Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-21-2017, 05:25 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT HELP REQUIRED FOR EMBOSSING WEDDING INVITATIONS

My friend has asked me to emboss her wedding invitations. This is a budget wedding taking place April 15/17. She had her nephew print the invitation on the cardstock and then wants me to emboss the other end making it a 4.25 by 5.50 card.
Has anyone ever used an embossing folder to make 80 cards at one time? I only make a couple of cards at a time so it doesn't matter which way I run the folder through. I vaguely recall reading that you should put the folded side through first but I don't remember why. Since the folder needs to be on one end of the card when I put it through my machine running the folded end through first is not an option. I have a Grand Calibur. Can I make all 80 cards in one shot or should I just run the folder through making the cards in lots of maybe 10 at a time? My concern is damaging the folder before the project is finished!

All help/advice today would be kindly appreciated.

Joanne
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 05:46 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Joanne, I can tell you that I have run folders through both my Cuttlebug and Big Shot Pro sideways, with no problem. I've seen that advice too, but can't for the life of me see what the difference is, when the folder is covered by a plate. Maybe it's slightly thicker, and so stops people forcing through a wrong sandwich, just guessing here.
As for the second part of your question, I can't imagine using a folder 80 times will damage it, but doing it in blocks of 10 will not only help your folder to last, it will help your arm too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 07:22 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you so much for your quick reply. As I mentioned I need this folder to last until the end of the project, or longer and that is why I also thought doing batches of 10 or so might help with that. I am glad to hear that my reasoning isn't faulty.

Have a great day
Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 07:35 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Whether you make 10 at a time or 80, the wear and tear on the folder should be the same, unless they flatten a bit with heavy use, and when resting might pop back up? My guess is they're sturdy and will handle it (better than my arm), but folders are generally inexpensive and for insurance, maybe buy another one?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Buying another one isn't really an option since she wants them done this weekend. Besides I could only found 1 on Amazon, this is the older Cuttlebug A2 Embossing Folder, Stylized Flowers and the earliest shipping would be 5 - 9 business days.

I guess we'll have to be super carefull!!!

Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm going to take a guess here, and say I'd think the worst that should happen to the folder is splitting along the seam. Should that happen, just make it new 'hinges' with tape. It works perfectly, I did it on a folder a long time ago that was made to do portrait format, and I wanted to put it on landscape cards. Just split the seam, rejoined it at the edges with tape, and all was well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

What a great idea...I think I recall reading about doing that on a blog several years ago...thanks so much for the reminder.

Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I don't think you'll be able to emboss 10pcs at a time. I don't think the design will show very well on the middle layers and maybe split/crack some of the outside layers. If you have any scraps of the same card stock, I woud give it a try before doing the actual invitations.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I agree not to do 10 pieces at a time...you will damage the hinge. As for direction of embossing...it is hinged edge first into rollers. This is to put less stress on the hinge itself.

I make up to 80 Christmas cards and have never had an issue embossing so many on one time...they are pretty durable.

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 05:09 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by marymoilanenView Post
I don't think you'll be able to emboss 10pcs at a time. I don't think the design will show very well on the middle layers and maybe split/crack some of the outside layers. If you have any scraps of the same card stock, I woud give it a try before doing the actual invitations.

Good luck!
You have misunderstood my intention...I will emboss each invitation individually, but doing 10 in one sitting rather than all 80 at one session.

Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 05:19 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatrickView Post
I agree not to do 10 pieces at a time...you will damage the hinge. As for direction of embossing...it is hinged edge first into rollers. This is to put less stress on the hinge itself.

I make up to 80 Christmas cards and have never had an issue embossing so many on one time...they are pretty durable.

Cathy
Thank you for your advice Cathy, but the invitation will be in the folder and I can't run the hinge edge first without possibly damaging the edge of the printed part of the invitatiion.

Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you all for your advice. I will let you know how they turned out and if the folder survived.

Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2017, 09:34 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Joanne, one more comment to put your mind at ease. When I make cards for occasions, like Christmas, etc. I always make about 30 or 40 cards and use an embossing folder, making 40 cards, one at a time, in one cardmaking session.

I've done this for years, using my favorite embossing folders over and over again, and have never had any problems. The folders are still good as new, and emboss just fine.

And like others have said, your shoulder and arm might suffer more than the embossing folder from doing so many. Good luck with your invitations!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2017, 07:17 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Joanne, I don't know the size of your embossing folder but, I just looked at my Grand Calibur and a standard embossing folder fits both ways...same with the 5x7 ones. Unless you have a Grand Calibur with a very narrow opening...you should have no problem.

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2017, 08:53 AM   #15  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I embossed the flaps on 115 wedding invitations for my niece over Christmas vacation (plus die cut a spellbinders label for each too). I did the die cutting on the first day and the embossing on the second day (all in one session). I never gave it a thought that my folder might wear out (it didn't). Even more surprising was that my arm didn't feel like it was ready to fall off the next day.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery

Last edited by purpleflowers; 01-23-2017 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2017, 08:31 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Great advice here. Like Purpleflowers said, the embossing folder should be fine. For my daughter's wedding this past fall, I embossed just the flap on all the envelopes for her thank you cards (which I also made). I probably did at least 200. You should be fine. I think I ran them through two at a time and they both embossed fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2017, 10:23 AM   #17  
Inking Addict

I made 250 wedding invitations. Outside of invite Wedding Invitation by MelanieW - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers but with all pieces I had to make I did go through a set of plates for my cuttlebug. Inside of invite Wedding Invitation (with pop-up) by MelanieW - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers. They actually started to crack at the edge and started to separate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2017, 09:00 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Once again, I want to thank you all for your advice regarding my question. I promised to let you know how the invitations turned out, so here is the rest of the story!! On the weekend I was to make the invitations I started to feel unwell so I suggested that if she wanted them done that weekend I could show her how to do them and she could make them herself. She chose this option...the invitations turned out nicely and the embossing folder is just fine!!
Reply With Quote Likes