Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-26-2018, 07:42 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default sewing machines for card making

I would like to know what types of sewing machines you might be using for papercrafting. I am in search of something small, easy to move around that I would use only for papercrafting. Thanks

Eloise
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2018, 03:12 PM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a small Jenome (sometimes purchased for young beginners) that is small and lightweight, but great for stitching on cards as well as quick mending when I don't want to get out the big machine. I got mine for about $50 several years ago--I see they currently have them on amazon for $60-70. The only thing I will mention is that it does not have a light, but overall have been very happy with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

I don't really have a specific suggestion as far as which machine, etc. - just a general thought for anyone looking to purchase a sewing machine at a good price. Sewing machine repair shops often refurbish and sell machines at a fraction of what new machines cost. They are often good resources for information, too, since they know which machines are prone to problems - and which problems, as well...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2018, 05:37 AM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Jenome makes a great small machine!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2018, 07:56 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 248 Likes on 132 Posts

Joann sells the small Janome machine. Looks like it's currently $69.99 but has free shipping (searched online Mar. 14, 2018 ). Years ago it was on sale occasionally for about $50 in the stores.

It's very lightweight/portable without taking up a large footprint on your table. Mine jammed up a few years ago and has been unusable, much to my dismay. It did last a few short years, but I'm not willing to buy another just for cards. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh my gosh I'm going to look into this too! I posted a thread a few weeks ago about wanting to stitch on my cards and not knowing how to sew. This doesn't look nearly as overwhelming as some of the other machines! (Or maybe I'm being sucked in by the fun colors of the machine... which somehow offsets the fact I don't know how to sew yet!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2018, 03:43 PM   #7  
Demo Challenge Leader

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine773View Post
Oh my gosh I'm going to look into this too! I posted a thread a few weeks ago about wanting to stitch on my cards and not knowing how to sew. This doesn't look nearly as overwhelming as some of the other machines! (Or maybe I'm being sucked in by the fun colors of the machine... which somehow offsets the fact I don't know how to sew yet!)
It is a very simple-to-operate machine. Forward stitch, reverse stitch, and zig-zag. No light, but you aren't paying for frills really. ;) I almost had to "insist" that they sell one to me years ago, as the Joann clerk was determined to convince me that this model was more of a toy and I would never be happy trying to sew with it. I already had stampy friends creating the "need" in me ... a couple were Dirty Girls at the time, and I knew if they liked it, I would. I bought it in spite of that clerk ... solely for card making. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2018, 08:11 PM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

I love my WRMK Stitch Happy for sewing on cards. It does a really nice job with twine and metallic threads. Tuesday Morning had some machines the other day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2018, 05:49 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have done lots of research on the MRMK stitch happy machine...it is cute, but terrible reviews from those that purchased it; bad customer service from the co. also. I think you might be a lucky one to get a machine that works. I like the idea of going to check out used machines, refurbished ones and I am checking in to finding a small Janome; they have a great customer rating. Thanks to all for the input. Very helpful

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a Singer machine that I use for sewing. I've always been afraid to use it to stitch paper. Perhaps I will give it a try. Does anyone know a good stitch length to use so I don't perforate the paper?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2018, 07:50 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Eloise,Funny this topic came up. I have a Pfaff for my regular sewing and I did not want to use it for cardstock. So I went to Walmart yesterday and bought a Brother SQ9285. It's a cheapie but tried it out on cardstock and it makes really nice stitches. And I don't have to have the foot pedal to sew! That's handy since I have it on top of my tall table. I threw in 3 layers of mixed weight card 65 to 110 and no problem. I'm just using the needle that's in it, but I think size 14 would be the perfect one for multiple layers.

It doesn't weigh hardly anything so it's easy to move around. And I got the 3 yr warranty just in case. But I think it'll be fine for whatever I'm going to do with it.
BlueFeather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2018, 08:13 AM   #12  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComradeBunnyView Post
I have a Singer machine that I use for sewing. I've always been afraid to use it to stitch paper. Perhaps I will give it a try. Does anyone know a good stitch length to use so I don't perforate the paper?
It will depend a little on what the available settings on your machine are. I use anything from 3 - 5. 3 is what I use for normal sewing on fabric, 5 is the longest stitch, used for gathering and temporary work on fabric. I'd suggest that you just take a scrap piece of cardstock and experiment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the information. I will try using that length with scrap paper. I looked at my machine and I have 99 stitches. I will experiment to see which ones will work with paper. One question, does stitching paper dull the needle?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #14  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

It's not generally recommended to use the same needle for fabric and paper. But occasionally I use my upstairs (card-making) machine for sewing and to be honest I don't usually bother switching needles unless I need a finer one or a ballpoint. I think I've only changed it once for a fresh one, and that was more because I gunked one up stitching through adhesive than because I felt it was getting blunt.
It's worth cleaning the machine from time to time according to the instructions in the manual; in the same way that you get lint and fluff from sewing, stuff builds up in the bobbin compartment from stitching on card.
I find many of the decorative stitches work well, I often use a scalloped one and a sort of feather-stitch one. I'll try and find a sample to link.

I like to use the slightly heavier thread sold for top-stitching and buttonholes sometimes, it gives a bolder, more defined look. A #14 needle will still be fine.

WT667 Home For Christmas

This one and the next are buttonhole thread and decorative stitches:

WT632 Weeds and Wildflowers

WT630 Perfected in Weakness

Several different stitch patterns on this one.

Use The Houses (2A)

I see Bev mentioned the Janome mini not having a light. I'd find it hard to manage without one, I must say.

Quote:

Thanks for the information. I will try using that length with scrap paper. I looked at my machine and I have 99 stitches. I will experiment to see which ones will work with paper. One question, does stitching paper dull the needle?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #15  
Demo Challenge Leader

I liked ball-point needles for stitching card stock. And if you can get 'denim' needles for your machine, those are designed with a thin yet strong shank capable of piercing denim. Two pieces of card stock sewn together are definitely heavier than two layers of many fabrics. It's an option to consider depending on your machine's performance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2018, 01:38 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought a Singer on Craigslist for $10 and it works great! I started watching it when it was priced for $50, but each week it went down $10. When it got to $10 I bought it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2018, 02:31 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

It won't hurt your machine to sew on paper. The only thing that might happen is the needle you use for paper might get dull, and then not work well when you sew fabric with your machine.

I don't understand your question about not perforating the paper? Do you plan to stitch without thread, and just have holes in your paper? If so, that would perforate it.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2018, 12:39 AM   #18  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Bugga, I thought Comrade Bunny was worried that if the stitches were too short, the paper might tear along the stitch lines. And it would ;-).

I do sometimes sew with no thread for quick and easy pierced borders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2018, 04:58 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Singer Pixie Plus it is small and I got it at Meijer a few years ago for under $50 on sale. I used it on a card, worked great, and my sister-in-law used it to sew some curtains for a school musical and it worked like a champ.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2018, 08:05 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you Cook 22, that was exactly what I was worried about.
Reply With Quote Likes