Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-24-2008, 05:41 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sewing machine suggestions?

OK - so I am hoping some of you might be able to help...amd if this is in the wrong place Mods can you please move it...

I am looking at buying a sewing machine but just not for card and scrapping (if I was going that way I would just buy the Jamome(?) one )- but a more heavy duty one

I am looking for one $100 or under...that will do some light weight sewing - think bazzillion patches on the back of brownie vests...hemming fabric.

I am looking for something easy to use but good quality...I would rather have one that is realiable and easy to use with less features.

I know nothing of sewing machines - which ones are good quality...which ones to stay away from.

Any advice/suggestions are very much appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 05:56 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Well I just returned about a $100 Singer machine and it was junk to me. I kept thinking I was going to break it. My Mom has an all metal singer and it is great but the new singers are plastic and a little junky in my opinion. I just started sewing and am also in the market for a decent sewing machine but it seems the good metal ones are expensive so I am on the garage sale hunt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 06:05 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't know of anything in your price range (I have a rather new BabyLoc that cost $500 on sale), but you might check out your local sewing machine store. I know mine takes trade-ins, maybe you can find one that someone else outgrew.

Yard sales, buyer beware...you might find a treasure, you might find a dud.

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 06:11 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

My Janome has made numerous quilts and I have sewn a ton on cards too. Just keep one needle for paper and another for fabric.
It was $300 when I got married (15 years ago) so I am sure there is something out there used that would serve your purpose. Check the papers.
Or just justify it somehow and buy a new base model Janome
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 06:38 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

My personal opinion, Kenmore machines from Sears are good little machines. My first machine was a Kenmore and I finally just replaced her after 17 yrs. I bought another Kenmore. It is just personal choice and what you feel you can afford to spend.

Before you buy your machine, see if there is a demo model that you can try out.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 02:01 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My MIL can sew and make anything (understatement of the year!)...and she is using a cheapie from Wal Mart! It is a Singer and she got it there on sale. She does not like all the bells and whistles...just wants it to stitch! I figure if she is happy with it, you might be as well. Won't hurt to check out Wally World next time you are in there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 04:02 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I do know our Target carries several Singer models, and I know at least one is priced around $100. I have not test driven them, though.

And I think my mother has an inexpensive (ie, $100 or so) Brother for basic mending.

While I do have a new BabyLoc, it replaced a 25 year old Singer that I LOVED. The BabyLoc chewed up some pink lame this past weekend....booo!! I made a whole princess costume out of the pink lame on the Singer.

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 05:15 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

With sewing machines, you get what you pay for--a cheap machine will frustrate you and take all of the fun out of sewing anything!! 100 bucks is a lot of money, but when it comes to a sewing machine you may not be able to get what you need for that price.

Your best bets are to:
1--find a local sewing machine dealer you trust and who services what they sell--ask them to look for a deal on a good used machine

2--talk with local sewers to see what they recommend and where to shop

3--check out ebay for used machines from high quality brands (look for Bernina, Pfaff, Viking)...sometimes a real steal can be had.

My oldest sewing machine was over 1000 bucks 15 years ago...and I won't tell you what the new one I bought last year cost me (I saved up for YEARS to buy that bugger!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 06:53 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I am in the market too. I seem to be leaning towards the Kenmore ones - I have used them before and was happy with results. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

my dh just got me a sewing machine from wal-mart as a suprise about a month ago. it's priced around 80-90 dollars there, but was dropped down to 69. it's a brother machine, and though everybody else says when you buy something for that cheap it's a piece of carp, i don't feel that it is. i find it very easy to thread, sew, it has multiple stitches. (the zig zag stitch is what i use the most for sewing on cardstock) anyways, i treat my machine well, and it treats me well too! i don't use it for a whole lot, mainly cardstock, but i've started making my son my own version of ugly dolls. (little monster dolls) and i've found that to be almost as easy. i did have a problem with the top needle unthreading itself, due to me not having the tension set right i think, but i'm still learning. i did figure out that all i have to do is hold the thread tails at first and it won't come unthreaded. that was just with fluffy fleece fabric though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 11:32 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollyberry926View Post
My personal opinion, Kenmore machines from Sears are good little machines. My first machine was a Kenmore and I finally just replaced her after 17 yrs. I bought another Kenmore. It is just personal choice and what you feel you can afford to spend.

Before you buy your machine, see if there is a demo model that you can try out.

Good luck!

I agree with Hollyberry. The Kenmores are good machines. My mother had one that lasted for decades, and I learned to sew on it. I now own one myself and am very happy with it.

Finally getting a gallery started...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 12:17 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I got one for $79.00 at Sears. IT is blue in color and has several different stitches available. Simple to use. I have had it for over a year now and use it all the time. I love it and the price was right.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 12:57 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I've heard good things about the Kenmore machines (though I haven't tried one personally). I have a high-end Pfaff & LOVE it. They do make some fairly basic models which are probably (?) in the $150-250 price range. I know that's a little higher than what you stated... but like someone else said, you get what you pay for. Bernina makes a good machine, too. I don't know what their prices are like. You can probably get a used Pfaff or Bernina at your local sewing machine store (go to the Pfaff or Bernina websites & I think they have store locators).

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 04:45 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for all the suggestions...I ended up buying (well DH did for Mothers Day..easiest present he ever bought) a Kenmore one that was on sale for about $79...managed to score a bunch of clearence Fiskers tools (rotary cutter, pinking shears, microtipped scissors, self healing mat and acrylic guide all for 75% off too...so check out your local Sears - I don't know why they were on Clearence maybe Sears isn't going to sell them anymore...I saw the same items at Walmart when I went to buy thread...the rotery cutter I got for about $5 was $20...)

Anyway I signed myself up for a beginning sewing class at a quilt/fabric store in town...I went there today to pay for the class...I do think I am in BIG trouble...all the pretty fabrics....like I need another hobby....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenmouerView Post
OK - so I am hoping some of you might be able to help...amd if this is in the wrong place Mods can you please move it...

I am looking at buying a sewing machine but just not for card and scrapping (if I was going that way I would just buy the Jamome(?) one )- but a more heavy duty one

I am looking for one $100 or under...that will do some light weight sewing - think bazzillion patches on the back of brownie vests...hemming fabric.

I am looking for something easy to use but good quality...I would rather have one that is realiable and easy to use with less features.

I know nothing of sewing machines - which ones are good quality...which ones to stay away from.

Any advice/suggestions are very much appreciated.
Janome has an excellent small machine that would suit your needs. Hancock Fabrics (check their site) often has it on sale for less than $100.00.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2008, 06:59 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just have to tell you...I used my Janome Sew-Mini to sew the petals on my DD's Daisy uniform...and it was TOO EASY!

I bought this little machine because I left my Singer in storage (of course, dummy me did not think I would need it). I figured I would get this because it was on sale for like $35.99 or something and I could always just use it for cards. (I got it from Hancock Fabrics online)

This little thing rocked on the patches! I am no seamstress, but just do little repairs and patch sewing for the kid's scouts...and WOW...what a value this little thing is!

It is super light and mainly plastic parts so I cannot speak to the wear and tear as mine is brand new.

Have fun shopping!
Reply With Quote Likes