Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a sparkly but CLEAR embossing powder...

...without any colored glitter bits.

I want to stamp winter snow scenes on white paper/cardstock and then apply sparkles to the entire panel. Any glitter that is a color other than clear puts little spots on the pure white portion of the scene when you view it straight (not to one side).

I did have an embossing powder that had almost no color glitter, but I followed the (brilliant idea of) YouTube demonstrators and put into a plastic storage container to use with a plastic spoon. Now that I have to replace it I don't know what brand it was!

I shop at three places...Michael's, AC Moore and JoAnns. So it must have come from one of those three. I bought AC Moore's store brand yesterday and it put little pink spots of glitter on the card. I ran out to Michael's today and bought their Recollections powder that says "Sparkle" and "Glitz" (not sure which is the title) but it had very little sparkle and turned the white paper slightly yellow. I got out a Stampendous "Kaleidoscope" jar from my stash but it had the pink glitter from the front and created a rainbow effect from the side ("Kaleidoscope", what was I thinking it would do?).

I don't want to use Heat 'N Stick with Dazzling Diamonds because I am making a lot of cards and that is a two step process.

Do you have any product recommendations?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 07:21 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

As you have some Stampendous, try their CRYSTAL- I find its a good one for sparkle without colours. I agree about the Kaleidescope- I also found with that one, the longer you heated it, the more the glitter colours changed- by accident I might add! It actually worked brilliantly for the Christmas tree stamped cards I was making,lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I once mixed some dazzling diamonds glitter with clear embossing powder and it worked great. You actually don't need too much glitter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #4  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

If you want just sparkle and no color whatsoever, you could try mixing Ranger (Tim Holtz) distress 'clear rock candy' glitter with clear embossing powder.

Just be aware that this is not fine glitter. I love this glitter when I want 'colorless' sparkle. I have only used it with glue which is why I said above 'you could try' but I don't know why it would not work. The distress glitters will not melt with heat (they're not mylar).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry no suggestion on what embossing powder to use but an idea on your storage (for future reference). When I decided to transfer my embossing powders to containers with little spoons I found that the jars labels peeled off quite easily and I adhered to the top of the container, they were sticky enough to just stick there without having to add anything. I did this cause I learnt the hard way previously with not remembering which brand I had used. Hope this helps for future purchases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2014, 05:56 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is a link to a description of a Judikins ep that sounds like it would work:StampStampStamp: Iridescent Sparkle Embossing Powder 2 oz. Jar

I also checked out the Stampendous site but it was being super slow and difficult. I did copy this from their site:

Quote:

Sparkly Embossing Powders range from Crystal - clear with holographic sparkle to make your projects shine - to Kaleidoscope - amazing multi-colored effects which change as you heat the powder from blues, through greens, to gorgeous, coppery browns - to Tinsels - our premium powders and enamels with just the right amount of glitter to add high-volume bling to everything you make. Try them all! Powders vary in weight by color. Apply powders over slow-drying ink and heat set with embossing heat tool.
Sound like you might have been on the right track with which line of EP's but picked up the wrong one. Here is a link to their online shopping site: http://www.stampendous.com/products-...nsels-glitter/

Last edited by stampin stacy; 08-05-2014 at 06:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2014, 04:39 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Stampin' Up! Iridescent Ice was my first thought. Although I wonder if it would be similar to your Kaleidoscope. It is definitely clear though and I love the look of it. I know some of the people doing the napkin cards prefer it as a simpler, less glittery version of the Heat and Stick/Dazzling Diamonds combo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2014, 08:06 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I just use a clear embossing powder and there is this glitter called Sugar something. I have to find it and I will come back tomorrow and tell you what it is. It looks amazingly like snow. Someone mentioned above you don't need that much glitter to it. It's actually called Sugar cookie or something. I got it at Hobby Lobby I think its a stampendous glitter. It's going to make me mad as a hatter if I don't find it...lol I just can't think of what it's called.

*** I think it was called sugar coating I'm not sure but I think the maker is Doodlebug. They sell just the individual white shimmer at Hobby Lobby. I use my little glitter funnel and scoop and did 2 scoops of embossing powder and 1 scoop of that pretty glitter. I use it like plain embossing powder and it works beautifully.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Denverkat276; 08-08-2014 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: I REMEMBERED
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

If you"re looking for more shimmer than sparkly glitter, you might try something like Pearl Ex, Ranger's Perfect Pearls, or any other pearlized powders you may have, and mixing a little with clear embossing powder and see the effect you get. Just use a colorless one to get the glittery look, rather than one with overtones. The amount you put in will of course impact the shimmer and glitter. You might try that to see if it's the look you like. Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 942 Likes on 863 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwstamperView Post
I once mixed some dazzling diamonds glitter with clear embossing powder and it worked great. You actually don't need too much glitter.
Didn't know you could do that!! So cool...I'm going to have to give that a try for sure! Thanks for tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

So, I just ran a crossed this on pinterest. It's a tim holts "Snow" It's worth a look see for you.

I think I'm going to give this a try. I'm putting up a little tree in our upstairs landing and it's going to have Tim Holtz type tags on it. I think I'm going to try this one. Check it out.

12 tags of christmas - day 7... - Tim Holtz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

You can also consider buying the fine glitter from Michael' s Recollection brand named "Snow". I bought it yesterday and it has a beautiful colorless shimmer, perfect for Xmas and holiday season cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denverkat276View Post
So, I just ran a crossed this on pinterest. It's a tim holts "Snow" It's worth a look see for you.

I think I'm going to give this a try. I'm putting up a little tree in our upstairs landing and it's going to have Tim Holtz type tags on it. I think I'm going to try this one. Check it out.

12 tags of christmas - day 7... - Tim Holtz
Wow! that's gorgeous AND messy! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

lol I think messy can generate beautiful results!! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Default Agree; I think this is my solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NjoilifView Post
You can also consider buying the fine glitter from Michael' s Recollection brand named "Snow". I bought it yesterday and it has a beautiful colorless shimmer, perfect for Xmas and holiday season cards.
I came back to this thread (I'm the OP) to say that the Michael's Recollections Brand glitter "White" mixed with clear embossing powder gave the results I was looking for. It doesn't result in the "Wow" glittery effect of the original "lost-the-label" EP mentioned in the original post, but it is perfectly satisfying, very pretty, and without a single colored bit in the mix.

Michaels was selling "White" glitter in a tiny bottle along with other bottles of colored glitter--Gold, Emerald and Cherry. They were in a kit displayed with their new Christms stamps. I'll look for a larger bottle of "Snow" as you suggest. Maybe it's the same thing.

I have collected EIGHTEEN different scenic stamps over the years and want to make a card design using each of them!

Clear embossing powder mixed with Marth Stewart's fine white glitter gave a much subtler but all-white gleam. But the bottle is huge!

Thank you for all your suggestions.;)
Reply With Quote Likes