Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Something I don't understand ...

Okay, I've been thinking about this for awhile now, and it's really bothering me.

I've seen a ton of cardmaking "supplies" for sale online (won't mention any names because I don't want to hurt feelings) by at-home-type businesses. I'm all for that! I'm a SAHM and know how extra income can really come in handy.

BUT what I'm not "all for" is taking something I can buy 100 of in a regular store for $1 or so and selling them in sets of 5-10 for anywhere from $1-5 a set, plus shipping. There is not much (if anything) done to change them from their original state.

Now, it's really not the seller I'm wondering about here. (Obviously these people are marketing geniuses.) It's the buyers I wonder about. Who in the world buys this stuff?? (And yes, lots of people buy it!) Are they really that clueless?

I'm wondering if it's another one of those brand name things. Certain people could sell dirt and people would buy it simply because of who is selling it or whose name is on it.

Please tell me I'm not the only one that feels this way!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I know personally I forget that not everyone lives in a place where there's a 'regular store' for them to buy things at. It's those folks that these sellers appeal to. And yes, I think certain people can sell dirt....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

For me it is because I live in the middle of nowhere and have no access to these items locally. This way I shop in the convenience of my home and the nice UPS man drives a long way to bring it to me. What a deal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with Novell. I live in a large city and have a nice car sitting in my driveway with gas in it. Whatever I need, I just get in the car and go get it.

I think we sometimes forget that not everyone drives or has access to reliable transportation. Also, many people, especially in small rural areas, don't have the stores close by that sell what they want or need.

And, sometimes even when folks have money, cars and stores, they just don't like to get out and shop for whatever reason. They would rather pay more and have items delivered right to their mailbox.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Well, that might explain it ... some. Thanks for the perspective!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2010, 05:07 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

It has to do with quality for me. The big box craft stores sell card stock with much less quality than what I can get on line and much prettier too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2010, 07:42 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about cardstock or anything you'd buy from a big name retailer online. These are smallish shops selling odd embellishments and such. They are often items everyone already has around their house or could buy at the dollar store.

I still don't "get it," but I guess it's worth it for some people. Now if only I could figure out how to sell dirt ... ;) (Just kidding!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2010, 07:52 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
Also if it's something only sold in quantity, some might only want a few of the item and not 100.
I think that's it exactly. Yes, I can go to USToy and buy a roll of tickets to embellish for $7ish. But do I really need a whole roll of tickets knocking around? And what if I want 5 different colors, do I want to spend $35?

I think that's where the embellishment re-sellers have carved out a well deserved niche.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2010, 06:10 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I don't shop in a Dollar Store. In my opinion, what's in those kinds of stores is worth just that .01-$1. Not the quality of craft items or any other items for that matter I would care to waste the money on.

I prefer to patronize my local small craft stores and my local chain craft stores before I would look on-line for items. Most times you can find the same or comparable locally. You pay no shipping and only sales tax. You get to see, touch and feel in person the items before you spend the money.

I understand those that don't have the benefit of local stores (within 25 miles). In that case, I would make do with what I could find or choose another craft to get involved in.

In reference to Post #10.....to me those people who purchase pre-made stuff are not crafters. They want to impress people to make them think they are. (just my opinion)

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2010, 08:19 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
Personally I don't shop in a Dollar Store. In my opinion, what's in those kinds of stores is worth just that .01-$1. Not the quality of craft items or any other items for that matter I would care to waste the money on.

I prefer to patronize my local small craft stores and my local chain craft stores before I would look on-line for items. Most times you can find the same or comparable locally. You pay no shipping and only sales tax. You get to see, touch and feel in person the items before you spend the money.

I understand those that don't have the benefit of local stores (within 25 miles). In that case, I would make do with what I could find or choose another craft to get involved in.

In reference to Post #10.....to me those people who purchase pre-made stuff are not crafters. They want to impress people to make them think they are. (just my opinion)

Patti
You'd change (craft) hobbies if you couldn't find what you need/want within 25 miles? Really?

That blows my mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Patti, thanks for your post! I personally love my dollar store (they get amazing things in mine, but you have to know your stuff). I guess some people don't understand why someone would shop in the dollar store like I don't understand why someone would pay inflated prices for things I can get for pennies.

I really didn't mean to be "ugly" about it. I honestly don't understand the mindset. But I guess that's because we're all different ... and different can be good, right? I'm glad not everyone is like me or our economy would be really in trouble because nobody would be spending anything.
Reply With Quote Likes