Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-19-2014, 04:40 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Spectrum Noir Markers

Last night I read many threads about the differences between Copics and Spectrum Noir. My problem is that I don't get to stamp nearly as often as I'd like. The copies are awesome, yes, I know. However, for someone like me who doesn't get to stamp often, I am wondering if the copics are worth it. Crafters Companion has the Spectrum Noir sets of 6 on sale for $7 each and I've been trying for the last two weeks to determine which copics to buy. It almost would seem easier to just buy the Spectrum Noir markers because they are in sets.

Can you offer me any insight? Please and thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tami like you I do not get to stamp as often as I really would love too, but when I do the coloring media I choose is based on the image and effect I want to achieve in my project. I own coloring pencils, colored markers, ink pads, and chalks, because I like to have the variety and try different looks. It is just as important to know what is your skill level to determine how much you want to invest in your tools. I consider myself a hobbyist stamper and while I love to stamp and color with different media, I do not invest in pricey items, such as the COPICS, simply because I know I will not use them as often, and it would not be smart for me to spend that money and let them sit in a drawer.

It took me a while to venture into alcohol markers, because you also must feel comfortable using them. It takes practice, patience and more practice to be good at coloring with them. If you have an oportunity I would recommend you trying them out first (regardless of the brand) to determine if you want to invest in them. I had the chance to take a class using the SPECTRUM NOIR at a craft fair and I really liked them. I bought all their basic color collections as they suited my coloring needs and fit my budget. Now I got another coloring media that I am able to use whenever I deem them best for my project, without feeling guilt of the money I spent or not using them as often. I hope this helps you in your decision.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I suspect that how often you get to stamp is less relevant than what you're comfortable with and enjoy using. It's frustrating to use something that's either sub-standard or just plain doesn't suit you - you'll either end up wasting more of your precious stamping time because things don't work out as you hoped or you won't enjoy it as much as you could.

Unless the shipping is prohibitively expensive, why not buy yourself a set of six SNs and see how you like them? At seven bucks that seems like a sensible investment.

I use Copics because I tried them and loved them. I tried Spectrum Noir and just couldn't get on with them - everybody is different so I'd agree with Njoilif that you should try them if you can. It seems to me that $7 is a good "trial price" for the Spectrum Noirs and if you don't love them, you could pass them along to somebody who might (I sold the set I'd bought as a trial on eBay at a bit less than I paid for them - I tried them at low cost to myself and somebody else got a nearly-new set at a good price - win/win!)

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When I first started stamping and coloring I wasn't sure if I would like it so I just bought the basic Prismacolor pencils and gamsol. I used that for a long time and was satisfied with the results, but when I went to the galleries here in Splitcoast and
I saw the work that these amazing women were doing with Copics I wanted to try it too. Until I saw the price and realized I couldn't justify it. I bought the Spectrum Noir markers hoping that my stamped images would be masterpieces too. I could not get the blending right....I tried and tried but nothing looked like I saw here. Now don' t get me wrong I like the Spectrum Noir markers and I also know it's user error, not marker error.
So I've compromised and when I now color,I first color the whole image in the colors I want with the markers as a base color and then I go back with a darker matching Prismacolor pencil and put in the shading.
My coloring still doesn't look like what I see these ladies do but it works for me and I'm okay with it.

Anna Lee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2014, 01:34 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a huge hodge podge of markers. I have some Copics, lots of Sharpies and Bics, some Twin Touch by Shinhan, and some Spectrum Noirs. I use them all with each other, according to the colors I want.

I am not an advanced "colorist" who wants to use 4 different shades of the same color. I just want my images to have a little definition, and not look "flat". I generally just use a light and darker tone of the same color and I'm happy with that look, but that's me.

I've been pleased with the Spectrum Noirs, and especially pleased with their inexpensive cost. I will say, however, that a few of the markers I got in sets of 6 dried out very quickly, and in fact, a couple of them were DOA, dry to start.

I had gotten them at Joann's with a coupon for next to nothing, so it didn't bother me too much. But I've heard others say they had dry ones too, so that's something to consider.

When they work, I like them just as well as my other markers.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks to all of you for your comments! When I'm in, I'm all in and I bought the Spectrum Noirs because for the money, I just couldn't justify the cost of the copics. I too have so many inkpads it should be a sin, and I use blender pens and aqua painters, chalks and colored pencils. I'll just have to practice, practice, practice. I really appreciate your comments and responses! Thanks again! Perhaps I can stamp sometime soon and get into these challenges!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2014, 05:29 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjblack3View Post
Thanks to all of you for your comments! When I'm in, I'm all in and I bought the Spectrum Noirs because for the money, I just couldn't justify the cost of the copics. I too have so many inkpads it should be a sin, and I use blender pens and aqua painters, chalks and colored pencils. I'll just have to practice, practice, practice. I really appreciate your comments and responses! Thanks again! Perhaps I can stamp sometime soon and get into these challenges!
Glad you got them. I think you will be pleased. You know the coloring medium is just a small part of any artistic project. A big part of it is the artist! Ask me how I know? Because I'm not one, lol. I am, however, happy with my efforts and so are my family and friends who receive my cards.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2014, 06:36 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Good for you! I LOVE Spectrum Noir... I switched from Copics before I got to the point of needing to purchase refills because I like the SN better and they are less expensive. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2014, 02:36 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 374 Likes on 222 Posts

I agree with Bugga. I've bought 2 sets, and some of them were dry when I got them. The others seem to be drying out now, and I've had them for less than a year. I'm not impressed with the way they hold up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Can Spectrum Noir pens be refilled?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Yes they can.

Also, if they dry up and you know there is ink in the barrel, take the large end off and put some drops of alcohol in there. I use an eyedropper for this.
Then treat the marker just like you would if you had put more ink in it.
I've done this many times---if you have any questions, please pm me.

Last edited by larue; 02-20-2014 at 04:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I've refilled one of mine twice, and it still seems to dry out after a few weeks. Maybe I got a bad batch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Larue what alcohol & percentage you use for the markers? I just bought some sets a month ago, and a few of the markers arrived dry, so for sure there has to be ink in the barrel. I will like to "fix" them, instead of throwing them away.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I just use the 70%. I think it is the cheapest and most common kind.
It works just great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2014, 12:02 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks Larue. I will give it a try
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

If your marker is very dry fill the eye dropper 2/3 with alcohol and put all of it in slowly. Let it sit on its dry end for about 10 minutes and try it again. If it is still dry, do the procedure again and put in 1/3 of a dropper.

I remove the large end with a piece of paper towel so I do not get ink all over my hands.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Here's a video how to if you are nervous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_oK...e_gdata_player
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2014, 06:30 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for sharing. That woman on the video is way too hyper for me, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yeah Lindsay is full of energy! I'm glad because she gets loads of videos done which helps me get going.
Reply With Quote Likes