Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I'm the only stamper n the world that doesn't have a Misty type positioner. I'm about 90% SU but I dought I'll order this. I think it looks really nice. I just don't feel I have a need for it!

I always said the same thing. Do I really need a MISTI, the price was a big factor to me along with I have more wood stamps than cling. Was it really worth my $60.00 being a one income family for a want toy for mom and not a need toy for mom.

Well out come Tim Holtz positioner at $40. Well I have been thinking about this ever since the misti came out and was introduced in the SCS forum.

Well I must say I finally broke down and bought the Tim Holtz one at my local stamp store in July.

I must say I love it, but I will not be unmounting my wood stamps to use it. I pretty much buy cling or photopolymer stamps now, unless I really really like a wood stamp.

I can say it makes a big different restamping an image that does not stamp completely, which I find this problem more with photopolymer stamps than with cling or wood stamps.

The best advantage I have found with the positioner is stamping sentiment stamps. most of mine are cling or photopolymer stamps. Lining up straight this tool is wonderful at.

But I did wait like almost 3 years plus to make up my mind to buy something I still think I can stamp without. But it does make certain stamp projects much easier ....I must confess ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #42  
Forum Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Quote:

I'm the only stamper n the world that doesn't have a Misty type positioner. I'm about 90% SU but I dought I'll order this. I think it looks really nice. I just don't feel I have a need for it!
Where the MISTI or other stamp positional Tool is invaluable is when you stamp on watercolor paper. The bumpy surface makes it pretty much impossible to get a good stamped image with only one chance to get it right. I love watercolored images and until I got the MISTI I was wasting WC paper like crazy and it was frustrating, as well as expensive.

After I got hooked using the MISTI for WC, I ventured out with it and used it to stamp images onto diecuts (SU Bear Hugs! ). OMG! I was in LOVE with my MISTI even more!

I also find it to be a stress-saver when I need to put a stamped sentiment onto a completed card front. No more partial images, smears, wonky angles - it�s perfect, even if it takes 5 trys to get it done.

I waited a long time before I got the MISTI, so I understand your reluctance. That being said, it is a used and valued tool in my stamp room and one I rely on to minimize stamping flubs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2017, 06:57 PM   #43  
Mad Swapper

Received 267 Likes on 112 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
Where the MISTI or other stamp positional Tool is invaluable is when you stamp on watercolor paper. The bumpy surface makes it pretty much impossible to get a good stamped image with only one chance to get it right.
Re-stamping! That's why I use the MISTI. I consider its price to be "mental health money" well spent in order to get a clear, well-stamped image. 'Twill be interesting to watch the various stamp positioners compete with each other next year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2017, 03:42 AM   #44  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I've been researching stamp positioning tools and still can't decide which one to get. Tim Holtz maybe as I like the open sides. It's on special in a shop here this weekend so this might be crunch time! Someone in an earlier post mentioned the new SU one being $49.....it's going to be over $80 here in Australia so I will not be getting one and I'm with SU!! If it hadn't been for all the patent stuff going on with the Misti when I was in the States in April I'd have bought a Hampton Art one as the price was very reasonable in American dollars. I hope I love whichever one I end up with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2017, 04:38 PM   #45  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought the Tonic/Tim Holtz positioner on Amazon$30 free shipping and I also found it on Blitsy.com for $23.99 and free shipping with $25 order. So deals are out there right now and I believe tge TH one gives more surface to stamp on making stamping on a scrapbook page more friendly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2017, 06:02 AM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Couldn't handle the price of the Misti so waited for several years. Finally purchased the Hampton Art one at a convention last February. It's probably made better than the Misti, and was much less expensive. Glad I got it before all the mess with the court stuff. Anyway, I've had it almost a year, and I've never used it. I always forget about it. I've never really needed one and I stamp over 40 cards a month. One of these days I'll remember to use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2017, 05:44 PM   #47  
Embossing Fanatic

Smile Stamping Platform

Well, I bit the bullet and yesterday bought the TH stamping platform, a good deal for here in Australia at $41.95 (on special). I have a craft store near me so went for a look and there it was! I hope I use it as I have managed all these years without such a tool! They do look very useful though...

Interestingly, the lady that runs the store said she was going to buy the new SU one as well! Bit out of my price range that one (and I'm with SU!) though it does look good.

Noticed a few folk are saying they haven't actually used their shiny new positioning tools....a friend of mine here says the same.....hope after all this research and finally deciding I 'need' one that I really do use it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2017, 08:24 PM   #48  
Compulsive Stamper

Pamela - thanks for the heads up about the TH platform on sale - just bought one as I have an online account with that store! Much cheaper than the $60-65 other stores are charging.

Kinda interested in the SU one but at $85AUD it's not that affordable... hoping my TH covers everything I need in a positioner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2017, 02:28 AM   #49  
Embossing Fanatic

Default TH stamp platform

Glad to be of service! We should compare notes later! Providing I use the thing....

By the way, any craft stores in Melbourne I should check out when I get there in Dec? :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2017, 09:04 AM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 384 Likes on 208 Posts

Quote:

I'm with you! I don't have a Misti and don't see the need to spend the money for it or the SU one. I don't mass produce my cards nor do I sell them. This is my personal hobby and I use the cards for my own personal use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #51  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,930 Likes on 2,195 Posts

I understand your reasoning for not needing a stamp positioner, but I said the same thing and use my Misti on nearly every card now! I never have to worry if I don't stamp dark enough because I can just ink up and closed the door in the exact same spot, with no blurry lines! And most times i don't get ink in other places even if I accidentally got ink on the door. And with watercolor paper, I always need to stamp more than once because of the texture of it. I really would like the new SU one because of the hinge movement, but I can't justify buying it since I have Misti and Tim Holtz positioners.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #52  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I especially love using a stamping platform when stamping words made from individual letters from an alpha set. An acetate grid sheet is put on top of the card and I stamp the word(s) on it to make sure it's positioned well before stamping on the card. The acetate is wiped off between tries.

And sometimes a letter is used more than once, so using a platform allows me to stamp the sentiment and fill in the letter in the blank space(s).

I often use a platform for sentiments, which could be crooked if left to my own devices, for stamping on textured paper, or for stamps that need to be stamped more than once - whether because of the stamp or the stamper.

But I still love blocks and use them too. It's nice - and fun - to have multiple tools in the tool box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2017, 12:37 AM   #53  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Stamping platforms

i completely agree with those who don't feel the need for one. I have managed nicely for 16 years without one. But having seen how they make things line up so beautifully and fix the bits that don't get enough ink to begin with etc, I think they are very useful. And I just do all this as a hobby, no selling or publishing or anything.

I did use mine today just 'cos I had it, but I didn't need to as it wasn't that kind of stamping. I must try it 'properly' so I can feel impressed with myself and justify the expenditure!!

But seriously........I don't want a batch of these tools!! One HAS to be enough! :eek:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2017, 07:13 AM   #54  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before I had a stamp positioner I was always looking for the perfect ink. With a stamp positioner it gives me an opportunity to correct a poor impression. I’ve stopped collecting ink. I waste a lot less cardstock and watercolor paper and there is a lot less stress in applying sentiments and using layered stamps. For me it’s a timesaver and makes for a more relaxing hobby. I resisted initially because I thought they were overpriced. I still think some of them are overpriced but it’s the type of tool I’ve come to rely on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2017, 06:51 AM   #55  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
Broken record here. Whoever comes out with a compact stamp positioner to match my mini Misti has my cash. I think this is innovative but I just don’t have the real estate on my desk. Never say never though. I’m very fond of my TH even though I didn’t think I needed it. LOL on the ink everywhere potential and the not cheating on Tim.
I think we just got our Tim Holtz "mini" for the time being - and it's a diecut machine! Never saw that one coming!;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2017, 07:02 AM   #56  
Gallery Gazer

Since the Sidekick die cutting machine has been around for quite a while in non-Tim colors and Tim only had to focus on color scheme and bundle items, wouldn't he have enough time and energy to make a Tiny Tim platform? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2017, 07:19 AM   #57  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Since the Sidekick die cutting machine has been around for quite a while in non-Tim colors and Tim only had to focus on color scheme and bundle items, wouldn't he have enough time and energy to make a Tiny Tim platform? ;)
You would think! I may have to call Tonic and poke them again. It's forcing me to rely on the competition on crampy desk days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2017, 07:58 AM   #58  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
My sense is that he would and he will, if he decides he needs one! I have always seen TH as someone who tends to develop the things he personally wants. Rather than looking at the marketplace and looking for unfilled niches. Maybe I'm just buying into the carefully produced TH "image" but I do see him as very personal about his projects. Even the Sidekick - it has been around but languishing because of all the larger diecutting machines out there. Who wanted or needed a tiny diecut machine, when your big one would do all the same things and tons and tons more? Then Tim convinced us that we all did, by convincing us that he did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2017, 08:08 AM   #59  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I think we just got our Tim Holtz "mini" for the time being - and it's a diecut machine! Never saw that one coming!;)!
Surprised me too. That die cut machine is a little too mini for me in terms of the opening slot but I can see the advantages for those who need to tote one somewhere.

Maybe making a mini positioner would stir the hornet�s nest lawsuit wise so they are holding back. Tonic is big on making mini versions so surely they have considered it. Time will tell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2017, 08:20 AM   #60  
Crimping Master

Quote:

My sense is that he would and he will, if he decides he needs one! I have always seen TH as someone who tends to develop the things he personally wants. Rather than looking at the marketplace and looking for unfilled niches. Maybe I'm just buying into the carefully produced TH "image" but I do see him as very personal about his projects. Even the Sidekick - it has been around but languishing because of all the larger diecutting machines out there. Who wanted or needed a tiny diecut machine, when your big one would do all the same things and tons and tons more? Then Tim convinced us that we all did, by convincing us that he did.
I would buy the mini positioner in a heartbeat and it would be my go to. Since TH is such a fan of tag making and demos many small scale projects I would think a mini positioner would be ideal. I agree. I think he goes with what suits him and is excellent at making us love it. Maybe when the dust settles we will see one and with a few innovations. It would be funny if it were brown.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #61  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Yup, the idea of cranking just a couple little times for small dies instead of around and around and handling big plates now appeals hugely (thank you Tim?). If I get the Sidekick it will be the gray/white one though. I really wanted/needed/longed for/lusted after it after watching his video. I've calmed down some and am now considering it. And will not re-watch the video.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2017, 03:34 PM   #62  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by pamela16View Post
Glad to be of service! We should compare notes later! Providing I use the thing....

By the way, any craft stores in Melbourne I should check out when I get there in Dec? :shock:
Thanks so much - it has already arrived and I am delighted!

As for craft stores, unfortunately there's not many left in Melbourne, like most places. Creative Dreams in Boronia (outer eastern suburbs) is great, as is Bellbird Paperarts in Blackburn (eastern suburbs). There's nothing really 'central' that I know of specifically for papercrafts. Enjoy your break in Melbourne - hopefully our heatwave will be over by then and you'll get some miler weather :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #63  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile MISTI, Holtz, or Stamparatus????

Hello all!! My husband was on the verge of ordering me a MISTI until I found out that SU was coming out with their own!!!! (I haven't been in the SU world much lately! Super busy!) SSSOOOOO WHICH ONE SHOULD I GET???? Any advice would be appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2017, 02:57 PM   #64  
Crimping Master

I’d get the SU one if it were me, more versatile, open sides. I have a Misti and a Tim Holtz. If one or the other disappeared I’d replace with another Tim or an SU. Just like some of the newer innovative products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #65  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The open sides to me seem to take alot of room. If you have unlimited space, it might work. The Tim Holtz is my favorite even though I have two Mistis. I don't like the Misti nor Stampin Ups business practices and would not continue to support either. Good cmpanies should be rewarded with loyality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #66  
Glitter Guru

My Misti felt cramped to me. Love my Tonic Stamping Platform. YMMV. Tools are very personal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #67  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 976 Likes on 475 Posts

nevermind

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #68  
Forum Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Quote:

My Misti felt cramped to me. Love my Tonic Stamping Platform. YMMV. Tools are very personal.
Your comment about the MISTI put into words what I have been thinking the last couple of times I�ve used my MISTI (regular sized one not mini).

I was steaming when I was unable to use the MISTI to stamp the inside greeting on a Top fold A2 card that had raised panel and embellies on the front - I couldn�t get the dang stamping flap to close because the top part of the card was hanging out the top and it it was too thick to bend to fit inside the space of the MISTI. Since I do lots of top-fold cards, this is not the first time this has happened, but it�s gonna be the last...I already ordered the SU whatyamacallit and will hopefully get it in early Feb.

So advice to those getting into the stamp positioner market for the first time, consider getting a larger one just so you aren�t limited in what you can use it for. As for not having enough room to use the larger ones, just move to a larger uncluttered surface to use it, totally get it away from From your active, messy work space. Just my 2 cents on the debate...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #69  
Crimping Master

I finally did the make more room thing too since I wasn't using my TH as much even though I like it the best. The card flap thing pushed me over the edge too. I added a small side desk for my laptop and now I can steam away with my TH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2017, 03:36 AM   #70  
Glitter Guru

Mine has always been on my smaller, lower worktable next to my main work space. Since I use it constantly, it needs to be out where I can always get to it. If I were pressed for space I would put my trimmer away before I put away my stamp platform.
Reply With Quote Likes