Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-18-2019, 03:54 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Supplies that don't last

I started this thread because of the previous post of products that last and products that haven't. I mentioned on that thread that I had to throw out my Colorbox pigment cat's eyes ink pads a few months ago because they were disintegrating much like my sponge daubers. Those pads were at least 20 years old. I had 35 pads and reinkers to match.

I use the reinkers but when opening the plastic topper of my reinker, it cracked at the bottom. Is there any kind of containers that might allow me to save the ink from that bottle and others that might break? I am experimenting with various containers. The one I liked the most is the tiny little plastic bottles with snap tops found with children's paint sets. You can buy them empty at Michael's. But I placed a bit on ink in one of those containers on June 24 of this year and it is now hard.

I also purchased a few tiny glass bottles with cork stoppers. I'll let everyone know how I make out with them. I will place a few drops of reinker in there to see. I also bought a few "make up sample plastic jars" with the screw top lids and I will put some ink in those too. I should know within a month whether they will keep the inks from drying out should the caps crack.

Thank you everyone for your help with this one!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2019, 02:34 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 249 Likes on 133 Posts

We've moved your thread to the Tools & Products forum for a better chance of responses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2019, 03:59 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 298 Likes on 115 Posts

I wanted to keep only a small amount of my Stampin'Up! ink refills and give the rest of the bottles to my daughter, so I bought these from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Wowlife-Pla...al&sr=1-1&th=1

I got the 5 mil, but they come in other sizes, as well, so I'm sure that one of them would work for you...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2019, 02:17 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
We've moved your thread to the Tools & Products forum for a better chance of responses.

Thank you very much. I'm sorry that I posted to the wrong area. I also didn't want to add "my problem" to scraping jenny's post because it would have been a new topic - at least I thought so. I'm always a bit nervous when I post a new thread because I'm concerned that I'm not placing it in the proper forum. Thanks again very much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2019, 02:22 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I wanted to keep only a small amount of my Stampin'Up! ink refills and give the rest of the bottles to my daughter, so I bought these from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Wowlife-Pla...al&sr=1-1&th=1

I got the 5 mil, but they come in other sizes, as well, so I'm sure that one of them would work for you...

Thanks again so much for your help. Are they "air tight" and won't cause the inks to get hard? This will be wonderful to have as my bottle caps break down one by one on my old reinkers. I did place a few drops of reinker in the 2 different containers that I purchased to "try out" (glass with a cork and plastic cosmetic jars with screw-top lids) but I won't know for a while if they will work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2019, 02:28 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 606 Likes on 248 Posts

I threw out many pigment and metallic ink pads because the foam just flaked away, as OP said. I was surprised to see that a long-lost roll of 1/2" super-sticky double stick tape had yellowed over time and is quite a bit less sticky. A few really old punches fell apart in my hand when I was checking to see if they were worth giving to a teacher. The metal punch parts still worked but the plastic housing and handles crumbled to bits.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2019, 03:53 AM   #7  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebird52paView Post
Thank you very much. I'm sorry that I posted to the wrong area. I also didn't want to add "my problem" to scraping jenny's post because it would have been a new topic - at least I thought so. I'm always a bit nervous when I post a new thread because I'm concerned that I'm not placing it in the proper forum. Thanks again very much!
Don't be nervous - that's what we're all here for Thanks for starting a conversation!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2019, 08:13 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 298 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Thanks again so much for your help. Are they "air tight" and won't cause the inks to get hard? This will be wonderful to have as my bottle caps break down one by one on my old reinkers. I did place a few drops of reinker in the 2 different containers that I purchased to "try out" (glass with a cork and plastic cosmetic jars with screw-top lids) but I won't know for a while if they will work.

Yes, they are airtight - they were intended to use for samples of essential oils and the like. Between the dropper insert and the screw-on cap, they will keep the ink from drying out.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
Don't be nervous - that's what we're all here for Thanks for starting a conversation!

Thank you for your help and keeping everything running smoothly here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2019, 03:34 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Yes, they are airtight - they were intended to use for samples of essential oils and the like. Between the dropper insert and the screw-on cap, they will keep the ink from drying out.

Thank you again. I will order some at the end of the month. I placed them in my card already!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2019, 09:39 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

I started this thread because of the previous post of products that last and products that haven't. I mentioned on that thread that I had to throw out my Colorbox pigment cat's eyes ink pads a few months ago because they were disintegrating much like my sponge daubers. Those pads were at least 20 years old. I had 35 pads and reinkers to match.

I use the reinkers but when opening the plastic topper of my reinker, it cracked at the bottom. Is there any kind of containers that might allow me to save the ink from that bottle and others that might break? I am experimenting with various containers. The one I liked the most is the tiny little plastic bottles with snap tops found with children's paint sets. You can buy them empty at Michael's. But I placed a bit on ink in one of those containers on June 24 of this year and it is now hard.

I also purchased a few tiny glass bottles with cork stoppers. I'll let everyone know how I make out with them. I will place a few drops of reinker in there to see. I also bought a few "make up sample plastic jars" with the screw top lids and I will put some ink in those too. I should know within a month whether they will keep the inks from drying out should the caps crack.

Thank you everyone for your help with this one!

Wow, I've never had a re-inker bottle crack, although I've had Elmer's glue bottles explode when I squeezed it. I have quite a few pigment ink re-inkers that I've never used so hope the bottles hold up.
I would think that a bottle with a screw top would work the best at not letting the ink inside dry out. The worst type of bottle seems to be the ones with the eye drop type with rubber handles that you squeeze. I have about 10 Spectrum Noir alcohol ink refills that dried out completely. Even the ones that were still sealed dried out, argh! Fortunately, I was able to add plain alcohol, and they rehydrated. Just a warning though in case you keep alcohol ink refills around as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2019, 09:41 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
I threw out many pigment and metallic ink pads because the foam just flaked away, as OP said. I was surprised to see that a long-lost roll of 1/2" super-sticky double stick tape had yellowed over time and is quite a bit less sticky. A few really old punches fell apart in my hand when I was checking to see if they were worth giving to a teacher. The metal punch parts still worked but the plastic housing and handles crumbled to bits.
Mary Beth

I used to buy everything in bulk, and a lot of things on sale "just in case". Unfortunately, I found that some of those things deteriorated over time, even if I never used them. Now I try to only buy what I can use in a year or so. I can't tell you how many bottles of paint, and jars of texture pastes I had to toss out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2019, 09:42 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Thanks for the link! I've already put them on my list at Amazon. I had no idea something like these were available as I've only gotten small glass vials in the past.
Reply With Quote Likes