Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-22-2023, 05:22 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default So many new DIE CUTTING MACHINES

I am considering buying yet another electronic die cutting machine. I'd like a bigger platform. I'm looking at the new Gemini II. I saw it demo'd and it is much quieter than my Jr. It looks like there are other options, but it's hard to know which is best. Looks like Sizzix switch has a bigger platform and I have heard good things about empress. I would appreciate some insights about the various options.
I have 4 die cutting machines for different reasons: my first Big Shot, a Gemini Jr, Vagabond and Spellbinders platinum. I ought to sell Big Shot, because I never use it. I like the Vagabond, but sometimes I don't like holding the switch down. My Gemini Jr is noisy and the plates warp so much! I got the Platinum to have a bigger platform and to better accommodate 3d embossing folders. But it is harder to crank than I anticipated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2023, 03:16 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 975 Likes on 474 Posts

Not what you asked, but just a note: I bought the double-sided plates for the Gemini Jr and have had zero warping. If you decide not to go large format, maybe try this for the JR? If not, you can also play around with the sandwich. I found mine doesn't need to be as tight as what they recommend; it cuts well even with regular plates and they don't warp.

Thanks for the feedback on the Platinum. I was thinking that if my Jr ever dies I would consider that next.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2023, 05:25 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the Sizzix Switch Plus and like that it has a bigger platform although I've never needed the extra space. I bought the Switch because my trusty Vagabond (bought when they were first released many years ago) sounds like it's getting ready to die. The Switch has some good features (important to me is that it can cut the Bigz dies because I have several of them for cutting mini-books) but it does seem to cut with more pressure than most machines. The plates get marked very quickly, not just cut, but the plate that goes against the top side of the die carries the impression of the outside shape of the die. I find that that impression carries over to other papers that I cut (hard to explain). It works well, it's just got some quirks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2023, 02:01 PM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Happy w/Gemini Pro

I bought the Gemini Pro (12" plate) 3 years ago. I love it! To be able to cut multiple items on one plate is awesome along with being able to do 12" paper for scrapbooks. I am considering buying the Gemini Jr for smaller jobs. Definitely look into the "magic" mats. They don't warp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2023, 02:42 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I just purchased the Empress. It is only my second die cutting machine, the first one being a Big Shot purchased sometime in the early 2000's. Since receiving the Empress, I've been die cutting my heart out. I absolutely love it! The plates are marked, which makes it so very easy to flip the plates. So far, I see no warping. It is quiet; much quieter than the heat gun for sure. So far my most intricate dies are cutting with one pass. And the most impressive part are the clean cuts. Very happy with this purchase, as it is an investment. NOTE: It will not cut the Bigz dies (which I rarely use), so I will keep my Big Shot. Best of luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2023, 06:03 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Default I did an comparison

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwlawkyView Post
I am considering buying yet another electronic die cutting machine. I'd like a bigger platform. I'm looking at the new Gemini II. I saw it demo'd and it is much quieter than my Jr. It looks like there are other options, but it's hard to know which is best. Looks like Sizzix switch has a bigger platform and I have heard good things about empress. I would appreciate some insights about the various options.
I have 4 die cutting machines for different reasons: my first Big Shot, a Gemini Jr, Vagabond and Spellbinders platinum. I ought to sell Big Shot, because I never use it. I like the Vagabond, but sometimes I don't like holding the switch down. My Gemini Jr is noisy and the plates warp so much! I got the Platinum to have a bigger platform and to better accommodate 3d embossing folders. But it is harder to crank than I anticipated.
I compared the Switch to the Gemini II:
Reply With Quote Likes