Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default SU Big BooBoo!

Well I was thinking of offering a prize to the person who solved my problem, but discovered that the problem was not with me but with the product.

I received my first photopolymer stamp from SU last week ( wonderous wreath) and decided to ink it up. I have to say that from my cheapest dollar acrylic stamps to my most expensive, i have never encountered this problem.

When you ink up the first wreath the ink beads up on the stamp and you cant get good coverage of the ink.So I washed the stamps twice, used the eraser trick, used a softer pad to stamp on, tried 5 different types of ink and papers all to no avail....still beading ink on the stamp.

So I reviewed pictures of cards on pinterest on my ipad, where I could blow up the picture to get a good look. I kept track of 35 pictures and what did I find. 13 pictures had good ink and 12 did not , in fact a couple were worse than mine. The curious thing is that I noticed of these 35 was that it was the green ink in particular that the coverage was bad.

I went on to look at many more and always the same thing with the inked image. I have not seen anyone posting this in spite of the fact that many are experiencing the same thing. I thought I checked and did everything conceivable before posting this, so if any SU Demos have any advice I would love to hear it.....sorry cant offer a prize;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,918 Likes on 2,186 Posts

Try inking with versamark first. That may help, but I don't have that set yet so I can't try it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Default SU Big Boo Boo

HI, Thank you, already tried that previously . Then I tried Versamark first before inking and then on printer paper of all things, and that seemed the better... but far from perfect.Cant say I am not persistant.

Point being, I have watched demos using this stamp and they did not use versamark prior to inking. I have seen many cards with the same problem and have to wonder why SU quality control did not catch this.
I paid almost $45 Cdn for this set, so its not like a $4.00 stamp plus shipping and handling. So I think for that price I should be able to get a stamp that stamps correctly without any problem.

Oh yes, I have tapped lightly and even turned stamp right side up and put paper on top and lightly tapped, which again gave a better impression. Dont think I should have to jump through hoops to get a proper image.

If there are any demos who might have encountered this problem I would really appreciate their input.Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
HI, Thank you, already tried that previously . Then I tried Versamark first before inking and then on printer paper of all things, and that seemed the better... but far from perfect.Cant say I am not persistant.

Point being, I have watched demos using this stamp and they did not use versamark prior to inking. I have seen many cards with the same problem and have to wonder why SU quality control did not catch this.
I paid almost $45 Cdn for this set, so its not like a $4.00 stamp plus shipping and handling. So I think for that price I should be able to get a stamp that stamps correctly without any problem.

Oh yes, I have tapped lightly and even turned stamp right side up and put paper on top and lightly tapped, which again gave a better impression. Dont think I should have to jump through hoops to get a proper image.

If there are any demos who might have encountered this problem I would really appreciate their input.Thanks for your input.
I agree, it should just work without going through hoops! The only photo polymer stamp set I have from su so far is the holiday home and the houses are just outlines so it doesn't need the coverage like the wreathe would. I hope they work it out because id like that set too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oops! I purchased a photo polymer set from Stampin Up that I haven't inked up yet. Now I'm worried! Got the matching dies for it. I hope I don't have issues! I did watch a video saying to have paper on a cushy thingy (can't remember the name) for stamping for better results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Default SU Bi Boo Boo

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzbysmomView Post
Oops! I purchased a photo polymer set from Stampin Up that I haven't inked up yet. Now I'm worried! Got the matching dies for it. I hope I don't have issues! I did watch a video saying to have paper on a cushy thingy (can't remember the name) for stamping for better results.
Yep, tried that too. I did everything I ever read on here about how to get good stamping images. Hopefully you got one of the "good" photopolymer stamps.

Please let us know, I also wish others who have had this problem would chime in, because I know you are out there.... I have seen your cards.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzbysmomView Post
Which set did you get?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Hmm... sounds like maybe a production problem??

I didn't use VersaMark, SU ink and no special treatment of the stamp. I guess I got lucky with my set. :p

Sorry the colors are bad - I can't get to my light tent right now
Attached Thumbnails
SU Big BooBoo!-dscn2267.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Did you call SU!? I would...maybe they will replace the set. Worth a shot. Or contact the demo you purchased from.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just used an SU photopolymer set last night. Perfect coverage right out of the box. I say return.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2014, 04:25 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Default SU big Boo Boo

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post

I didn't use VersaMark, SU ink and no special treatment of the stamp. I guess I got lucky with my set. :p

Okay, please don't hate me but I can see the same imperfections in your light green leaves ( the first layer you stamp) You can see the white paper as if the ink were opaque.

If you check out other images of this on the I net or Pinterest you will see cards with much better coverage of the first layer, where it is "solid " with none
of the white showing through the ink.I want to know how to get that solid look . Your card is lovely. However I want to achieve that solid look that I have seen on three videos by SU demos. That is why I purchased this bundle.

Thank you so much for posting as it illustrates my point, and unfortunately I have not learned how to post pictures . There is nothing like a visual to illustrate something.

Incidentally, I was playing around this afternoon and found when I added red stickels to the red berries it took away from the poor image, and the same using glossy accents. Talk about putting lipstick on a pig. Lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Default SU big Boo Boo

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgrammaView Post
Did you call SU!? I would...maybe they will replace the set. Worth a shot. Or contact the demo you purchased from.
This just happened yesterday morning. I have not contacted my demo, as she is dealing with serious health issue, and I don't want to intrude at this time. I simply phoned her originally to place the order after seeing video on The net and it was shipped directly to my house.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2014, 04:36 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Default SU Big BooBoo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Just used an SU photopolymer set last night. Perfect coverage right out of the box. I say return.
What stamp set did you use, I am talking about the Wondrous Wreath photopolymer stamp set?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Default i'm having the same issue

but with another set that I just ordered--Festival of Trees. I have tried over and over to get a good image with the tree that has holes to fill in ornaments with another stamp/color but can't get a good one. I too have tried every trick that I have read about (something cushy underneath, clean set with a white eraser...but nothing works. Anyone else having this issue with other polymer sets recently introduced by SU. If there is a trick that I am missing I'd love to hear about it since I would love to purchase more SU polymer sets (I have two from the holiday mini). Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2014, 06:05 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I know the picture is pretty dark, but the lighter green does look splotchy. The dark green looks fine, but the lighter green looks like the ink did bead when I magnify the photo. Maybe it's the paper you stamped it on. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks???

Last edited by Annecards; 09-22-2014 at 06:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Default sU Big Boo Boo

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
I know the picture is pretty dark, but the lighter green does look splotchy. The dark green looks fine, but the lighter green looks like the ink did bead. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks???
No it's not your eyes. That is exactly what I am talking about!

Anyone that searches out these images will spot the differences in the way these images appear splotchy on some cards not on others. I must have checked out 200 at least by now and did notice that those stampers using brown and orange inks for Fall wreath which are darker colours to begin with appear to have better results overall.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2014, 02:09 AM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Okay, please don't hate me but I can see the same imperfections in your light green leaves ( the first layer you stamp) You can see the white paper as if the ink were opaque.

If you check out other images of this on the I net or Pinterest you will see cards with much better coverage of the first layer, where it is "solid " with none
of the white showing through the ink.I want to know how to get that solid look . Your card is lovely. However I want to achieve that solid look that I have seen on three videos by SU demos. That is why I purchased this bundle.

Thank you so much for posting as it illustrates my point, and unfortunately I have not learned how to post pictures . There is nothing like a visual to illustrate something.

Incidentally, I was playing around this afternoon and found when I added red stickels to the red berries it took away from the poor image, and the same using glossy accents. Talk about putting lipstick on a pig. Lol
Oh I see what you want. I actually tapped the ink softer on the lighter green because I wanted variation of color. Blow up the image again and look at the dark green leaves. They are perfectly solid because I inked the stamp a couple of times and the dark green is one of new foam pads and the light ink is an older pad that's not very juicy.

Normally I only use either the new SU foam pads or chalk ink with clear/poly stamps. I'm surprised you say you've never had this problem because I don't have one clear/poly stamp from any company that doesn't bead up unless I use the right ink. I have hundreds of clear stamps and they all act the same way.

I'll do a test on the set using all foam pads to see if the problem goes away.

Test attached using the new foam ink pads. I don't see any splotches - do you?
Attached Thumbnails
SU Big BooBoo!-dscn2268.jpg  

Last edited by stamphappy1650; 09-23-2014 at 02:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2014, 02:28 AM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

I'm back - I should also say that I when I stamp clear stamps I coat a lot of ink (again only SU new foam pads or chalk ink) and I press the stamp down for several seconds to let the ink soak into the paper. I can actually see where the ink hasn't soaked in and press the areas down harder until the image is solid. Some papers are more absorbent than others so length of time I press down varies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2014, 04:58 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I have just started stamping and have this problem with all my clear stamps! I have cleaned them, using eraser on them etc, still same problem of ink beading up. I much prefer the rubber.... :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2014, 05:01 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Oh I see what you want. I actually tapped the ink softer on the lighter green because I wanted variation of color. Blow up the image again and look at the dark green leaves. They are perfectly solid because I inked the stamp a couple of times and the dark green is one of new foam pads and the light ink is an older pad that's not very juicy.

Normally I only use either the new SU foam pads or chalk ink with clear/poly stamps. I'm surprised you say you've never had this problem because I don't have one clear/poly stamp from any company that doesn't bead up unless I use the right ink. I have hundreds of clear stamps and they all act the same way.

I'll do a test on the set using all foam pads to see if the problem goes away.

Test attached using the new foam ink pads. I don't see any splotches - do you?
Looks great, I don't see any splotches or imperfections in this picture.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2014, 05:12 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

I forgot to add, I did blow it up really big😊
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2014, 05:43 AM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftEcowgirlView Post
I have just started stamping and have this problem with all my clear stamps! I have cleaned them, using eraser on them etc, still same problem of ink beading up. I much prefer the rubber.... :(
Consider changing to a different ink when you can. As a last resort, I touch up the image with a blender pen but it's still not as good as a good clean stamped image.

I've done the same kinds of things and even though the polymer stamps are better, it's still an issue. I also prefer good ol' rubber. IMHO I don't think the clear stamps are going to last as long as rubber.

When I can, I'll buy wood mount and then unmounts them instead of buying clear. It may cost me more but I'd rather invest in the durability.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2014, 07:01 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I had this problem with the flower set that is in the big catalog. I used a pencil eraser over every stamp and then cleaned them, and they have stamped perfectly ever since.

A lot of solid image stamps have this problem, polymer or not.

I wonder if maybe SU should include a note with these kinds of stamp sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2014, 07:30 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Default SU Big Boo Boo

Quote:

Consider changing to a different ink when you can. As a last resort, I touch up the image with a blender pen but it's still not as good as a good clean stamped image.

I've done the same kinds of things and even though the polymer stamps are better, it's still an issue. I also prefer good ol' rubber. IMHO I don't think the clear stamps are going to last as long as rubber.

When I can, I'll buy wood mount and then unmounts them instead of buying clear. It may cost me more but I'd rather invest in the durability.
Your last picture is a much better image its clear to see.you say you also have to touch up with a colour blender (I did that too). Seriously, Don't you agree you should not have to do this ? A good stamp should do what it's supposed to first time around.

Okay, I used SU whisper white, I used Staples 110 (which always works with other company photopolymer) and used the printer paper just for fun in my exasperation.

I did use the new juicy pads from SU including the following companies, Tim Holtz, Momento, Versa Fine, Versa Colour, Colour Box and Tusenieko .

I have done all that you have suggested every last I one which is why I finally posted.

I own photopolymer stamps from 6 other companies which work perfectly. Maybe SU just starting to sell them should have done more testing.

I also mentioned that my second layer is fine too, just as it is in all the ones I have looked at. The problem seems to be with that first stamp. That is what is so exasperating.

I see a number of others are having this problem even with other of their photopolymer stamps so it may be its just not one stamp but the way they are manufactured or processed.

Anyway I know leaves are not all solid colour in real life ( I am a gardener) but if I want my leaves to look true to life I usually colour them to look just like that, which is not what I am looking for here.

Thanks so much for all your helpful tips and taking the time to post. I had another idea I am going to try later and will advise. Don't you know we are our own worst critics when it comes to something we make, the recipient probably would not even notice the uneven leaf colour , and even think it was done to look more realistic.lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2014, 07:32 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Default SU Big Boo Boo

Quote:

Your last picture is a much better image its clear to see.you say you also have to touch up with a colour blender (I did that too). Seriously, Don't you agree you should not have to do this ? A good stamp should do what it's supposed to first time around.

Okay, I used SU whisper white, I used Staples 110 (which always works with other company photopolymer) and used the printer paper just for fun in my exasperation.

I did use the new juicy pads from SU including the following companies, Tim Holtz, Momento, Versa Fine, Versa Colour, Colour Box and Tusenieko .

I have done all that you have suggested every last I one which is why I finally posted. I think I may have mentioned this in my first post.

I own photopolymer stamps from 6 other companies which work perfectly. Maybe SU just starting to sell this should have done more testing.

I also mentioned that my second layer is fine too, just as it is in all the ones I have looked at. The problem seems to be with that first stamp. That is what is so exasperating.

I see a number of others are having this problem even with other of their photopolymer stamps so it may be its just not one stamp but the way they are manufactured or processed.

Anyway I know leaves are not all solid colour in real life ( I am a gardener) but if I want my leaves to look true to life I usually colour them to look just like that, which is nit what I am looking for here.

Thanks so much for all your helpful tips and taking the time to post. I had another idea I am going to try later and will advise. Don't you know we are our own worst critics when it comes to something we make, the recipient probably would not even notice the uneven leaf colour , and even think it was done to look more realistic.lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2014, 07:32 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Ooops sorry for double post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2014, 07:48 AM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

BTW - the pic I posted wasn't touched up with a blender pen. :p

I've been stamping for so long that I don't expect perfection with stamps - it would be nice, but my experience has taught me not to look for it. I have over 7,000 individual stamps and so I've seen a lot of quality variances.

There are companies I love but they don't have deeply carved rubber so I know that I have to watch that I don't get ink in parts that should not have ink.

I know that anytime I stamp a really large solid image I have to be careful about pressing evenly to get full coverage. I have some stamps that never, never, never stamp fully.

Since you've tried everything, it really sounds you just got a bad stamp. I've have several of the poly stamps from SU and haven't had the problems you're having so just call your demo and she can get you a new set. :p

Last edited by stamphappy1650; 09-23-2014 at 07:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Default SU Big BooBoo

Update:

I did some more experimenting today and came to a couple of resolutions.

First of all, instead of my usual soft pad under my stamps, I used a thick piece of fun foam.
Inking first once again with Versamark......then inking and pressing down hard on stamp......better image still not solid colour.

I then used my newest "Jucieist" SU stamp using the same technique with satisfactory results. It appears to me that in order for "their" photopolymer stamps to work well you must use the newest Jucieist Ink pads .The older ones just don't seem to give the same coverage even using the above method.

So the trick as I see it you must have the newest juicy stamp to get a good image with this first layer of the wreath. Don't know why second layer not any problem or with the last one with berries.

So I shall have to buy a new juicy green.lol Meanwhile it looks like I will be making some fall wreaths in brown with orange berries.

So perhaps to anyone else having this problem, try using your new juicy ink pad even if its not colour you want, just to see if that helps obtain a better image.

On the same subject, I saw an interesting Video using this wreath where the Demo cut out the centre of the wreath out first, then proceeded to stamp around and lastly cutting out the entire wreath. She claimed it is easier to line up the next two layers.....just another way to skin a cat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #29  
Glitter Queen

Default a Tim Holtz tip

I got this tip from Tim Holtz and it works for clear stamps. Before you use the stamps, season them with Archival Ink. Let it dry. It will stain the stamp, but it will hold the lightest of inks, and not affect the color.

So, now when I get clear stamps, the first thing I do is stamp them with Archival ink, and no stamping problems. Plus, you can see what the stamp is without the mylar printed sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2014, 07:16 PM   #30  
Embossing Fanatic

When I get new clear stamps no matter what company they come from the first thing I do is wash them with dawn dish soap, this takes off all the manufacturing gunk. Then I stamp them with a dark red stamp pad, this seems to "season" them and stains them so I can see one when I drop it on the floor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2014, 06:12 AM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeannejj13View Post
I got this tip from Tim Holtz and it works for clear stamps. Before you use the stamps, season them with Archival Ink. Let it dry. It will stain the stamp, but it will hold the lightest of inks, and not affect the color.
I got similar advice when I bought some clear stamps from a UK company. The instructions said to wash and dry the stamps then coat with Archival and stamp off. Repeat the inking/stamping several times then wash again.

This certainly seemed to improve the quality of the stamped image.

Lesley BD
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2014, 06:02 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because I used to be a CTMH demo I have tons of their ink pads which are formulated for clear stamps, these are the pads I've been using with the clear SU stamps and have gotten really good impressions, even with solid stamps. For me the CTMH ink pads are the best I've found to work with any clear stamps I have.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2014, 11:43 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

When I get a new clear stamp I take an emery board (used to file fingernails) and very lightly rub it over the stamp. Works great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 05:21 AM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought a huge Archival ink pad and am gonna try using my stamps on it and letting dry. As I have tried emery, eraser and they dont work for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Just wondering if any of the SU demos reading this have thought to mention this discussion to their head office???? Obviously this is not an isolated problem by the number of views, I have to wonder how many of these are also looking for answers. Any demos care to input here?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 131 Likes on 46 Posts

Demo here. And former materials test technician in the polymer field. I think the issue is "mold release" residue on the clear stamps.

I had a similar problem with the baby buggy in the "Something for baby" set. My upline told me to "massage" the inkpad with a bone folder or plastic spoon. That worked on the baby carriage (after I had already buffed the stamp with a fine grit nail buffer, scrubbed it with stamp cleaner and so forth.)

Massaging the ink pad did not work with the solid circle in "what's your type" (Which I LOVE LOVE LOVE that set!) finally, I washed the whole set in warm water and dawn. Worked better after that. I use a foam pad underneath always. And sometimes especially with that stamp - ink it on the new style inkpad and then touch it to same color old style ink pad - yeah it's a pain in the neck but I LOVE that set and will do anything to make it work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #37  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

In my experience, not all clear stamps are made well. There are some that are just terrible, no matter what you do. That's why I stopped buying the $1 stamps in the craft stores. I have found that CTMH stamps are the best clear stamps I've ever bought (no, I'm not a demo). I have also found that pigment-based inks work best with clear stamps, but I have had some success with other types.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2014, 12:13 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Default SU Big Boo Boo

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
In my experience, not all clear stamps are made well. There are some that are just terrible, no matter what you do. That's why I stopped buying the $1 stamps in the craft stores. I have found that CTMH stamps are the best clear stamps I've ever bought (no, I'm not a demo). I have also found that pigment-based inks work best with clear stamps, but I have had some success with other types.
Lol, my $1.50 acrylics all stamp better than the Wondrous Wreath. I agree sometimes it's the stamp period. Had someone else had posted this before I bought it I never would have made the purchase, as I had the same experience with another of their stamps. So as the saying goes "once burned twice shy" in my case" burned twice". What can I say .......slow learner;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Most times when I use dye inks on ANY clear stamp it just beads up...seems like using water on plastic and images are blotchy. It's just impossible to use Tim Holtz Distress on clear stamps. I use pigment and chalk ink AND MFT dye inks made by Color Box. No problems with beading or splotchy prints. I have not yet tried MFT Hybrid inks, but I plan to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2014, 01:32 PM   #40  
Glitter Guru

I had an issue with the wreath, but rubbed it several times and then was able to get 70 or so good images. I am really having a problem with the CTMH monthly stamp, I will have to work on it
Reply With Quote Likes