Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-11-2006, 06:30 PM   #1  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so let's hear it, what is your favorite cutter?

With all this talk about cutters, what is your favorite cutter and why?? I want someone to take down all this info and then invent the perfect cutter for card makers! Any volunteers??

I love the small style of the fiskars-like trimmers. I don't have the table space for a large one, and I never cut more than one sheet at a time. However, I hate the yucky cuts. It doesn't cut straight all the time! I need to have good, visible markings, be able to cut as small as a 1/4 inch, have a swing out arm that measures up to 12 in., hmm...can't think of anything else at the moment.

So let's hear what you love and why!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 06:40 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the blue Fiskars slide cutter (at least I think that's what it's called). It's not the big huge one and it's not one of the gray ones where the blade fits in the little guard piece, it actually has a slide blade that you have to push down on to cut. I got as a birthday gift from a friend a few years ago and didn't really care for it at first, but once I got the hang of it, it's the only one that I ever use - you get a nice straight cut everytime!!

Lauri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 06:46 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

I'm a fan of the rotary cutterpede. Compact, convenient and straight cuts as long as you replace/rotate the cutting strip every few months.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 06:58 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I wish I could narrow my cutters down to just one, but I am currently using 4.

I have a large fiskars that I have had for about 3 years...cuts just great. I use this one for getting ready for club meetings and doing swaps.

I also have the CM personal trimmer (guillotine style) that I use for small straight cuts.

Then I have the fiskars triple track that I use when I go to stamp outside of my stamp room, or for when I have friends over to stamp.

Lastly, I use perfect layers to do all my matting. I could not live without it!!! I have had mine since they debuted on QVC over 4 years ago.

As of right now I am considering getting the Carl DC210 from Everafter Arts, but I am still undecided. I like the fact that I can cut several sheets at a time, but I've heard you can't cut anything less then a 1" or so. So that means I could not elminate my cutter collection.

Oh yeah, I also have the EK success cutterpede..but I gave it to my DD becuase I just was not happy with it. I could not get consistent straight cuts...drove me nuts!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 07:00 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 124 Likes on 110 Posts

Of the trimmers I've tried, the Cutterpede cuts the straightest. But there are a lot that I haven't tried yet (such as Carl, the CM 12" straight cutter, and doesn't Provo Craft make one now too?). I really like that the Cutterpede has measurements marked in 1/16" increments.

The ONE thing that drives me bonkers about the Cutterpede is that the swing-out arm has a bend in it right where the 5 1/2" mark should be. I realize that they did that so you could just nestle your paper in the corner that the arm makes for a perfect 6" measurement, which can be handy for scrapbooking. But for cardmaking, I (for one) really need a 5.5" mark!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 07:49 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I prefer the CM 12' for straight, precise cuts but I like the Cutterpede b/c I can change the blades for scoring and preforating (sp?).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 07:58 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

i Have the fiskars 12" trimmer from the SU! catty. I love love love it. it cuts straight, but you have to buy the refills from the catty cuz the ones from WM makes it cut crooked. HOWEVER! it SUCKS at cutting Whisper White CS. it leaves the paper all ragged. I have a fiskars gilloutine cutter for WW. that gives a nice clean edge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #8  
Preggo Brain

Location: Trying to spend as much time as possible watching Xander and Xavier grow and learn!

I absolutely LOVE my Cutterpede 12 inch cutter!!!! I actually now have three. One is soon going to be my SIL's (as soon as I finish making some totebag purses for an event. I love that it cuts straight!!!!!!
I also have the old small gray fiskars cutter and the one that is like what SU! sells and do not care for them. They don't cut straight for me.
BTW HL has the Cutterpede 12" straight line trimmer on sale for 1/3 of this week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I SERIOUSLY saw the title of this thread and immediately started thinking about my Christmas cookie cutters. I'm thinking "I kinda like the old gingerbread man the best...." LOL!!!

HI! It's all about the food. ;)

Now that I'm here and see that I'm the victim of a blonde moment, I will tell you that I have the Fiskars cutter but I'm not all that happy with it. I get crooked cuts! I don't know if my plastic isn't molded right (not at a 90 deg angle) or what?!?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 03:40 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

genesis paper trimmer. The last one you'll ever buy. You can line up vellum over cardstock and shave off a tiny piece of vellum so that it is the same size as the cardstock. It is the perfect trimmer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 04:01 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sairabee
I SERIOUSLY saw the title of this thread and immediately started thinking about my Christmas cookie cutters. I'm thinking "I kinda like the old gingerbread man the best...." LOL!!!

HI! It's all about the food. ;)

Now that I'm here and see that I'm the victim of a blonde moment, I will tell you that I have the Fiskars cutter but I'm not all that happy with it. I get crooked cuts! I don't know if my plastic isn't molded right (not at a 90 deg angle) or what?!?

I also have the Fiskars cutter, but I have the purple/orange triple track one, and I'm in the market for another. Mine has started cutting crooked. I love the size of it and the swing out arm...it's a perfect size and weight for card-makers....now if they could only make it not crooked! Is that not asking for too much?

I've wondered why it cuts fine the first few months you have it (I've had mine for about a year) and then starts cutting crooked. Does the track get loose and wear out? I've tried changing the blades, and that works for a while, but eventually, it's back to crooked...very frustrating!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 07:18 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

I have the larger tabletop Fiskars rotary cutter. I purchased it 7 years ago when I started stamping. I've never had a problem with it. I have the scoring and 5 other deco edge blades for it. The blades last a long time and the plastic piece that it cuts on is 4 sided. I only just replaced that piece last year. This cutter resides *under* my stamping table, as I have never had room for it. I clear a space for it when I need to use it and if doing the clearing is too painful (yes, my stamping table is generally a big clutter). I sit on the carpet and cut there instead. To do trimming on the go I use their little 9" personal trimmer and never had a problem with that on either. Fiskars does have a GREAT return policy if you get one that doesn't work right--many SCSrs have got new trimmers when they had purchased one that didn't cut straight.

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 07:47 AM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
genesis paper trimmer. The last one you'll ever buy. You can line up vellum over cardstock and shave off a tiny piece of vellum so that it is the same size as the cardstock. It is the perfect trimmer.
but it's huge and totally not portable!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 07:52 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

For stamp camps and workshops, I love my large Carl Cutter. If I'm only doing a couple of cards or need something portable I use my Fiskars cutter with the swing arm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 08:41 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Location: Oil...Hot Pan...Gordon Ramsay sexiest man alive...Done.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm so glad to hear people like the Cutterpied. I had it in my hand the other day and changed my mind. I have the old Friskars cutter and I hate it!! I could get a straight cut to dave my life!!! I will be getting the cutterpied!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 09:36 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntielauri
I have the blue Fiskars slide cutter (at least I think that's what it's called). It's not the big huge one and it's not one of the gray ones where the blade fits in the little guard piece, it actually has a slide blade that you have to push down on to cut. I got as a birthday gift from a friend a few years ago and didn't really care for it at first, but once I got the hang of it, it's the only one that I ever use - you get a nice straight cut everytime!!
I think you're talking about the same one I use - the Fiskars Ultimate Rotary Craft Trimmer. Mine was also a pain at first (very, very stiff), but after a wear-in period it's been easy to use. My favorite feature is that it has a 12" swing out on the left side, but also a shorter swing-out on the right, too! No mismeasured cuts because you needed a length that falls in the "black hole" where the swing-out begins, and no measurement ticks are engraved. It also has interchangeable face plates for measuring angled cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 11:09 AM   #17  
Inking Addict

I have the same Fiskars Ultimate Rotary Trimmer and love how straight and clean it cuts. Also love its size. I am glad to hear it "loosens up" because it can be very hard to lift the arm when I'm cutting lots of small pieces for cards. I got the Fiskars triple track and like it very much, very straight cuts, very portable, but I agree it does not do well on WW card stock. Since I am usually cutting lots of WW at once I bring out the rotary cutter. Okay, that is down to two cutters - that is close to one!

My avatar is Murphy, who looks like the dog in Bow Wow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 11:28 AM   #18  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm with Emily on this one! Even though I have a larger cutter I find myself reaching for my Fiskars trimmer more often. I also usually only cut one piece of CS at a time and I've come to love the arm/ruler that swings out from the side. The only thing I don't like about it is replacing the blades. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 01:06 PM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

I just bought the Carl RT-200 at Sam's yesterday. I thought I got a great deal-- $21.77 for the cutter with a blade, an extra blade, and an extra mat. However, it ain't no deal if it don't cut straight... and it don't!! I am so disappointed. I looked at the Cutterpede(I was on a bit of a shopping expedition!) but it didn't seem as though the markings were easy to read, although I couldn't fully tell because of the way it was packaged. Any input, anybody? I am going to return the Carl-- as far as I'm concerned, a cutter that doesn't cut straight is defective. I even had a friend try it out to see if the problem might be operator error. It wasn't.. for a change!

I'll just be sticking with my purple Fiskars for now. I was interested to hear that some of you think the Fiskars doesn't work well on the WW-- I just replaced my blade after cutting a bunch of that because I thought it must be dull. Now I wonder if I squandered a blade!

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #20  
Hot Wheels

I am pleased with my Fiskars :
http://www.fiskars.com/NO/Skole%2C+K...ontentId=84088
The only thing is that the blade has to be changed quite often for it to cut nicely, but never had problems with it not cutting strait. If it has, it has been my own fault....LOL:rolleyes:
Cards made in 2010:60
I'm going to PORCHA!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2006, 02:37 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The genesis isn't portable -- at least not easily, but straight is straight!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2006, 03:47 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Tonic safety guillotine cutter. I have had it for only a few months but from day one I really liked it. Some features:

- cuts super straight - it has a plastic piece that you press down with your fingers to keep the paper from moving as you cut.
- super clean cuts - can easily cut slivers of cs very cleanly; no straggling or fraying pieces anywhere. Cuts whisper white/very vanilla cs no problem!
- lightweight - easy to lift and carry, but due to its size you probably won't be doing that much
- "safety" guillotine - almost an oxymoron, but it's true. the blade isn't super sharp to the touch, but somehow it cuts really straight and very cleanly. I was somewhat concerned about this before getting it due to young child in the house.
- good, easy to read markings for the measurements
- 12" size (I think the Tonic is marketed more for scrappers)
- relatively inexpensive - about $40

The downside?
- too big to be truly portable, but it is lightweight so it's manageable, though ackward
- can only cut 2-3 pieces of SU cs at a time.

I still have my Fiskars triple track, but I only use it for scoring now. I've come to really hate my Fiskars since I got the Tonic!

Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2006, 11:06 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

OK, I'll be the wierd one out. I have an old school type armed papercutter, that came out of my darkroom and with that, a ruler and an exacto knife I can cut anything I want. (Granted I used to cut matboard for a living) ALSO no one (that means my dh) is allowed to use my papercutter for ANYTHING ever ever ever!!!!! I just got through cutting a bunch of cards and pieces for a friend cuz her little fiskars just wasn't doing the job. So I think it depends on a lot of variables, and your experience too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thumbs up

I just bought an x-acto brand guillotine style cutter and I love it! It even has a paper guide on it that you can set at whatever length you need and then just butt your paper up against it and cut. It's the best $35 I ever spent!
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2006, 08:24 PM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

I have a Cutterpede and HATE HATE HATE IT!!! I bought it in June when I took a scrapbook seminar put on by EK Success. It worked great in the beginning, but after about a month of use, it has bowed in the middle and I cannot get a straight cut on it.

I actually threw it in the trash, my Mom dug it out and has convinced me to write the company and complain. I mean, at $59 Canadian, it is the most expensive trimmer I own.

I have the little Fiskars slider one, and it works good, but the blades dull quickly. I'm hoping for a Carl Cutter soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2006, 09:32 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen9853
I have a Cutterpede and HATE HATE HATE IT!!! I bought it in June when I took a scrapbook seminar put on by EK Success. It worked great in the beginning, but after about a month of use, it has bowed in the middle and I cannot get a straight cut on it.

I actually threw it in the trash, my Mom dug it out and has convinced me to write the company and complain. I mean, at $59 Canadian, it is the most expensive trimmer I own.

I have the little Fiskars slider one, and it works good, but the blades dull quickly. I'm hoping for a Carl Cutter soon.

Jen did you ever replace the green mat in the cutter or replace the blade?

I have one and whenever it is off that is what needs to be done! Try replacing the green blade!

Amanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 02:28 AM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Carl all the way. Mine cuts perfectly straight!

Leslie J
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 05:32 AM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

I have always had good luck with my small and large carl cutter's. As far as scissor's go the SU ones are the best!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 05:48 AM   #29  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

ugh, I caved and bought a cutterpede at Hobby Lobby. Made dh return it for me the next day. Awful! Hate the way the arm swings, hated the groove at 5.5, couldn't get good cuts, yuck!

So back to my sometimes crooked fiskars..........

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 06:50 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

What is your favorite cutter?

I just bought a cutterpede. It cuts great;but I am going to return it. I hate the arm being on the top. I am 49 years old and wear bifocals I can't read the markings unless I stand up. I am so disappointed; as I love how it cuts. If you have any suggestions as to how to make this work for me let me know; or it is going back to Archivers.
Thanks
robinlynk
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 08:00 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just got the Carl Cutter PRT-100 after getting mad at my crooked Fiskar's. My Fiskar's was great for the last 6+ years until recently it got worse. I love my new Carl Cutter. It is a rotary so it took a little adjusting. Technically the swing arm is on the top left, I turn it upside down so it is on the bottom right. I used my Fiskar's upside down apparently as well. My stamp club would laugh at how I used it. I kept my Fiskar's for the scoring blade because changing the blade out was easy on the Carl, but not time efficient. I also started to just fold in half with my bone folder. I love the fact you can get decorative blades for the Carl Cutter as well. So far I'm happy and it was cheap at Ever Arts. Pat was so sweet. Good luck on the quest. I also needed something small.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 08:49 AM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

I have the cutterpede, and I really like it. I had to return it and get another one though since the arm broke off. I don't know why they put a metal hinge and the 6 inch part but not where the arm acutally comes out. Did that make any sense how I worded that?

I still use my carl rt-200, but it takes up more room on my little table. I like using my carl for cutting cards since I can do a few at a time.

I also have my CM personal trimmer that I used for smaller cuts.

Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 09:50 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Has anyone tried a Dahle rotary trimmer? It looks like it's made well and it's not too pricey. I'm thinking if engineers use it, it must be pretty good, right?

Dahle Personal Rotary Trimmer

(This link goes to the 12 1/2 inch trimmer that includes four different blades/carriages. You could get just the trimmer if you wanted.)

I've also seen online that professional photographers really like the Rotatrim and the Keencut brands. They are pricey, but they're supposed to last a very long time.
Attached Thumbnails
so let's hear it, what is your favorite cutter?-dahle_507_personal_large.jpg  

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 10:47 AM   #34  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

I have a Cutterpede and HATE HATE HATE IT!!! ...I mean, at $59 Canadian, it is the most expensive trimmer I own.
wow, sorry to hear you got so thoroughly hosed on the price. the LSS in Regina carries the Cutterpede for $40, and I've seen it online for $36 (but then you have to pay shipping). would you share how you are getting your planned carl cutter? i had to buy mine while i was visiting the states, but i'm game on finding other, easier ways of getting the good US goods for less than an arm and a leg shippingwise.
Reply With Quote Likes