Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-23-2009, 06:46 AM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

other than GP what other "cheap" CS is available?? Officemax, staples, etc??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2009, 06:55 AM   #42  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappingmelissaView Post
other than GP what other "cheap" CS is available?? Officemax, staples, etc??
I have read that some folks like Staples white cardstock (but no Staples here so I can't offer any opinions).

I am sorry you had a poor experience with GP. I've bought several reams over the years and have found it to be a nice paper for the price. It's one of the few cardstocks I can run through my ink jet printer for digi images. Colors nicely for me and if I goof, I'm not worried that I've wasted my money.

IMO you might contact GP directly and let them know your opinion. Can't hurt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2009, 07:04 AM   #43  
Die Cut Diva

I use GP for all the cards i make for the hospital tray favors and children but when it comes to my holiday cards and adults i use SUWW. I think just about everyone is on a budget these days and has to use what they can afford. Both work well for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #44  
Pearl-ExPert

this may be a good option

http://www.papertemptress.com/detail...keywords=ion??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #45  
Glitter Guru

I use the GP white. I could buy more expensive paper, but I am way too cheap to do that. I do alot of coloring, Copics (though I'm not very good with them yet), pencils, watercolor markers, etc. The GP works fine for all of those. I'm leary of trying a more expensive paper and finding I have to have it. I really like being able to get it a 2 am when I've run out.

Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty2004View Post
thanks! i was feeling a bit beaten down and i appreciate your support. i have an unemployed husband of seven months and trust me, my stamping hobby is LAST on the list of purchases. i find my card hobby very theraputic and i like my walmart GP, guess i am seeing my glass 1/2 full. no PTI or Gina paper here, not in the budget. i am sure it is wonderful, but for now my cards (which have yet to be handed back LOL)will be made on GP paper, and i am grateful that there is such a paper out there.
Janice, do you have any paper distributing warehouses in your area? When I make cards for sale I have to keep my material costs as low as possible, but I really didn't like using Georgia Pacific because (as you discovered) it wasn't the best for stamping on -- when I used it, the edges of the image would always start feather and bleed after just an hour or two! The thickness was also uneven, and if I held a sheet up to the light I could see through it in a few spots. Tried the "quality" card stock from the office supply store, too, and it was no better. So frustrating!

Now I use Mohawk Color Copy in either 80# or 100# weight cover stock purchased locally from Frank Parsons Express, a chain with several locations on the east coast. It does cost a bit more than the GP from Wal-Mart, but it's also the only lower-cost card stock I've found that compares to Whisper White. I still love my SU! paper and for colors I use that exclusively, but for neutral bases by the hundred the Mohawk can't be beat IMO and it's still got a quality smooth surface for stamping if I'm doing no-layer cards.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 03:13 AM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I always use GP from Walmart. It is not the greatest but it works and it is cheap. I use markers, Copics, Prisma markers and Prisma pencils on it. It takes a bit to get use to but I like it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 05:09 AM   #48  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess (Retired)

Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

I love Georgia Pacific. I use it to color images with Copics. And I personally don't care for the glare of the whisper white. However, the whisper white works best for my SU inks and markers when stamping bold images that need no or little coloring. I no longer use pencils and crayons, so I can't speak for that.
Limited Supplies, Featured Stamper, Clean & Simple
FS143 / QFTD93 
Past Design Teams: DRS Designs, Rubbernecker  
Past Guest Designer: Gina K Designs 
CAS. Embellished. It's all good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 05:20 AM   #49  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Surely people can offer their opinion without being disparaging - not everyone has lavish budgets in this hobby and GP is their paper of choice.

As we are all adults here, surely people could be constructive and offer rationale why the like or dislike a product and their experience with the product.

Maybe I'm just too Southern, when my mother raised me and told me if I couldn't say something nice then say nothing at all. However, if you had a bad experience with the product this is the place to offer that experience but just universal derogatory statements without reasons doesn't help anyone make a decision IMHO.
I couln't find a post before this one that criticized anyone for choosing the less expensive paper. However, this post had me concerned. It seems to be very critical. Sorry if you were offended. I'm sure the stamper hadn't meant to do that.
FS143 / QFTD93 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 05:51 AM   #50  
Glitter Guru

I use GP for layers and to color on. I use Prisma colored pencils and GooGone and it works great for me.

I also have PTI CS and Gina K (layer weight) which I adore but as much CS as I go through there is no way I could afford it for everything. With shipping PTI costs me $12.50 for 40 sheets and Gina K costs me $9.90 for 25 sheets.

I also do not like using PTI if I am cutting my image out as I find it difficult to cut since it is so thick.

If your ream is gray I definitely think that it was a bad batch or packaged wrong. I held my GP and PTI next to each other and there is a SLIGHT and I mean very slight difference in color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 06:02 AM   #51  
Glitter Guru

I have to agree about the 'bad batch' ~ I only use GP & I have gotten at least one bad ream before...

I just got my Memento ink pad & was so excited ~ until I saw how it stamped ~ I just could not get a good image ~ I was pretty frustrated cause no one else was complaining... & not only that but I had received some WishRAK images stamped using it on GP paper & it looked fine.... so I kinda gave up ~ I had used the GP to print some Digi images on & it was fine ~ so I didn't suspect that it was the paper.... until.... I opened another ream of the GP & decided to try the Memento ink again ~ this time the images were nice & crisp & clean... so I figure that I must have just had a ream that was not quite right....

I like to get the SU & PTI colors ~ but for my images (that I 99% of the time use my Copics with) & my card bases are always done with GP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #52  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well I had been meaning to try GP anyway (since I hate to spend a lot of money on white paper or cardstock of any kind) and came across this thread before I went shopping the other day. So I bought some and bought some Bee Paper Artist Marker Pad (that smooth type-110 lb-Manga artists use (looks like the Neenah my friend sent me). I did a compare and contrast. For what it is worth, here is what this amateur observed.

The GP doesnt have a very slight grayish tint when you compare them, but if you were looking at it alone I wouldn't call it gray. I colored some Anya stamps on both types of paper and when it is all said and done one really doesn't look any better than the other. In fact they both blend color well for shading and highlights. I would say with the smooth art paper you have more time to blend, as it doesnt absorb the ink as fast. I had no bleeding or feathering on either type. I think the difference is that one is marker paper and one is cardstock. Of course artist's marker paper will cost more.

And like someone else said I don't think the recipients really even notice any way. For the slight difference I am seeing I think I am going to go where i can save money...... so I can buy more stamps! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #53  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

OMG funny I see this thread!!! I just took the plunge and bought some after seeing the deets on sooo many blogs and people liking it - and so do I!! Mine wasn't grey at all and we even held it up to the light to see if you could see like splotchy areas, etc - none! It colored up very nice.

I'm a PTI girl all the way - i love it and there is noooo match, IMHO. But for card bases, quick images, or coloring with my prismas, so far I'm super happy with this and will be buying more. It's cost effective and does the job for when I need it to!

Thumbs up from me! :-D

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss BooView Post
I couln't find a post before this one that criticized anyone for choosing the less expensive paper. However, this post had me concerned. It seems to be very critical. Sorry if you were offended. I'm sure the stamper hadn't meant to do that.
Someone said that GP was "crap" that was it no explanation. I thought that was offensive to people who choose it or have no other choices for whatever reason. I find the word offensive and the connotation when there is no further explaination and I am pretty liberal in what I find offensive. It never hurts to offer constructive criticism.

"I have used it and prefer yada yada" is better than "It's crap" IMHO. which is just judgemental without substantiation.

We have so many words in the English language to express things we don't need to be crass or offensive unless that was the intent of the poster.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 10:50 AM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

I bought a ream of GP that had a crease running down about 2/3 of the sheets. I e-mailed GP and they sent me a coupon for a free ream. Their customer was great. I do use GP for coloring images, but usually not for card bases. I ended up using the sheets with the crease in my Cuttlebug because the crease wasn't noticeable then or for my daughter to color on.
Wish RAK Mentor
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

Well I went to Hobby Lobby went to the art department and I found sketch paper, watercolor papers and such. Alot of them had a texture to them but I did find a pack of Strathmore Bristol smooth Artist Papers. It isnt too thick or to thin, It is 100 lb. it is a nice bright white and it is very smooth. Best of all it was just 7.59 for 20 sheets. If it works out then I will buy more and I will remember to bring a coupon with me. hehe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

Ok I am back to report that Strathmore Bristol smooth is fantastic!!! Not only did it do well with my pencils and OMS but it did great with
my copics!
Attached Thumbnails
walmart georgia pacific cardstock-dsc_0270.jpg   walmart georgia pacific cardstock-dsc_0268.jpg   walmart georgia pacific cardstock-dsc_0269.jpg  

Last edited by scrappingmelissa; 06-24-2009 at 01:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #58  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Well I went to Hobby Lobby went to the art department and I found sketch paper, watercolor papers and such. Alot of them had a texture to them but I did find a pack of Strathmore Bristol smooth Artist Papers. It isnt too thick or to thin, It is 100 lb. it is a nice bright white and it is very smooth. Best of all it was just 7.59 for 20 sheets. If it works out then I will buy more and I will remember to bring a coupon with me. hehe.
I'm wondering if this is a typo. 7.59 for 20 sheets would be about twice the cost of whisper white. Whisper white is 7.50 for 40 sheets.
FS143 / QFTD93 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

The size is 9x12. I personally dont like SU whisper white, 7.59 but if you have a 40 off coupon its way less. Plus I like to shop locally.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

http://hobbylobby.com/weekly/coupons/2009_26c.gif

Link to a coupon.
Now you can pay 4.59 (or s0) AND no shipping charges
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #61  
Matboard Maniac

I love my GP from walmart. I use it with baby oil and prismas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #62  
Stazon Splitcoast

I purchase the GP 110 lb stuff at Sams 4 reams at a time. I make so many cards for the soldiers that I have to be reasonable on what I spend. I find it is good. For sure not as nice as PTI or Su, Or Gina K..but it costs less than theirs too. It is economical for me.
It really is not "crap"
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #63  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Someone said that GP was "crap" that was it no explanation. I thought that was offensive to people who choose it or have no other choices for whatever reason. I find the word offensive and the connotation when there is no further explaination and I am pretty liberal in what I find offensive. It never hurts to offer constructive criticism.

"I have used it and prefer yada yada" is better than "It's crap" IMHO. which is just judgemental without substantiation.

We have so many words in the English language to express things we don't need to be crass or offensive unless that was the intent of the poster.
oh so sad someone posted that. but I do love the GP cardstock and use it all the time.
for bases I dont but for coloring all the time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #64  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

That was me who said that. I edited my comments, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I'm very sorry.:oops:

Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #65  
Rubber Obsessor

Is the cardstock still in the same place in Wal-mart? Did someone say they moved it within the store?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper KissyView Post
That was me who said that. I edited my comments, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I'm very sorry.:oops:

Erin
Don't worry.

I guess sometimes I am sensitive to not having exactly what we want - honestly I made cards for a card swap on carry on bag full of supplies and a monthly budget of $5 of cardstock/supplies/international postage stamps from Dollar Tree/Walmart for over 14 months when we packed up for an international move.

So at the moment with the economy in the whole world not being great sometimes it just seems people are down on cheap supplies.

If you think it is crap that is fine just tell us why -like it always smears for you when you use your favourite ink etc. (I probably spend too much time in CE where we don't get away with no substantiating)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2009, 07:19 PM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafterinncView Post
Is the cardstock still in the same place in Wal-mart? Did someone say they moved it within the store?
Its still with the computer paper in my store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #68  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I get the GP white cardstock at SAMs Club it's smooth, bright and sized and works well with markers or light watercoloring, it's the only white I use, emamples on my blog if intersted and it's very thick. Maybe it is like produce, wal mart sells yucky fruit that will spoil in a day or two while Sam's sells wonderful stuff, I'd give it a try and fro 250 sheets for $7 you can always use it for layering. I've never had a problem;) No offence to wal mart;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts
Smile

I really like GP. I use it often - for card bases, coloring with Prismacolor Pencils and Gamsol, and using Copics. I've never had problems with it. I'll use SU WW if someone has requested it, but I think WW is flimsier, & the GP is sturdier.

Janet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #70  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

I see you had good results with this paper after you tried it. I have a very specific question that you might be able to answer after having worked with it a bit. Do you think this would go through a HP printer without jamming? The Georgia Pacific CS goes through like a dream, where the heavier papers like SU, Neehah, PTI won't. However, like others I've had issues with the brightness (lack of:() of the paper. I have been searching for a substitute for the GP that would be of similar weight. Could this Strahmore smooth be the answer?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #71  
Pearl-ExPert

My printer (a cheap HP one) can print on PTI and GinaK cardstock, and those papers are thick. I havent tried the strathmore in my printer yet, but I am not worried.

Michaels has it on sale, and I noticed Walmart also carries this kind of paper, made by Canon. Its only 4.00 there for 20 sheets. Might try that first. I believe it was by the printer area in my walmart, but check with your store to find out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #72  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

My printer (a cheap HP one) can print on PTI and GinaK cardstock, and those papers are thick. I havent tried the strathmore in my printer yet, but I am not worried.

Michaels has it on sale, and I noticed Walmart also carries this kind of paper, made by Canon. Its only 4.00 there for 20 sheets. Might try that first. I believe it was by the printer area in my walmart, but check with your store to find out.
You are SO lucky that your HP printer prints those heavy sheets. My old HP used to take any weight of paper but it finally quit working and I had to replace it. The new printer is totally whimpy, ahything a smidge heavier than the GP cs and it jams everytime. :( I'm hoping this printer bites the dust soon so I can find one that isn't so persnickity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #73  
Stampin' Fool

I use Hammermill Color Copy Cover. It was about 12$ for a ream of 250 sheets at the local paper store. (If It's Paper). That was the 60 lb 100 bright ultra smooth. I like the thinner one to color on since I layer everything. I wouldn't use that one for the card base. They had 80 lb and 100 lb as well. I love it for the copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2009, 12:16 PM   #74  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

stampinmelissa-

I just recently started using Copics. I found Marianne Walker's blog (she works for Copic) very helpful. Here is the URL for her blog in reference to papers, her preference and how to test papers to see if they are good to work with.

http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/search/label/paper

I hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2009, 02:34 PM   #75  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lainy67View Post
I use Hammermill Color Copy Cover. It was about 12$ for a ream of 250 sheets at the local paper store. (If It's Paper). That was the 60 lb 100 bright ultra smooth. I like the thinner one to color on since I layer everything. I wouldn't use that one for the card base. They had 80 lb and 100 lb as well. I love it for the copics.
I think I have used this paper too, I dont remember the brand but worked good too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #76  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Surely people can offer their opinion without being disparaging - not everyone has lavish budgets in this hobby and GP is their paper of choice.

As we are all adults here, surely people could be constructive and offer rationale why the like or dislike a product and their experience with the product.

Maybe I'm just too Southern, when my mother raised me and told me if I couldn't say something nice then say nothing at all. However, if you had a bad experience with the product this is the place to offer that experience but just universal derogatory statements without reasons doesn't help anyone make a decision IMHO.
I was SOOOOOO thinking the same thing... not only with the budget, but practicality, too. Scrapping, I can see using the whitest, smoothest paper you like, but stamping and card making? Not everyone appreciates our cards as much as we think they do/wish they would, and GP white does the trick just fine if the card receivers aren't even going to notice.
*disclaimer* I know, fellow stampers may notice, and some other people with great attention to detail, but not everyone WILL notice or care**
I use GP white, and I've heard it's better for copics than SU WW for that.

Last edited by MamaSchwich; 06-30-2009 at 02:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #77  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaSchwichView Post
I was SOOOOOO thinking the same thing... not only with the budget, but practicality, too. Scrapping, I can see using the whitest, smoothest paper you like, but stamping and card making? Not everyone appreciates our cards as much as we think they do/wish they would, and GP white does the trick just fine if the card receivers aren't even going to notice.
*disclaimer* I know, fellow stampers may notice, and some other people with great attention to detail, but not everyone WILL notice or care**
I use GP white, and I've heard it's better for copics than SU WW, by the way...
I certainly hope that everyone will appreciate the thought & time taken to create a card ~ and not care that the papers are not of a particular brand...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #78  
Stazon Splitcoast

okay, last night I did some cards using the GP as bases and I liked it.
no big difference, use what you can afford. I'm on a budget and if I can use this paper more than heck I'll use it more lol

and whenever I have extra money I'll for sure buy SU and PTI ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #79  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaSchwichView Post
I use GP white, and I've heard it's better for copics than SU WW for that.
I know my family and friends dont notice, none of them scrap!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #80  
Stampin' Fool

I use GP bright white all the time and I can't tell the difference between it and the other white cardstock I have. Nor do I really care that much I suppose. Basically it boils down to what my wallet can handle. I bought tons of white cardstock at Michaels when it went on sale as well. I also use HP white cardstock. I'm not really into name brands or anything. Like I said it boils down to what keeps my wallet from yelling "Yo, nutcase, you can't afford this stuff" at me.

It works great with my baby oil and Prismas. The only name brand papers I care about are patterned papers, i.e. Basic Grey.:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes