy with them...see other thread regarding provo craft policy. I am not willing to use something from a company that expects me to use ONLY their product nor will I use those that do not want me to sell their product (big smiles on SU change of policy)
So here is the real question is there anything else that will do basically the same thing?? as the cuttle bug ie dry embossed.

ASAP..... Always Say A Prayer
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 04:57 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Please help me!! I love the embossed look...but do not want to get something that I can not legally use!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 06:12 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Is there nothing else that will do??? Pretty please??!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 06:14 AM   #4  
Google Master

what about the fiskars or sizzix embossers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 06:20 AM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the wizard can emboss- not sure of their policy tho
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 07:53 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I am not familiar with the previous thread that you are referring to, but I pretty much get the content of it from your post. If I am understanding this right they don't expect you to create anything without all elements of that project being Provo Craft, is that right? If so, that is just plain silly (IMO) so I won't even waste my time commenting on that one. As far as their angel policy for selling items with their products on them, well, that one is almost just as crazy. It would be impossible for them to track down EVERY item that is for sell with their products on them...don't get me wrong, I know that LEGALLY they have the right to pursue this, but don't you think they have bigger fish to fry?

I am guessing that on principle alone you are not buying the CB, and that is certainly your right. I have the same feelings about SU, but I sell my items with their products anyway, (and yes, I know they are changing that policy) and BELIEVE me, I am not the only one. Check out EBAY, I don't sell my items there, but plenty of people do, including demo's.

Anyhoo, I never cut off my nose to spite my face, so I would buy it anyway...But then I am somewhat of a rebel :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 08:05 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

What does everyone think of the Friskars one?? Had kinda thought about the sizzix too but also want feedback on how well it works. What is the wizard...what a toy I don't know about oh goody!!!! Please tell me more!! I do not go against my own principles...that is what makes them my principles. I do not feel this is cutting off my nose to spite my face but instead standing up for what I believe in....and thus encouraging the appropriate changes in companies and their policies. SU has changed and others will likely follow if enough people stand for what is right.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 10:58 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Honestly, I would just go with the Big Shot, lol. Virtually the same thing. The Wizard will also work, but from the looks of it, it seems to require more effort (if that's an issue for you).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 12:36 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

DH got me a Sizzix Bigshot just a couple of weeks ago and I love it. I'm an embossing fool with it as well as enjoying th die cutting. I do have a set of Fiskars embossing plates that are meant to be used with a stylus of some kind but I ran it through my Big Shot with the Multi-purp-platform and although it worked ok, the impression was not as pronounced as it should be. Probably best to use it the way they intended ;)

I haven't used the CB or Wizzard, am new to die cutters/embossers. Also don't know whether Sizzix has any kind of angel policy?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Default angel policy

Honestly, in all my years (and there have been a few) I've never heard of anyone ever being approached by the Provo, SU or Cuttlebug Police. Have any of you? If so, I'd like to know how it was handled as I'm sure others here would also be interested.
Waiting to hear
Daisy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I would recommend the Spellbinders Wizard. The Wizard was made to be Universal. It was made to use other manufacture dies and stencils and misc items. Check out their policy here. http://www.spellbinders.us/ct/store/cat_legal.asp

Spellbinders has wonderful customer service and if you would like to double check the ability to use other manufacture dies and texture plates, please call them t 1-888-547-0400.

If you check out the Spellbinders Web Site, watch the "Wizard Video" That might help you decide too.

Good Luck and Happy Shopping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

So has anyone checked the angel policies of Wizard, Fiskars, Nestabilities, or Sizzix--which was formerly under the Provo Craft umbrella?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 02:38 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymamaView Post
So has anyone checked the angel policies of Wizard, Fiskars, Nestabilities, or Sizzix--which was formerly under the Provo Craft umbrella?

The Wizard (Spellbinders) is good. You just can not use it for Commercial Use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 02:52 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Sorry, I wanted to make sure I was giving proper information to all of you. I found this on the Spellbinders Web site in the "Frequently Asked Questions" section. http://www.spellbinders.us/ct/store/cat_FAQ.asp

Quote:

Question: Can I use other companies' dies in the Wizard? Answer: Yes! For information about cutting and embossing with products from other companies, download this Compatibility Reference Guide.

The Compatibility Reference Guide is a link to suggested sandwichs for other manufacture dies and products.

Hope this helps,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 05:13 PM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

I found the angel policy on the Sizzix site, it's at the bottom of the page under "legal notices" (don't think I can link it since I'm new). hth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 07:57 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Maybe I am missing something. No one can tell by looking whether you used a Cuttlebug or a Wizard or a Big Shot. The copyright issue is with the dies or embossing folders themselves. So if you're using Cuttlebug embossing folders, it doesn't matter what machine you are using them in, right? What don't I understand?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2007, 04:18 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Each Warranty is for that companies specific products.

Few will cover their product if used in another manufacture's machine. Or if the machine breaks because of using other manufacture products. They will not cover then either.

Doing research first to know who will cover and who wont cover is very smart, I think.

In the past, I had the Sizzix red system and had 2 dies break. I know it can happen. I think it's better to know your options up front then to learn the hard way.

Just my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2007, 04:52 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by amysingsView Post
Maybe I am missing something. No one can tell by looking whether you used a Cuttlebug or a Wizard or a Big Shot. The copyright issue is with the dies or embossing folders themselves. So if you're using Cuttlebug embossing folders, it doesn't matter what machine you are using them in, right? What don't I understand?
You're right. I was assuming that people were suggesting that other companies dies/embossing plates may have a less strict angel policy.

For reference, here is Sizzix' policy:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sizzix
Thank you for selecting the Sizzix Die-Cutting System as your choice to create great looking die-cut shapes for your personal use.

Although the Sizzix System is not intended or designed for commercial use, you are welcome to use it for limited commercial purposes so long as your projects are limited in scope and local in nature. Unless otherwise authorized, Internet sales and any reproductions using our die-cut shapes, in any media, are strictly prohibited.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 08:40 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisy453View Post
Honestly, in all my years (and there have been a few) I've never heard of anyone ever being approached by the Provo, SU or Cuttlebug Police. Have any of you? If so, I'd like to know how it was handled as I'm sure others here would also be interested.
Waiting to hear
Daisy
I do know someone who was sent a cease and desist letter from SU. She had talked to her demo about selling cards made with SU images, the demo told her it was okay. A few months later the demo saw the cards in a store and turned the person in instead of telling them that it was not okay.
Carolina Girls Shoebox Swap #7 - June 13, 2009
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 05:17 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I really appreciate all the help! I do not believe that you could "legally" use the dies from a company such as the provo craft cuttle bug dies in another machine and get by their policy but it appears the others suggested are more open to what I intend to use it as....I design and hand do wedding invitations and other such items....so limited in scope some what but often have more than the 200 limit of Provo craft...and I do not feel that just their embossed layer makes much of a card! I want to be able to use embossed layers along with stamped layers and to sell what I make without compromising my principals of staying within the law (although I must admit I do speed a bit vbg ) I do try to keep within the intent of the law as much as possible especially in business matters. thanks again for all of your input!! I will look at these suggestions and research a bit to see what is the most versatile for my "business" (we all know it is more hobby and fun than anything =)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 06:24 PM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbossyView Post
I do have a set of Fiskars embossing plates that are meant to be used with a stylus of some kind but I ran it through my Big Shot with the Multi-purp-platform and although it worked ok, the impression was not as pronounced as it should be.
I've found that if I include a piece of sturdy cereal box (or two layers of the flimsy cereal boxes) in addition to the rest of the 'sandwich', my Fiskars texture plates emboss as deeply as the Sizzix Texturz plates with a normal 'sandwich' (sans cereal box layer).
Reply With Quote Likes