Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #41  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started this thread asking ppl to convince me of ATG's greatest and now I've got one in my hot little hands! (They sure do deliver fast!) Thanks for all the input, ladies! You all rock!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2008, 12:21 PM   #42  
Mad Swapper

I think the biggest question you need to ask yourself is what adhesive do you currently use? If you're using something the ATG would replace (i.e. SNAIL or other 'tape-like' adhesive), then, yes, it is cost effective. That said, it does take some time to get used to using something so large on the small pieces that are used on cards. I find it is much easier in scrapbooking (I have the acid-free tape) as the pieces are much larger. I use the Mono Multi almost primarily on my cards because I like that I have a few seconds to position things in the right place and because it is so much easier to apply the glue, for me. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #43  
Inking Addict

I was using Creative Memories' tape runner on everything b/c the Mono wasn't permanent enough for me. CM tape runner is super-permanent. But at $5/ refill of 34 ft. it breaks the bank! It was worth the expense to me b/c its quality was superb, but if this ATG is equally as impressive then why not save a few bucks, ya know?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2008, 07:41 PM   #44  
Hardware Hotshot

I use my ATG gun for everything on my cards, down to an inch item. I am so at ease with my gun, and because it is only 1/4" it works well with anything small and large, I just love it! If it is smaller than an inch, I use glue dots.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #45  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the 714 ... and, while there is some gettin' used to using the 'Big Gun,' it works great and I'm saving $$ since I'm not buying Tape Runners every other week.

Check ebay; I saw an auction for a gun with 6 rolls of Gold tape within the last few days and the starting bid was low ... I'd have bid, but I already had one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

And... it is great on surfaces other than paper - I used it to decorate paint cans and it adhered to the metal just as well as oh so sticky tape! And sooooo much cheaper than that!

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #47  
Cardstock Collector

It is the best tool I have ever purchased, yes even better than my Cuttlebug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 12:59 AM   #48  
Pearl-ExPert

Question about the tape itself, the acid free one: What color is the tape? Clear or white or ?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 04:57 AM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 05:15 AM   #50  
Die Cut Diva

Hi......You ladies seem so hooked on this tape gun. The looks of it make me think I'm a carpenter or some industrial person.

For the 714 (can't imagine why I would want to use tape more than 1/4 inch wide), so no need for the 700. Why buy 700 and then need to get extra pieces for the adapter for 1/4 tape?

Approximately what is the weight of the 714? How long is is from the front to the back as you are holding it to use? I'm concerned about it's awkwardness in use. I take it it's sticky on both sides and you peal off a covering after you apply it?

Thanks for any reply.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 05:25 AM   #51  
Polyshrink Goddess

The ATG paper peels off and rolls up the covering--nothing to remove once the tape is applied. Very neat!

As far as weight--I WISH I had a postal scale (it's on my list of wishes) and I could tell you--but I did have a bottle of water hand--16 oz--and it is lighter than that. But the way it's weighted and balanced, I don't think it feels that heavy. (I have the 714.) And you can see very precisely where the tape is going.

From the front of my finger on the trigger to the spot on the roller where the tape contacts the paper is 4"--possibly 4-1/4" when the trigger is pulled.

It took me only a few times using it to get used to it--and now, every time my hubby comes in my craft room, I find myself telling him how much I love it!

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 05:49 AM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

I used mine for the first time last night. Yes it took me a couple swipes to get the hang of it... but once I did. I love it! So much stickier and should last me for months instead of days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #53  
Die Cut Diva

Deb Za......Thanks for the detailed response. I was concerned since it looks a lot more clumbersome and bulky than you describe. Now I understand. Just a matter of getting used to though. I go through the little plastic tape holders in a day. Between this and my Xyrons, I should be all set. I can't give up my Xyrons, they will always be the first thing I reach for for adhesive.

Thanks Again......Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 03:32 PM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

So miss breezy929 played with it yet? I have had mine for about a year now...and at first I thought it was so huge...it is perfect. Have you ladies seen the holders that are being sold on Ebay for these? I printed out the picture and my hubby made me one. It is cute as heck.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #55  
Mad Swapper

At CHA we say a new glue gun. The shape,and size were about the same, however it was slight lighter. The thing that intrigued me is that you can change out the catardiges...so if working on scrapbooks and need archival or switch to hi tact for card making and re positional. The name of the company is Glue Art and hey are out of Georgia. I intend to contact them and do a complete review of the post...I cost of the cartridges put me off a little.
FLLC (Flourishes) gallery
Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2008, 05:59 AM   #56  
Gabfest Goddess

Is this the same? A friend has this one and really likes it.

http://www.orientaltrading.com/appli...lue+Glider+Max

Last edited by AmandaW; 02-15-2008 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: forgot to add
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2008, 06:10 AM   #57  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyJoeView Post
I have several lefty stampers in my class and they have no problem with it, they felt a little awkward at first, but then quickly adapted.
But do they have to use their right hands? I'm lefty, and totaly spastic with my right hand. So I don't want to get the gun if I can't use it in my left hand...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2008, 08:45 PM   #58  
Hardware Hotshot

Mrskelly2:
NO, they use their Left hand, like I said it is a little more awkward for the lefty, but they are very used to it now and would never go back to mono.

Amanda W.:
The other gun listed is very simular, but it cost more than at framingsupplies.com, unless they went way up on their price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 04:53 AM   #59  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyJoeView Post
Mrskelly2:
NO, they use their Left hand, like I said it is a little more awkward for the lefty, but they are very used to it now and would never go back to mono.
Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2008, 12:09 AM   #60  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
Hi......You ladies seem so hooked on this tape gun. The looks of it make me think I'm a carpenter or some industrial person.

For the 714 (can't imagine why I would want to use tape more than 1/4 inch wide), so no need for the 700. Why buy 700 and then need to get extra pieces for the adapter for 1/4 tape?

Patti
A little late but there are some definite benefits to getting the 700. First of all...if you are an overgluer - like me - then the extra width is necessary. Why make two lines when you can do it with just one pass?

And the 700 is industry standard, so you can buy glue made by brands other than 3M cheaper. I actually prefer a Swiss brand over the 3M glue and it only comes in the wider widths. So I am actually saving even more money than the 714 owners. I only pay about 1.55 a roll for my tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2008, 06:51 AM   #61  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by slyn11View Post
A little late but there are some definite benefits to getting the 700. First of all...if you are an overgluer - like me - then the extra width is necessary. Why make two lines when you can do it with just one pass?
See, the 700 would not work for me, as I use this to glue down my ribbon, and since the good majority of my ribbons are 1/4 inch, this is prefect. I have not found I need bigger then a 1/4 inch strip of tape. I use the even bigger rolls of tape the 60 yard rolls and they work great. In fact I just did a swap with 2 ladies so they can try the big rolls and I can try the archival stuff to see if there is a difference really. I am not a scrapbooker, so I didn't really care about it being archival, only that it stays put. I have card that I pulled out from my box that I made about 5 years ago that have fallen apart due to the tape runners I had used (the duck brand mostly). I have also had MANY cards come to me in the mail in pieces. Most from fellow SCS's. However, how do you tell someone that their card got to you in pieces, without sounding mean? Yikes..talk about a not fun sticky situation..lol!

Anyhow, I got my 714 for Christmas and simply adore it! Use it all the time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2008, 01:00 PM   #62  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmslmomto3View Post
See, the 700 would not work for me, as I use this to glue down my ribbon, and since the good majority of my ribbons are 1/4 inch, this is prefect. I have not found I need bigger then a 1/4 inch strip of tape. I use the even bigger rolls of tape the 60 yard rolls and they work great. In fact I just did a swap with 2 ladies so they can try the big rolls and I can try the archival stuff to see if there is a difference really. I am not a scrapbooker, so I didn't really care about it being archival, only that it stays put. I have card that I pulled out from my box that I made about 5 years ago that have fallen apart due to the tape runners I had used (the duck brand mostly). I have also had MANY cards come to me in the mail in pieces. Most from fellow SCS's. However, how do you tell someone that their card got to you in pieces, without sounding mean? Yikes..talk about a not fun sticky situation..lol!

Anyhow, I got my 714 for Christmas and simply adore it! Use it all the time!
I totally know what you mean about using it on ribbon. THat is the one area the wider tape cannot go. I am thinking about getting a 714 gun too...that way I can have tape for all my needs. Having the two ATGs would save me money in the long run.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #63  
Die Cut Diva

You ladies have got me tempted to buy one of these. I go through the snail like crazy and I've not really had problems with things coming apart but I suppose if I wait long enough it will. I find myself using a lot more adhesive than I normally would just because I'm paranoid it will come off.

I had a bad experience with an ATG however so I've always shied away from it but from what you ladies have said.. I think I was using the 700 at a make and take. I just did not like it, it was bigger than 1/4 inch and didn't seem to come off the little roller cleanly. And it was an ugly industrial orange color. The 1/4" one is not an ugly color is it? Yes, I like my pretty tools.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #64  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesh4rkView Post
You ladies have got me tempted to buy one of these. I go through the snail like crazy and I've not really had problems with things coming apart but I suppose if I wait long enough it will. I find myself using a lot more adhesive than I normally would just because I'm paranoid it will come off.

I had a bad experience with an ATG however so I've always shied away from it but from what you ladies have said.. I think I was using the 700 at a make and take. I just did not like it, it was bigger than 1/4 inch and didn't seem to come off the little roller cleanly. And it was an ugly industrial orange color. The 1/4" one is not an ugly color is it? Yes, I like my pretty tools.
THe 700 and the 714 are exactly the same size gun, only the tape widths are different. THe 700 (the one with wider tape) is bright yellow, the 714 is red. It is up to you whether you think either is pretty. I personally would have liked them both to be black or a silver.

AS far as the tape not rolling smoothly. First off...there is a difference in feel between the 908 and 924 tapes...so that could have made a difference - one is tackier than the other. But I don't think the 3M tapes rolls that smoothly anyway...I mean it is fine, but once I used the Scapa tape I never looked back. That tape rolls really smoothly and has less of the odor.

That is the only downside of me buying a 714 gun, I can't use Scapa tape in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #65  
Stampin' Fool

Default another reasone to buy

I bought mine at the end of November and started having problems with it after Christmas. Now you may be wondering why I titled my response "another reason to buy". I called framing supplies, where I had purchased it and they gave me the line at 3M, the manufacturer. I had read on this board that there were some defective ATGs out there and they were replacing them. I talked to a very nice woman at 3M and she told me that the problems I was having didn't really sound like the defective guns they were replacing, but since I was having trouble with mine, she is sending me a new one and some new tape, free of charge! Is that not awesome customer service? You've heard the others extolling the virtues of the gun, so I won't go into that, but thought I would add my story about the support behind the product. ;)

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2008, 03:06 PM   #66  
Cardstock Collector

ok....this is my first post. I have to tell you you ladies are the BEST! I was on the fence about this one and you all sold me!!! I LOVE being "ENABLED"!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2008, 03:13 PM   #67  
Mad Swapper

I couldn't get the later model so have the 700 & am having trouble getting the adapter so can't use the thinner tape, however, I love this item - so time saving and I know that what I put on will STAY on!
I had bought the Scotch tape but found cheaper tape at Susan's Scrapbook Shack - it is the Stix2anything brand (gold) and I find it much better than the Scotch tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #68  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by slyn11View Post
THe 700 and the 714 are exactly the same size gun, only the tape widths are different. THe 700 (the one with wider tape) is bright yellow, the 714 is red. It is up to you whether you think either is pretty. I personally would have liked them both to be black or a silver.
I actually meant "wider" as in the tape itself was wider... probably the 1/2 in tape which was weird for me since I always use tape runners (snail).

Thanks for the info! I am definitely thinking of getting th 714. And I'll probably alter it or something to make it "prettier". Ha ha. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2008, 03:33 PM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

So Breezy do you like it by now? I have had mine for about a year and I use it to make and re-inforce all the soldier cards I send. I can always tell the cards/cardfronts made with mono...you guessed it..they ALWAYS are coming apart. ATG ROCKS.!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #70  
Stazon Splitcoast

WOW!!! I have just read all of the comments on the atg714. I have shoulder problems and was staying away from something that I thought would be cumbersome to hold and not easily used.
sounds like I might be wrong...
I just read a little comment-- forget which one of you --saying that the tape has an oder. is it a strong glue smell... I have bad allergies to smells...
sound like a whimp don't I.
Just want to be sure before I invest in something that I won't regret it when It comes!
any comments welcome!
thanks... Judy

" If you have a talent, use it in every which way possible. Don't hoard it. Don't dole it out like a miser. Spread it lavishly like a millionaire intent on going broke.
~Brendan Frances~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2008, 06:25 PM   #71  
Rubber Obsessor

So i've decided that i want this. I'm making 100+ invitations for my wedding and this would come in very handy. I put my order in on framingsupplies.com however they are out of the 714 right now and don't know when they'll get more in and i've been looking around alittle and can't find a good price on one. i need to get working on my invites (the wedding is in june) and don't have the time to wait long can you recomend another place to get one? Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2008, 07:48 PM   #72  
Hardware Hotshot

I have never smelled anything, as far as I am concerned there is no odor. NO one in my class, they all have one, smells anything, we get our tape from framingsupplies.com. Maybe they get their tape somewhere else. OUr tape doesn't smell, we get the tape for the 714, 3M 924.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2008, 07:55 PM   #73  
Stampin' Fool

Default ATG tape odoe?

I bought a box of 12 rolls when I bought my ATG and I think that the whole box of tape has a bit of an odor, but each roll individually does not. I keep my tape rolls in a plastic shoebox with some punches and I only notice the slight odor when I reach in to get another roll of the good stuff! ;)

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 05:27 AM   #74  
Inking Addict

okay... everyone sold me too. I came on here looking for something better than the dotto because I just ran out of adhesive..... :( I will purchase mine today
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 08:20 AM   #75  
Kookie Creator

Sold!
Thanks a lot ladies!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #76  
Watercolor Wizard

I bought one also on Friday! I can't wait until I get it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #77  
Kookie Creator

Ok I just could not hold out any longer. I just ordered one from that frame place. Thanks a lot for being enabled once again!!!! This site costs me a ton of $ and I say that as I try to wipe the smile off my face!

Can't wait to roll my new toy for the first time.

Off to stalk the brown guy this week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 05:43 PM   #78  
Inking Addict

findtape.com is a good source also. they have a brand that is not 3m it is cheaper. I use that one. I also have the 3m one. I like the 1/2 inch tape and you can got it so much cheaper at findtape.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 08:28 AM   #79  
Die Cut Diva

Where are you ladies buying your ATG dispenser so recently? Everywhere I called said they were out of stock (this was last week).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #80  
Hardware Hotshot

Bluesh4rk
I purchased mine from framingsupplies.com, great price and service.
Reply With Quote Likes