Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: which do you prefer?
Scor-it 25 47.17%
Scor-pal 28 52.83%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2007, 08:59 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scor-pal vs. scor-it

hey,

This is purely an acedemic exercise for me, as I can't purchase either right now, but I am obsessed with the Scor-it and Scor-pal boards. Which is better? So I am hoping those with one or the other will posts good and bad points. I would like to add one to my birthday wish list...
I was thinking I liked the centering ruler on the Scor-it, but then I watched a video demo using the Scor-Pal, and you can easily score at 4.5 and 9.5 or whatever, without moving the paper, and that seems like it would be great for following tuts and patterns...
http://scor-pal.com/index.htm
http://www.scorit.com/products.html?...nName=Products

Thanks for any tips/opinions!

Anne
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 09:26 AM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Is it likely someone will have an actual preference- or merely be able to say they like the one they got?

I wonder how many people had the chance to try out both before buying one?

(You know, just to poke holes in your study!)

I don't have either, but I'd lean towards the less expensive one (scor-pal) because it seems to do the same job. But I wouldn't have the chance to try either before buying, so I don't think I could say, even if I owned it and loved it, that I prefered it to the other (since I've never tried the other)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 10:20 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I was kinda hoping. Like if a friend had one, and they got the other?
Or somehow saw the other???
sigh.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 10:43 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I tried to vote, but for some reason it won't let me. Hmmm...I was don't have either, but am wishing. Nothing wrong with that, right? I mainly make cards, so my vote is for the Scor-it. I like the metal groove...I think it'd be easier to use, for me..a nice deep groove, from what I've learned. I don't make boxes and the like and consider myself to be pretty good with measurements/math so that's not a problem for me (something people like the scor-pal for). I still can't justify the expense though...only if I could get it with a coupon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 11:21 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weird. I tried to answer the poll and got a "You do not have permission to access this page message." ??

Anyhow, I was voting for the Scor-It since that is what I have. I've never tried the other.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 11:28 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

LOL, it won't let me view the results, and I started the dang thing. Must be some gremlins from the down time? I did find a good thread on the subject by searching for "scor-it" or maybe "scor-pal" tho.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 11:43 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I love my scor-it, but I really need to use it for more than just scoring cards down the center. But it ROCKS at doing THAT! I've never seen or used a Scor-pal, so I can't attest to its virtues.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 12:24 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I voted for scor-it because that is the one I have and the one I've seen in person. I have never seen scor-pal..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I voted for the Scor-it. I just got one and it makes amazing scores, you don't need a bone folder. It looks like the Scor-pal does basically what I do now with my trimmer. But I have never seen a Scor-Pal irl. I will be demonstrating the Scor-it on an upcoming episode of Scrap Time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2007, 09:08 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

The Scor-Pal has been available to the general public for just the past two weeks. We have received awesome comments saying they absolutely love their new tool. Some of the comments will be on the web site soon as we add a Testimonial/Review page. Stay tuned.
Diana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2007, 09:32 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I just got my Scor-Pal today (thanks Diana!!) and I love it...I'm going to make sure that all my classes get to try it out cuase we do a lot of scoring for boxes and fancy folds....I made a box tonight in less than 5 minutes using my SP....it's a godsend!!

Ink Fumes Make You Crazy-->Inksanity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2007, 08:26 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a scor-it and I love it but can't compare it to anything else since I haven't tried any others. I also tried to vote but it said I didn't have permission- can't view the results either.
Beatrice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2007, 01:13 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I chose the Scor-it because I wanted the the hinged score, but it was a very tough decision when I was waffling between the two. I was able to use a 30% off coupon at Archiver's for mine, so the prices were pretty close. That being said, I believe both are great tools. You just need to decide which features are more important to you.

Scor-it: hinged/professional score, stop guide helps when doing multiples of a project, non-slip surface for your paper (not sure about the Scor-pal surface since I did not get to try one out).

Scor-pal: do not need to move the paper to do multiple scores, slightly cheaper in cost

One other feature I like about using the Scor-it is that I get a nice crisp fold even when folding against the grain. Perhaps someone with a Scor-pal can tell us if this works with this scoring tool as well??

I would also like to mention that Diane Crick was very patient in answering all of my questions about the Scor-pal.

Mary Ann

~~ My slowly growing gallery ~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2007, 01:21 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

OK, I have lots of answers, I'll continue to monitor board for a while and then let you all know which one I chose. Glad to see I'm not the only one having a time of it deciding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Thumbs up Site will not let me vote

but my vote is for SCOR-PAL. I feel qualified to give my opinion having tried both products. My sister purchased the Scor-it for our mother last year. I tried it and found it to be extremely heavy, limiting on the scor line with only one channel and the wooden scoring tool always caused a tear in the crease. I tried several different times and with several different types of paper and almost always got a tear in the fold.

I recently purchased the Scor-pal from Diana Crick and not only is she the sweetest lady to talk to, her product is the BEST!! The Scor -pal is light weight yet durable thanks to it's solid construction. I like the fact that the scor tool snaps in and out of it's special "home" on the product. The fact that there are scor lines across the product allow me to make scors with out having to move my paper-measure and re-position my paper. I made a tr-fold card last night with ease. The lines were crisp and did not tear at all.

I would recommend the SCOR-Pal to anyone and in fact have written a product review on my blog (http:iscrap4love.blogspot.com)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2007, 02:41 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks Cheryl!

I was really hoping someone would post that had tried both products!!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2007, 06:41 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Scor-It and have NEVER had it rip my paper. I LOVE this toy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

I still can not vote, so I will say that I love my scor-it. I like that I can score my paper at odd sizes if I need to, not just the preset limits that are on the scor pal. I have never ever had any of my papers rip or even tear or bend when scoring with this and I have scored everything from light weight text paper to heavy weight cover stock and bristol board. I like how the handle for the scor-it is attached to the board, I put two pieces of velcro on my handle of my scor-it and also on my board, so my blade now stores easily on the side of the scor-it. I love the customer service I have gotten from the folks at scor-it. Anyhow, I have not tried a scor pal as this item has only been on the market a very short time and I can not justify spending money on another product when I have one that works great. Good luck and hopefully you can make the survey work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2007, 09:26 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

This is a timely question as I'm thinking about getting some kind of scoring tool as well. I have tried the Score it at my LSS (Archivers), but I've not seen the score-pal except for the photos on the website link you gave. But it seems as if there are 2 main differences in the products- how the channel/score is made, and how the measuring is done.

score it- I didnt like that I had to adjust and move the endstop each time I wanted to score at a different length. I suppose since the bed of the tool has a non-skid material on it, I could have just held it in place? The score it has a metal blade that you lay your cardstock over, and the handle has a notch that you put over the channel and run over the cardstock to make the groove. I used it to make about 5 cards at a make n take, but it did rip the paper when I made my first run-through. I pressed too hard. When I used a lighter touch the score turned out very nice! A very professional looking card

score pal- This is the information I gather from the pics. Can someone who has used or own this tool confirm my assumptions please? It appears as if this one works the reverse from the other scoring tool. I like that the measurements are all across the top, enabling multiple creases easily. Line it up at the top, and your crease should be straight. It looks like a 12x12 sheet will fit on the bed? Run the bone folder type tool into the paper, and into the channel groove. I am wondering what the quality of the groove is (especially compared to the other tool), and how hard will I have to push to get it that way.

Maybe check the dealers page on the score-it to see if you can visit a LSS that has one to test it out for yourself. I'd like to hear more full reviews/comparisons of both products before I'm ready to make the leap to purchase. I think(!) I'm leaning towards the score pal, based on price and hoping to get assurance that I will like the quality of the score line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2007, 04:53 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Great thread as I also have been wanting to get a scoring tool, also! Have not seen or used either the score pal or score it. Do you know of any videos posted where we can see them in action?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2007, 06:18 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

I don't have either one, so can't give my opinion. But, the Craftmart near me has the Scor-It and they have 40% off coupons all the time, so I am leaning towards that one. I have actually had it in my hand twice, and both times decided to look here first for everyone's opinion. When I go there this afternoon, I may just break down and get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2007, 07:43 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
Also in response to the post by mnhyrkas, the stop doesn't need to be used. I actually can't find mine right now but I've still been scoring happily and successfully with it. In fact even when I knew where the stop was, I only used it if I was scoring many cards over and over, the same size.
Thanks, gale, for explaining about the stop, that it isn't really necessary to use the Scor-It.

I don't own either of these scoring tools, but I tried the Scor-It at my LSS. It makes a beautiful, perfect score.

If I was ever going to buy one, it would be the Scor-It, because I like the idea of centering the paper on the scoring channel. I currently use my Fiskars trimmer for scoring, and I get so frustrated if the cardstock isn't exactly 8.5 inches wide, so scoring at 4.25 from one end results in an off-center score. Seems like that would never be a problem on the Scor-It, but it could be a problem with Score Pal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2007, 09:41 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna741View Post
Thanks, gale, for explaining about the stop, that it isn't really necessary to use the Scor-It.

I don't own either of these scoring tools, but I tried the Scor-It at my LSS. It makes a beautiful, perfect score.

If I was ever going to buy one, it would be the Scor-It, because I like the idea of centering the paper on the scoring channel. I currently use my Fiskars trimmer for scoring, and I get so frustrated if the cardstock isn't exactly 8.5 inches wide, so scoring at 4.25 from one end results in an off-center score. Seems like that would never be a problem on the Scor-It, but it could be a problem with Score Pal.
hmmm. I'm math challenged and didn't like having to figure out what my middle was gonna be. maybe it will be a personal preference kind of thing.

And on the tearing- probably with a tiny bit of practice it wouldn't ever end up being an issue.

what's the deal with the hinged fold? maybe I dont know what that is. is it something that both tools are not able to do?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Ellen Hutson has a photo link on her blog that shows a regular score (cardstock looks cracked/has ripples) vs a hinged score created using the Scor-it.
I purchased the plastic Scor-it instead of the maple version, so my board is quite light. I only use the stop guide when I am making multiples of a project and want to quickly score at the same measurement over and over. Otherwise, I just line up my paper and hold it down for the score. The nonslip surface makes that pretty easy. It took me awhile to realize I was better off using the metal strip as a centering ruler for scoring cardstock in half (DoH!) since all paper is not always true to size.

I did slightly tear my cardstock on one of my first scores, but I was easily able to adjust how hard I was pressing and haven't had a problem since.

I do wish that the Scor-it had a permanent slot for storing the scoring tool like the Scor-pal as well as the stop guide. I used a couple of velcro dots to secure mine and that works fine. I will need to do somethin similar for the stop guide soon before I lose it!

Mary Ann

~~ My slowly growing gallery ~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2007, 12:28 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Scor-It here......never tried the Pal. Never have torn my paper either. Half the time I don't bother with the stop. I love the professional deep hinge.
Reply With Quote Likes