Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-01-2022, 12:28 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sidekick??

1- is it worth having a tiny die machine?? Do you use it often?
2- are the sidekick plates the same thickness as regular cutting plates?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2022, 01:45 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,767 Likes on 1,877 Posts

I have sidekick plates and use them with my Big Shot Plus machine. They are the same thickness.

I own the small Spellbinders machine and do not use it often. I would use it more if I had space to keep it out. I have to find the space to use it, but enjoy using it when I do use it. Unfortunately the Sizzix plates are not the same size as the Sapphire machine by Spellbinders.

The Spellbinders plates from the Platinum 6 do work in my Big Shot Plus. The width of the two mini machines are a tiny bit different.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2022, 04:32 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

I have the original Diamond Press (mini) machine, and keep it under my desk, and probably use it almost daily. I have the Diamond Press Marquise and it cuts great, but same as the DP, the cheap plastic 'folders' bend so quickly, . When cutting really tiny dies, the DP is so quick and easy, The folder is 1 3/4" by 3 ", and you can make a cut in 2-3 turns of the handle. I'm glad I have it. I also have the "Craft Buddy", another mini die cut machine, and love it. Those plates are hard, like the Gemini Jr and Platinum 6, just in smaller size (3" by 6"). The Gemini Jr will cut with a larger area surface, the smaller minis cut in record time. Love both my mini die cut machines. They might even get more use than my Gemini Jr.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2022, 05:25 AM   #4  

Received 277 Likes on 164 Posts

The Sidekick was my first die cutting machine, purchased more than fifteen years ago. It still works great! I use it regularly. I love having a small, lightweight machine within arms reach that will cut a majority of the dies I own. A bonus is that it “locks” to my work surface, so no sliding around like some other brands.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by ozarkstamper:
kazeka (10-02-2022), Paula in GA (10-05-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 06:01 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I still use my daughter's Cuttle Kids (a mini version of the Cuttlebug that was around briefly), and after 16 years, it's still going strong. I'm still using the original plates too! I use it more than she ever did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2022, 06:47 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 253 Likes on 178 Posts

I have a sidekick and I have had it for 15 years or more. Still works great!!

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
kazeka (10-02-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 02:52 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Some days I use the Sidekick more than my Big Kick. Almost all my sentiment dies fit in it along with small flowers and small images.
Reply With Quote Likes
kazeka (10-02-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 05:57 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperView Post
I have sidekick plates and use them with my Big Shot Plus machine. They are the same thickness.

I own the small Spellbinders machine and do not use it often. I would use it more if I had space to keep it out. I have to find the space to use it, but enjoy using it when I do use it. Unfortunately the Sizzix plates are not the same size as the Sapphire machine by Spellbinders.

The Spellbinders plates from the Platinum 6 do work in my Big Shot Plus. The width of the two mini machines are a tiny bit different.
Thanks. I was most interested to know if the plates were the same thickness. I have easy access to plates of most any size for replacements but different thicknesses would be harder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2022, 08:31 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a sidekick and SU small machine. The Sidekick sits on my desk and the other is close by. I use both everyday and would be lost without them. They are the most used tool in my room by far.
I don't see how a card a mker can get a long without at least one of them.
Marcia
Reply With Quote Likes
Turkey1969 (10-05-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 10:03 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac4551View Post
I have the original Diamond Press (mini) machine, and keep it under my desk, and probably use it almost daily. I have the Diamond Press Marquise and it cuts great, but same as the DP, the cheap plastic 'folders' bend so quickly, . When cutting really tiny dies, the DP is so quick and easy, The folder is 1 3/4" by 3 ", and you can make a cut in 2-3 turns of the handle. I'm glad I have it. I also have the "Craft Buddy", another mini die cut machine, and love it. Those plates are hard, like the Gemini Jr and Platinum 6, just in smaller size (3" by 6"). The Gemini Jr will cut with a larger area surface, the smaller minis cut in record time. Love both my mini die cut machines. They might even get more use than my Gemini Jr.
May I ask what made you buy two mini die cut machines? I have a sidekick that someone gave to me after she bought a larger machine but have to say that I never use it because I don't have room to keep it out. I figured I can use it if I travel, but I really don't like crafting on the go because I can never figure out what supplies to bring!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2022, 10:06 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
Some days I use the Sidekick more than my Big Kick. Almost all my sentiment dies fit in it along with small flowers and small images.
Oh, good point about sentiment dies fitting easily on the Sidekick. I inherited TWO sidekicks but never use them because of lack of space. I have a Big Shot and Platinum 6 on my craft area but maybe I should try to squeeze the Side kick alongside too. I need the Big Shot out because I cut a lot of nested labels and frames, and the Spellbinder Platinum 6 is for embossing.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2022, 06:42 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I've learned that the SU mini machine has a slightly wider opening vs the Sidekick, and I like that it seems to use the same basic plate system that I'm used to using, base plate and then two plates for cutting and embossing.
If the SU plates are the same thickness as the plates from the original Cuttlebug and the newer separate Big Shot plates (not the flip book style plates), then I'll probably end up getting the SU machine, even though it's a bit more expensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Turkey1969:
fl_beachbum (10-06-2022), lovinpaper (10-05-2022)