Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-04-2012, 04:47 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But just think of how much money you saved! :lol:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 05:11 AM   #42  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Silhouette Cameo $199 TODAY ONLY!!!

Silhouette CAMEO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #43  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Ummmmm thanks a lot to the sweet lady who said the downloads were 50% off......i just spent $100.00 but when you think i got 200 new cut files...i am going to be busy...lol
OMG that site is dangerous LOL
I put what I like into my wish list and then just choose the files that fit into what I am willing to spend at the time.
There are so many great files it would be so-o-o-o easy to overspend if I am not careful
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2012, 06:00 AM   #44  
~LN
Rubber Obsessor

I am loving this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #45  
Kookie Creator

I discovered Recollections Mounting Adhesive from Michaels works in Cameo! I tested it with a graphic that I covered in glitter, so cool! It's a little expensive but might be worth buying Silhouette's brand if it's on sale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

I have wanted one of these forever, and the new Portrait size has really caught my attention. I have a dedicated craft room, but not much space left for a bulky machine that I have to constantly hook up to the laptop. I am curious about a few things, and am hopeful you can help me.

I work exclusively on a Mac. Thoughts?

I am very skilled in graphics, Photoshop etc. Do they still require Adobe Illustrator, or do they have dedicated software for Mac users now?

What's the learning curve? Am I going to be up all night trying to cut a circle?

If money were no object, would you push for the bigger machine or would you be happy with the modest size Portrait? (I don't see myself cutting any 12"x12") So what's the relative merits of the Portrait, those of you who have one? And the negatives.

These are the reasons I've been dragging my feet. I know the machine is awesome, I know all the stuff it is supposed to be able to do- but what EXACTLY can I expect? I don't want to plop down another $200 for yet another dust collector that's too difficult to actually use.

Thanks VERY much!!
-c
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakhuxelView Post
I have wanted one of these forever, and the new Portrait size has really caught my attention. I have a dedicated craft room, but not much space left for a bulky machine that I have to constantly hook up to the laptop. I am curious about a few things, and am hopeful you can help me.

I am very skilled in graphics, Photoshop etc. Do they still require Adobe Illustrator, or do they have dedicated software for Mac users now?

What's the learning curve? Am I going to be up all night trying to cut a circle?

If money were no object, would you push for the bigger machine or would you be happy with the modest size Portrait? (I don't see myself cutting any 12"x12") So what's the relative merits of the Portrait, those of you who have one? And the negatives.

These are the reasons I've been dragging my feet. I know the machine is awesome, I know all the stuff it is supposed to be able to do- but what EXACTLY can I expect? I don't want to plop down another $200 for yet another dust collector that's too difficult to actually use.

Thanks VERY much!!
-c
There is a Mac version of the Silhouette Software, so no worries there. The software is really user friendly, and if you upgrade to the designer edition, there are a few nice added features - like being able to use svg files. As for the larger cutting area, if you don't envision yourself cutting anything larger than 8" wide, then the smaller machine will suit your needs. The only time it becomes a hassle is if your paper is all 12x12, then you'd have to cut it down to fit into the machine. I've had a CraftRobo (same as the Silhouette/Wishblade) for years and love it and now that I'm using SS. Its so much easier to design my stuff with it (although there are some glitches with the SS software that I didn't have when I used RoboMaster for designing and cutting). I do scrapbook, so I will be buying a wider machine in a few months, but I will be going with a KNK Zing machine just because it has more power than the Cameo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #48  
Polyshrink Goddess

I can't tell you anything about using it with a Mac (since I don't have one), but you can download the free software (not the designer edition, but the basic edition) and see if you can get comfortable with it before buying anything. I do know that there are plenty of people who use the software on a Mac - and it didn't sound like they were using work arounds, but what do I know? ;)
I can tell you that we bought my Cameo as a replacement for a "better" machine. The "better" machine was horrible to deal with and the software was, well, lets just say that it actually made me cry (and I am NOT prone to dramatics!) more than once. Silhouette software is actually EASY comparatively, and I was up & running as soon as the software was installed. The interface is very well designed and (mostly) does exactly what it says it does. Of course there are glitches, and updates can have issues, but I have yet to hear a bad thing about their CS either machine or software related. It's been just over a year now and I still ask my husband if I've mentioned how much I love it EVERY time I use it!
I don't have a dedicated space for it and it is kind of a pain to clear out space and set it up when I want to use it. However, it is worth every single moment of trouble! If money were no object I would absolutely go for the Cameo, mostly because you never know what you'll be wanting to do in the future. I would *never* have thought that I would be interested in vinyl - yet I spend a ton of time walking through stores exclaiming "I could vinyl that!" until my husband wants to gag me.
I say go for it! You'll love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #49  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you all very much for your replies to my questions about using a Mac with the Silhouette. And also I am glad to hear nobody is crying in frustration at 2am trying to make the machine work. I believe you have convinced me, and first thing January 2 I will order my own and cross my fingers! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #50  
Hardware Hotshot

I am using my new Cameo on a Mac with no problems
This is my first electronic cutter and I am not a computer techie
Barbara Jay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #51  
Inking Addict

Location: still hiding behind my Foster Grants...can I come out yet?!?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Ummmmm thanks a lot to the sweet lady who said the downloads were 50% off......i just spent $100.00 but when you think i got 200 new cut files...i am going to be busy...lol
yeah, that was me, sorry. Keep in mind I bought a bunch and my Portrait hasn't even arrived yet!
On the plus side, your creations are awesome and inspirational! Keep 'em coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #52  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

The Cameo is only 21" wide x 7" deep.

I use my Cameo on a Mac with no problems

All the software you need is included or you can purchase the more elaborate version of Designer Edition

I was able to cut my first pieces without any problems and I am no computer techie. I have no idea how to use Photoshop or any other program like that

I decided on a Cameo because the Black Friday price was almost the cost of the Portrait and the Cameo has an SD slot. I plan to use the SD as a backup to save my cut files.

I only make cards for my family and friends. I have seen a lot of metal dies I liked, but they would only be useful for one or two people's cards. The cut files are only 99 cents and that is cheap even if I only use the cut file once or twice. I love the idea I can resize the cuts to fit my needs . I will still use my metal dies, but this is a wonderful addition to my tools.

Thanks VERY much!!
-c
Hope this helps

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 12-11-2012 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #53  
Hardware Hotshot

My edit timed out on the above post.
The size of the Cameo is about 21" wide by 6.5" deep

The Portrait is 16.25" wide by 5.6" deep.

Not a lot of difference in size and it doesn't take up much space . I have it on a microwave stand on wheels so I can pull it away from the wall when I use it to allow space behind the machine for the paper if I am doing a large sheet of multiple cuts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you want to do cutting in high volumn, get more than one mat. I use up to 4 mats at a time. Love this machine (Cameo)
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #55  
Cardstock Collector

I just purchased the Cameo at Overstock.com. I had a 10% off coupon and it was free shipping. Plus it came with an extra $25 gift card to the silhoutte store...in addition to the $10 one included. Total was $206. Overstock emails coupons all the time if you are on their mailing list.

Posted from SplitCoastStampers.com App for Android
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #56  
Polyshrink Goddess

Great deal, fiddlestix! Can't wait to hear what you think of the machine and see your creations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #57  
Matboard Maniac

Here's a little money-saving tip. I have the Cameo and use the Cricut 12x12 mat. They're cheaper than the Silhouette mats, easily available at Michael's and Hobby Lobby, and you can use a coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2012, 04:48 AM   #58  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a question - my left side cuts very well but anything after the 6 - 7 " mak semi-cuts . . . any ideas?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #59  
Kookie Creator

Here's the quilt I designed using the Silhouette software and I cut out the top panels with the Silhouette. It's the Croatian Coat of Arms, and the recipients of the gift really, really liked it.

Croatian Coat of Arms Quilt by xayide2 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #60  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftykarlaView Post
I have a question - my left side cuts very well but anything after the 6 - 7 " mak semi-cuts . . . any ideas?
Have you checked your blade to see if it there is any debris built up in the housing? Also, check your mat to make sure it is sticky. If your paper is lifting while cutting, it could be the problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #61  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks Cat_Woman - I sent an e-mail to silhouette and they said the same thing - did check the housing and there was build up and washed my mat and that truly has helped. Just ordered another blade for a spare already have a spare mat which I got with my bundle. Now I'm learning about nodes and simplify to help with the cutting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #62  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Silhouette

I just saw the post on the Silhouette and had to write. When I got my Cameo a year ago, we did a lot of research on what to buy and considered the Cricut. A friend had the older Silhouette and when I saw how you could buy exactly the image that you wanted, I was sold. I love my Cameo, love looking at the online store (and especially on Tuesdays when the new images and new free shape are released!!), love the items that go on sale and have just generally enjoyed the machine. I know that there is still a lot that I have to learn--and I'll enjoy doing so. I just purchased some of the markers during the sale after Thanksgiving, so that is something else to learn!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #63  
Matboard Maniac

Did any of you Silhouette users know there's a whole section of free svg. files on Pinterest?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #64  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Did any of you Silhouette users know there's a whole section of free svg. files on Pinterest?
I didn't, but I only started browsing pinterest a couple of weeks ago, and it takes up loads of my time now, . Now I shall be checking these out as well, I'm never going to get any time to actually do anything ;). Seriously though, Thanks for the heads up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yeehah...Free is good! I am going to have to check these out too!
Happy cutting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #66  
Polyshrink Goddess

Free is very good - on a yahoo group "Silhouette Users" someone posted that in the search when you type it "Original 40" there are free images. I found 25 that I liked...gotta take a look at the pinterest svg's. Haven't done any svg's with my cameo yet, just learning the machine. Pinterest is addicting, I go on next thing I know I've lost an hour or two.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #67  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by LemurView Post
try using lilblueboo in the promo code box. It might still work. Educators get a great discount on their products also. I just bought the Portrait for $160.00.

Does anyone know if they put the images on sale frequently? I know they're only a dollar, but they're .50 just now and that's better
What website gives educators a discount? I'm totally in the hunt for a Portrait (now that Black Friday deals are over and everything is full price....figures) and I'm hoping to find it for less than list....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #68  
Compulsive Stamper

I so love my Silhouette Cameo, which I bought August of last year. I love my Cricut machines but sadly none of them would give a clean cut on an intricate images like doilies. I love doilies and if you're like me, Silhouette online store got tons of doilies, flourishes, labels, 3D projects from $.50 to $.99. If you have it no need to buy those expensive dies. Check this project I made, where I used an intricate image doily called lacy star .

Learning curve is not that hard. You just have to know what those icons in your digital mats and presto you'll but cutting like crazy (I do!LOL). If you used Gypsy so much then Silhouette will not be hard... only difference is, it has more capabilities than what Cricut can offer...

Hope you'll get yourself Silhouette Cameo or Portrait. It will be worth every penny you spent. BTW, watch out for Hallmark Scrapbook or Fortabella, because they were the ones who offered the best price plus free shipping...

BTW, I attached here a list of Silhouette command I found online. Happy crafting everyone!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf silhouette command.pdf (42.1 KB, 38 views)

Claire
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #69  
Swap Moderator
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Swapper of the Month - November 2013

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Just received a Cameo and haven't had a chance yet to play with it. So glad to find this thread as I am sure there will be lots of good info here.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #70  
Mad Swapper

Okay, so I've had my Cameo now for about 2 weeks. I've been trouble shooting, watching videos, asking questions, etc. and have learned quite a bit already. I found a good video on You Tube (although the sound is muffled a little) either way, it helped me to learn how to clean my blade.

Next, I decided to experiment with different papers. Unfortunately, I ended up cutting my mat up pretty bad. So I then turned to my boyfriend for help.
He brought me the inexpensive Dollar Tree cutting mats to try. The kind that you use for chopping food? I then proceeded to use some Sullivans Machine embroidery adhesive spray (1 coat) and Voila! It works like a charm! It doesn't over stick, the plastic mat is much more forgiving and it cuts beautifully.

Now I've been researching blade depths, better papers, etc. So, I've subscribed to this thread. Thank you for all the advice here I've read so far. I also read a good blog post the other day in regards to free cut files from Silhouette. If you type in 'ORIGINAL 50' in the search box on the Silhouette store website, it will give you access to a large amount of free shapes LOL HTH!!

Last edited by scrubbybubbles; 01-06-2013 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: proofing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #71  
Polyshrink Goddess

Dollar Tree mats, wonderful! I've had my cameo since the first week of December and really now just finding time to play. My mat that came with the machine is really cut up learning how to use the machine. Thanks for the mat tip and Clare, thanks for the cheat sheet! That will come in handy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #72  
Matboard Maniac

Here is a web site I just found.

Free Flower and Leaves Cut Files |

she's got a lot of great designs that can be converted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #73  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned a Cricut for a few years and at least half a dozen cartridges because all my friends LOVE theirs. I have never bonded with that machine. My adult daughter has borrowed it and used it more often than I have. So now in November, while hubby was watching TV, I checked out this thread and now I own a Silhouette! Daughter is ecstatic and I have yet to take it out of the box. I am so ashamed.:oops:
Now I'm confessing so I can receive notifications and get that machine out of the box and start using it. I think I'll love it. Mostly because unlike the Cricut I won't need to haul the big thing out and sort through a stack of cartridges.
Keep posting ladies, I need all the encouragement I can get!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #74  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by edie453View Post
I have owned a Cricut for a few years and at least half a dozen cartridges because all my friends LOVE theirs. I have never bonded with that machine. My adult daughter has borrowed it and used it more often than I have. So now in November, while hubby was watching TV, I checked out this thread and now I own a Silhouette! Daughter is ecstatic and I have yet to take it out of the box. I am so ashamed.:oops:
Now I'm confessing so I can receive notifications and get that machine out of the box and start using it. I think I'll love it. Mostly because unlike the Cricut I won't need to haul the big thing out and sort through a stack of cartridges.
Keep posting ladies, I need all the encouragement I can get!
TAKE IT OUT OF THE BOX, LET IT BREATHE, LOL

I got mine for Christmas, and we had a very busy few weeks, and mine sat in the box until yesterday, I got it out, now I am addicted, super easy and user friendly right out of the box.

My Creative Side

Some days just look better upside down" Eeyore
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #75  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapnstamp on the farmView Post
TAKE IT OUT OF THE BOX, LET IT BREATHE, LOL.
That made me spit my coffee out! Okay, my daughter's coming over tonight so we're breaking it out of the box! Thanks for the "gentle" nudge to get moving and using
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #76  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by edie453View Post
That made me spit my coffee out! Okay, my daughter's coming over tonight so we're breaking it out of the box! Thanks for the "gentle" nudge to get moving and using
Here is a great video on setting it up .
Gina K takes you from how to open the box ; what is in the box to actually using it

SIlhouette Cameo - Getting Started - YouTube

After you start using it Gina K has cut files for her stamps too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #77  
Polyshrink Goddess

You can do this! You can use some of your cricut supplies (mats, picks, spatula, etc). Once you start cutting and downloading from the store - getting freebies etc., you'll be hooked like the rest of us. Ditto on BarbaraJay's comment about Gina K's video it really did help and don't forget to "desticky" the mat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #78  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftykarlaView Post
You can do this! You can use some of your cricut supplies (mats, picks, spatula, etc). Once you start cutting and downloading from the store - getting freebies etc., you'll be hooked like the rest of us. Ditto on BarbaraJay's comment about Gina K's video it really did help and don't forget to "desticky" the mat.
I heard you could use the Cricut mats in the Silhouette, have you done this? I sure hope you can, because Silhouette supplies are not readily accessible up here in Canada, but Michaels does carry Cricut stuff

My Creative Side

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #79  
Glitter Guru

I learned something of the Silhouette blog with the free item of the week, How to ungroup items, That would have been very helpful the other day, lol. Cut so many times in the same stop I cut right through my mat

My Creative Side

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #80  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapnstamp on the farmView Post
I heard you could use the Cricut mats in the Silhouette, have you done this? I sure hope you can, because Silhouette supplies are not readily accessible up here in Canada, but Michaels does carry Cricut stuff
I use the cricut mats when my good mat needs cleaning (my original CraftRobo mat). They work and Walmart carries them here as well as Michaels. I think I bought 2 12x12 mats for about $12 about 3 years ago then cut them down to fit my machine... They're probably more now.
Reply With Quote Likes